526 South Front Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.downeysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (215) 625-9500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Irish
- Executive Chef: Domenico Centofanti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Naudian & South
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is two-hour , on street parking adjacent to the Restaurant, either metered north of South Street or unmetered south of South Street. There is off-street parking two blocks from the Restaurant at the Park of America Indoor Parking Garages located at 2nd and Lombard Streets. Both garages are directly across from each other. The price to park is $3.00 Sun. through Fri. and $10.00 on Sat. with a voucher obtained from your server; This is not valid on Holidays or for overnight parking.
A word from Downey's
Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Downey's reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was excellent. TheirBekahDined on 12/31/2011The food was excellent. Their brick oven pizzas were amazing and the rack of lamb was delicious. The service, however, was not that great as we sat for over 45 minutes after we finished to wait for our check and the waiter never asked us how our food was. It was a busy night (New Year's Eve) and so I am willing to give it another chance sometime as the food was so good.Special Features:
- Appetizers were good and allPhillyfoodieDined on 12/31/2011Appetizers were good and all arrived at the same time, meal went down hill from there. Two entrees arrived at the same time, next entree wasn't what was ordered, then pizzas finally arrived cold and not thoroughly cooked. Waitress ordered second drink for one of us even though we didn't order it. Bill wasn't itemized so could not tell what we were charged. Was an expensive disaster won't return.
- We always enjoy going to Downey'sMoreDined on 12/25/2011We always enjoy going to Downey's and will continue to do so.Special Features:
- Went there for Christmas dinnerFoodLoverDined on 12/25/2011Went there for Christmas dinner and our guests enjoyed having lobster as their special meal rather than the typical prime rib. I remained the traditional one and ordered beef, which was done perfectly. This was perfect for us, as we wanted to have a relaxing and unconventional family dinner after all of the madness of the holiday season. I was glad that Downey's was open on Christmas day. This may become a new tradition.Special Features:
- shabbybutplentifulKarenColeenVIPDined on 12/24/2011Downeys used to be a festive beautiful gleaming neighborhood Irish gem...it's now more than a bit shabby, loud and more like an extended bar with TVs everywhere. Folks were friendly and the food bountiful - a great value but not the atmosphere I was looking for for the holidays. Bring back the old Downeys!
- Went on a Saturday night.FatguyluvsfoodDined on 12/17/2011Went on a Saturday night. Wasnt really busy. The waitress was nice but had a terrible memory. The food was good and had large portion sizes. Overall good experience but its not a must go. Dated dacor. First Irish place I have been too that had a pizza oven. Saw this place on TV on a makeover show.Special Features:
- Downey's has the potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/8/2011Downey's has the potential to be a good restaurant. I ordered their French Onion soup, Coconut Shrimp and seafood fra diavolo pasta. The onion soup was very good though it might have been better served in a smaller portion; mine came in a small cauldron which I imagine some hag cackling over as she stirred the newt's eye in. The coconut shrimp was also a strong performer: crispy and large enough that the shrimp pieces did not blend into the coconut crusting. Unfortunately the pasta, while well-cooked (al dente) and served in a tasty sauce, was compromised by rather egregiously overcooked shrimp and scallops. They were approaching the consistency of tyre rubber, which was a pity because they were quite fresh. The mussels were unimpaired.Special Features:
- Excellent lobster special,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2011Excellent lobster special, very good and a big bargain.Special Features:
- My family has loved goingHeatherEDined on 7/17/2011My family has loved going to Downey's for many years now and I would recommend it to anyone! The food was excellent, especially the vegetables. The service was professional and friendly. The crowd appeared to be regulars there.Special Features:
- Never again!SimpleDinerDined on 7/13/2011I was shock at the experience. I asked for a water front restaurant view and was given a busy street view. The waiter was polite, but I had to wait a very long time in between his visits, even though the restaurant was not very busy. I was sent a very burnt calzone, which of course I returned. Even the waiter said he brought it over just in case I was willing to eat it…well I was NOT! The worst part was that the website said they had a voucher of $4 for parking and at least three employees did not know what I was referring to and when someone did, the voucher apparently was no longer accepted in the parking garage and I had to pay $20 when it was free street parking on Wednesday! Never again!
- Sunny Saturday on SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/30/2011Excellent ambience at historic Downeys. Matched by the fabulous food. Crabcake was real crab, piping hot right out of the oven. Delicious Downey Salad and soup trio made for a filling meal.Special Features:
- Was better in the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2011Normally I would rate Downeys as a 5 star place but this time although they still had their Sunday Lobster deal sign on display they didn't have any lobsters. As it was pouring rain that day we couldn't walk to another place. The food was OK but not what I've become accustomed to.Special Features:
- Nice!!! :)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2011Myself and 4 others went to Downeys for dinner during Restaurant Week. To our suprise We were very satisfied with our choice. The food and service was great. The only down side to Downey's is the restaurant is a little to dim for my liking. Overall it was a really good experience.Special Features:
- I love the relaxed feel ofOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2011I love the relaxed feel of this place - dark, small and cozy – The service was excellent, and the food was delicious. My favorite dish was the mediterranean salad. I will most definitely recommend Downey's to my friends the next time restaurant week takes place.Special Features:
- I went to Downey's duringOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2011I went to Downey's during Center City Restaurant Week. The food was terrific, from the 1st to 5th course. Our server made the night feel very special.Special Features:
- The amount of food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2011The amount of food was good for the deal we restaurant week provided (5 courses - soup, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert - for $35) but i wouldn't go there again. I would have rather gone to a fancier place.
- Very Good Food! Will Go Again.PhillyFoodie1Dined on 1/20/2011Went to Downey's for Restaurant Week, the food was great! We had a 5 course meal for $35.00 and every course was delicious. The only thing I didn't like was the cheesecake, but everyone else I was with loved thier desserts, especially the strawberry shortcake. The steaks were awesome and so were the crabcakes. I am going back to try the brick oven pizza.Special Features:
- my friend and I LOVE thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2011my friend and I LOVE this place!! The menu is full of stuff we love, the food is excellent and what a deal for Restaurant Week, we had all seafood...5 courses for $35, you can't beat it!!!!Special Features:
- We LOVE Downeys! Bottom line...YouOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/16/2011We LOVE Downeys! Bottom line...You CANNOT go wrong here. A well run establishment with a wonderful atmosphere and warm top notch servers and staff. Menu prices are reasonable, portions generous and food OUTSTANDING. Great meeting place for friends, families, couples.Special Features:
- There was only l kind of WhiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2011There was only l kind of White Zinfandel wine and it was terrible. I had never heard of it. Asked for a margarita with no salt; the waitress said she told the bartender no salt but he put it on anyway and left the salty margarita on the table. It also seemed to be alcohol free. My husband got the wrong meal and the waitress said if you really want the surf n turf I will get it for you. He said he did and when it came the steak was mediocre at best and the lobster was completely tasteless.
- Went there on New Year's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/1/2011Went there on New Year's Day at 6 p.m. Place was rather empty but for the bar. The potato soup was wonderful as was their bread. However, the entree of Shepherd's Pie was very salty. I ordered Filet Mignon, and it was at best a cheap cut of Sirloin. It was chewy and overdone. Their fresh veggies were good, but terribly salty. Brandy Alexander was weak. I purchased their Whiskey Cake to take home. It was more than sub par. Where was the whiskey flavor???????
- We loved everything aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2010We loved everything about Downeys. The atmosphere was festive and the service excellent. Despite the crowds (it was New Year's Eve), we received copious amounts of fresh, great food quickly from a very friendly waiter. It was our first time there, but we'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- nice to have restaurant openOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2010nice to have restaurant open 365 days/year during the holidays. the portions are large and food was fresh. the restuarant itself could be better kept up. (booth we sat at had torn cushioni and wobbly back) would recommend this for anyone in philly who has limted options on where to go.
- Good food and nice service.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/25/2010Good food and nice service. You get alot of food for the money. Even the kids portions were big.Special Features:
- Huge portions and the manyEHCPHDVIPDined on 11/14/2010Huge portions and the many fresh seafood options put Downey's on my list.
- I haven't been to Downey'sdinerDined on 11/8/2010I haven't been to Downey's in years. What a diappointment. The only thing that hasn't changed was the decor. The restaurant was empty except for my party and 2 other tables. Our waiter had only been there 3 weeks and didn't know the menu. He also wasn't smart enough to say let me find out for you when one of asked a question. My prime rib was chewy. The shrimp tempura had more vegetables then shrimp. The 2 that ordered the chicken pot pie and cornbeef in cabbage said it was good. Also, what happened to the Irish Soda Bread? White bread rolls come on. We won't be going there anytime soon.
- Excellent Brunch with goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2010Excellent Brunch with good selection at very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great place with good parking.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2010Great place with good parking. We made reservations for a Saturday night at 7:00 thinking the place would be packed, but it wasn't necessary. The bar area was packed, but there were plenty of tables. The staff was very friendly and our waitress was helpful and prompt. The food was top notch and portions were huge. Fish and Chips was unbeatable, but the Sheppard's Pie was also a favorite. I could only eat a third of my meal but I was more than happy to take the rest home to eat later. We will definitely be coming back again in the future.Special Features:
- Downey's is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2010Downey's is one of my favorite restaurant. I always recommend it to everyone. They have a great lobster bisque and the lobster ravoli is my favorite entree. I brought a group of friends for restaurant week. First, the service was HORRIBLE. NEVER HAVE I EXPERIENCED SUCH BAD SERVICE HERE. Second, the food was super salty. I ordered the salmon with the rice safron and veggies. Needless to say, the veggies were the least salt drowned side. The Mahattan bisque was also extremely salty and the salad was nothing like the usual Downey's salad that I usually order. The only other non salty part of my meal was the cheese cake. Downey's better get it together if they want to stay in business.Special Features:
- Downeys was horrible...WeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2010Downeys was horrible...We will never go back&this was not our first time there. My reservation was for 8:30pm, my party of 6 was @ the restaurant at 8:15pm, the hostess informed me that it would be 15/20 min wait before we would be seated & that was fine. No one was waiting, the restaurant was not crowded, there were empty tables in the back by the kitchen area. @ 8:50, I decided to ask again, I was told that it would be just a few more minutes.@ 9:15, now an hour later we went back inside, asked again about our seating--now that a lot of people had starting going in. The hostess now states, people are not getting up from the tables, we have a party of 15 waiting, they set the party of 15 before us,we were there 1st because of traffic.
- The food was good and plentiful,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2010The food was good and plentiful, however I was disappointed at the end. The complaint that I have is that the young waitress charged our party of 2 $13.50 for gratity on the bill. When the bill was paid, she shorted us on the change. I wonder if Downey's is aware of the type of individual they hired. I was not happy and will be contacting the Restaurant about this young lady. She must have felt that she would not get the tip she deserved.Special Features:
- This is a decent place. It'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2010This is a decent place. It's a bit crammed in there, so if you are claustraphobic, this is not the place for you. As for the food, if you want a good steak, this is a good place to go to. Seafood...not so much. As for their desserts, I have never had a good one there.
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2010The food was excellent and the portions were large! You get your money's worth and then some!Special Features:
- The food was great, good tableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2010The food was great, good table by the window. We had friends from out of town and we enjoyed the food and ambience. We will bring other friends here.Special Features:
- Downey's is a good place toAndy2VIPDined on 7/27/2010Downey's is a good place to go for drinks and pub fare, but don't go there if you are looking for fine dining. The servers although friendly, have the habit of leaving your dishes on the table well after the meal is over. Not just my table, but all of them.
- Food was excellent, wait stafffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2010Food was excellent, wait stafff very friendly. We will visit again.Special Features:
- I went to Downey's for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2010I went to Downey's for brunch with three friends, two of whom remembered with me what a nice place it was a few years ago. The atmosphere is now pub-like, over-casual (the young waitress was sweet but seemed completely untrained, and there was a search for a wine opener). Food was OK.
- Awful service, so much so,lgwclassVIPDined on 3/6/2010Awful service, so much so, we will not go back nor recommend it to anyone.
- We went with the impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/4/2010We went with the impression they had lunch specials as advertised. When we inquired about that the waitress said that you had no lunch specials. My paper's add stated you indeed had specials and I feel it was false advertising and poor service. This is what my paper offered: Downey's Lunch Special Mon-Fri 11AM-4PM $5.95 soup or salad sandwich and beverage
- I came here for ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2010I came here for Valentines day. Downeys served a wonderful 5 course fixed price meal. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly with ample table space, booths and a large bar area. It is very cozy/romantic with Irish decor, antique posters, irish shields etc. everywhere. It is definately family/kid friendly but is not a distraction to adults. The food was amazing, my favorates were the Irish potato soup and filet mignon you could have cut with a spoon it was so tender. Oh, and 5 courses were only $35 per person. I had a great time!Special Features: