Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens
241 Hargadine Street
Ashland, OR 97520Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dragonflyashland.com/
- Phone: 5414884855
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch
Daily: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Latin / Spanish, Asian
- Executive Chef: Carsen Maciag
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens offers the finest event catering for your private parties and wedding receptions.
A word from Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens
Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens is set on the ground floor in a 1930′s Baptist church with the Oregon Cabaret Theatre above it, this restaurant couldn't be more charming. Whether you sit in the cobble-stoned, tree-lined secret garden or in the hexagon shaped dining room surrounded by French doors, this restaurant is a highlight of any Ashland Oregon trip.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens - Best Restaurants in Ashland ›
Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (38)fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (21)great for brunch (16)special occasion (15)romantic (14)great for lunch (13)good for groups (10)hot spot (5)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- ClosedWhiningRhinoVIPDined on 9/26/2014Made a res which was confirmed. There was a Closed for private party sign on door, We were seated in an ante room. The party noise was deafening. All the manager said was "sorry". There are plenty of good restaurants in Ashland who seem to actually care. This isn't one of them.
- Terrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014We've enjoyed the interesting fusion menu on every annual trip to Ashland for many years, but last year and this year the food and the place seem increasingly tired. Very little flavor in the fish tacos--no spices, very little salt, no real salsa except diced onion and mango--and it wasn't cheap. My husband had a steak, which was tough and overcooked, and my daughter's Buddha bowl was soupy and flavorless. Margaritas were weak and sour, with barely perceptible amounts of orange liquor. Dragonfly needs a revitalized menu and an inspired chef who tastes the food before sending it out. We won't be back.Special Features:
- SuechefVIPDined on 9/10/2014The staff stood around and telex rather than edit on table . Took forever to get food and my husbands came out in 3 stages
- Dragonfly Redeemed ItselfAshlandroseVIPDined on 9/5/2014We have dined here for years, but on the last two visits, were disappointed by the service and food accompaniments. Last night's dinner redeemed it's reputation. Mahi mahi fish tacos and Tad pai chicken were scrumptious and perfect. Service was impeccable. Well done! We'll be back as usual. Only problem was we were no able to get a table outside. We called for reservations on Friday at 5:45 for 6:15. Need to call earlier next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bluejeanDined on 8/31/2014Creative menu in outdoor (optional) setting. Nice to find a place open for late lunch on a Sunday when other restaurants have closed their brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be....6ogmamaDined on 8/23/2014Have been to this restaurant quite a few times over the past few years. It used to be one of our favorites. They have cut their small plate menu drastically. (Thank heaven they still have those luscious ahi wontons.) My ginger lemondrop contained no ginger. Our entrees (the yakisoba special and the Brazilian bowl) were OK but not special. Despite the fact that the restaurant was half empty (in Ashland on a Saturday night in August?) both the kitchen and the service were slow. Given the choice of excellent restaurants in Ashland, I don't think we'll be back to Dragonfly.
- Worth going back for a 2nd time!roadtripper1Dined on 8/22/2014While traveling on our way from CA to BC we stayed the night in Ashland - had a friend recommend Dragonfly Cafe- we LOVED our meal so much on our trek back home we altered our plans to stay in Ashland again just to frequent Dragonfly Cafe again. This will be our stopping place when we make our way to Vancouver next year.Special Features:
- MikeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Plantain appetizer, roasted chicken and fish tacos were excellentI would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen problemsPeekosaysDined on 8/22/2014The kitchen could not get the food out. It took over an hour for the food to arrive after ordering. All over the restaurant you could hear diners complain. We saw at least one unhappy table get up and leave after their starter. The food was beautifully presented but not exactly what was on the menu. There was a side of unshelled edeame which require shelling to eat. Good bar snack but inconvenient as a side. Coconut rice was dry and caky - nearly inedible. The steak entree was very good but the tuna ahi platter came with cold sliced tuna with an sliced avocado on it. Was that a salad? The sauce and the tuna were tasteless.
- So good and so convenient!QuietVIPDined on 8/14/2014A perfect restaurant before the show! But, be careful, you won't want to leave. The food is great and the service excellent, even when the place is very busy. We'll be back - this week!Special Features:
- Service still need workCaliRichDined on 8/2/2014I have been going to Isabel's Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens for the past 3 years during my annual visit to Ashland and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Seated in the sweet gardens, I was left to wait (if seems that my server had more important things to do), but waited only a short time before motioning to another server my desire to order. The entree, fish tacos made with mahi mahi, came fairly quickly. There were three different types of open face tacos. Unfortunately, they were on the teeniest tortillas I have ever seen, which made them difficult to handle and quite messy to eat. Still, the food was good. If Dragonfly can ever get their service act together, I'm sure that they will stop receiving mixed reviews, such as this.
- Lovely birthday dinnerDefawnDined on 7/29/2014The staff here is wonderful. The food is awesome. Always tasty. My birthday dinner with friend was perfect. The gardens are beautiful and shaded, which is important in the summer. The restaurant can be crowded between 6:30 and 8:00 on nights when there are plays at the Shakespeare Festival. Make reservations. Tell your server you are trying to get to a play. They are good about getting your dinner to you in a timely fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!MicadogDined on 7/28/2014Still our favorite restaurant in the area. A good idea to come after or before the play rush if you want a quiet relaxed dinner.Special Features:
- Better than Ever!Sandy94901VIPDined on 7/26/2014Dragonfly is always on our list of restaurants during our yearly trip to Ashland. I have to say that this year Dragonfly was better than ever. The food was absolutely sensational and service could not have been better. My brother-in-law said the ahi was the best he has ever had. My 1/2 chicken was absolutely perfect...so delicious. Truly an A+ dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great food. Even better service. The young lady that waited on us knew the menu well and made good suggestion.Special Features:
- no dinners servedfoodisgoodDined on 7/24/2014We had reservations and when we arrived we were told that the kitchen was backed up for at least an hour because they had two walk-ins of larger tables. We could order appetizers but nothing from the dinner menu would be served for at least an hour. Our drinks took 15 minutes to arrive and my ginger lemon drop had no sugar in it at all. When I sent it back it took another 10 minutes for the correct one to arrive. The service was awful and the kitchen was unprepared to serve an average dinner night. Not all the tables were full so they should have been prepared. We were not offered any complementary anything or a discount on our meal for having to wait so long. I was disappointed in their service and would never go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014The food was very good but the noise level (probably from a group of ten to twelve in the other room ) was EXCESSIVE. I couldn't hear my dinner companion talk. Too bad we couldn't seat outside. It is lovely but the weather prohibited that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingYojimboDined on 7/22/2014Two things marred our experience: First, the room was naturally acoustically bright, so it would tend to be noisy, but the night we were there they had a couple very loud tables, making the noise level almost unbearable. They apologized, and it was not their fault, but it made the experience unpleasant. However, the biggest problem was that the food was severely under-seasoned. A bit of salt and pepper in the preparation would have gone a long way.
- FLAVORS TOO "SUBTLE"dubinPDXDined on 7/21/2014We expected more flavors and tasty fare with it being both Latin and Asian fusion. Rather bland food. Lovely outdoor setting and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Losing it's AppealAshlandroseVIPDined on 7/20/2014Dragonfly has lost it's appeal. It used to be our favorite restaurant, however, we have had two bad experiences in a row. Our food was cold on one occasion and pancakes were dry on the other occasion. Service on both occasions was lousy. We were so shocked and surprised because we couldn't fault anything with this place before. What the heck happened here? We were so disappointed. Maybe they are just not able to handle the tourist crowds that are now flooding our town. Maybe we'll get the courage to try them again in the fall.Special Features:
- Close to theaters tooJandBDined on 7/12/2014We had dinner at 6 pm with plans to see a Shakespeare play at 8 pm. This worked very well. The restaurant is roomy with inside and outside tables. The food was very good as was the service. The atmosphere was pleasantly soothing even though it was a busy night. We will definitely come back the next time we visit Ashland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very disappointing mealJulieMichaelDined on 7/6/2014The food was awful and took a very long time to be served.
- Nice ambience but food is just OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food can be summed up in one word: "weird". The only thing good is the "grilled painted hills steak" on the Brazil Bowl.
- Dragonfly: There is No SubstituteAshlandroseVIPDined on 6/11/2014Hands down, our favorite restaurant in Ashland, Oregon. Cannot beat the quality or ambiance, in a comfortable, feel-good atmosphere. They are always running specials and everything is delicious! Cocktails are out of this world. Need we say more?Special Features:
- Locally sourced yumsRogueValleyEaterDined on 6/8/2014Good locally sourced dishes with flair. The posole was well spiced but carnitas were a little tough. The tiger salad was excellent and the mixed drinks are inventive and fresh. I'd recommend this for a nice bite before a play or to finish up an outing.Special Features:
- Poor serviceLeaningpaleoDined on 6/5/2014We sat on the patio a after the Shakespeare rush at around 7:40. Apparently, so did a few other tables. Our server was slow to take our order and bring our check. The food took very long to come out. The food is decent, but there is a touch of sweetness to most of the saucesSpecial Features:
- Food not goodGertie1Dined on 6/4/2014I am not a vegan.So I was shocked when I received my huge garden salad almost raw.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Dragonfly Cafe and Gardens reviews archive.
- Eclectic and very goodLyricguyDined on 5/27/2014One of the most eclectic menus I have ever encountered and the kitchen pulled it off. The facility, an old church, was a touch strange but that did not distract from the overall experience.Special Features:
- Ashland AsianShakespeareloverDined on 5/27/2014The restaurant wasn't very busy but the service was slow and the servers seemed uninterested. The food is a fusion of Asian and Caribbean and did not really hit the mark for either location this trip. May return in order to give them another chance but with so many wonderful restaurants in the area it may be awhile.Special Features:
- Pre-Theater DinnerChazJazzCalifDined on 4/24/2014The fresh organic vegetables were superb. The entrees were prepared with excellent presentation and cooked exactly as ordered. The service was attentive and prompt. We had a half hour to spare before show time. The location for Festival goers is perfect. The wine list has a fair number of wines by the glass available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- varietyToastandcheersDined on 4/20/2014Enjoy the great variety of food. Always good, fresh and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant, great food,RickVIPDined on 4/5/2014Great restaurant, great food, casual, relaxed atmosphere. Creative menu choices, serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Four of us here for lunch this day, a couple of salads, an entree, and a sandwich later and we left happy and full. Food was excellent, server was great, explained menu offerings well. Definitely will return next time in Ashland, would try dinner next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Dry cleaning billCraggyDined on 3/22/2014We were seated in the left corner of the upper level. The crowd noise was very loud and apparently your out take fans were not working properly. My wife and I both noticed the cooking or food smells on our clothes after leaving the restaurant. We like your menu, it's different! Our waiter was very good. The restroom was clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great this timeMicadogDined on 3/1/2014Although we love Dragonfly, it was not a good experience this time. Too too loud to talk, our food was 1 1/2 hours and then one persons was cold. We loved our waitress though and knew it was not her fault. We were given a discount and a free desert but we are reluctant to bring out of town guests there again. Maybe not during play season at least.
- Interesting menu with good varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Dragonfly is a great place for healthy interesting food choices. The service was good but the noise level a bit high. It's a wonderful place to dine in when the outdoor seating is available. Lovely outdoor patio!Special Features:
- Fresh and tastySuzanneDined on 1/18/2014All three of us had dishes that were full of fresh vegetables cooked wonderfully and arranged creatively.Special Features:
- never gone wrongbrn2eatDined on 1/5/2014Dragonfly is consistently one of the best restaurants in Ashland. Price is medium-high so we only go on special occassions, but we never have had a disappointing meal there. We have taken the grand kids a few times (2 and 4yrs) and it worked there better than most. Worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was amazed!avacadovichVIPDined on 1/2/2014The Yelp and Open Table reviews were good but I was astonished at how much I enjoyed the food and cocktails. I enjoy fine dining and almost never give five star reviews but the Dragonfly cafe merits one. Service was attentive but not fussy. Every item that my date and I ordered was excellent to outstanding. My main regret is that I live 400 miles from the Dragonfly and so will not be a frequent patron although it is almost worth the drive to dine there. EZ JohnSpecial Features:
- Best dinner in AshlandSeatteliteDined on 12/23/2013We stayed 4 nights in Ashland Christmas 2014. This was hands down the best food we had during our stay. The flavors were very unique and every dish was tasteful. We had chicken wraps and calamari as appetizers and ahi platter and fish tacos as main. Everything was very tasty and the waitress was really nice and attentive. Don't miss out on this place while in Ashland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedMaTfromAshlandDined on 12/22/2013Never disappointed with the dishes served. Excellent bar drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.