140 East Walton
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedrakehotel.com/dining/drake-bros
- Phone: 3129324626x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast served 6:30-11:30am, lunch served 11:30am-2pm, Monday-Saturday. Breakfast served 6:30am-1pm on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Franco Diaz
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Drake Bros'
Rich oak wood and verdant greenery set the stage for this classic restaurant perched above the corner of the Magnificent Mile and the Gold Coast, with beautiful panoramic view of lake Michigan and Lake Shore Drive. Here guests enjoy outstanding service for breakfast and lunch 365 days a year.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Drake Bros' reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Eat with a ViewDeeDeeDined on 8/31/2014We love eating at Drake Bros. This was the first time we were there for the Breakfast Bar. There were four of us. The fresh made-to-order omelets were fantastic, and everyone loved the sausages. The fresh fruit was wonderful and Greek yogurt, candied nuts or dried cranberries could be added. There were fabulous cinnamon rolls with a hint of almond that we all loved. Our waiter was super, and we had a lovely time. We had a window table with a view of Oak Street Beach and the lake. Great spot for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected delight!MJHMVIPDined on 8/15/2014There are so many great restaurants in Chicago, and this is a lessor known restaurant in the Drake Hotel. Definitely worth a visit if you'd like a break from the hubbub - it's quiet with a nice view, not crowded and the lobster rolls were delicious.Special Features:
- Old Time ClassicDeeDeeDined on 8/9/2014I had requested a table with a view of the lake and Oak Street Beach, which we got. There were only a few other tables with customers. I don't know why this restaurant is always so empty. (The tea room was full, though with groups). I guess folks might think it's too stuffy. Anyway, we loved it because we had a great view, and it was nice and quiet for lots of great conversation. I ordered the grilled whitefish with grilled asparagus and mashed potatoes. I thought it was excellent. My husband had the lobster roll with french fries and he said it was very good. Our cousin had the salmon over grilled mixed vegetables. Everyone enjoyed the food, but it wasn't anything extraordinary. All in all we had a very pleasant time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and viewNanBDined on 7/29/2014I took my nieces (14&16) here for a birthday lunch. Service could not have been more attentive and courteous. We had the perfect table with a view of Lake Shore Drive, Mag Mile and the Oak Street beach. Food was very good: I had the lobster roll sandwich and their signature cole slaw. Very tasty, fresh ingredients nicely prepared. One niece had the turkey club and she said it was great. The other niece had the Flat Iron Steak. She said it was delicious and very tender. This was a good choice for us because I wanted a quiet place with a nice atmosphere where we could talk comfortably. And that it was. This is a quietly elegant old classic room, some would consider it dated or even staid. It was perfect for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor QualityJamesVIPDined on 5/30/2014The general quality of the food was poor - very disappointing - will not return.
- Classic. Best viewFoodTechVIPDined on 5/25/2014I come here once a year for breakfast/brunch. Eggs Benedict are classic. Service is impeccable. Views of LSD are phenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 120 reviews are from the Drake Bros' reviews archive.
- Loved our Easter brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014It was less than half the cost of the Easter brunch in the Drake's main restaurant...but I was happy to do with out the walking bunny and ever flowing champagne. The guy making the omelets was skilled and the fare of fresh and varied. My wife, son and I had a most memorable Easter there.Special Features:
- DisappointmentNatalieVIPDined on 2/23/2014We stayed at Drake and has a great time. Drake Bros for breakfast was judge disappointment. Mediocre buffet that we passed on, the food to oder ear eatable. If you in downtown Chicago you want something special. Especially at Drake. This is not special or even decent food place. Go to Cafe Lux or even Cheesecakes factory instead.Special Features:
- Our server was really overworkedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2014Our server was really overworked but really nice and efficient. The hostess disappeared for several minutes and there was a long line waiting to be seated when she returned. It appeared they were busier than expected and were understaffed. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view of the LakeCranberriesVIPDined on 1/27/2014We always enjoy breakfast at Drake Bros, especially if we can be seated at the window, looking out over Lake Michigan (frozen in sub-zero weather this time). The breakfast buffet is outstanding, but it was not open this time, so we ordered from the menu -- oatmeal, eggs, bagels. Everything done just right and nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchRichDined on 1/12/2014We had a small birthday brunch for myself and it was perfect. The wait staff was great and the food was wonderful. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerBB2014Dined on 12/25/2013My partner and I booked for Christmas Dinner as we were visiting from Australia and were staying at the hotel. From the moment we arrived at the restaurant we were provided with the most amazing service. Our waiter was so friendly and provided us with perfectly timed service of food and drinks. Even though it was just the two of us the ambience created by the carollers and Santa walking around made us feel so relaxed and festive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas dinnerDon1Dined on 12/25/2013Semi fixed menu for Xmas was poor choices and sent prime rib dinners back due to toughness. Waiter had uncaring attitude. A very disappointing Xmas dinner at a supposedly good restaurant at the Drake hotel. Won't ever go back as they have amateurish waiters and poor chef.
- Great Christmas DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/25/2013I took my family to Drake Brothers for Christmas Dinner. From the moment we reached the table we had great service from Gjergj. Champagne kept flowing throughout the dinner and very accommodating to finicky kid appetite. Visit at table by Santa and Dickens Carolers was really great. Variety within four course menu had something for everyone. Very popular - it was fun to have hustle and bustle in the restaurant and hotel. Pictures by lobby tree and gingerbread Chicago was also funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Dinner at Drake Bros.rosieVIPDined on 12/25/2013We came to your restaurant on Christmas. The service was slow. The food was mediocre...at best. It was a disappointment, to say the least. We have dined in some of the other restaurants in The Drake Hotel, and had a good experience. We have made it a tradition to go out for Christmas dinner downtown for the past 11 years. We have been to The Ritz, The Peninsula, and The Four Seasons, I will not choose Drake Bros. again. The Christmas Carolers were good....that was about it. The wine list is a joke.
- Christmas DinnerBACarleyDined on 12/25/2013The food was excellent and the holiday decor was both elegant and festive. The staff were all accommodating and seemed genuinely interested in making everyone's Christmas dinner a special occasion. Loved the carolers - who took time to stop at every table. And Santa visited with everyone - young and old - as well. We would definitely do this again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go every year to the DickensBarbaraTDined on 12/22/2013Go every year to the Dickens brunch and wouldn't miss it. Just love the food, the service, the carolers and SANTA!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Christmas decorOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2013The Drake does an incredible job every year with their decorations! The have one of the most beautifully decorated trees!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/12/2013We went for lunch around Christmas time and the Drake decorates exactly how I expected the Drake decorate. The food was very good, we had a great view and the atmosphere was great for Christmas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the SoupSMAgolferVIPDined on 11/12/2013The Bookbinder soup is unparalleled (assuming you like fish soup). It alone is reason enough to go. The chopped salad with grilled shrimp is also very good. The portion of the salad could be a little larger, but it is adequate. At lunch time, the place is almost empty, so if you want quiet, this is the place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulWonderfulviewVIPDined on 9/18/2013We always make sure to eat at the Drake Bros on our annual visit to Chicago--wonderful food and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2013The brunch was very good and the service was excellent. My wife and I especially enjoyed the decor of the hotel. We would return to the brunch without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pizazz speakspizazzDined on 5/15/2013The only thing I would recommend would be to have a vegetarian option entree, such as a sandwich of some type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were disappointed we wereCaseyDined on 4/21/2013We were disappointed we were not able to be seated in the room with a view of the lake.Special Features:
- We enjoyed a very nice breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2013We enjoyed a very nice breakfast with a wonderful lake view. The staff was attentive and appreciated us being there.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialDougVIPDined on 3/31/2013Reservations were for Easter Brunch. Brunch was good but nothing special. Typical brunch foods. Minimal dessert. Service was exeptional. Good for breakfast when staying at hotel, but was a poor choice for the holiday.
- The staff was exceptional.LinzDined on 3/31/2013The staff was exceptional. Very accomidating. The Easter brunch buffet was wonderful and reasonably priced (compared to the ballroom brunch at over 100 dollars). It was kid friendly and we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Mike and Angjelina were ourKenkashDined on 3/31/2013Mike and Angjelina were our servers and they were superb!Special Features:
- Our family has enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Our family has enjoyed the Drake Easter brunch for three years now. Our three yo and 1 yo had a great time doing all of the kid activities.Special Features:
- Great Easter Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2013We had a wonderful Easter brunch. Very traditional, and very enjoyable.Special Features:
- I took my family because IFoodmaven1VIPDined on 3/23/2013I took my family because I like the buffet. They liked it too. I don't like the potatoes. I like the croissants, greek yogurt is like Middle Eastern labneh. They have many options. The scrambled eggs aren't bad.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere on a wet,EmptynesterDined on 3/9/2013Cozy atmosphere on a wet, chilly day, with a wonderful view of Lake Michigan. Casual lunch menu...the fruit served on the side was fresh and delicious, as were the sandwiches and huge lobster roll. The service could not have been more welcoming, responsive or attentive. I would recommend this to anyone needing a relaxing break from shopping or other downtown Chicago activities.Special Features:
- Boring, generic Hilton buffet.AtldeuceVIPDined on 2/24/2013Boring, generic Hilton buffet. Skip it and go someplace local with a good atmosphere. Honestly, for $25 bucks, it wasn't a terrible value, but who cares. Could have been in any hotel. Expected more from the Drake.
- Less than satisfactory brunchBlueIrishEyesDined on 12/30/2012this place is NOT a place I'd ever suggest for a "great brunch". We invited friends to join us, and it was a simple eggs, omelet, juice joint. A great brunch would have had a carving station, especially for the money they asked for a Sunday brunch. It was a huge disappointment and I was embarrassed that our friends had to pay for parking for a breakfast that was marginal, at best. Will definitely not eat brunch there again.
- Breakfast at the "Drake"ExdeanDined on 12/28/2012We always have breakfast at the Deake Brothers on our visits to Chicago. Started going there in the 1950's when it was the Drake (Sorry Hilton, but it's just not the Drake, just like Macy's is not like Fields.) However, the food and service is still excellent. We had a kjmini problem with one entree and it was handled very professionally by the staff. Much appreciated. We will return for Eggs Benedict on English muffins!Special Features:
- Xmas lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Excellent Christmas lunch. Fantastic festive setting with loads of really nice Xmas decorations. Great food, unlimited champagne, great desserts for $95. My children loved a very authentic, maybe even the real, Santa Claus and the carol singers.Special Features:
- First, it was buffet-only,OpenTableProVIPDined on 12/23/2012First, it was buffet-only, and I was not notified of this in advance. Also, the buffet was very limited for the price. I felt ripped off.
- The Dickens brunch was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012The Dickens brunch was very picturesque. However, there were very limited kid friendly options. It would have been easy to set up an extra table with kids fare but this was not done. The price was reasonable for adults but much too high for kids.Special Features:
- I was disappointed that weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/20/2012I was disappointed that we arrived and brunch was not being served even though I had checked on the Drake website that stated brunch was served every day. Despite that we had a very good breakfast off the al la carte menu.Special Features:
- We had a very enjoyable breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012We had a very enjoyable breakfast overlooking lake Michigan. Service level was fantasict and the food was enjoyable. Overall we really enjoyed our experience.Special Features: