201 West Main Street
Charlottesville, VA 22902Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.downtowngrille.com/
- Phone: 4348177080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sam Rochester
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Banquet room is a private dining room that can seat up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Sawrey, Michael Yuhasz 4348177080
A word from Downtown Grille
Step into the bar for a specialty cocktail and enjoy steak or seafood in our dining room. Fresh Mid-western corn-fed beef, seafood and extensive wine list honored by The Wine Spectator "Award of Excellence." Exquisite dining, superb ambiance, and professional staff. Smoke-free.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Downtown Grille - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Downtown Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)fit for foodies (34)notable wine list (32)good for groups (27)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Birthday dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We were visiting from out of town and decided to dine at the Downtown Grille based on the reviews. It was amazing and our server was fantastic. I chose the special catch of the day which was grouper and it was really good. My husband got the 8 oz filet. It was the best steak we have had in VA. It was cooked perfectly and was such a generous portion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakJMVenhausVIPDined on 10/11/2014It has all of the things you expect in a traditional steak house (great meat, wine selection, service, and bar) except for the atmosphere. Traditional steakhouses are darker, quieter and more stately than this bustling, energetic (read loud) restaurant. Not the place for quiet conversation or business dinners, but a great steak.
- Reliably ConsistentcvilleboundDined on 10/11/2014The best high end dining establishment in Charlottesville. Always good food, good service and welcoming management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent experiencemsgwahooDined on 10/8/2014We had another great experience at the Downtown Grille again. Noah was our waiter and he was fantastic. He was friendly and very helpful with information. The food was as good as it always is and was cooked to perfection. I truely love going here when I can.Special Features:
- rjfirestoneTexasgirlDined on 9/27/2014Anytime we are in Charlottesville, we try and eat at the Downtown Grill. Food, service and drinks are always great!Special Features:
- c ville findlovetodineoutDined on 9/26/2014Awesome location and food when you need to get "off" the corner. Great menu and options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A UVA student's special dinner out!MadtopDined on 9/26/2014Great place for parents to bring their UVA student and friends. They will enjoy the atmosphere and delicious selection of entrees. Quiet enough to visit but nice views of the mall. Our waiter guided us well for sharing the side orders and appetizers.Special Features:
- A good steak houseJagmanDined on 9/25/2014Enjoyed a special celebration here. Steaks were prepared exactly as ordered and were nice cuts. The waiter offered good suggestions and was there when needed. Prices are on the high end but it is worth it for special occasions. Wine list is well thought out.Special Features:
- Not So Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The Downtown Grille isn't a bad place to eat if you're looking for a decent steak at an outrageous price. I started with the potato leek soup, which was very good. For my main course, I had the 8 oz filet, which came with absolutely nothing. If you're going to serve an 8 oz steak that comes with no sides or sauce priced at $38, it better be damn near perfect. I ordered my steak medium, and it was far from melt in your mouth or even flavorful. Honestly, it was an average filet that I could have made myself at home. For dessert, I had the creme brulee, which was delicious. So if you're looking for a phenomenal steak, try someplace like Mon Ami Gabi, and if you're looking for good desserts and appetizers, I'd recommend the Downtown Grille.Special Features:
- Repeat Customersdbhattal70Dined on 9/19/2014we've just moved to C'Ville this year. this is our fourth time at Downtown Grille. The steak has been excellent everytime we have eaten there, as well as the chicken which some in our party choose to order. The sides are not the best we have ever had, but some of the appetizers, (cheese plate) are very good. The wine list is excellent. If I have a gripe, its that we have been there 4 times in the past 7 months, and no one seems to remember us. We are from Toronto Canada, and we knew the staff at our favorite steak house there, and we went less often. But that is such a minor gripe. I have to stress that we will be going back to enjoy there meals.Special Features:
- Quality without compromise.DiningOutDined on 9/17/2014The Dowwntown Grille is an understated yet elegant dining experience. Casual yet refined with excellent food & service. Fit for any occasion from large gatherings to special intimate dinners. Simply superb!Special Features:
- favorite steak placeAnneVIPDined on 9/16/2014Each time we visit Charlottesville, Downtown Grille is one of the places that we visit each time. The food is always delicious and the service is perfect.Special Features:
- Fantastic Anniversary!delishDined on 9/7/2014Our experience at Downtown Grille was fantastic! My husband and I went to dinner for our anniversary; we had made reservations ahead of time. When we got there, we chose to sit outside because it was an unbelievable September night, and since this downtown area is so beautiful, it's nice to be able to enjoy it and people watch. Our server was very nice; at the end of the meal, she had found out it was our anniversary so she brought us a complimentary mango sorbet with a candle in it. Very sweet! Our food was excellent; my husband said his filet mignon was one of the best he has ever had. I had the crab cakes and they were also DELICIOUS. Everything was excellent, and we will definitely come back in the future.Special Features:
- JeepersDined on 9/6/2014Crab cakes not as good as before rennovations. Ribeye thinner cut than we enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wxyzVIPDined on 8/29/2014Our server, Linda, was very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbieDined on 8/21/2014Food was outstanding, alittle pricey, sides should come with this price tag of an entree, this place has the best filet mignon, it actually beats Ruth Crisp and Peter Lugers in NYC. Thank you, We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful for multiple occassionsSLSlovesfoodDined on 8/20/2014I have eaten at Downtown Grille for both a larger special occasion and for a romantic dinner for two. Both were lovely experiences. The menu features a wide variety of options to meet the desires of carnivores to vegans, and everyone in between. Quality of food is of great importance to Downtown Grille and it is represented in the pricing. An accommodating staff allows for a single meal to be delivered before all others if necessary, yet during the romantic dinner they are good about staying back and providing the couple space to enjoy one another's company without interruption. Overall, the entire staff works together to make sure your experience meets their high standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the gem we were led to believe!HumoristDined on 8/19/2014Great experience...if you like being overcharged for mediocrity. We would have preferred to dine in the room with tables and linen (despite very little charm and overlarge) but the noisy atmosphere persuaded us to settle for a bare-top booth in the somewhat quieter bar area, where my wife's feet could reach neither the floor nor were comfortable on the foot rest. And the large televisions on every wall of all the rooms are more appropriate for a sports lounge, which was not where we thought we were going. The bread basket was late in arriving, the petite filets we ordered were an additional disappointment (not hot enough and neither particularly tasty nor tender) and the asparagus was too al dente. Only the sautéed spinach saved the meal.
- Great anniversary dinnerHappyDined on 8/18/2014We choose to dine at Downtown grille for occasions and anniversaries. We can count on great food and excellent service. Thanks, Bob & Laura PflugfelderSpecial Features:
- Outstanding eveningLouieDined on 8/17/2014This was our first visit to Downtown Grille and it was everything we hoped for! Wonderful surroundings, great service and outstanding food. We highly recommend Downtown Grille and we will definitely make return trips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Steak HouseTobycatVIPDined on 8/15/2014The Downtown Grill is a very solid steakhouse that gets elevated for the way they catered to my wife, a vegetarian. Not only did they have a vegetarian special but also had suggestions throughout the menu that would add depth to the meal. My steak and mashed potatoes were excellent as we're both salads we had. The service was outstanding. Worth another trip. Oh wait. We went back the next night and again had a thoroughly enjoyable meal ... again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine eveningwillbebackDined on 8/8/2014Going back after about 7 years proved to be a great pleasure. The food was excellent and it is so nice to be served by someone who clearly enjoys her job and understands the meaning of the word service. My only grumble about the evening was the occasional quite loud rattle of utensils from the open kitchen at the rear. Otherwise, dining couldn't have been better.Special Features:
- Disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014We often come to Downtown Grille for special occassions. I have to say, though, that this visit was not up to par. Our service was not good - slow, food came out at the wrong times, we repeatedly had to search for our server, etc. Everyone noticed and commented. The food was good, but there were no vegetables with the entrees - at that price, I would expect a vegetable.Special Features:
- nice spotlivetoeatDined on 8/2/2014Being a transplant from the north, I miss summer lobster rolls, so when I heard this restaurant had them, I wanted to go. The lobster rolls were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greattravelmamaDined on 8/1/2014Found the wonderful restaurant when visiting UVA. Always eat here when we are in town visiting our UVA student on holidays, and when moving in/out of dorm. Scallops are the best I have ever had- anywhere. Only wish that they had sweet tea.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience30milesawayDined on 7/29/2014We live 30 miles from Down Town Grill, so we only dine on special occasions. On our recent visit we had great cocktails from bar, oysters on half shell for appetizer, crab cakes and grouper for entrees. Everything we had was wonderful and our Server, Jason, gave excellent service. We always have a wonderful dining experience at Downtown Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekNegsDined on 7/25/2014We are new to the area and enjoyed trying different restaurants during restaurant week. We really enjoyed Downtowne Grill and their steaks were really good and big portions.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekruanshDined on 7/20/2014Although we have always had great experiences at Downtown Grille, last years summer restaurant week experience was not up to par. We were delighted to have a great selection and well prepared steaks as we took advantage this year of the restaurant week menu. Service is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great specialtiesDonnaLDined on 7/20/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated really well. The wait staff took extremely good care of us, gave helpful and accurate recommendations (we took a couple of them), and made our evening out the best it could be. I highly recommend the scallops and key lime pie (authentic).Special Features:
- Special occasionMcPhilipsDined on 7/19/2014I chose Downtown Grille to celebrate my 60th birthday. We took advantage of the fixed-price menu offered during restaurant week and my steak was delicious. So were the mashed potatoes. My wife also enjoyed her meal, I think she had salmon. The creme brulee was very tasty. Our server was very attentive.Special Features:
- good overallnabbDined on 6/27/2014good food. great service. over priced. The steak does not come with a side which is surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegance and expertiseRiversReviewsDined on 6/25/2014This is THE place for beef and all the accouterments you want with beef. Our favorite is the spareribs, which redefine the savory, rich and satisfying qualities of superb meat. Just as vodka is the essence of potatoes, and scotch is the essence of roasted barley, so their spareribs are the essence of beef. Their oysters and crab cakes , too, are from a higher realm altogether.Special Features:
- The following 477 reviews are from the Downtown Grille reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2014Dinner was the best, we had dinner outside and the service was superb and dinner was excellent.Special Features:
- delicious mealAAfoodieDined on 6/22/2014visited Charlottesville to take daughter on tour of UVA and had dinner here the night before with a friend from Charlottesville. the food was very good...had wedge salad, caesar salads, scallops, the barramundi, and petite filet mignon special with crab and asparagus (the oscar) with baked potato. waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful, except we ended up waiting a half hour for the coconut brownie sundae (amazing and worth the wait!), because he forgot to check on the order and then the chef made a different dessert by mistake! Overall, a great meal at a lovely restaurant...would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining choice!ChuckDined on 6/21/2014We had been here once before a few years ago and the 2nd time was better than the first. The food quality, service, and wine list are first rate. If you are in the area, you should consider trying this restaurant - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Always a delightJRCCHODined on 6/21/2014We consistently have a fantastic dining experience at the Downtown Grille, and this dinner was no exception. One of our favorite "go to" restaurants in Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Does It Better Than This?ElvisDDined on 6/13/2014Another fine dining experience in a long line. We live 45 minutes outside of town. Charlottesville has some GREAT restaurants, and we do frequent them, but our go-to place is the Downtown Grille. This last time was for our 29th wedding anniversary. The people who run this place know exactly what they're doing. You want a cocktail? Mixed perfectly. You want a wedge salad with Roquefort? Crisp, fresh ingredients with a perfect dressing. You want a steak? Umm. That's my favorite. Because it is always cooked to perfection. Every plate they walk out looks like it came off the cover of a magazine. Impeccable staff. Clean and smart looking décor with enough ambiance to make it cozy. Excellent as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LynnDined on 5/31/2014Pretty standard steakhouse fare, but the ribeye was perfectly seasoned and wonderfully tender. My husband's filet also was just right. Portions are large so don't over-order on salads and sides. We really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back to goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Only problem was service. Took too long to realize we were there. This had not happened before in our many visits so I don't think it is reocuring problem. Food was its normal very good but you pay for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingTravelDinerVIPDined on 5/25/2014Having lived in the area for most of my life this restaurant's reputation has been one of high regard which makes me wonder who on earth made this assessment. Travelling for a living affords me the opportunity to experience fine dining establishments throughout the United States. In comparison to other fine dining establishments the food was mediocre, the service sub-optimal and the worst possible value for the dollar. Food sent back to a kitchen should not come back with instructions from the cook that the steaks temperature was correct and that only the middle of the steak would be the 'ordered' temperature. The hollandaise tasted more like mayonnaise lacking any acid or flavor and the remainder of the meal a 'snooze'.Special Features: