Dragonfly Restaurant and Sushi Bar
10118 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA 96161Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
Dragonfly Restaurant and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dragonflycuisine.com/
- Phone: 5305870557
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served daily from 11:30am to 2:30 pm. The sundeck overlooking downtown is the popular place to sit. Dinner is served from 5:30 pm to 9:30pm. Outdoor dining is great, but the dining bar and sushi bar are the hot spots! The dining room has intimate, spacious tables. Sushi is served from 5 pm to 9:30 pm. Happy Hour runs from 5 pm to 6 pm, with a beer- sushi roll special and all well drinks at half price.
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Billy McCullough
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Dragonfly caters “Private Chef Dinners” up to 16 people. A chef will come to your house and prepare a menu designed by you and the chef. It is a great, easy way to entertain in the comforts of your home. Call 530-587-0557 for details. Dragonfly caters sushi parties of any size. We create take out platters or come to your function and put on a display. With a large arrangement of choices, this is an entertaining way to have a party! Call 530-587-0557 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Dragonfly has four great spaces for private parties, rehearsal dinners, meetings, or other medium to large group functions. The maximum number of people in the various rooms is 16, 28, 42, and 60, respectively. We also have the restaurant available for full buyout with a maximum of 100 people. For all parties, we have a special menu package highlighting many food, wine, beer and alcohol choices. We can custom design any party to assure fulfilling your needs. Please call Dragonfly and ask to be sent (email, fax, or snail mail) a private party package. We guarantee an unforgettable experience
- Private Party Contact: Giancarlo Peligrino 5305870557
- Entertainment: Our constantly changing dinner menu coupled with a professional, knowledgeable staff provides for a unique, entertaining evening. Come watch the sushi chefs work their magic sitting at the sushi bar seven nights a week! We are constantly hosting wine dinners, Slow Food dinners, exotic fish nights, and cooking classes. Please call 530-587-0557 for details of upcoming events. On select Thursday nights, we have acoustic music in the dining room and every few weeks, also on Thursdays, we present “Sushi and Sound!”- a late night music and sushi night. Call for details.
- Special Events: New Year’s Eve, Valentine’s Night, and Chinese New Year are celebratory nights with special menus. Wine Maker Dinners, Slow Food Events, Kid Zone Benefit are nights we pair our unique ‘Cal-Asian” food with fantastic producers and causes.
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: We are located in the center of Historic Downtown Truckee across from the bus depot. All public buses stop here.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Historic Downtown Truckee has ample street parking in front of the restaurant. From 10 am to 6 pm it costs $1 per hour. After 6 pm, it is free. Public Transit Stops: The Town of Truckee has a public bus that runs hourly until midnight from Donner Lake (3 miles west of Dragonfly) to North Star (10 miles to the South- East). There is also a Tahoe Region bus that runs a loop from Tahoe City to Truckee to King’s Beach back to Tahoe City. Call 1-800-736-6365 for schedules.
A word from Dragonfly Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Dragonfly Restaurant and Sushi Bar, in Historic Downtown Truckee combines a unique blend of influences with its “Cal-Asian” cuisine. Voted Truckee’s Best Restaurant, owner/chef Billy McCullough uses local and seasonal ingredients fused with flavors from around Asia for a unique culinary experience. Plantain Crusted Basa with Banana Curry Sauce or Tea Rubbed Kobe Flat Iron Steak with Asian Chimichurri Sauce are examples on the ever changing dinner menu. The sushi bar features sustainably harvested seafood. Only the best and freshest fish here! Our Candy Cane Roll with Maguro Tuna and Escolar and our Salmon-Dungeness Crab Roll create return customers daily! The eclectic lunch menu's highlight is the Green Thai Curry Noodle Bowl with Grilled Prawns and Udon Noodles. Enjoy a cocktail in the lounge or bottle of wine on the deck. Because we are on the second story, serve unique food, and live at an elevation of 6,000 feet, our motto is-“Dining On A Higher Level.” We hope to see you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dragonfly Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Dragon Fly moves onOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/17/2014Such a nice restaurant. So sorry to hear it is closing in 2 weeks. I understand it was purchased and will remain a restaurant under new ownership.Special Features:
- Thanks for the memoriesMferVIPDined on 3/8/2014The chef announced he has sold the restsurant and will close in a few weeks. We got one last reso To go and it was the same as always --excellent! We will miss DragonflySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fusion VibejcocktailDined on 3/7/2014This is my 5th visit to Dragonfly. The flank steak appetizer is great fun for the kids. I loved my plantain crusted Sole entree. They are very family friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious!!CisneDined on 2/22/2014We loved the food and the ambience!!! Sadly we were late for our reservation and were told that we would have to keep our dinner under an hour and 15 minutes. This was somewhat understandable, but the host was very rude about letting us know when it was time to pay our bill & not order dessert. Our server was sweet though and gave us some dessert to take home. The host & some of the staff need to go back to deportment & restaurant school! Our empty dishes stayed in the table for too long in between courses & the restaurant should invest in some smaller tea cups that are better suited to green or jasmine tea. Thank goodness for the food!! : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weirdly bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2014We had a 6:15 reservation for seven including two kids. Waitress asked for a drink order, but had not provided the drink menu, then disappeared for 20 minutes before coming to take our order. Food did not start arriving for at least a half hour, including the kids' cold sushi orders. Most of the food arrived at least 20 minutes before the final two entrees. The entire dinner took two hours! Waitress asked how we were doing twice as she walked by and didn't listen for a response. Food was decent, but too expensive for such poor service.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2014This was our first visit to Dragonfly, but we will definitely be making this a regular stop whenever we're in the Truckee/Tahoe area. Everything we ordered was delicious. We started with a Beet and Satsuma orange with goat cheese small plate, then had the winter squash soup, which that night was made with Blue Banana squash. For my entree, I had the plantain and panko encrusted Pacific Sole with a banana curry sauce, and wow, I absolutely loved that dish. My dining partners had the Asian cioppino and the roast duck breast, and they were both pleased with their entrees as well. It's a bit expensive, but worth the splurge. My only disappointment was that I didn't save room for dessert!Special Features:
- Almost PerfectLovedDragonflyDined on 2/15/2014The food is a special, flavorful, balanced, ingenious, delicious delight. We have been twice and ordered an assortment each visit. Every item was delicious. The cocktails and sake are excellent to and you can find a pairing easily. The wait staff is well informed pleasant and engaging. Go willing to solicit and accept recommendations you will not be disappointed. Dragonfly let's nothing out of the kitchen that is less than fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and moreInclinelocalDined on 2/14/2014I would call it Sushi plus, which is perfect for my wife and me... Since I love sushi and she only tolerates it. Great steak options, very cool tahoe style decor. I'm looking forward to going back in summer they have a very nice outdoor patio overlooking the town that was closed for the winter. I highly recommend it. PS. If you like beef, you have to try the sizzling flank steak. It's cooked in sushi size strips at your table on a 500 degree rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!ManhattanVIPDined on 2/8/2014Delicious food, always great service & so reasonably priced. Certainly a fav in truckee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice addition in Truckee.IHDinerDined on 2/1/2014A nice addition in Truckee. Good food with some specials and interesting takes. But the service is chaotic and lacking. Needs tighter management and staff training as well as kitchen coordination. Trendy, fun interior with artwork for sale was nice. Waiting at the bar was a nice option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai BlendJeanDined on 1/29/2014The food was really decent - wild boar tasty with interesting side dishes. Brussels sprout appetizer was great and group liked lettuce wrap appetizer. I've enjoyed great noodle bowls here at lunch. Service great. Not busy. Enjoyed our meal!Special Features:
- Lovely but I left hungryLindaDined on 1/25/2014There were four of us ladies for lunch. Two of us ordered sandwiches, one ordered a salad and I ordered pho. The sandwiches were beautiful and came w two side salads. The salad alone was beautiful but not all too filling and my pho was beautifully presented but I left still hungry. I'd return but ony for a sandwich. Oh, and $5 for a cup of tea?!? I don't care how fancy the carafe is. Just give me a bag of quality tea w some hot water and keep filling the hot water! Just silly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/18/2014We had a great lunch with very good service. Pad Thai was yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening at DrafonflySFfoodfanDined on 1/10/2014We tried Dragonfly for the first time on Friday evening. We had heard good reviews from friends. My wife and I and our two boys had a great experience there - friendly staff, good service and excellent food. We wanted to try everything on the menu as it all looked great. We will be back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was excited to try Dragonfly,localchickVIPDined on 11/29/2013I was excited to try Dragonfly, I've only heard great things and my experience was beyond expectations. Arrived 30 min early to have a cocktail in the bar. Kudos to the bartender friendly and professional and only uses fresh lime juice in the margaritas. The host and waitress were great also setting the stage for the evening and the food was superb, creative and delicious. I started with the vegan such soup. Unbelievably good and I'm not a vegan. Noodle bowl is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Half price DecemberOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/26/2013Great food. Half price December is a good draw. Service was friendly however, they need some training.
- Amazing well-crafted foodMaryDined on 11/12/2013Amazing well-crafted food with an Asian influence. Awesome sushi!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificCaliJaneDined on 11/9/2013We've eaten here many times, but Saturday nite's dinner was the best. We were five in our party, including a toddler. Our server brought several items for the toddler not on the menu, but which made her happy. In lieu of entrees, we decided to try most of the social plates and several sushi's. Three of us had the smoked trout Ceasar salad. Everything was wonderful. The Thai Cosmo and cucumber gimblets were outstanding, as always. Dragonfly's high quality did not change a bit, even with the November half-price special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!RobSDined on 11/1/2013Went for dinner on Friday and had a great time. Food was excellent as always. Service was on the slow side. But it was locals night and the place was packed. They should staff a little better for that. But overall had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were expectingSuicidekittyVIPDined on 10/13/2013Food was underwhelming. The photos looked amazing but alas was not impressed. Will most likely not done here again.Special Features:
- SushiMissvicVIPDined on 10/5/2013You can eat on the patio when warm- not now! We go there for sushi and it is great. Fun to eat at the sushi bar, good rolls, or try the hot rock if people want cooked food.Special Features:
- We were very impressed. WecoopVIPDined on 9/9/2013We were very impressed. We enjoyed the food, presentation and staff although they did seem a little unorganized. Overall would recommend and revisit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceMeandMarleneDined on 9/7/2013We had the trout entree, an "inside out" roll and one of the sashimi dishes. All were delicious and presented well. They split the trout dish in 2 for us, and it still seemed like generous portion sizes. The house salad is simple but very tasty and fresh. The server was friendly, funny, and very informative about the menu. We sat out on the patio which was just OK, nothing fancy. The wine list is OK, not great, but we are from the Napa area so kind of spoiled in that department. We would have tried one of the desserts but were too full from a very satisfying meal. Will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2013This must be my fifth or sixth visit. Each one consistently great. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/4/2013A real gem with Asian inspired dishes, showing great flavors and imagination------ Really fun view from the balcony overlooks the Truckee town, and the rail station.----EXCELLENT staff, and wait service.J.Special Features:
- UniqueCraneDined on 8/13/2013Went for the "Know Your Farmer" dinner. The kale salad was delicious. The curried, zucchini soup was so hearty it could be a stand-alone entree. I let them know at the last minute that I am vegan and was presented with a "work of art" herb crusted tofu garnished with a slice of fried banana. The wait staff were fun and friendly.Special Features:
- Arif reviewArifDined on 8/7/2013Sushi was dry and tasteless. Soft shell crab was bony. Edamame was boiled flat of taste. Fries were cooked in old oil. Thank goodness we didn't order the entree. Very disappointing overall. We had to make nuggets for adults and kids when we got back.
- Lobster night!TerriDined on 8/2/2013We happen to hit Dragonfly on Lobster night! So good! The four of us split two lobster meals (we're not big eaters) and it was perfect! We also started with the Omega roll, which is my favorite. Always on our list when we're in Tahoe Donner. Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomejosieTDined on 7/29/2013We had friends from New York visiting and as usual, had a great dining experience at Dragonfly. We ordered sushi and entrees to share. The food was terrific. We also tried a few of their specialty cocktails which were fun. The service matched the food...also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place, delicious food!FoodieDined on 7/28/2013This place was my family's top 3 restaurants in N. Lake Tahoe. The menu is fun, different and delicious. We came here twice in one week. The Moroccan chicken is not to be missed, the smoked trout rolls are fantastic. The basa or tofu main dish with a banana pesto is excellent ( we tried both).. They really know how to serve fresh, non salty ( except for the miso soup) and light dishes with careful attention to the presentation. All of the rolls are great. The only small issue is if they get busy, you will have to wait a little for sushi, but eating outside on a beautiful summers evening made it all okay.The prices are so reasonable for such a high quality meal. Also, you MUST order the chocolate cake at the end! It is amazing!Special Features:
- We have eaten here many times.CaliJaneDined on 7/27/2013We have eaten here many times. The service and food are always good to excellent. Shared 3 small plates and salad with my husband which was plenty. Only problem was an outdoor heater next to me clanking loudly in the wind. Apparent to all servers and not remediedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server with attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2013The food was great as usuall. The server had a bad attitude, actually combative. Drunken Monkey is a better choice for sushi without an attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Thai Japanese TreathalfacookieDined on 7/6/2013We celebrated my partner's birthday at Dragonfly this past weekend. The food was really wonderful and are server was very attentive. I recommend eating on the balcony overlooking old town Truckee so you can enjoy the view and mild evening temps.Special Features:
- Slow and staggeredTahoeDined on 7/5/2013Food was good but with only 3 of us the meals came 15 minutes apart. We all ate separately and it was an awkward dinner.Special Features:
- Lobster NightMelbaDined on 7/5/2013We have eaten at Dragonfly many times and have always had great service and food. We had also heard that the first Friday night is Lobster Night and it awesome. Well, we went on Friday July 5 for Lobster Night. The server was extremely slow and did not show any interest in any of his tables. Our kids meals came our quickly but it took another 30 minutes to get the adult meals - one was a lobster. The waiter even came by our table to tell us the adult meals were being plated up. But it took anther 10 minutes to get the adult meals to our table. The busboys and water boys came by refilling our water and took empty kids plates. No one asked us if we wanted more drinks ( they would have made more money if they had). Not sure we will be back.Special Features:
- Big prices, bad serviceTahoeDinerDined on 5/30/2013This place has decent food most of the time. Almost always the service is horrible. Considering the prices they charge, they could afford to hire some more help. They need it. It's a great spot in town, just wish there was an over-all better restaurant there.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/25/2013Delicious food. Friendly service. Sometimes we'll eat here twice in one day! Definitely go here, but make a reservation if you think it might be busy.Special Features:
- my soup bowl was a bit difficult4JoyDined on 5/21/2013my soup bowl was a bit difficult to eat. but the flavors were incredible my entree also was exceptional, but why was it served with white rice?Special Features:
- Local FavoriteSDlocalVIPDined on 5/1/2013There's many great restaurants to choose from in Truckee, but Dragonfly is always a favorite. The menu is unique, sushi is fresh and creative, and the drink menu is amazing. Always a good choice and never lets you down.Special Features:
- A real gem in Truckee!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 4/3/2013Set in picturesque downtown Truckee across from the Amtrak station, Dragonfly has the best food we've had in the Truckee area! Every dish was mouth watering and a fun fusion of Japanese, Indian, and Californian cuisine. Superior to the Ritz Carlton restaurant even. The food was simply divine. Downtown Truckee is small but such a cute "main street". This is upstairs. Decor is a bit quirky, but the service was fabulous. Great wine list. We will definitely be back!Special Features: