441 N Clark
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.dragonranch.com/
- Phone: 3129551900
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday Lunch 11:30PM - 2:30PM, Monday - Thursday Dinner 5:00PM - 10:00PM, Fri- Saturday Dinner 5:00PM - 1:00AM, Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:30AM - 3:00PM, Sunday Dinner 3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Barbecue, Asian
- Executive Chef: Shaun Connolly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: email Rockit Ranch Events department for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Email Rockit Ranch Events department for more information
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Salerno 3129437600
A word from Dragon Ranch
Celebrating 10 years of helping to transform the once desolate River North neighborhood into one of the most celebrated entertainment districts in the country with concepts like Rockit Bar & Grill (all-American comfort food), The Underground (elevated nightlife and mixology) and Sunda New Asian (innovative Asian cuisine), Rockit Ranch Productions announces the opening of its newest River North concept: Dragon Ranch Moonshine & BBQ. With American BBQ complemented by Asian influences, plus an extensive cocktail list with a specialty moonshine collection, Dragon Ranch offers a unique perspective on the classic BBQ experience.Continued
Now open for Brunch at 10:30 AM on Sundays & Saturdays.
Now open for Brunch at 10:30 AM on Sundays & Saturdays.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dragon Ranch reviews from OpenTable diners
- I could not rate this restaurantWendyVIPDined on 1/25/2013I could not rate this restaurant as our reservation was cancelled due to the fire...hope they reopen soon so we can update!
- The food and services aresharVIPDined on 1/10/2013The food and services are absolutely superb. The only problem is the noise level. Very difficult to have a conversation. But if it's about fun and not conversation...this is the place.Special Features:
- ribs were very good. The sauceChetVIPDined on 1/9/2013ribs were very good. The sauce was just ok. Service was excellent Moonshine was ok.Special Features:
- Very interesting and tastyRoscoeVIPDined on 1/8/2013Very interesting and tasty dishes. Service was excellent and very accomodating. this is a great place for tapas, families, groups and first dates. would definitely go back - just for the brisket.Special Features:
- moonshine is really good....bbqVtrchkDined on 1/5/2013moonshine is really good....bbq was really moist....mac & cheese was so so....interesting spin
- Go for the drinks!tkonigVIPDined on 12/29/2012Awesome drinks. Have to try it just to have their moonshine. Food is pretty good, but my favorite was honestly the eggroll appetizer with pulled pork. Amazing. Cheers!Special Features:
- Not your typical BBQ jointYumYumEdVIPDined on 12/28/2012The baby back ribs and corn bread were very good, but the brisket was a bit of a disappointment in terms of flavor; I've made better smoked briskets on my smoker at home. All in all, not bad, but it was a blending of many styles rather than Texas/Memphis/Kansas City etc. as they discussed in the restaurant. I'll be back, just not sure when.Special Features:
- this place was fun! ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2012this place was fun! There was a special party going on the night we went, so the service wasn't great at all. We waited a good 45 minutes before we even got our appetizers. But they didn't charge us for one of them...so that was thoughtful of them. First off...MUST HAVE THE BRUSSELS SPROUT SLAW. omg...I'm still thinking about it. It was delicious. We ordered the pulled pork and the rib platter. It was all very good...their sauces are very interesting! It was a little pricey, but not over the top. and it's VERY LOUD, but that's part of the charm I guess. I'll definitely go back again.Special Features:
- A bit disappointing....MyPookieVIPDined on 12/18/2012A bit disappointing....My friend and I ordered the spicy chicken wings as an appetizer. The crust was great, but the chicken was as tough as leather. Our waiter, who was fabulous, took them back and sent us another order. Still tough. Our waiter tried to explain that it was the organic chicken.....We split a half order of ribs. They were tender but unremarkable in taste, just like their BBQ sauces. Long stringbeans were flavorful, but a bit undercooked. We didn't like the shared table set-up. Sorry folks, I won't be going back.............
- Mac 'n' cheese to die for...HeatherWildeVIPDined on 12/18/2012Lovely surprise of yummy barbecue accompanied by friendly, helpful wait staff. The brisket was terrific... topped though by the moist cornbread with corn kernels, no less... the accompanying "slaw" made with shredded brussels sprouts. We also shared the mac and cheese which was to die for... except that if I were dead I wouldn't be able to return... which I surely will do! Only complaint might be the seating which due to backless stools... unpadded... make it a little hard to want to linger too long. On the other hand, one appreciates the little shelf for a handbag... and understand the need to keep things moving and refilling tables!Special Features:
- We went a few weeks ago andmelissabmurrayVIPDined on 12/15/2012We went a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about the cornbread - which was just as good as I remember. I've gotten the steamed buns with pork belly both times and they are extra delicious and so much food! My brother got the pulled chicken steamed buns which was also really flavorful. Don't miss a side of cornbread either.Special Features:
- Mmmm brisket!Lyd312Dined on 12/11/2012The noise level was deafening we had to shout to our table mates. That really was the only negative, the food was amazing. We had the egg rolls, Mac and cheese and edamame apps. All were amazing, kudos on the edamame, it was something I'd like to duplicate at home. For dinner each of us tried a different entree so we tasted most of the BBQ items. The brisket was the second best I've ever had, and I'm a fiend for smoky delicious brisket. It melted in my mouth and the smoke flavor was beyond delightful. Overall I would go back it just wasn't a quiet place for a work party like we were expecting. Our server was great!!!! Friendly, fast and slightly psychic, always knew when we needed a drink or more napkins, be was just fantastic!Special Features:
- I expected more from the food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/10/2012I expected more from the food. The BBQ was okay, I've had better in the city. Even Famous Dave's is better in my opinion. The sauces were okay individually, better mixed. The Cornbread was really good though. We had the broccoli salad which was different in a good way. Nothing came out as outstanding. Not sure if its a place I'd visit again except for the cocktail was really good (but pricey).
- The perfect kind of fusionCMHORDVIPDined on 12/8/2012During a weekend of dining out at phenomenal restaurants, Dragon Ranch was the highlight! It may not have had the white tablecloths, but sitting at the kitchen counter was better than any dinner by candlelight. The unique appetizers were my favorite part, the moonshine drinks that my server explained well enough to make me want to try them were fabulous, and the meat was cooked so perfectly that I didn't mind that none of the sauces are particularly spicy. When I returned, a couple of my favorites from the first visit were no longer on the menu, but it was still outstanding, and I like a restaurant that has a menu that evolves. Add some actually spicy hot sauce and there would be nothing left to improve!Special Features:
- BBQ pulled pork and cornbreadcasualdinerDined on 12/8/2012BBQ pulled pork and cornbread were the favorites. Great, lively, loud atmosphere, with close seating.
- Ok not great. Some items areEmberVIPDined on 12/7/2012Ok not great. Some items are very good, others were rather bland - like the pulled pork and pulled chicken. Get the fried pickles. Yummy.Special Features:
- The food was very unique butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012The food was very unique but delicious. Great BBQ spin with the touch of Asian fusion. Significant drink menu and moonshine drinks that live up to the legacy. Very helpful server with quality recommendations. The open seating, diner style was nice, but made more for a quick meal than a long sit down dinner. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Overall Amazing...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/4/2012Service and food were AMAZING! I absolutely love Dragon Ranch. I recommend it to everyone that asks for good BBQ and drinks.Special Features:
- Food was great and they haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/1/2012Food was great and they have delicious drinks. Great for groups. Pretty low key and casualSpecial Features:
- Excellent BBQ spot in theshelman88VIPDined on 11/30/2012Excellent BBQ spot in the middle of downtown Chicago. Food was great and ambiance was even better! Highly recommend for a fun night out!Special Features:
- wow it's greatRootDined on 11/29/2012wow awesome barbeque.. you have to try the cornbread - and takes some home - and the mac n cheese and the brussel sprouts. all awesome. will go again.Special Features:
- Food was better than I expected.moneybagsVIPDined on 11/28/2012Food was better than I expected. I enjoyed their house-made rye whiskey. Would have liked to see an even bigger selection of unique craft spirits that I might not already have on my bar at home.
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/28/2012This has become my new favorite place to take clients for lunch. Everyone always walks away satisfied, impressed. It's not too fussy or fancy, but still very upscale, great food, perfect service. 5 stars across the board.Special Features:
- We went for brunch and thekirstjenVIPDined on 11/25/2012We went for brunch and the place was empty when we showed up at 11am. I would describe the food as BBQ with an Asian flair. We had eggs benedict with a Thai coconut curry Hollandaise and a side of long beans in a sweet soy sauce. The service was very good, as was the food. If you don't want to drink, the beverage list is a failure. A non-alcoholic beer should be available for breakfast as should a list of juices and juice blends. Something about moonshine & bourbon for breakfast makes me feel queasy.Special Features:
- Interesting fusion of AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/24/2012Interesting fusion of Asian and deep south... White Whiskey, smoked ribs and Chicken ubon soup? Absolutely wonderful meal. Long tables with mixed parties, but not crammed. Really neat atmosphere, terrific food, nice bar, fun place.Special Features:
- Thank you, Dragon Ranch!kjhcVIPDined on 11/24/2012Thank you, Dragon Ranch! The food was delicious (lick your plate even) and the service was prompt and friendly. I saw hints of the Asian influence and you changed my opinion of coleslaw! Love the water on tables, mismatched plates, and bench seating. Can't wait to find an excuse to come back!Special Features:
- Spare ribs are excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012Spare ribs are excellent, so is cornbread. Order the sweet potato hash as an appetizer and share ... delish.Special Features:
- I was very impressed by DragonmelissabmurrayVIPDined on 11/23/2012I was very impressed by Dragon Ranch, our server was great and really knew what he was talking about. The food blew my expectations away! Our table shared the sweet potato hash and a bucket of waffle fries (be warned, the sauce is spicy). I had the pork belly steamed buns which were delicious, and even great as leftovers the next day. The best part of the meal was the cornbread. I can't wait to go back and have more - and we will most definitely be back.Special Features:
- Moonshine cocktails! EnjoyedsofiadujourVIPDined on 11/18/2012Moonshine cocktails! Enjoyed the dragon egg and pimiento dip ... but most of all enjoyed the fact that there is a good place with a fun vibe to eat late night, besides breakfast food.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012Food was outstanding. Service was too. I definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Nice bbq joint. The spareribsmikeDined on 11/16/2012Nice bbq joint. The spareribs were very tender and had a nice smokey flavor, definitely the star of the night. The pig ear appetizer was tasty, but the portion, to be honest, was way too much for two people. Service was great, but their seating arrangements are extremely poor. It's all communal seating we saw countless times people being asked to move to another table to accomodate a bigger party. Overall Dragon Ranch was good, but wouldn't make my top 5 bbq spots.Special Features:
- Great Smokey ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/16/2012I like the community tables. It makes for a cozy atmosphere to go with some comfort food. The server, Lauren, was very attentive and friendly. I never felt pressured or pushed to get in and out. We started with the pig ears that had a wonderful bbq seasoning and perfect crispness. The baby back ribs were seasoned so well that they didn't even need sauce. This is a good thing because the sauces were the only disappointment. I also had the chopped brisket which had a great smokey flavor but there was no good sauce to accompany it. Last, they could have THE BEST CORNBREAD.Special Features:
- Fun food and bar menu. HowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2012Fun food and bar menu. How many places can boast so many choices of moonshine? Fried pig ears appetizer unusual, spicy, great with drinks and easy to share. Service could be a bit quicker. Choose this place if you like a lively atmosphere with a fun take on BBQSpecial Features:
- Bit of a different twist onDerekVIPDined on 11/12/2012Bit of a different twist on BBQ with an Asian infusion. Overall wasnt very impressed with quality of the meat or flavor of the BBQ. I was a bit disappointed I couldnt get a pulled pork or brisket sandwich. However, their cornbread and mac n cheese were very good. Also we liked the Bacon grilled cheese as well.
- I would highly recommend thisbuckeyegirlVIPDined on 11/11/2012I would highly recommend this for takeout as the food is very good. Service is beyond awful and its very noisy and cold (half the seats are right under the vents and is communal seating).Special Features:
- This was my first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012This was my first time to Dragon Ranch. I couldn't believe how loud that place is. I understand that it is a bar, but trying to eat there with that kind of noise in the background wasn't enjoyable at all. As for the food, part of it wasn't delivered. The coleslaw needs work because it's way too dry. But, the ribs and brisket were okay.Special Features:
- Excellent spare ribs, sweetOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2012Excellent spare ribs, sweet potato hash and chocolate bread pudding. The meat is excellent!Special Features:
- We ordered the Mac N' CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/8/2012We ordered the Mac N' Cheese and the combination platter with the pulled chicken, pulled pork, and the baby back ribs. The Mac n' Cheese was good, but extremely rich, more like ziti. The chicken and pork were both tasty, but nothing really to ride home about. They offer four sauces and they were tasty. The baby back ribs were anything but tender. We read multiple reviews on how tasty ribs were, but they did not live up to the expectations at all. If you read the recent review of Guy Fieri's NYC restaurant, this fits the ribs. They were described as "tender and juicy", but they were everything but, and in fact we both had to gnaw at the bone to get the meat off to eat it. On a brighter note, the hush puppies were amazing.
- Noisy, bad slow service, marginalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2012Noisy, bad slow service, marginal food. We didn't feel so well after we are there.
- Food was really good -- notOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2012Food was really good -- not too many people in on a Monday evening, so the food came out quick.Special Features: