DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
135 South 6th Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.downtownkitchen.com/
- Phone: 5206237700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00-9:00pm
Friday-Saturday 5:00pm - Close,
Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Janos Wilder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: BROADWAY + 6TH AVE
- Public Transit: If you are arriving on the public bus system you can stop at the Rondstat Center downtown and walk 1 1/2 blocks south on 6th Ave. to 135 S. 6th ave.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: DOWNTOWN Kitchen+Cocktails has a share lot on the north side of the building.
A word from DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails
DOWNTOWN Kitchen+Cocktails is a New American restaurant. The menu is influenced by local seasonal produce combined with worldly cultural food that has influenced American cuisine. We also feature a creative wine list and a progressive cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)special occasion (76)neighborhood gem (64)great for outdoor dining (52)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (42)hot spot (41)romantic (41)late-night find (29)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great MealAZTedDined on 5/7/2014My wife and I were celebrating an early Mother's day and doing a concert at the Fox Theatre. This restaurant is within a short walk to both the Rialto and Fox Theatre with convenient free street parking after 5:00 pm. The food excellent with a beautiful presentation. We will go back.Special Features:
- L.A. comes to visitmamabearDined on 5/3/2014We took our L.A.-based son to Janos Kitchen and had a great time. Upscale, eclectic. However, 2/3 meals were unimpressive and vastly different from the "same" entree happily experienced elsewhere. I ordered my entree because I :love" "xxx." Janos "xxx" was so different from many other experiences, it was a let down. I love beets. Beet salad was TOO MANY beets, not enough goat cheese, and large bowl was wrong vehicle. All aside, it is a great restaurant, and we will certainly return. Happy to support Janos as he supports downtown.Special Features:
- Hit me just rightJimIndyDined on 4/30/2014Great balance of menu, execution and atmosphere. Creative dishes were flavorful and light. Definitely recommend for low key evening with customers. Will go back when I return to Tucson.Special Features:
- Downtown TreasureAZNativeDined on 4/27/2014We had tickets to a show at Centennial Hall. After a polite and friendly greeting the waitress asked us if we had plans for the evening and were we on a time line. That was a first for the Tucson downtown scene! The food was creative and delicious. Nice wines. Service couldn't be faulted! We were out in plenty of time!Special Features:
- Food not up to pardowntownfanDined on 4/26/2014This was our 4th visit for dinner. We really like dining in the downtown and especially this restaurant. However our food selections lacked the usual wonderful inventiveness and taste. The asparagus appetizer consisted of raw asparagus on top of a smear of ricotta cheese. Very bland. I ordered the seafood stew. It was good but very little seafood, mostly a Thai flavored rice. My husband and friends ordered the meatloaf. It was OK but nothing special. The mussel appetizer was the best of what we ordered. We will definitely return and assume we were there on an off night. Our service was five star stellar.Special Features:
- local fare with great atmosphere.lakelady2Dined on 4/26/2014Our duck fish wasn't very tasty, but the beet salad and the trout were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Kitchen disappointingdiner9Dined on 4/26/2014We went to the restaurant hoping for a special start to the evening which included a night at Arizona Theater. The cocktails were great, service was good, but my husbands pork was tough - it was supposed to be pork tenderloin but what he had was a pork chop. He mentioned it to the waitress and received a free desert in response. But, who wants to have to complain about the food? And did I say it was not cheap?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Kitchen just OKCorlissDined on 4/24/2014Had not been here in two years and realized why. We were greeted promptly and taken to our table. The hostess took our orders. One in our party specifically asked for a burger withno bun, jalapeno peppers or onions or mayonaise. the burger came with bun, peppers, onions and mayonaise. they took it off the bill, however. They have few gluten free options and some of the food is too rich. They need some simpler items like a wonderful roast chicken.Special Features:
- LOMaxVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great place if you are looking to eat downtown or close to U of A. Weird menu but it works. I had a pasta dish that was a recipe of Mario Batalli and it was delicious. My wife had the pork chop, also delicious. Chocolate jalapeño sundae was a unique treat. Very reasonable price. Decent wine list.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch8hereDined on 4/20/2014Food was good but over priced for what you got. Service was fantastic!Special Features:
- Mushroom MagicCamtronV1Dined on 4/19/2014I swear to God. It tastes like heaven. It was some sort of mushroom bread, and it changed my life. I highly recommend it if it is there.Special Features:
- Food is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014Janos creates wonderful dishes that are creative and delicious. It was Saturday night and it was very loud, we were seated in a seat that had it's back to the bar. Unfortunately, the bar overflowed into our space and it was very uncomfortable. After complaining twice we finally got moved to a much better place in the restaurant. Janos did come over and apologize as did our waiter. My issue was with the host staff who pretty much looked at me like it was no big deal and that the bar patrons would be seated soon, so I should just put up with it. I had to ask them twice to move us, I also told the waiter who then got us moved. We did enjoy our experience after the move, just thought that the host staff did not react appropriately.Special Features:
- Best in downtown TucsonBlancheDined on 4/19/2014There is nothing to complain about at Downtown Kitchen. The service was excellent but not intrusive. The food (Brazilian seafood stew and "shrimp with a sense of place") was outstanding. Prices were reasonable for what you got. All in all, a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Unique menu options and several gluten free choices. Service was outstanding!Special Features:
- What a delightericdbrightVIPDined on 4/15/2014My wife and I went tonight, and were really pleased. It's just south of Broadway and has a neighborhood-like feel because there's little traffic or passersby like you'd get on Congress or Broadway. It's wide open inside, and has a modern supper club feel. The menu is quite varied and eclectic. There are Asian, Brazilian, Southwest, and other types of cuisine on the menu. It could be a little more focused, but it gives you many different options. The food was really well balanced, the dishes were colorful and appealing to the eye. Our server, Alex, and the rest of the staff was great. It was our first time here, and my first time ever at a Janos restaurant, and I'm a fan.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant!DiabetesDocDined on 4/14/2014We are visiting my sister in Tucson, we made some reservations and enjoyed our food, the ambiance and waitress (Melanie) so much that we came back last night for dinner again. The menu is delectable and healthy, we especially recommend the Brazilian Stew. Cudos to Janos for having one of the best restaurants in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2014We are from out of state...this restaurant rates with the best! We will not hesitate to recommend this restaurant as a "must go to"! We found the menu very eclectic...everyone in our party enjoyed their fare. The wine list was impressive and the service outstanding. When we return to Tucson in he future (and we will), we will definitely come back to this great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improved menuNicknameVIPDined on 4/12/2014The menu no longer has mostly hot seasoning so one has better choices of a variety of interesting dishes to choose from. As always, it is noisy where the tables are close together, but many like the energy of that.Special Features:
- Pleasant experience at DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014Being a native Tucsonan, it really warms"the cockles of my heart" to improvements done to the downtown city core. Downtown, the restaurant, is one such enhancement. The draw is that this is a Janos restaurant and the expectation of quality food is an imperative, and Janos DOES deliver! Excellent dinner menu with choices to suit any palate. We wanted to eat outdoors because the outside dining venue is quite pleasant, but it was too windy. Really enjoyable time! Had fun talking to Sara, the bartender, and really like the tasteful decor of the restaurant. Prices are on the upper-end, but we've learned to expect and ACCEPT that at a Jano's restaurant. Great dining experience. Thank you Janos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inspired cooking!Love2cookDined on 4/11/2014Unpretentious but lovely presentation that really suited the unique and outrageously good chow. Been to a lot of restaurants that thought they were something special, but this place is awesome, from cocktails right on through.Special Features:
- Great dining adventureJeffDined on 4/6/2014Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails was a great dining adventure at a reasonable price. A very interesting and imaginative menu, with a good wine selection. The service was very prompt and efficient. The downtown location close to our hotel. We will definitely re-visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downtown gemamk1212Dined on 4/5/2014We sat for a bit without any service. However, once we caught the eye of a waitress we were well taken care of. I had the fish stew and my husband ate the pasta fragoili (sp?). We were both pleased. Parking was the only downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, so-so experienceTucsonVisitorDined on 4/4/2014Food was excellent, particularly the calamari starter and duck entree. The starter was innovative, tender and well balanced. The duck was as good as I've had anywhere, cooked to perfection and perfectly complemented with appropriate sides of creative starch and greens not the slight bit bitter or overlooked. A better wine list and more professional service would have matched the cuisine well. Courses were rushed as if we were tight on time to make our next engagement (not the case), and although well intending, one got the impression the server had never been schooled in the finer points of service. But the kitchen did great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janos triumphs again!RJ3146Dined on 4/3/2014Downtown Kitchen delivers the best food in Tucson and the most imaginative menu. Janos is the closest thing we have to Alice Waters.Special Features:
- Eclectic New Menu is a HitChowHoundVIPDined on 4/3/2014We dined here on the first day of the new spring menu, and everyone was delighted with their dinner choices. Between us we had a seafood stew, chicken panzanella roulade, porterhouse pork chop, catfish, and a shrimp dish. For starters we had the always tasty Laotian green papaya salad, the beet salad (which is big enough for 3), and the Hamachi crudo. And for dessert a chocolate jalapeno sundae and the lemon curd (which was the winner by far). The food is always stellar and their drinks are good too, but by the time you add it all together, this is a restaurant where you'll end up spending a minimum of $60 per person - kind of pricey in my book for a place I'd go to more than a few times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in TucsonMaineDined on 4/2/2014This is undoubtedly the best dinner I have had in Tucson in twenty years. Calamari appetizer delicious, Oaxacan Dream a superb cocktail and the Moqueca de Peixe (Brazilian Stew) fit for a King. Quantities are more than generous generating a second meal at home. Service is first class, well trained personnel who are there when needed and not intrusive otherwise. Noise level very acceptable, conversation at a table for two was audible and pleasant, tables are close but we were never aware of conversation from either side.. Restaurant was full and busy with comings and goings but one wasn't particularly aware of other people around. Superb spot for a very pleasant, gourmet meal. Janos is a master.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion HitEOBSDined on 3/31/2014We dined here for our last night after a month in Tucson - to celebrate a month of warmth, hiking, birding and general relaxation. The food was very interesting and well-prepared - Servings generous. Sauces great. One of us had the lamb penne (which tasted a bit strong) and the other the pork with squash, beans and apples, which was a very large serving. We passed on the dessert but I'm sure it would have been terrific - Server was attentive but not hovering - he had a Huge station to deal with. Prices acceptable given the quality. I had a specialty cocktail and it was fun. Altogether, a great way to end our stay in Tucson. We will recommend it and will return when we come back next winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencePhilipDined on 3/28/2014Every part of the meal and experience here was great. Our server was friendly, attentive yet unobtrusive, and helpful; the cocktails were very interesting and flavorful; the menu was varied and unique; the food was delicious and well-presented. The restaurant seated us promptly, and has a very classy vibe. I will definitely return, and have already recommended Downtown Kitchen to several friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative entrees, well preparedCtakDined on 3/28/2014Excellent entrees...unique recipes. Great service. Also, creative concoctions for cocktails!Special Features:
- I had a local menu type appetizerKarenDined on 3/27/2014I had a local menu type appetizer and shrimp local for dinner. They were Southwestern and very different and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative food not to be missedK1234Dined on 3/23/2014Wow - perhaps the best of the new food scene in Tucson. Very innovative flavor combinations that really work well. Everything from the signiture cocktails to the food had imaginative combinations that work really well. Vibrant and dynamic ambience paired well with good service, and an outstanding meal. I went for the "Sense of place" prix fixe and would absolutely do it again. Not to be missed in Tucson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerMothersDayFiascoDined on 3/22/2014We had had the desserts there before but never dinner. Desserts were tasty and different that most restaurants. Good selection. This time was to try dinner. None of us was disappointed. All had a lot of flavors. They smother the ribeye in some sauce, not a big fan of that but it was still good. We will go back just to try all the different items on the menu. A lot of spices and choices to make. The portions are okay, but a tad bit on the pricey side. Drinks are $9, they are very proud of them. Tables were a little close together for our liking. We enjoyed it, great service was key tour coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local hot spot!! LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Great local hot spot!! Local spices!! Thanks Jano!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wednesday night Downtownelb1Dined on 3/19/2014On a Wednesday night took two friends to Janos' Downtown. We sat inside, loved the artwork from Etherton Art Gallery, but it was a bit too noisy for the hard-of-hearing friend. First, three of us shared the Crispy Calamari , which was fabulous. One friend had the Pork Carnitas, Chorizo Chilaquiles + Native Seeds SEARCH Mole poached egg, which he thought was so-so, not spicy enough. two of us shared the Crispy Calamari, which was marvelous. Then we split the Moqueca de Peixe; I thought the sauce too thick, and didn't like the rice at the bottom of the bowl, which was mushy. One friend had the non-alcoholic Serrano Chile, Ginger, etc Soda to drink - quite spicy, but he loved it. The two of us each had the DKC Pisco Sour which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DiningWrinkledDinerDined on 3/19/2014It is always a pleasure to find a small, moderately priced restaurant with excellent food and an attentive wait staff. All four of us agreed that we will return to it on every night at the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014The food is interesting and well-prepared. They offer attentive service, and have a great location for pre or post-theater meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectedKimberDined on 3/16/2014The Cesar salad was super disappointing, a mere five pieces of romaine lettuce with little to nothing else. Dinners are creative, but a seem to be trying too hard. Too much salt on both of our main course dishes. The water served at the table was just unfiltered tap water, at least they could serve filtered water. We would not go back.Special Features:
- Gourmet Meatloaf?VinnyDined on 3/16/2014Ordinary dishes gussied up to foodie standards seems to be a goal—and I must say "achieved" with at least a couple of entrées. In particular, the meatloaf made with beef, pork, and lamb and then wrapped in spicy bacon was different and quite good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Unique DiningVickDined on 3/16/2014Our group of 6 were seated immediately. The dinner menu had a variety of spicy and not spicy entrees. The Mesculin salad was fresh, crisp & tasty. The Sunday special of southern fried chicken w/ mac and cheese & Andouille sausage along with southern style green beans was delicious. One of our group had the chicken 2 Japanese ways. One had the Grilled Rib-eye. One had the Shrimp with the sense of place. One had the pork porterhouse. All of the meals were beyond good. The pistachio cake was so light and so tasty. The bread pudding and the cheesecake were equally scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014This was our third time here and the food did not disappoint. The cocktails are very creative and the calamari appetizer was excellent. Never had a bad choice of entree yetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.