2050 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.downtowncaliforniacuisine.com/
- Phone: 6503648696x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm -9:00pm
Lunch: Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Friday 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday 10:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Saturday 5:00pm -10:00pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm -9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Heder Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Downtown can make your event special. Whether you have your event at our restaurant or off-site, our delicious food and warm staff will make sure your event is successful and memorable.
- Cross Street: Main St.
- Public Transit: Located in lively Redwood City, we are just blocks away from the bus and train station. Our restaurant is just steps away from several live music venues as well as a twenty screen movie theatre. Make us part of your lunch or dinner plans.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking is available and there is a public lot on the same block.
A word from Downtown
Downtown is an exciting restaurant with a delightfully unique menu based on California-style cuisine. We feature fresh, local, organic produce, certified pasture-fed Angus beef free from growth hormones, and free-range chicken and eggs. Pair your meal with our robust selection of domestic, hand-crafted wines and local and European beers. Downtown's friendly staff make this a comfortable and enjoyable family restaurant and is sure to satisfy every taste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Downtown - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (9)great for brunch (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- MarkSDined on 8/16/2014We had two half salads. Both were very good. We each ordered the skirt steak. It was excellent. Their gelato dessert was ordinary.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD GREAT TIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2014We've only been here for dinner, so can't comment on the rest. Noel, our waiter, was THE BEST, the kitchen was right on with everything they created. Everyone was friendly, yet professional. We were a group of 8, not always easy, but no one ever missed a step. We sampled much of the menu, sliders, lamb, salads, I had a trio of veggies for my dinner... fantastic and the desserts!!! Wow! Great bread pudding, amazing Apple Tart... the crust!!! I know Downtown is the new kid on the block, but don't understand why there wasn't a line out the door......Special Features:
- great appatizers and small plateBJ54Dined on 7/25/2014they had a power outage but were still able to keep our reservations.....food was great...love the small plte choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence in Redwood CityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Recently opened, Downtown has the potential and deserves to become a vibrant part of the downtown Redwood City dining experience. Food and presentation are excellent. They are still getting all the details right, e.g. the artichoke appetizer was served with only four pieces of bread, not nearly enough for the generous serving. Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- really surprised - will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/19/2014Kids and adults really enjoyed the food, waited was really nice bringing crayons and asking girls to draw him a butterfly. Food was good to excellent. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Food good ... Pricing dubiousEbo123Dined on 7/15/2014The food was good. The service was a bit haphazard (new staff?). My only complaint was the pricing was a bit misleading. For example the menu said $29 but the check came at $29.95.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Small Plate & Veggie OptionsJGirlDined on 7/8/2014My party and I really enjoyed the Roasted Beet salad and Polenta Cakes. Our server was polite, attentive and was knowledgeable about the wine selections. His recommendation was spot on! The restaurant was surprisingly quiet; I hope it gets the attention it deserves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceKellyGirlSFDined on 7/6/2014My friend and I went I Downtown for lunch. The salads were delicious.. The menu is more limited at lunch- but we found what we wanted in their salad selection. The service was really top notch. My friend ordered a lite beer.. There were two options. She kept to what she knew.. But our server also brought a sma sample of the other lite option for her to try. A nice gesture. I had a great glass of red wine. Mid way through the me.. He brought me a "taste" of a new red wine they were now selling.. Because he felt it only fair I get to try something extra too! It was a small but sweet gesture that I appreciated. Good service is such a rarity nowadays- it made the difference and I would recommend the place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousGood2tasteDined on 6/30/2014This was my third visit and the food was again wonderful. We had the 12oz sirloin and potatoes Au gratin. The steak is huge(I took home half of it and it was even great reheated two days later). I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchJenniVIPDined on 6/15/2014Took my hubby here for Father's Day with our kid and he loved it. Awesome food, low key, but nice atmosphere. Service could be a bit more attentive but I give them points for effort and friendliness. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your moneybruno4Dined on 5/31/2014We were a table of seven here and each of our food was over-salted. Management argued with us over that fact, despite our repeated attempts to convince them, and refused to credit our bill for the worst food. Cheap floor that moved every time people walked by. Lighting was bad. Noise level was too loud for a small place. The cooks were rude and the owner should not be anywhere near a restaurant.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014Great food and wine selections. Fast, friendly, and efficient service. Our server, Noel, was top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGood2tasteDined on 5/25/2014This was my second experience at Downtown. Better than the first. I'm so glad they are no open on Sundays. We enjoyed the Ny steak, and the potatoes Au Gratin were to die for!!! We had a beef teriyaki appetizer that was not on the menu, but recommended. So glad, it was delicious.Only negative was the scallops my friend ordered. They were delicious but Portion size too small, only 3 scallops. Dessert was an unexpected treat!!! The Napoleon, while not the type I usually love, but, was even better. I recommend Downtown. The only reason for four rather than five stars is the high ceilings make it noisy and I had difficulty hearing the waiter and the portion size previously mentioned.Special Features:
- Great DiscoverybeaglemommaDined on 5/17/2014Had not heard of this restaurant since it opened and was very pleasantly surprised. I feel like it's a best kept secret. The CA cuisine menu was varied with many choices (meat, poultry, fish, vegetables and pasta) and the food was excellent. It's so nice to have another local restaurant that isn't Italian - we have way too many of those. Each dish was "artistically" presented and the flavors and seasonings well balanced. The staff was friendly and attentive and the decor and atmosphere were very nice. Will definitely plan on coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night outMenloGalVIPDined on 5/17/2014Acoustics can make it difficult to hear your companions, very high ceilings, but the decor is pleasant. The good was good. Return of server to see how everything was was too long and ill timed as we both had mouthfuls of food. Had a very strong "brick oven pizza" smell that was a bit overwhelming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible endingmelisDined on 5/17/2014Dinner was decent. A bit overpriced for the flavor/amount of food. Dessert ruined the evening. The apple tart took over 15minutes and when they brought it to the table, it was cold. It was a very disappointing end to a mediocre meal.
- Team of 23MAlanizDined on 5/12/2014I booked for 20 attendees, 23 arrived. The staff was very accommodating and attentive. The food was good. Outside of the 23 people in our group, there were only two occupied tables with 2-3 customers. Which is slightly discouraging, however, the food was good!Special Features:
- Good food, better value.feedmeDined on 5/11/2014On Mother's Day, we ordered a chicken breast stuffed with bacon and gruyere, crab capellini, and asparagus with prosciutto. All were good with the chicken the best. The chicken was roasted with the skin on, leaving it moist inside with a nice crispy exterior. A good value at $19. The three spears of asparagus were served with a generous portion of decent-quality prosciutto. An excellent value at $5. There were numerous misspellings on the menu and the waiter was a bit uninformed although the overall service was friendly and prompt. Overall, Downtown is not as polished or innovative as many other higher-end restaurants but it is relatively inexpensive and is a good choice for a pre-movie or concert dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but understaffedJenniVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went there for Mother's Day and the service was very friendly but atrociously slow. We waited for 30 minutes before even getting waters. Another 30 minutes for my wine and what felt like an hour later for food. Our server was so sweet and apologetic and the food was so good, that I'll try it again. I just don't know why they don't have more people working.Special Features:
- Btr Options in dwntown than DwntownAvidRWCDinerDined on 5/9/2014Its just not that great. Have tried it several times now & despite a new chef coming on board, the food is still just OK, & in some cases, not worth the money. The salmon & the scallops have been cooked great; although the scallops were very salty. The vegetables that come with these dishes are not good. Fish should be served with fresh broccoli, asparagus, squash, not drowned in some kind of strange red sauce & when squash is advertised it should not be so small that it is barely noticeable. $24 for three scallops-not only is this over priced for the size, but the serving was better akin to an appetizer & not an entree. 3 attempts, two chefs with the crispy won tons & always burned. Good location with potential, but needs help with menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/26/2014Downtown has a great menu with a wonderful selection of roasted vegetable, hummus and flatbread, artichoke dip & toasted bread, as well as salads, steaks, etc. Noel was our waiter and he is superb providing us optimum service and yet allowing us to relax and enjoy the meal. You really have to give this restaurant a try.....it is a neighborhood gem:)Special Features:
- The following 11 reviews are from the Downtown reviews archive.
- Great Downtown DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/21/2014Our server was very nice and attentive. The menu is fabulous as their is so much to choose from and they have great appetizers, side dishes that are not only reasonably priced but they are delicious, as well as great salads and entrees. You just gotta go and try this restaurant for yourself. I am thrilled to have a great restaurant in our community and wish them much success!Special Features:
- Another food find in Redwood CityOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/15/2014We had dinner for three at Downtown Tuesday evening. The menu was not extensive but was wide-ranging, with a number of attractive offerings. The dining room is not large but was open and inviting. Outside dining was available. Noise level was quite low for California restaurants, making for easy conversation. The service was attentive and prompt, with no long waits for dishes. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/29/2014Great food and great service. The menu has many options and the food is delicious. I must say, I was quite pleasantly surprised! The lamb shank was fabulous, as well as the vegetables.Special Features:
- Great vibe with an urban flairLJHADined on 3/25/2014Took a big group of co-workers to Downtown, and we had a fantastic time at this new find. From apps to dessert, everything was delicious. The service was excellent, and the very hip decor made it a great night out. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedReggieinRWCVIPDined on 3/21/2014If you enjoy eating in a college cafeteria you might like Downtown, but I doubt it. The place is disorganized, noisy and serves entrees that are cold. We were seated at a table with no table ware but decorated with a quarter sized dollop of red beet on the white table cloth from a prior diner. After I pointed it out, the hostess just wiped it to the floor and left. The salad and dinner plates remained in front of us long after we finished eating. At the prices charged, there are far better restaurants in Redwood City to dine, e.g. Bentley’s or Donato’s. Downtown is not a dining experience, it is just eating and not good eating. It is chaotic and noisy. I won’t return and suggest you not subject yourself to a bad experience.
- Good food, questionable servicebethpVIPDined on 3/21/2014Dined on a Friday nite, made reservations thru open table. Hostess could not find my name because I mentioned surname first and she had the reservations written first name first. Drinks & salad came -Beet salad very good, there was quite a long wait until the entrees- Halibut special, tasty. Manager came to apologize and would comp dessert. Second glass of wine order also took forever they ran out and did not have a full glass so they would comp the wine too. We just finished our entrees, hostess rudely slams down our check without us even asking for it. We did not dine here to get freebies but because of their horrid service they are ending up comping food & drink. Will never go back to this restaurant again even if the food is good.Special Features:
- Nice addition to RWCmichelleDined on 3/17/2014We had a very nice meal here. My husband especially enjoyed his risotto. Services as friendly and attentive. I really hope that this restaurant does wellSpecial Features:
- Okay foodthegallaghersVIPDined on 3/14/2014We had okay food and would probably not go here again. My husband had pasta and it was all stuck together and my salad was limp and not crunchy.
- Great food, mediocre staffprymnumberVIPDined on 3/12/2014We went for dinner on a quiet Wednesday night. The food was excellent. However, I can't say the same for the staff. I requested (twice) that potatos be left out of my dish, but still it was included in the dish. We had to flag down the staff to get our wine and water glasses refilled, and we were one of only two tables at the restaurant. Lastly, throughout the meal, I heard some guy yelling at someone else in the kitchen. The yelling got a bit distracting after a while. I would go back but only after the staff gains some more experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & friendly servicesOpt1VIPDined on 3/7/2014We have a group of 5 & 2 kids. Very accomodating with the kids who need to order and eat first. Food was good and reasonably price. I had their shrimp pasta which is their daily special and was very good and tasty. We also ordered the pizza with prociutto and arugular was very good and fresh. The pancetta wrap scallop was excellent and just right and tender. Steak was good as well. Glad to have another good restaurant in RWC downtown.Special Features:
- Okay food poor serviceLuckydogVIPDined on 3/7/2014I wanted to like this place, but didn't. The ambiance reflects it's former self, a diner. The service was just poor. No bread was offered, the food was good, but unremarkable. Our dessert did a tour around the restaurant a couple of times, because the server didn't know where to take it. Once we placed our order for drinks it took forever to arrive. The only thing that happened with any speed was the bill. I might have lunch here, but for dinner there are better places nearby.