832 W. Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dragonflymandarin.com/
- Phone: 3124551400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:00am-4:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 4:00pm-11:00pm Lounge: til 2am / 3am on Saturdays (call to find out which nights are open)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Michael Lin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 312-455-1400 and speak to Gabriel if you have any questions or special requests. You may get our catering menu online at www.dragonflymandarin.com
- Private Party Facilities: Dragonfly Mandarin can accommodate private parties, please call for details. Seated parties during restaurant hours & lounge setup after hours. The entire second floor may be rented out for your intimate private event.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah 3124551400
A word from Dragonfly Mandarin
Dragonfly Mandarin has taken the true Chinese dining experience to the next level. A Gold Coast transplant, the unique restaurant/lounge hybrid has been open for over seven years now in the West Loop and has quickly become the choice destination for a perfect combination of traditional Chinese cuisine and late-night festivities. The emphasis here is to preserve the authenticity of classic Chinese cuisine. The sauces are subtle with the freshness and the high quality of the food prevalent with every bite. Each plate is delivered with pristine presentation. The atmosphere is charming and seductive, with a modern attitude. The overall experience is unique and memorable. Winner five years in a row for Best Chinese Restaurant in Chicago on Citysearch.com & Msn.com. Open seven days a week. Lunch 11am - 4pm. Dinner 4pm - 11pm. Street and Valet parking available. Delivery and take-out available everyday. 832 W. Randolph St. in the infamous Randolph St. dining districtContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dragonfly Mandarin reviews from OpenTable diners
- Very rare to find a spot whereFoodieDined on 10/26/2013Very rare to find a spot where we have no complaints in any ariea. Our lovely waitress accurately explained all - so no surprises or disappointments. Martinis were yummy - teasers, maki roll and main entree all luscious. Definitely a spot to try again.Special Features:
- commentsfokkerDined on 10/20/2013honestly we didn't have a great exerience as the ambient was pretty noisy (the other guests were also screaming on the phone and the direction didn't take any action) , second floor was not available for a more private dinner and the waiter, being new, couldn't give us all the info we required on food. May be next time.Special Features:
- Excellent foodChrisDined on 10/12/2013We had a terrific appetizer (duo tartare), a very nice sushi dish (sunset), and some of the best sesame chicken I've ever had. Everything about the meal impressed, and the service was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience OverallRyanDined on 10/12/2013My fiancé and I had a great experience. The server was incredible and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KD8214Dined on 8/27/2013Food was phenomenal and the service was wonderful as well. The restaurant was very, very hot, however. I believe the AC must have been broken so we were quite uncomfortable for the first half of our meal. I highly recommend the Fruit of the Emperor martini and the Dragonfly maki roll.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, nice patio, ok servicebuckeyegirlVIPDined on 7/29/2013crab legs were great but came with no small fork and no extra napkins or wet naps or a bowl to put the shells in. strange that we had to ask for that. had to ask for straws twice, they were out of the drink I wanted (but the replacement drink was delicious), and out of the dessert we wanted (how can you not have nutella or banana).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!!!topgun17Dined on 7/17/2013Dragonfly Mandarin was such a wonderful experience! My son and I ate there, and everything about the restaurant was first-rate. The food was wonderfully prepared, and the service was exemplary. My son had such a wonderful time there, and I will definitely go back on my next visit to Chicago! A must-go-to restaurant for anyone in the area!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the menu and food isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2013Love the menu and food is exceptional! Service was the best. Took an out of town guest there and they were VERY impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBrunchedVIPDined on 6/10/2013One ot our favorite Chinese/Mandarin restaurants in Chicago; easy to get to and free parking on the street. The food is always fresh and delicious. This time we brought our 9 y/o son who also loved the food.Special Features:
- Great for Drinks and SushiDubow21VIPDined on 6/5/2013Very surprised this place isn't more crowded. The drinks and sushi were very very good with average pricing. Outdoor seating is great. Ordered the Honeymoon Chicken famiy style as an entree and it wasnt the greatest but the Sushi, drinks and appetizers more than made up for it.Special Features:
- It was a horrible experience,MikeDined on 5/18/2013It was a horrible experience, seating is not good and the service was so poor. You almost have to eat so fast so the guys can clean up your table. I am not happy and will not be back
- We choose Dragonfly in orderOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/13/2013We choose Dragonfly in order to experience the All You Can Eat Crab Legs. We were disappointed when they ran out of Crab Legs at 8:15. Also, they won't let you take your leftover side dishes home, even if you didn't ask for anything beyond what they initially gave you, so we were disappointed that we wouldn't be able to enjoy our leftover rice and potates and it would just be thrown out. One person ordered the Mongolian Beef off the menu and was fortunate to be able to take those leftovers home. She said it was the best Mongolian Beef she'd had thus far. We would not go back for the All You Can Eat Crab Legs again. Too pricey for what you actually get, but we might give it another try and just order off the menu.Special Features:
- Hadn't had Chinese food inOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/10/2013Hadn't had Chinese food in a very long time and nothing wow'd me here
- Nothing spectacularPowerLunchGuruVIPDined on 5/4/2013Has the appearance of a restaurant that already had its heyday. Most of the entrees lacked in flavor and were greasy and the drinks were weak. The appetizers were the only saving grace.
- Sharable Portions, Great Taste!TakingTimeToEatWellVIPDined on 4/29/2013This is the perfect place to order entrees that are sharable. From the mooshu steak to the honey walnut prawns and maki rolls, everything had great flavor without being too salty or drowned in too much sauce. Our previous time here we enjoyed the Basil Chicken and duck fried rice-both were fantastic as well! Solid service and great to eat outdoors when the temps are warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many options in varied menuORDTGUVIPDined on 4/23/2013I liked the decor, found the service very good, food quality was very good. Drinks were good, smaller glasses than I am used to. It is a little bit louder than I am used to. Priced right and many weekly offers.Special Features:
- Great lunch menu prices. NothingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/16/2013Great lunch menu prices. Nothing special. Great location.
- A missOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013We were very disappointed. Everything was clearly pre-packaged and just served up hot. It is as if La Choy opened up a restaurant and charged west loop prices.
- this was some of the worsejohngVIPDined on 4/12/2013this was some of the worse food i have eveer had. i don't know how anyone could have rated this place any more than a 1.
- Chinese food doesn't seemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/4/2013Chinese food doesn't seem to be a big thing in the West Loop, probably because people just go over to Chinatown, but if you really want Chinese, then Dragonfly Mandarin will satisfy. The food isn't that great but it's better than most places. The crispy sesame chicken is really good. The decor is nice, staff friendly and entree portions large.Special Features:
- Really, just an average AsianLPboyVIPDined on 3/28/2013Really, just an average Asian restaurant. Not bad, but not special. The food was ok. They forgot my salad and the service was slow. I've had better.
- Good Food, Great DrinksLyndseyBVIPDined on 3/23/2013Dragonfly Mandarin has a large menu with some standard items that you might find at other Chinese restaurants, but some other more unique items. We opted for some of the basic items (Crab Rangoon, Rainbow Maki, Mongolian Beef) and they were all delicious. But the food was outshined by their creative and flavorful cocktails. I'm a wine person, but I would say that the cocktails here are not to be missed. We had an early evening reservation, so the place was not very busy. Service was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was interesting, but nothing too fancy. It reminded me of the "after" on Restaurant Impossible. Overall, worth a visit.
- Not worth visiting. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2013Not worth visiting. Food was mediocre at best. One of my guests returned the soup because it was terrible.
- Whenever I'm in the city forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/2013Whenever I'm in the city for lunch this is my favorite place to dine - the service is always friendly and professional, and the food is always expertly-prepared and delicious. During the week their lunch specials are the best considering this is Chicago we're talking about, and I always end up taking food home because their portion sizes are amazing.Special Features:
- Great Value for a Great MealSpoonAsKnife82VIPDined on 3/4/2013Dragonfly is always a place of great value. We come here about 4-5 times a year on a Monday to dine in and have some King Crab buffet for $39. My family can devour about 2-3 lbs. of King Crabs per person. The waitstaff are always attentive and checks in on customers every 5-10 minutes. This place have great presentation on meals and always commendable on their sauces. If you are looking for value, this is the place to be.Special Features:
- I still have a hard time adjustingluv2dineVIPDined on 3/3/2013I still have a hard time adjusting to the new menu at DM. The food is very good with no complaints. During this visit tho, I found the service too be a little on the slow side.Special Features:
- SERVICE WAS GOOD . WAITERCHICAGODined on 2/19/2013SERVICE WAS GOOD . WAITER ADORABLR. APPETIZERS WERE FAB!!! ENTREE WERWE AVERAGE TO BORING. WILL STOP IN AGAIN FOR APPETIZERS AND SAKE AND SKIP ENTREES.
- Food is excellent and weekdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/18/2013Food is excellent and weekday lunch special is a great deal.Special Features:
- Happy CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013My server Brian was great! After reading some reviews I was afraid to give them a try. Food was delicious, no long wait and hot! Thanks again Brian and Vanessa! See you again soon. I didn't like the fact that we were sat next to a large group and they were loud.Special Features:
- Went there for lunch on aOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/16/2013Went there for lunch on a Saturday. The place was totally empty. Food was ok, but did not try the sushi items available. Seems this place would have a nice ambiance at night with a larger crowd.
- Crab Legs good deal!lkchangirlVIPDined on 2/4/2013We went for the all you can eat king crab legs. Great experience. The fried rice is nothing to me (but I'm Chinese & picky about that). The mandarin potatoes were different and good. The corn was probably frozen but okay. The crab legs were excellent and plentiful. They bring them out one at a time so they don't get cold. Nice touch. They continually refill the sides without you asking. It wasn't busy so I asked for a 4 top for more space and they accommodated us immediately. Very friendly nice staff. We would go back again.
- Service was an issue. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013Service was an issue. There were no bartenders so waiters & waitresses had to make there own drinks. Looked chaotic behind the bar. We sat for 15 minutes before asking a passing waitress if we were going to be waited on. A waiter finally showed up and asked for our order, problem was we hadn't weven been given menus yet! Not returning here.
- Great lunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/18/2013Great lunch special and not very crowded. As long as you don't mind some ambient house music in the background its a perfect spot in the West Loop for lunch.Special Features:
- Friendly staff and decentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/5/2013Friendly staff and decent looking place but the food was horrible. Tasted like overcooked pieced of fried meat with sauce that was bland. There was a reason we were the only ones in the restaurant until two other diners eventually came in... It's a shame.
- I took some friends from outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012I took some friends from out of town to this place, we had a great time and the food was excellent. The basil chicken was outstanding :)Special Features:
- Dragonfly has changed it'sluv2dineVIPDined on 12/17/2012Dragonfly has changed it's menu somewhat from what the manager told me (added sushi) because the neighboring restaurant closed up. The food was still very good and no complaints whatsoever. The manager was very nice and polite also.Special Features:
- Delicious Asian FoodNancyVIPDined on 12/16/2012We went on a Sunday evening & were seated by the window which was nice because we had a view of the city skyline. Good cocktail & Japanese beer selections. We had the crab won tons & the Godzilla maki rolls to start. These were both very fresh, delicious & good portion sizes. For our entree we shared the sesame chicken & brown rice. Plenty of chicken & rice for two which was cooked to perfection. We had a great dinning experience. Good service & delicious food in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Everything was good. The specialtyKsilfmVIPDined on 12/11/2012Everything was good. The specialty cocktails were fantasticSpecial Features:
- Fabulous restaurant greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Fabulous restaurant great location. Just a 10 minute walk from Ogilvie train station. Food and service beyond compare. Awesome mojitos!Special Features:
- Don't waste your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/3/2012Horrible service. Went for a special night that had all you could eat crab legs and they said they didn't have enough left. The place had about 5 tables full. The waitress clearly hated her job too. I felt I was bothering her to even ask for a drink.