Downtown Grill - Macon
562 Mulberry Street Lane
Macon, GA 31201Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Downtown Grill - Macon
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.macondowntowngrill.com/
- Phone: 4787425999
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private upstairs dining room that will accommodate up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Richie Jones 4787425999
A word from Downtown Grill - Macon
The Downtown Grill - Macon is an English Steakhouse that specializes in prime cut Black Angus steaks, fresh pasta dishes, fish fillets and decadent desserts. This fine dining restaurant also features a well stocked bar that includes a vast array of scotches and bourbons. We also offer an extensive wine list by the glass or by the bottle and a large oak cigar humidor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Downtown Grill - Macon - Best Restaurants in Macon ›
Downtown Grill - Macon reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- GinaDined on 10/8/2014Very good food! I think more lighting would be helpful and maybe update the decor a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BamaBarbDined on 9/12/2014Relaxed atmosphere with delicious food. Servers are well versed in menu.Special Features:
- Very Impressed...AngelaKFDined on 9/12/2014This was our first time dining at the Downtown Grill. It was a special occasion, my boyfriend's birthday, so we thought we would try it. We were not disappointed at all and will definitely return. The restaurant is very cozy and romantic. It's refreshing to have the adults only atmosphere. The food and service were amazing. We were both already thinking about what we might have next time, but there may be specials, so we can't rule those out. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningPatBDined on 9/6/2014This is our go-to place for special events. We celebrated my wife's birthday here earlier this year, and did the same for my birthday tonight. Great place for a special dinner, and the food and service never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColdASR1020910Dined on 8/29/2014I live in Macon and I have eaten at Downtown Grill since it first opened. It has always been a great restaurant to eat at. I turned 40 on August 29 and decided to eat here for my birthday and invite 9 other people. All of our food was served cold. I was very disappointed that this happened. I had asked my friends to celebrate with me and they agreed to. I feel really bad for my friends and family that had to pay high dollar (which they agreed to) for cold food.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014I would not Return. The service is poor. The food is very average. The meat was ill prepared. The serving sizes were not appropriate. Very disappointed. I will never return.
- Birthday Dinner (couple)tb4uDined on 8/9/2014Ahi Tuna appetizer excellent. Steaks to perfection. Blackened Scallops incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janddDined on 7/28/2014Excellent dinner crab cake appetizer was out of this world. Wish the crab cakes were an entree. Had the blue cheese stuffed filet and it was excellent. Peach cobbler dessert was homemade andserved warm with ice creamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Food and service very good. Restrooms are in desperate need of updating/cleaning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding eveningDateNightDined on 7/12/2014This was date night for me and the hubby. Wonderful experience. Aaron was our waiter. He was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Downtown Grill is always good - nice varied menu; excellent steaks; interesting and tasty appetizers and the Creme Brulee was to die for. Great lamb chops!Special Features:
- Down Town Grill Good Value!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Down Town Grill has been a long time favorite in Macon, featuring a good bar, solid wine list, excellence grill menu, thoughtful service, and nice setting. Excellent cuts of beef featuring signature prep... all make for an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularSpecialDineDined on 6/28/2014A nice quiet evening dinner with friends. Our waitress was on point and exceptionally took care of our every need. The food presentation, quantity and taste was excellent.Special Features:
- GreatnmauldinDined on 6/24/2014My wife and I just came here for our second time, and the food was still excellent, as was the service.Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the Downtown Grill - Macon reviews archive.
- Excellent Buisness Dinnersalmon52Dined on 6/5/2014After a long day of training for our jobs, two of the trainers had dinner at the Downtown Grill. It was absolutely wonderful: atmosphere, food, wine and service. I would highly recommend to others and definitely plan to enjoy this dining experience again. Thank you very much...
- Birthday CelebrationHvilledudeDined on 5/5/2014Excellent server and great food. Server was very helpful and knowledgeable about the prep and taste of the foods. She convinced me to try Ostrich and it was awesome. Great dinner from the cheese plate appetizer to the creme brulee and coffee. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a perfect eveningTReatsDined on 5/3/2014This is by far and away my favorite spot in Macon. The ambiance has an upscale pub feel and it is always quiet enough to hear each other speak but never a ghostly silence. The menu is solid with everything you could want and the wine & beer list is always changing! Priced reasonably and very seldom disappointing. They also have a private room in the back that is unbelievable and can't be beat for 10-16 ppl. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great early dinnerRDBDDSDined on 5/3/2014Wonderful service and excellent meals. XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place ever!kdo23Dined on 4/24/2014I love Downtown Grill! The filet is always cooked perfectly. The side choices are great. The suggested wines are 98% if the time are just what I want. The servers are very knowledgeable and friendly. I also got a free dessert for my birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect before playBethDined on 4/19/2014we very much enjoyed our meal at Downtown Grill. We had tickets to the theater and had plenty of time. The seared tuna appetizer was the best!Special Features:
- Yankees moves southJabbatheHutDined on 3/28/2014Once you finally find this tucked away gem, it was a great experienece as our intro into the area. The food was outstanding, especially the appitizer specials. The bar slections of beers and wines was outstanding for a restraunt. We will be returning and recommending to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedNotimpressedDined on 3/22/2014Overall fair experience at best. Lounge area at front entry allows cigarette/cigar smoking and everyone must walk through the stench. Decor is outdated, floors were sticky and stained like they had not been cleaned in some time. Overall the place looked, felt and smelled dirty. Suspect that's why they keep the lighting so dim. Waiter was polite but slow. He rambled off a list of "specials" so long I could not keep them straight in my head. Printed "specials" menu would have helped. Food selection and quality was good. Have been here before but not in years. Based on this experience, doubtful that I would go back.
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Downtown grill is a fabulous restaurant and I definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed feelingsmacondinerDined on 3/12/2014I was recommended to Downtown Grill by a friend because of its food. When I first arrived with my group, we had to walk down a narrow aisle through the bar which was filled with cigar smokers. There was no other way to get to the dining section. For me, an asthma sufferer, it would have been the last time I would even consider attending this restaurant. But I do have to say that the food is outstanding. Most of our group ordered the scallops and fetticini. The scallops were the best that I have ever tasted. If you can get past the cigar cloud that hangs in the bar, you will enjoy the ambience and food in the dining section. I would consider eating there again, but will have to wear a breathing mask!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the AmbienceMomofGroomDined on 2/15/2014Repeat customers...we love the building and the ambience, and always a good selection on menu.Special Features:
- The food was good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014The food was good as always but the service was not up to par. Hopefully this can be attributed to a new waitress as opposed to lack of management, training and oversight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always IncredibleFavoriteRestaurantDined on 1/24/2014Absolutely my favorite restaurant. Don't waste your money on chains....Downtown Grill is far better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Grill GemHersmile5558Dined on 1/21/2014This wonderful gem is hidden in an alley off the main streets of downtown Macon. Service is always impeccable., food is out of this world delicious. Staff is awesome, attentive without being obtrusive. Excellent romantic spot, great mood setting. I always love to be taken here.Special Features:
- Our dining experience wasDinewithmeDined on 1/4/2014Our dining experience was great. My wife and I were celebrating our 29th Wedding Anniversery and I couldn't have picked a better restaurant. My steak was cooked the way I liked it and my wife was well pleased with her pasta dish....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceBirthdayDateDined on 12/26/2013This location was giving to me be a friend. I took my wife here for a birthday dinner and we loved the experience. Outstanding and knowledgeable staff. Food was wonderfully tasting and the presentation of the food was phenominal,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Food and atmosphere.EjCochranGaDined on 12/21/2013Spectacular Food and atmosphere. Little pricy but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GemRoyRDined on 12/5/2013A must try!!! Great restaurant, food, ambience, staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, butGinaDined on 12/3/2013Great food and service, but the prices have become way too high for us.Special Features:
- The waitress was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013The waitress was wonderful , the bread was hot soft and great . We had a very good appetizer however the steaks were very dry hard hard to chew. There was a slug crawling in the seat where we sitting the waitress tried to pull it off the seat but couldn't (very gross). The waitress look for the manger and could not fine him or her, not good. we did not like that. Over all we spent over 100.00 but it was not worth it.
- This close to perfectFood4LifeDined on 11/14/2013Although there were problems with the food (out of ordered entree, substitute over cooked), the service given by Jason and Becca was excellent. We enjoyed having cigars in the bar afterward, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceRoyRDined on 10/30/2013Great food, atmosphere and service. A must eat for anyone. Romantic and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bkthdayCHPAGEDined on 10/18/2013I took my girlfriend and my brother and his wife here to eat. Our waitress was very good but our food was good once we found something that was not out on the menu. Came back three times to change order because of not having something. Even the fourth top they was out of A1 sauce. No discount for the wait or lengthy wait to get food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great servicedaenetDined on 10/14/2013This is one of the gems of Macon, fine dining at its best. They have an extensive special menu with many nice touches. The service is consistently excellent. For our most recent trip, we had a reservation for 9pm for out-of-town guests. The called to say the kitchen closes then but they'd hold it for us. We ended up being considerably later and they held the kitchen open and still provided great service, not rushing us at all. They definitely went above-and-beyond, and the food was amazing as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinertmmcentyreDined on 10/3/2013Our server neglected us a couple of times, i.e. tea refills, condiments. He blamed other orders coming out of the kitchen distracting him. We had to send our steak back to get it cooked properly.Special Features:
- Fun night out with friendsMuffinhedsDined on 9/11/2013My husband and I met another couple there to take advantage of "Wine Wednesday" and the 1/2 price bottles of wine. The food was really tasty, our server was friendly and knowledgeable and we had a great time. It's a little pricey so it's not someplace we'll go every week or even month, but a great choice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.