735 Southwest 1st Avenue
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dragonwellbistro.com/
- Phone: 5032240800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Firday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Delivery, Fireplace, Happy Hour, High Tea, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Whether you are looking to cater a corporate function or hosting a private party in the comfort of your home, Dragonwell Bistro will deliver in the Portland metropolitan area. A 24 hour advance notice is appreciated. A $100 minimum is required.
- Private Party Facilities: We will transform our dining room into a venue for all of your special event: corporate meetings, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, and retirement. Catered and hosted by our professional dining room staff and bartender. Customized menus for sit down dinning or buffet options available to fit every different needs and budget. Call us today at 503.224.0800 or email us at email@example.com and let us help you make plans for an unforgettable experience at the Dragonwell Bistro!
A word from Dragonwell Bistro
Growing up among the clatter of silverware and plates in his parents’ restaurants, owner Jack Chu went off to China to work as a Business Consultant after he earned his MBA. There, he tasted authentic Chinese food in various regions. When he moved back to Portland with his wife, they opened Dragonwell Bistro. In the restaurant, large, arched windows stretch from the floor to the exposed rafters, allowing natural light to bring to life the color of dishes arranged artfully on plates. Chef Chen draws upon decades of experience as he forges sweet and savory sauces, such as a combination of champagne and orange juice destined to glaze lightly battered chicken; or sautéed shrimps with fresh Dragonwell loose leaf green tea from Hangzhou, China. Traditional steamed dumplings, Xiao Long Bao are freshly made from stratch each morning. Daily happy hour offers local wine, sake, ginger-infused vodka, and green-tea liqueur add exotic twists to cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dragonwell Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- wonderful service, large menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Service is really great, lots to choose from on the menu. We chose spicy beef and curry chicken, both really good. You can get brown rice or white. Sapporo on tap. Atmosphere was just right, beautiful lighting, a few children there but noise level was fine. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- dihughesVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had some initial difficulty in finding the restaurant but everything else about our evening was very nice. The space is sort of on the corner near the Max. I have a very defined method for picking a Chinese restaurant. Their appetizers have to be excellent and they were. They do a great Shao Lin Bao with a fresh ginger and black rice vinegar dipping sauce and the potstickers were flavorful. It has to serve excellent Moo Shu pork and the Kung Pao Chicken has to be chicken, peanuts and peppers to give it the required heat, no vegetables! We also tried the Crispy Prawns With Honeyed Walnuts and the fried eggplant in gon bon. They also have brown rice. Everything was very good! Their location, ehh, but the food requires the effort to find it.Special Features:
- Good but doesn't stand outpekingduckDined on 9/6/2014The service was a little slow for the time of day and for the number of diners in the restaurant. I've had better dumplings at another restaurant but then again dumplings were their specialty. Overall the entrees were good and I would go again but only if other members of my party wanted to go.Special Features:
- Quality Seafood, Poultry, VeggiesGodzillaDined on 8/25/2014At dinner, seasoning is on the very mild side (even when the menu says spicy), but can be easily adjusted with a request to the server. Quality of the various seafoods, poultry and vegetables is excellent. Preparation time is consistent with "prepare to order." Prices are a bit high, but once again reflect the high quality and fresh preparation (worth every dime). Service is friendly and well informed. I strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent executionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Dragonwell consistently has some of the very best of Chinese Foods, the service is very good and the atmosphere puts it at a different level than other Chinese in the area. Try it and you likely won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Fantastic find!jmdctoDined on 8/8/2014We wanted a good Chinese restaurant during our vacation in Portland. After reading the reviews we decided to try Dragonwell Bistro for our two-family group of 12. They weren't busy the night we arrived (all the local foodies apparently were in a nearby park for some outdoor food festival). Our waiter was very cheery and knew the menu well. We took several of his recommendations, loved every selection (especially the sautéed green beans and the Mongolian Beef, the latter of which our kids liked so much we ordered a second dish). The food came quickly and was presented well. We ate to our hearts content and had a fantastic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWFUL!SamyeDined on 7/17/2014We made reservations through open table and got confirmed. When our party arrived at the restaurant, there was a sign at the door saying it was closed. When we called to figure out what was going on, this very horrible employee poorly explained they had to close down because there was an issue in their kitchen or something. Well, we did not get a phone call nor an e-mail advising us of the problem! It was ridiculous. Why do we even bother to add our contact info when making reservations, if they won't even contact you when your reservation is cancelled?!! We asked the employee about receiving a call, and she did not know what say and gave a RIDICULOUS excuse"I thought somebody had called you already". THIS PLACE SUCKS IN CUSTOMER SERVICE.
- Simple and Deliciousamanoelle83Dined on 7/3/2014My sister dislikes most Asian foods, so getting her to agree to eating at a Chinese restaurant is like pulling teeth. The area around the bistro is a bit sketchy...I managed to convince her we should try someplace new and we both loved it! The food was so fresh and actually tasted clean. They make everything in house except for the tofu, but that is still made locally in SE Portland. We had the Veggie lo-mein, veggie spring rolls, and broccoli beef and it was all so good. They have a house tea blend that they mix themselves and it was also very good. We will definitely be stopping in again! Having Frank Sinatra sing to you really adds a little something extra!Special Features:
- Great place, good food & serviceSam1957Dined on 7/2/2014Very accommodating for larger groups, nice atmospher and very friendly staff. Would recommended this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Dragonwell Bistro reviews archive.
- My favorite downtown dining spotDanimoDined on 5/10/2014Incredible service, great tasting food, and the happy hour cocktails have never disappointed me. Go for happy hour, and enjoy incredible food at affordable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedlos2014Dined on 4/25/2014There were two parties going on at the time so our table go terrible service and the food was ok until the main course(which was terribly bland).
- Best Chinese food in PortlandAustinGirlsDined on 4/7/2014We had a great experience here on our visit to Portland. It was walking distance from our hotel in the city center, and also conveniently located next to light rail and bus stops if you were traveling from elsewhere. The service was excellent and the food recommendations were on point. We would definitely come back if we are in Portland again!Special Features:
- Best Orange Chicken Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014Dragonwell Bistro has great service, amazing food, and wonderful location. The food is all scratch made and you can definitely tell. Love Orange Chicken? Go Here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our lunch; serviceDiva50Dined on 3/3/2014Enjoyed our lunch; service was excellent. Comfortable atmosphere and lots of choices for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Downtown FavoriteFoodFanDined on 2/22/2014It's the 3rd time I've been to Dragonwell for dinner, and once again they exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. The food was once again absolutely delicious. Perfectly cooked and beautiful in presentation. We had their Crispy Honey Pecan Shrimp that comes with a creamy tangerine sauce that is dreamy beyond compare and a Crispy Orange Champagne Chicken. Both tasted delightful. The restaurant feel roomy and open, and is very tastefully decorated with just the right amount of class. The workers, with the exception of one were friendly, helpful, and accommodating. All in all a perfect meal in a perfect spot.Special Features:
- OK experienceShelleyBDined on 2/1/2014Dragon Well was just OK Atmosphere was good, but lights could be dimmed a bit Waiter was good, a little chatty Drinks were fair, once we rec'd them, however they were out of pineapple juice and had to purchase more from another restaurant! This is disappointing given the drinks we ordered were their signature cocktails that the waiter suggested Presentation of entrees was lacking after having such well plated appetizers Quality of entrees were bland
- Nice bartenderLen23Dined on 1/31/2014The service was slow but tolerable. Bartender was nice to check in on us occasionally instead of the waitress. Food selection and drinks were good, a tad too oily and salty for our liking but otherwise quite palatable. The Xiao Long Bao was tasty but disappointed that all 8 dumplings were torn upon arrival and thus no soup left in them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/choices, limited serviceECOSUDined on 1/25/2014For this whole restaurant on a Saturday night at dinner there was 1 server. He took all the orders for drinks and food. He was friendly but busy. Someone else brought out the food, but that makes it hard because we were a large group and that person didn't know which part of the group ordered what. During ordering the server had to step away twice to take other orders and to check on other tables. After we ordered he maybe checked on us once and we were there almost 2 hours. One order was misplaced. Overall, the food is quite good. And the drink selection is varied. We had kids at our table and it was kid friendly, although large glasses for small kids can be dangerous. We will be back though. Just maybe for Happy Hour next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Partyfoodlovers4foodDined on 1/24/2014We had a wonderful surprise bithday party at Dragonwell Bistro and the food was great, on time, hot and the wait staff was friendly, warm and not overbearing, but helpful and prompt. We had 11 in our party and 7 of them had never been to Dragonwell Bistro, but they be back, now that they have had agreat time there. Thank you to the management and staff for a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Kuddo's AgainFoodFanDined on 12/26/2013Once again, the food was excellent in every way. There was a large table (14 or so) being served at the same time, so our service was good until it was time to pay, it seemed like we waited for several minutes for the bill to come, and then be completed. The staff were friendly and helpful, the restaurant was clean, tidy and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not gluten free friendly this timeCicadaDined on 12/25/2013Our server was resistant to asking questions of the kitchen about whether or not items contained gluten. This limited my options a lot on what was our Christmas dinner. This place was listed on urbanspoon as gluten free friendly but that wasn't the case. I have been here two times before for happy hour and had great service. Unfortunately, due to the poor service and disregard of food intolerances, I will not return here. Good local wine options.Special Features:
- Christmas Eve dining experienceScotteDined on 12/24/2013Family of 7 went for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner of Chinese food. Been to Dragonwell before, but it had been a few years. Started slow since our table was not ready at our reserved time. Hostess was most apologetic and offered us free appetizers. It all worked well for us and the food was good. Hard to find really good chinese food in Portland, but this was a good experience and the service was most attentive. The hostess really tried to make this a good experience for us and it all worked. The extra effort made everyone happy and we all said that we will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor FlavorSWPDXDined on 12/7/2013We Had the Xia Long Bao, Bok Choy With fresh black mushrooms & Hong Kong Style Beef Chow Fun. Very tasty and cooked perfectly. Good drinks and the wait staff was friendly and attentive. Looking forward to my next visit. We went on a Saturday night around 7pm. It wasn't crowded. I hope these guys stay open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great and waiter a hoot!ManzanmanDined on 11/30/2013I knew the food would be good but didn't expect a waiter who knew the menu inside and out and who was funny to boot. It was topped when the owner stopped by. The general tsao chicken was crispy with a tangy, slightly spicy sauce. Very nice. Dry sauteed string beans the best ever . . . cooked just to a nice crispy skin over al dente approach and a sauce that was great. These are old standards and Dragon Well hit it just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodTravel12Dined on 11/29/2013Really liked the food, they help was nice and helpful, just not enough of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2013I give this place 4 out of 5 stars. The service was great (we got there before the dinner crowd came) and the food was delicious. My husband & I are pretty salt sensitive so it's always tricky going out to eat b/c most places over salt their food. I Would highly recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food outranked servicebikerchickDined on 11/11/2013I have been to this establishment twice now and both times the food has been excellent but there is no one in the place. Perhaps that is because of their business practices and service. They made it seem like seating us was going to be a challenge even though we had reservations and there was literally no one else in the place. It was comical really. 2nd-if you are there for dinner they DO NOT honor the Happy Hour wine and drink prices. You pay full price...WHAT?? And then while their entrees were delicious they DO NOT come with rice. You can get rice, you just have to pay extra.Special Features:
- Portland's Best Oriental FareFoodFanDined on 10/25/2013Dined at Dragonwell on Sister's Birthday. Went early 5:00PM, delighted not busy, & noisy. Tried the special appetizer, pork filled dumpling (like pot sticker but round & steamed) w/ soup inside served w/ black rice vinegar and ginger slivers) Divine. MuShu pork was best I've ever eaten, & served tableside w/ flaming sauce. Honey pecan shrimp served beautifully & also delicious, shrimp cooked to perfection. I requested Salt Pepper Chicken which was actually not on the menu, but they happily accommodated me. Service very well done by a delightful gal who knew her stuff. A PERFECT dinning experience. By all rights this place should be one of the busiest in Portland. If you haven't eaten here, you're missing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great pricejwsc2Dined on 10/12/2013Really enjoyed our meal. We were looking for great Chinese food while visiting Portland, and this did not disappoint. Great service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good handmade meal!BrianBDined on 10/12/2013Nicely furnished restaurant. Friendly wait staff. Food was hot and fresh. The Xiao Long Bao, one of their specialties, was very tasty, especially with the accompanying black vinegar ginger sauce. They were served scorching hot, but the wait staff cautioned us ahead of time. I was pleasantly surprised at the house special fried rice, which was light and fluffy and tasted of the components instead of the typical heavy soy flavor of most Chinese food spots. The portions are large enough to share and I highly recommend getting two or three to split amongst the table. Glad that we went!Special Features:
- Reservationcar2dineDined on 9/23/2013I had a negative experience with my reservation through Open Table at this restaurant. I arrived 5 minutes late and was told my table had been given away because the policy is to do so 15 minutes after the reserved time. The host told me they had my reservation down for 12:15 when I had reserved 12:30. I discovered my dining partner was already there and seated, so we began talking about it. My dining partner said that he had arrived early at 12:15 to claim our reservation and was told the reservation was for 12:30 and they refused to seat him early even though there were numerous empty tables. I felt like the staff at this restaurant were simply lying to me and my dining partner about the reservation for no apparent reason.
- A Gem!AmandaPDXDined on 9/6/2013Dragowell is a downtown worker-bee must! The service is prompt, the food good, and at the right price! But, tables fill quickly, so make a reservation to ensure your lunchtime treat!Special Features:
- Outstanding Chinese FoodvinofylDined on 8/9/2013This was our first visit to this restaurant and we were most impressed with both the food and service. I had the best Singapore noodles that I've ever had outside of Singapore. Service was helpful and attentive without being obsequious. Portions were generous and prices were reasonable for a downtown location. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dumplings!WestcoastNewYorkerDined on 6/25/2013We arrived for a late dinner on a Tuesday evening, and were greeted right away. The food was good, and the service was friendly and informative. We ordered the steamed dumplings, and when they came to the table the server recommended the best way to eat them so they could be enjoyed without getting scalded. Moderately priced, even with the bar bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarginalbellastellaVIPDined on 6/14/2013We haven't been to Dragonwell Bistro in quite while. Both the food quality and the service have slipped noticably. Our server indicated that ownership changed; the restaurant is no longer associated with Sungari, which was excellent. We were very disappointed with our dining experience at Dragonwell Bistro overall and won't be going back.
- Worst Chinese everRiverDined on 5/31/2013When we arrived to the restaurant he waiter said "welcome to the best Chinese restaurant in Portland" in was Horriable. The egg drop soup had tofu and frozen peas and carrots (who does that) and the best of the meal was bland!! I had to ask for salt and pepper. Never have I ever had to ask for salt at a chinease restaurant. The chicken was dry and noodles were soggy. Worst food ever!
- very disappointing, it wasPabloDined on 5/30/2013very disappointing, it was deserted on a Thursday night, never a good sign. The website spoke of the best authentic chinese food in Portland. It turned out to be very ordinary. Not as good as Sungari that was in that location before.
- Finally - great Chinese food in PDXOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2013Dragonwell is truly good, if not outstanding, Chinese food. We had several dishes, including the special Xiao Bao - handmade soup dumplings rarely found in Chinese American restaurants. They were outstanding in every way! Our dinner included chicken and broccoli, mixed veggie stir fry, vegetable low mein and soup. The sauces were distinct and not too salty. The chicken moist and juicy. The service was good. Our waiter was nice and accommodating - but rushed. He was perfunctory in taking our order, but gave quite the detailed overview of the menu to the table next to us. It was odd, but we chalked it up to having too many tables. Overall, a very good experience! We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalMarkDined on 5/18/2013Exceptional variety, preparation and combination suggestions from our server. I will definitely dine again for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went in the early afternoonFoodieDined on 5/8/2013We went in the early afternoon so we can give an accurate review of the bar scene, but they layout of the room is condusive for a great bar scene. The Happy hour menu is very tempting and drink price is well priced. The server was very helpful.Special Features: