DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
135 South 6th Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.downtownkitchen.com/
- Phone: (520) 623-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00-9:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:00pm - Close,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Janos Wilder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: BROADWAY + 6TH AVE
- Public Transit: If you are arriving on the public bus system you can stop at the Rondstat Center downtown and walk 1 1/2 blocks south on 6th Ave. to 135 S. 6th ave.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: DOWNTOWN Kitchen+Cocktails has a share lot on the north side of the building.
A word from DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
DOWNTOWN Kitchen+Cocktails is a New American restaurant. The menu is influenced by local seasonal produce combined with worldly cultural food that has influenced American cuisine. We also feature a creative wine list and a progressive cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (57)great for outdoor dining (53)good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (32)romantic (30)notable wine list (19)late-night find (12)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (7)scenic view (1)Show More
- A grand night outQueenBunDined on 11/18/2014It was good to be back to experience the imaginative menu offerings here. Of special interest is the Sense of Place menu. We had the Lamb from this menu plus the Jerked Pork. Both were succulent, full of flavor, and plentiful. Perhaps an extra tortilla or two would have been nice. The server was extra helpful; knowing that we wanted to share, he prepared separate plates for us. We started with the Mushroom Bread--to die for. In this case, the server almost carted the leftover sauce away too early. He understood when we protested. No dinner is complete without dark-chocolate-jalapeño ice cream. Scrumptious, and a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold mashes potatoes.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Mashed potatoes were cold as ice. They took for ever to bring the hot potatoes to my wife, by that time she had already finished her meal. Bad vibes.
- Slower Food, PleaseGourmetGhettoGoerVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had an excellent dinner recently. To start, we ordered our favorite Tucson cocktail, the Cuban Sunset. We were glad to see that the Jerked Pork of J-Bar fame is back, and that there are several new additions to the menu. We particularly recommend the octopus bruschetta appetizer. The service was excellent. We had a knowledgeable and affable server. The only demerit of the evening was the rushed service between the appetizer and the main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightNelleDined on 11/15/2014Our food was disappointing on a visit with out of town guests on Saturday. My husband had the lamb which seemed like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while: it was over cooked and served with beans and heavy corn dumplings that were not particularly yummy. My soft white trout was served with soft white squash and soft white potatoes...nothing to stimulate the senses or excite the palette. We were surprised and did not take leftovers home.
- Possibly Tucson's bestTucsonNewbieDined on 11/12/2014Took my wife and daughter to Downtown for my wife's birthday. All around excellent experience: great atmosphere, great food and outstanding drinks...the Oaxacan Dream tequila based cocktail with habanero was fantastic...but not for the faint of heart. Looking forward to our next visit...we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusalDined on 11/10/2014My friends and I ate well all over Tucson during All Souls Procession week, but we agreed that Downtown Kitchen was exceptional--way up at the top of the list. The whole menu was outstanding, the staff were genuinely great (adorable, even), and the art on the walls was gorgeous. It makes Tucson a destination for travelers. My best restaurant experience in the U.S.Special Features:
- LovelyCoraYvetteVIPDined on 11/8/2014We ate outside on the patio. The weather was perfect to sit outside. My Lamb barbecue was delicious. The menu is interesting melding southwestern cuisine & ingredients with classic cooking techniques. Always delicious, never boring.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/6/2014Good friendly service but Janos should employ an extra waiter/waitress because on the night we were there our waitress was stretched between too many tablesI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/5/2014Like others have said, calamari was amazing. Ordered the bistro steak. Thought it would be plain steak with mushroom sauce, but no, it was so good! I like how they let you taste the wine even when you order just a glass. Hope to be back soon!Special Features:
- PerfectionRickyDined on 10/21/2014The Sense of Place three-course meal was absolutely perfect and only $38. Beautiful place and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selection of food.dining2eDined on 10/18/2014Their were of four of us dining and everyone chose something different. We had a difficult time deciding as all the choices sounded wonderful. This is not a meat and potatoes kind of dining, but a great place for something different and wonderful. We all enjoyed our choices and will gladly return.Special Features:
- A Tucson FavoriteRegularVisitorToDKVIPDined on 10/14/2014One of our favorite downtown restaurants, Downtown Kitchen can always be counted on for offering excellent food from an electric menu and regularly updated menu. Every appetite and every entree ordered by the four of us was excellent. That said, please bring back the mussels!Special Features:
- Great service; interesting flavorsEJVW4Dined on 10/11/2014From the hostesses, to our initial server, and thru the person who helped us for the remainder of our stay, the service was truly excellent: friendly, attentive, quick, careful. Each of my cocktails was vibrant, lush, and perfectly mixed. My wife's cocktail was liquid fire (being made from pepper-infused vodka). Similarly, my meal was fantastic. Contrastingly, my wife and (teenaged) son had a tough time finding something to like about their meals. Upon reflection, we three understand that this is a eatery designed for discerning palettes. That said, there's certainly something to be said about having an entree or two that aren't so she-she-poo-poo. Accordingly, I wouldn't recommend this establishment to any of my friends with kids.Special Features:
- Great Food!NattyODined on 10/11/2014I had a wonderful expereince once again at Downtown Kitchen. Great food and drinks!Special Features:
- Wish we had chosen differently1thinmintDined on 10/5/2014We were two couples. Three had a berrata pasta dish, I had the meatloaf. berrata was very salty, uncomplicated. My meatloaf tasted gamey and the bacon around its girth was raw. We were celebrating a birthday. The waitress came out with a special birthday dessert: an empty plate with a candle affixed to the center...make a wish the waitress said...wish we never came we all miraculously wished. The food was not to our liking but the birthday plate was cheap and insulting. Better to have done nothing as a restaurant policy than to make your clients the butt of an unfunny joke.
- Fun spot for outdoor diningMattDined on 10/3/2014this was our first visit to Downtown Kitchen, though we really used to enjoy the original Janos restaurant at La Paloma. The inside of the restaurant was only about 1/3 full on arrival but was very loud inside. We opted for patio dining instead, which was perfect. Our server was brusque, and lacked the ability or willingness to pause before interrupting our conversations to give us a moment to wrap up a point. She would start barking questions at us even as she was still taking her last steps towards the table. It happened repeatedly and our guests noted & commented about it too. The other staff were great, so hopefully she was just having a bad night. The food was solidly good, though not great. We may try it again sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Play dinning Good spot to havegoldensueDined on 10/3/2014a lovely meal prior to downtown entertainment. Reservations are a must on Friday or Saturday nights.Special Features:
- Will Never ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014The food was ok, but didn't surpass the fact that the service SUCKED. We had a waiter who may have spent a total of 3 minutes at our table over the period of 1.5hrs. Drinks were 15 mins from when ordered. All food came at same time without a question of how we wanted it (soup & salad first, shouldn't have had to say that). And to top it off at the end after we'd complained the waiter came out saying "I hear someone is celebrating an Anniversary" with 2 candles on a plate. Just 2 lit candles and NOTHING ELSE. It was definitely his way of saying please don't come back so we won't. Hands down one of the worst services I've ever experienced. The only highlight was Priscilla our busser - she was very attentive!
- marindinerDined on 10/3/2014We went during happy hour where certain drinks were half price and appetizers were reduced price. We had the fish tacos which were excellent but spicy. Also had the calamari which was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, service OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I heard this restaurant was good, but my experience this restaurant is just OK. We came early and we had to sit outside waiting for our dinner reservation time. The hostess did not even give us an option to sit inside. We sat at the front corner of the restaurant, there were bugs and flies. The food was OK. When the food came, it was just lukewarm. They were probably sitting inside for a while before the waiter brought it to us. The taste was pretty good, but since it wasn't hot, it was only OK. The dessert was not good. For the price, I expected better service and better food.
- Great Experience!swdwellerDined on 9/30/2014We chose to sit in the streetside section, which naturally was a little mouser but this did not interfere with the great dining experience. The food was excellent and the service outstanding. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- irish1Dined on 9/28/2014Overall, everyone liked their meals. I had the seafood stew and I thought it needed to have more seafood for the price. It was a slight meal. I appreciated being honoring my seating request.Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualAnonymousDined on 9/26/2014Downtown Kitchen is always a great spot! Food, drinks and service are always wonderful. They are very aware if you have a show to attend after dinner and will keep you on time. Janos (the owner and head chef) is usually always in attendance.Special Features:
- MaggieMaggieDined on 9/23/2014Dinners are delicious of course.. And are served in a reasonable portion. I ordered the pasta and it was served in a rather small bowl and I still took home leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent overallrussfourDined on 9/21/2014The crispy calamari was amazing! Perfectly cooked with a very complex, delicate sauce. The catfish with cheesy bacon grits was OK. A little too heavy for my tastes. And I didn't care for this white sauce (tartar-like sauce) that came with it. But it was rescued by desert. The chocolate pyramid with salted caramel ice cream didn't disappoint. Not overly sweet. Perfect paired with a cup of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local diningtravelinman1981Dined on 9/21/2014My girlfriend and I visited Downtown on a Sunday night for an early dinner before seeing a show at the Fox Theater. The restaurant was relatively busy for 5:30pm, but we got right in with a reservation. She had one of the pasta dishes, and I had the Sunday night special fried chicken and mac&cheese. Both meals were great. If anything, the service was almost too good (e.g., water refills with the glasses more than half full). I would not suggest this if you're looking for a quiet, private evening, but it is not over-the-top noisy, either. It's good food, with a strong local focus, close to downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always something newFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Janos keeps the menu changing and fresh every week. Janos is always very attentive to his guests.Special Features:
- Great service, good food!Erin032903Dined on 9/19/2014The normal Janos service-fantastic. The food was very good. Only issue- menu does not describe all ingredients, dishes came with ingredients I am unable to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodcritic79VIPDined on 9/18/2014I think that they need a better dessert menu . We had the jalapeño icecream was not for my taste how ever their food was very good and tasty with every biteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- donnadonnaDined on 9/13/2014we had a very enjoyable experience at downtown kitchen...four of us each ordered something and each one of us were very satisfied with our choices...the restaurant is very loud and does have a decent happy hour menu which we plan to come back to try..we were on a time schedule due to theater arrangements and our waitor got us out exactly on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentwildradDined on 9/12/2014Downtown Kitchen is one of our favorites. Consistent may sound boring, but it's not meant that way. The food, cocktails and service are always terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmet delightoutoftownfoodiesDined on 9/11/2014Excellent service, creative Peruvian menu. Every one's meal was a gastronomic feast. Presentation was colorful, flavors rich, quantities adequate. Would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special !!!bolennikDined on 9/9/2014The food was excellent if you like exotic and very spicy one ... but only Peruvian dishes don't make your guest always happy !!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014I had high expectations knowing that this was a Janos restaurant but was extremely disappointed. The food was mediocre, nothing special at all, just passable. I had the meatloaf wrapped in bacon and mashed potatoes. I am from LA which has many similar restaurants with much better food. The ambiance is fun and the downtown scene is happening, but come on, they need to up their food game.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerFabSDWeekendDined on 9/6/2014Service was fantastic. Very attentive, personable, and professional. Food was just ok to us. But a very nice restaurant that we would try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the HypeQECFoodieDined on 9/5/2014We are new to Tucson and had heard wonderful things about the Downtown Kitchen. We were not disappointed! From the cocktails and appetizers to the main courses and desserts it was a fabulous experience! The server was knowledgable and helpful! I can't wait to go back and see what is on their menu next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurebirthdaygirlDined on 9/5/2014Count on an innovative menu; as usual, I had a difficult choice to make but was quite pleased with the duck entree. The somen noodles were fine but not more than that; the dessert, however, was outstanding, not only in concept but in richness and pure chocolate decadence. Can't go wrong at this restaurant, and with the ever-changing focus of the menu, can't get bored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent QualityZ4AlexDined on 9/5/2014Always very good and well worth eating here when in TucsonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014We were there November of last year, with a group of people for my birthday. It was a great experience. Service was great & so was ambience! This last visit was a bit different. It went from a higher standard to mediocre. The staff was in t-shirts, which made us feel over dressed! Second, we were a table of 4 & were celebrating a birthday & anniversary. Our server did acknowledge, which was great. However, in celebration for our events, she brought us two plates with a single candle on it. For goodness sake, decorate it a little. I'm not even asking for a piece of cake, but perhaps, a little presentation. Use a little chocolate syrup & write Happy Birthday. Take a little time to show you care! Unfortunately we won't be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EccelcticLisaDVIPDined on 8/27/2014Interesting mix of food available. We chose a limited time menu from Jerusalem - nice to try something we wouldn't have otherwise. Food was obviously fresh and homemade.Special Features: