201 West Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.downtowngrille.com/
- Phone: 4348177080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sam Rochester
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Banquet room is a private dining room that can seat up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Sawrey, Michael Yuhasz 4348177080
A word from Downtown Grille
Step into the bar for a specialty cocktail and enjoy steak or seafood in our dining room. Fresh Mid-western corn-fed beef, seafood and extensive wine list honored by The Wine Spectator "Award of Excellence." Exquisite dining, superb ambiance, and professional staff. Smoke-free.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Downtown Grille - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Downtown Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)notable wine list (33)romantic (32)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (19)great for outdoor dining (18)scenic view (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- wxyzVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our server, Linda, was very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbieDined on 8/21/2014Food was outstanding, alittle pricey, sides should come with this price tag of an entree, this place has the best filet mignon, it actually beats Ruth Crisp and Peter Lugers in NYC. Thank you, We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful for multiple occassionsSLSlovesfoodDined on 8/20/2014I have eaten at Downtown Grille for both a larger special occasion and for a romantic dinner for two. Both were lovely experiences. The menu features a wide variety of options to meet the desires of carnivores to vegans, and everyone in between. Quality of food is of great importance to Downtown Grille and it is represented in the pricing. An accommodating staff allows for a single meal to be delivered before all others if necessary, yet during the romantic dinner they are good about staying back and providing the couple space to enjoy one another's company without interruption. Overall, the entire staff works together to make sure your experience meets their high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the gem we were led to believe!HumoristDined on 8/19/2014Great experience...if you like being overcharged for mediocrity. We would have preferred to dine in the room with tables and linen (despite very little charm and overlarge) but the noisy atmosphere persuaded us to settle for a bare-top booth in the somewhat quieter bar area, where my wife's feet could reach neither the floor nor were comfortable on the foot rest. And the large televisions on every wall of all the rooms are more appropriate for a sports lounge, which was not where we thought we were going. The bread basket was late in arriving, the petite filets we ordered were an additional disappointment (not hot enough and neither particularly tasty nor tender) and the asparagus was too al dente. Only the sautéed spinach saved the meal.
- Great anniversary dinnerHappyDined on 8/18/2014We choose to dine at Downtown grille for occasions and anniversaries. We can count on great food and excellent service. Thanks, Bob & Laura PflugfelderSpecial Features:
- Outstanding eveningLouieDined on 8/17/2014This was our first visit to Downtown Grille and it was everything we hoped for! Wonderful surroundings, great service and outstanding food. We highly recommend Downtown Grille and we will definitely make return trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine eveningwillbebackDined on 8/8/2014Going back after about 7 years proved to be a great pleasure. The food was excellent and it is so nice to be served by someone who clearly enjoys her job and understands the meaning of the word service. My only grumble about the evening was the occasional quite loud rattle of utensils from the open kitchen at the rear. Otherwise, dining couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We often come to Downtown Grille for special occassions. I have to say, though, that this visit was not up to par. Our service was not good - slow, food came out at the wrong times, we repeatedly had to search for our server, etc. Everyone noticed and commented. The food was good, but there were no vegetables with the entrees - at that price, I would expect a vegetable.Special Features:
- nice spotlivetoeatDined on 8/2/2014Being a transplant from the north, I miss summer lobster rolls, so when I heard this restaurant had them, I wanted to go. The lobster rolls were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greattravelmamaDined on 8/1/2014Found the wonderful restaurant when visiting UVA. Always eat here when we are in town visiting our UVA student on holidays, and when moving in/out of dorm. Scallops are the best I have ever had- anywhere. Only wish that they had sweet tea.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience30milesawayDined on 7/29/2014We live 30 miles from Down Town Grill, so we only dine on special occasions. On our recent visit we had great cocktails from bar, oysters on half shell for appetizer, crab cakes and grouper for entrees. Everything we had was wonderful and our Server, Jason, gave excellent service. We always have a wonderful dining experience at Downtown Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekNegsDined on 7/25/2014We are new to the area and enjoyed trying different restaurants during restaurant week. We really enjoyed Downtowne Grill and their steaks were really good and big portions.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekruanshDined on 7/20/2014Although we have always had great experiences at Downtown Grille, last years summer restaurant week experience was not up to par. We were delighted to have a great selection and well prepared steaks as we took advantage this year of the restaurant week menu. Service is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great specialtiesDonnaLDined on 7/20/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated really well. The wait staff took extremely good care of us, gave helpful and accurate recommendations (we took a couple of them), and made our evening out the best it could be. I highly recommend the scallops and key lime pie (authentic).Special Features:
- Special occasionMcPhilipsDined on 7/19/2014I chose Downtown Grille to celebrate my 60th birthday. We took advantage of the fixed-price menu offered during restaurant week and my steak was delicious. So were the mashed potatoes. My wife also enjoyed her meal, I think she had salmon. The creme brulee was very tasty. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- good overallnabbDined on 6/27/2014good food. great service. over priced. The steak does not come with a side which is surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance and expertiseRiversReviewsDined on 6/25/2014This is THE place for beef and all the accouterments you want with beef. Our favorite is the spareribs, which redefine the savory, rich and satisfying qualities of superb meat. Just as vodka is the essence of potatoes, and scotch is the essence of roasted barley, so their spareribs are the essence of beef. Their oysters and crab cakes , too, are from a higher realm altogether.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2014Dinner was the best, we had dinner outside and the service was superb and dinner was excellent.Special Features:
- delicious mealAAfoodieDined on 6/22/2014visited Charlottesville to take daughter on tour of UVA and had dinner here the night before with a friend from Charlottesville. the food was very good...had wedge salad, caesar salads, scallops, the barramundi, and petite filet mignon special with crab and asparagus (the oscar) with baked potato. waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful, except we ended up waiting a half hour for the coconut brownie sundae (amazing and worth the wait!), because he forgot to check on the order and then the chef made a different dessert by mistake! Overall, a great meal at a lovely restaurant...would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining choice!ChuckDined on 6/21/2014We had been here once before a few years ago and the 2nd time was better than the first. The food quality, service, and wine list are first rate. If you are in the area, you should consider trying this restaurant - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Always a delightJRCCHODined on 6/21/2014We consistently have a fantastic dining experience at the Downtown Grille, and this dinner was no exception. One of our favorite "go to" restaurants in Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Does It Better Than This?ElvisDDined on 6/13/2014Another fine dining experience in a long line. We live 45 minutes outside of town. Charlottesville has some GREAT restaurants, and we do frequent them, but our go-to place is the Downtown Grille. This last time was for our 29th wedding anniversary. The people who run this place know exactly what they're doing. You want a cocktail? Mixed perfectly. You want a wedge salad with Roquefort? Crisp, fresh ingredients with a perfect dressing. You want a steak? Umm. That's my favorite. Because it is always cooked to perfection. Every plate they walk out looks like it came off the cover of a magazine. Impeccable staff. Clean and smart looking décor with enough ambiance to make it cozy. Excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LynnDined on 5/31/2014Pretty standard steakhouse fare, but the ribeye was perfectly seasoned and wonderfully tender. My husband's filet also was just right. Portions are large so don't over-order on salads and sides. We really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back to goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Only problem was service. Took too long to realize we were there. This had not happened before in our many visits so I don't think it is reocuring problem. Food was its normal very good but you pay for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingTravelDinerVIPDined on 5/25/2014Having lived in the area for most of my life this restaurant's reputation has been one of high regard which makes me wonder who on earth made this assessment. Travelling for a living affords me the opportunity to experience fine dining establishments throughout the United States. In comparison to other fine dining establishments the food was mediocre, the service sub-optimal and the worst possible value for the dollar. Food sent back to a kitchen should not come back with instructions from the cook that the steaks temperature was correct and that only the middle of the steak would be the 'ordered' temperature. The hollandaise tasted more like mayonnaise lacking any acid or flavor and the remainder of the meal a 'snooze'.Special Features:
- Fantastic MealDaveinCvilleDined on 5/20/2014The service was great, and the food was great. It's on the expensive side, but is nice for a special occassion.Special Features:
- A nice Sunday DinnerbubbaDined on 5/11/2014We had dinner for a party of four. Original table was tight with one of our chairs hitting a chair of table behind us. Staff moved us with not problem to new table. Food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superbmsgwahooDined on 5/10/2014The service and the food at the Downtown Grille is always above and beyond excellent. Whether it is just for dinner or a special occasion you can't beat how wonderful you will feel when you leave. From the moment you walk in you are treated special. Our waiter Matt was the best. I will continue to go there for any occasion. Thanks again for a great timeSpecial Features:
- BruceDined on 5/9/2014Wine list was so so could be better. All else was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spring al fresco diningFitFoodieDined on 5/7/2014My son and I were in Charlottesville on our way home from his first year of college. We came here on the recommendation of a UVA alum, and were not disappointed! Asking for a table outside on a lovely spring night, we were quickly seated outside. Our appetizer, fresh cured salmon was very good, although I would have preferred a little more acidity in the cure. My son had the Caesar salad, and I had the wedge salad with the balsamic vinaigrette. The vinaigrette was delicious, one of the best I've had in quite a while. My seared scallops for my entree were spot on as well, and my son's steak was done as requested. The portions were generous, so we had no room for dessert. Although pricey, it was definitely worth the money.Special Features:
- The following 464 reviews are from the Downtown Grille reviews archive.
- Great time with FriendsCourtDined on 5/7/2014If you are looking for a chop house in Ch-ville the Downtown Grille is the place. Menu is creative and the wine list very thought out. Steven was very knowledgeable and the pace of the meal was well done. The Seared Tuna is the best I have had in Charlottesville. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If My Hostess was my waitressLuvgoodfoodDined on 5/4/2014I was greated by Jessica. She was superb!! Everything was downhill after that. Our waitress was colder than the icewater! She never introduced herself, I had to ask her for her name. We were there for a conference and the Boarshead recommended that we make reservations and eat there!! WRONG!! The food was just as bad. My other colleagues had a table of 6 next to us and experienced the same service and bad food. 2 tables of 8 & 10 were inside & said the same. So it wasn't just our table or waitress. But on the exit Jessica was still there; the same pleasant & mannerable person that made me feel she was happy to serve us & thanked us for our service. If I lived closeby I would've asked for her resume!Special Features:
- Great experience for spec. occasionLouSDined on 5/3/2014We asked for a quiet table that facilitated conversation for a party of 4 -- and received it in spades. In fact, we were placed in a very stylish and very quiet room ... that exceeded our request and expectations. The same could be said of the food. Yes, it was pricey, but the food quality and outstanding service made for a memorable experience.Special Features:
- FantasticKellyBDined on 5/1/2014Downtown Grille is a great place to get steak and seafood. The sides are "family style" and definitely large enough to share. Plan to spend about $50-$75/person if you get a drink and appetizer.Special Features:
- Predictably GoodNotCookingTonightDined on 4/29/2014When we want a good steak in Charlottesville, this is where we come. This particular night the restaurant was noisier than usual due to a number of large groups; this also impacted our speed of service a bit - usually 5 stars. A recent redecoration gives a lighter, more welcoming feel. The lobster was enormous. My crab cake was large and 98% lump crab. My husband's 12 oz filet was a little charred for my taste but he liked it. Always good!Special Features:
- Great FishpalsDined on 4/26/2014We had crabcakes, barramundi (sp?), & mahi mahi. All were cooked superbly -- light and really delicious. We'll go back on special occasions as Downtown Grille is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great meal.catcbDined on 4/26/2014One of our party of 8 ordered the aged T-bone steak, which was very expensive. It was cooked perfectly, but the quality was not what he expected. The other steak, the sides and the appetizers were all delicious. The service for 6 adults and 2 children was great. We appreciated being seated in a room away from other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014We always think of you for a special occasion; birthdays, anniversary, Valentine's Day or if we have special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!421506Dined on 4/21/2014Me and my fiance' went here for our one year anniversary,Our steaks were cooked perfectly,and the sides were delicious and also very big so we only needed 2! Our A1 steak sauce was served to us in a gravy boat, our waiter Noah was amazing! He was very friendly and made sure we were taken care of. After dinner my fiance proposed, we ordered desert and it was on the house! Overall the best place I have ever eaten! will be going there now for every anniversary,maybe even once a month! food is pricey but WELL worth every penny! the hagandaz ice cream was delicious almost like a gelato! And the creme brulee was so smooth and so delicious! I recomend this restaruant for any special occasion or even for a last minuite date night?night out dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar too highEatoutDined on 4/20/2014Nice ambience, service good. Food quality a let down for the prices charged. Good steak, expected great, salmon over cooked. Presentation lacking. Portions adequate.Special Features: