Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
201 SE 2nd Ave. Suite #104
Gainesville, FL 32601Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dragonflysushi.com/
- Phone: (352) 371-3359
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ray "Hideaki" Leung
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only)
- Catering: Catering For 50 or More?? Contact Us About Having Dragonfly Come To You! Having Dragonfly Cater Your Event Is Fun & Easy! Your Dragonfly Catering Experience Can Include... *Full Sushi Bar *Choice Of Hot/Cold Dishes *Full Bar Accommodations *Full Chef & Serving Staff *Menu Customizing Holiday Parties, Pharm. Rep. Events, Corporate Events, Wedding Receptions, Family Get-Togethers...And Much More!!! Call Us Today So We Can Bring The Dragonfly Experience To You!!
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room Can Accommodate Up To 25 Guests Comfortably. The Room Features A 48" LCD TV That Can Be Utilized For Presentations, Slide-Shows, Television Viewing, And Of Course Gator Football Games! Our Room Also Features A Sound Curtain And Beaded Curtain To Ensure Privacy. You May Have Your Guests Order Off The Menu As They Wish, You May Preset A Menu With Us, Or We Can Set Up A Special Wine/Sake Pairing To Really Wow Your Guests!!
- Private Party Contact: Ron Auyong 352-371-3359
- Entertainment: Take the edge off and meet new people while you order drinks from our cocktail waitress. Our newly renovated outside patio is perfect for relaxing as you wait for your table. On select weekends, enjoy local musicians and entertainers. We strive to keep the waiting experience as comforting and unique as possible.
- Cross Street: SE 1st St.
- Public Transit: Centered in the heart of downtown Gainesville, multiple public bus routes drop you off at Dragonfly's doorstep. All local hotel shuttles also make downtown Gainesville a frequent stop. Check with your concierge for special Dragonfly VIP offers.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Worry free parking with our free curbside valet. Yes, FREE VALET for Dragonfly guests.
A word from Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co.
One of the first Modern Izakaya restaurants, Dragonfly is a sophisticated twist on the traditional Japanese tapas style dining; serving sushi, sashimi, and robatayaki (or grilled foods), with a full sake bar in a relaxed lounge atmosphere. This dining concept centers around the sharing of dishes to stimulate the senses. Balancing elegance and humility, Dragonfly strives to keep in touch with the 3 S's: Sensual, Spiritual & Savory when it comes to their food, service, and ambiance. *We take reservations everyday with the exception of Friday & Saturday evenings*Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co. - Best Restaurants in Gainesville ›
Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (10)fit for foodies (10)romantic (9)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Very dissapointingTomBVIPDined on 11/16/2014We had a reservation and when we approached the host stand, we were ignored until the two hostesses finished their conversation. Our table was in the middle of the room with what felt like 3 spotlights shining down on us. Way too bright. Our waiter was so hyper and wanted to take our order before we even opened our menus! I had to ask him if he was in a rush because he was so eager to get our order and couldn't hold still. The food was mediocre and the sushi was luke warm. Maybe put on a dish that had just come from hot dishwasher? The shortribs were very dry. Overall just not a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Asian delightLuvperuDined on 11/3/2014Excellent authentic Asian food. Lots of variety priced right. Excellent ambience and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Downtown SushiSarahbearabenDined on 10/15/2014Dragonfly is consistent; food, service and ambiance. It's a downtown go-to for sushi and an upbeat atmosphere. On the flip side it's not easy to carry on conversations without feeling like you're yelling and the menu is now a bit tired. I would highly recommend the chefs choice nigiri special for an artfully presented and delightfully tasting treat. The outdoor expanded dining is also lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressive presentation/tasteCaesarVIPDined on 9/14/2014Third time at this restaurant, and I was very disappointed with the overall quality and presentation of the sushi this time. Burnt Gyoza which we pointed out to the waiter although he didn't care, sushi was fishy tasting and simply presented. Not going back there again!Special Features:
- Great Gainesville EateryolspringhopperDined on 8/31/2014We have been visiting Dragonfly for a number of years and the quality remains quite high. One of the best choices for sushi in Gainesville, plus a good assortment of other asian inspired dishes. We had a couple of 11 year old kids with us and the kitchen had no problem tweaking the dishes for them. We tried the Pork Steamed Buns for the first time and the were quite impressed.Special Features:
- WonderfulLoveFloridaFoodDined on 8/21/2014We always love going to Dragonfly for dinner. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- The following 74 reviews are from the Dragonfly Sushi & Sake Co. reviews archive.
- Always excelentvictoriafmVIPDined on 7/22/2014I have been in many sushi restaurant around the world. Yes I said around the world and without hesitation is one of the best Also go for the happy hour very good prices and well servedSpecial Features:
- opusVIPDined on 6/8/2014Excellent food. It was our first time and we had trouble deciding so the manager brought a complementary sample of their crab wontons. Great service. The only thing i did not like is that they use imitation crab instead of the real thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My son's 21st!CindyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Dragonfly made my son's 21st birthday lunch perfect, memorable, and most of all DELICIOUS! My son's favorite is sushi, and he has always loved coming to Dragonfly. Since he got to have saki with his sushi for the first time, the staff helped make the perfect match for him. He loved everything, as did the rest of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sushi, Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014I went to Dragonfly with 4 others. The sushi is pretty good and they have an interesting selection of specialty rolls, such as salmon topped with mango and sweet potato chips. The only problem is we were waiting for around 45 minutes after we placed our order to receive our five rolls. The sushi was good but it was not worth the wait. I recommend Dragonfly to anyone looking for sushi in Gainesville, just keep your fingers crossed that your service is faster than ours was.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Wonderful experience. This was my first time eating at a Japanese Restaurant and I was very pleased. My co-workers usually dine here but I refused to go because I didn't like the ideal of Japanese cuisine. The food was great and I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Gainesville for businessZmamaDined on 2/4/2014In Gainesville for business and am always skeptical of trendy sushi restaurants (especially in a small town) but this place was just fabulous. Had the pork belly buns and sushi. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing......ALWAYSPaulDined on 1/20/2014Every time I am in Gainesville I come here. Everyone I travel with knows we will be going to dragonfly and they have all loved it. They are so consistent and the service is always good. Dragonfly RULES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh, tasty, and quality serviceTaschDined on 11/22/2013Met friends here for my birthday lunch as I was craving sushi. The choices were varied and all at our table had a hard time choosing which item to get, even my girlfriend who doesn't care much for sushi found an extraordinary roll she just loved. The wait staff was knowledgeable and thorough, great for answering all questions with excellent suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestNicknameDined on 11/13/2013Dragonfly continues to be the best restaurant in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT for VEGANS!JudiVIPDined on 11/10/2013Despite noting on my reservation that one of us was vegan this message did not get to our server or the kitchen. We were repeatedly told "no, that's not vegan". Our server didn't try to help find appropriate menu items or work with kitchen even though it was early and not crazy busy. Even most of tofu dishes are not vegetarian. Once some food could be chosen it was very good. Food excellent for non-vegans. Bench seats in poor condition. Despite the negatives I would return & do recommend it for adventurous eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/28/2013The dragonfly, yep it maybe a $14 roll, but it will best dayum roll you'll ever have!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityCmacDined on 10/24/2013We had family in from NY who we wanted to celebrate a couple birthdays and enjoy the evening. Upon entering the establishment with 3 adults and 2 children ages 5 and 11 we had reserved a table in advance. As we were seated at our table the temp in the room was a bit chilly and we requested a warmer table and possibly a view of the sushi chefs. We were immediately re-seated at a booth by the manager who gave us exactly the desired seating we had requested. The food was excellent and affordable resulting in a fabulous dinner.Special Features:
- We had a group of 8 so weChrxDined on 10/1/2013We had a group of 8 so we each picked 1 or 2 different items off the sushi menu and everything was delicious!! We were one of several large parties and the server did a great job of attending to us. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all aroundFrothyBiscuitDined on 9/5/2013First time there, really enjoyed it. The food was tasty and came out very quick. Our server was very nice and made great recommendations. I was almost disappointed with how fast the meal was, I kind of wanted to have a nice, long dinner. But no complaints here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All was Good!birds4uDined on 8/28/2013We had a table of five. We all got appetizers and each got a larger appetizer for dinner. Everything was extremely good. We all loved everything we had ordered and all ordered something different. Really good service and very reasonable. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- dragonflymfajackDined on 8/28/2013Always outstanding. Best sushi restaurant in the country. Just sit down and order omakase. Sit back and enjoy.Special Features:
- SUPERB SUSHI & SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2013This is my 2nd visit to Dragonfly. We started with wontons and Big eye tuna Kobachi as appetizers. Both were delicious. I am a spicy food lover & the Kobahi didnt disappoint- my fellow diners loved it too. The sashimi platter was fresh & cool. The Big Boss was awesome & Dragonfly roll was cooked! we didnt notice the legend informing us of this but it was delicious & a surprising treat. One diner, not a sushi fan, ordered the shrimp and vegetable tempura. I personally did not taste it- but it smelled fabulous and she loved it. The drinks were well priced as was the food- for its exceptional quality! As far as the server Luis, he was delightful, sincere, attentive, helpful, charming and made it an even better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!SteveVIPDined on 7/10/2013This is by far my favorite sushi restaurant between Miami and NYC. I was on my way home to Miami from Asheville, N.C. and had to lay over for dinner in G'ville. Great food, unique rolls and always fresh. A "must try" kind if place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisySRoweDined on 7/10/2013We continue to eat here because the food is great, but we generally get slow service and its too noisy to even have a conversation. And even with reservations, every time we go, we have to stand in the foyer for about 15 min while they get out table ready. Most of the time, the restaurant is 75% empty and you can clearly see all the tables are already set.Special Features:
- 86 Monday'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2013Regular patron, but I was entertaining clients from Europe on this occassion. They enjoyed it, but the langauge barrier kept most of the problems from them. Restaurant seemed to be out of everything. 86 tuna, 86 buns, 86 green tea creme brulee. Perhaps they should 86 Monday's if they aren't going to prep for dinner. Server was nice and environment was nice because it wasn't as packed and loud as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentVW76Dined on 6/11/2013Sushi is consistently good. I have been going there for 10 years....once upon a time @ the original location, I would host Resident Journal Club dinners for discussion of surgical procedures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GainesvilleVERNDined on 4/24/2013The best place to go eat up in Gville - my daughter goes to UF - it is the one place we always to go when I am up there. Would be a great place in South Florida too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- They do not do a good jobOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2013They do not do a good job of honoring open table reservations. I had a reservation for 7:45 on a Wednesday and my party was not seated until 8:10. The hostess or floor manager should have offered us a cocktail while we waited long after our reservation.
- Thirs or fourth time entertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2013Thirs or fourth time entertaining clients here. Not as good experience as in the past
- Nice resturant for college kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013Pros: -Good ambiance -Prices were fair Cons: -Sushi wasnt great (rice was overcooked, lots of vegetables not a lot of meat) -It was loud, my group of four had to yell at each other to hear. I could barely hear my girlfriend sitting next to me.Special Features:
- Family trip lunch stop. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2012Family trip lunch stop. We raved about the food the remainder of the day. Never disappointed when we eat there.Special Features:
- For the inexperienced DragonflyJudiVIPDined on 11/11/2012For the inexperienced Dragonfly diner, the menu is a bit overwhelming. However, other diners are seated very close together and all seemed more than willing to share their experiences. Our waiter helped to describe the choices on the menu and what would be satisfying to us. We decided to share several dishes and were very happy. The beef that we shared, although not called a pot roast, had been very slowly cooked and well seasoned. It was extremely tasty. Our salad was excellent as were the crab rangoons we ordered. We were a little disappointed in our own willingness to try some very unknown menu items. I will return, hopefully with a large group where we order a large variety of menu items.Special Features:
- Awesome!!! Food was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012Awesome!!! Food was absolutely mind blowing. Service was very friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- Dragonfly Roll!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2012My boyfriend and I decided to come here for dinner based on all of the great reviews and were not let down! I loved the service and the food was awesome. I would highly recommend the Dragonfly roll and the dumplings! We will absolutely come back to Dragonfly and were excited to see that they have a late night happy hour.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the meal. A greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/2012Enjoyed the meal. A great and fun place to east in Gainesville.Special Features:
- We mainly had sushi, oysters,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2012We mainly had sushi, oysters, and appetizers but all of their food was great. The variety of the fish in their specialty rolls was lacking. Too many with cream cheese as well. Did have some unique items, one sushi roll had strawberry, which actually was pretty good but a shock to the palette at first. Our server, Jeremy, was excellent.Special Features:
- Great sushi in Gainesville?? Yep!Foodie16VIPDined on 8/19/2012Hard to believe there is a great sushi place in Gainesville but Dragonfly proves you can have a fresh, authentic sushi experience even in the middle of Florida where you'd least expect it.The menu is great. Sushi is really all about the rice and Dragonfly's is great. This place is one of the most consistently good restaurants in town.!Special Features:
- I was an out of town guestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2012I was an out of town guest there on work related business and looking for a nice sushi spot to unwind with my friend/coworker. Had to ask the waiter twice about things (small plates to eat off of, ginger), water from the ventilation system was dripping into my friend's purse, and we were initially charged for the "free" promotional/welcome dumplings that we didn't even request. Definitely needs work with customer service and attention to detail, but the food was good.
- I had a wonderful time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2012I had a wonderful time at Dragonfly and it set the mood for an even better night on the town. I have never been to a sushi restaurant but my date was experienced in the food so she suggested the dishes we ordered and it was all delicious. The service was beyond outstanding and I definitely will be going back.Special Features: