103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123623800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - email@example.com 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
363 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (261)special occasion (233)romantic (169)neighborhood gem (152)notable wine list (121)great for lunch (65)great for brunch (35)good for groups (27)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- All around excellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Went on a Monday night and ordered from the prix fixe vegetarian menu - a tremendous value. Food was creative and very tasty. The sommelier was fantastic and made great suggestions for each of our dishes. This place earned its Michelin star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I dined here this past Sunday to celebrate my birthday and we had an amazing experience. Our captain, Heather, treated us so well that we felt like VIPs. We had the tasting menu and were blown away by the food and the hospitality. Service was unparalleled, from Maureen (our friendly and efficient front waiter) Heidi (our incomparable sommelier), Luigi (our runner with a vast knowledge of our dishes) and to Babu, who made sure our water glasses were always full with a smile. Our former coworker, Vinny, even popped out of the kitchen to say hello! Hands down the greatest dining experience to date. Bravo Dovetail, we will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely eveningvisitforworkDined on 10/18/2014Dovetail is lovely, and the food is fantastic. It was a perfect place to have an exceptional meal in a low-key, graceful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014A friend suggested Dovetail to me and I'm thrilled we went. The tasting menu was divine - everyone found something unique. The portions were filling, but not overwhelming. Definitely a great spot for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menusteamysingDined on 10/17/2014Food was amazing. The dishes just kept coming. The combos of flavors were quite uniqueSpecial Features:
- AmazingYummytummyDined on 10/16/2014Delicious food, attentive but unobtrusive service and a wonderful overall dining experience. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrennieDined on 10/12/2014Loved our meals and the staff could not have been more gracious nor accommodating. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great UWS place!BH53Dined on 10/12/2014The food is very tasty, and the overall experience is very polished and pleasant. The experience perhaps deserves the Michelin star, but it's not quite the best Michelin starred restaurant I've been to. Nonetheless, this is an excellent place if you're looking for a nice, moderately high-end dinner on the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- surpassed expectationsBettinaDined on 10/12/2014I had a great dinner. The steak tartar and the halibut were outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyflashVIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent and accommodating service, beautiful space (definitely suitable for a romantic dinner) and the food is very good. I had dinner there on Sunday for the "Sunday Suppa" and it was well worth the $58 prix fixe. I will say that though the food was perfectly prepared and the combinations were striking, the portions were a bit small. Otherwise, an exceptional dining experience.Special Features:
- Great and elegant.MangiaDined on 10/7/2014The place was fantastic. Service was great. Food was delicious. Well definitely go back for a special occasion. It's a bit more upscale than the Open Table description implies, and the Open Table price point is way too low, reflecting the price of an entree, not a whole meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceRoseDined on 10/6/2014Had to make a last minute reservation and use open tables recommended list. Very disappointed in the food but worse than the food was the service. Waited for 10 minutes after being seated before someone addressed us. Waited easily 45 minutes between courses. We were not the only people with long waits between courses. The group next to us was as disappointed as we were. Our dinner was not worth the wait. I complained about the service and the young lady smiled politely and said thank you. Will not return to this restaurant and cover pined that it was recommended by open table.
- Still a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Dovetail remains one of the best restaurants on the UWS. Love meatless Mondays and everything else. If you haven't eaten there already you need to go ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Dovetail on a saturday evening. The staff gave excellent service. The sommelier knew her stuff and offered excellent advice on a list I was not familiar with and the person taking our order was great. Most important, the food was excellent. Great food, great wine, great service. It had been a while since we have been so satisfied from a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Hidden GemranchopeckitoVIPDined on 10/2/2014I never realized that, just around the corner from 77th St & Columbus, such an incredible, hidden gem of a restaurant existed! Dovetail has it all...a gorgeous interior, attentive service and indescribably delicious food!!Special Features:
- Dovetail on my "okay" listAnneSDined on 10/1/2014There was a mildew smell walking in to the restaurant and that is a turnoff immediately. We ordered drinks that took forever to serve and the drinks came out in three different servings and two requests could not be filled as they were out of certain stock. The food was okay, not great for the price and my order - to hold the sauce on the side, but the server started dumping the sauce on my dish before I could tell him I'd requested it on the side to add for myself. Coffee, small treats were good and the service was better for the last part of the meal. I liked that the restaurant, which was full of diners was not loud and therefore I could hear my guests and engage in conversation.
- Fein DineFeinDineDined on 10/1/2014Dovetail is a quiet, elegant restaurant with inventive food and excellent service. The tomato with sunflower seeds starter was excellent. The chicken entree was perhaps too inventive. As with many restaurants, if there are several tables available and your hostess attempts to seat you by the kitchen -- ask for a different table.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/29/2014Went for a friends birthday. It was lovely, relaxing and yummy! Excellent service and all the food was great. They paid attention to details and made sure everyone got the right things to match their needs. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We came for dinner and expected something really michelined. Have to say the food was not so impressive for us. The restaurant deco was good and service is great.
- Book nowSeekthebestDined on 9/23/2014World class. Magnificent and thoughtful wine list. Exceptional dishes and presentation. Attentive, knowledgeable and personable professional service. Dovetail has been conceived of and operates as a top tier home of great food and wine for people who enjoy the best of the best without attitude in an intimate, near formal, but warm setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting combinationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014We really enjoyed the food, especially the interesting combinations of flavor and texture.Special Features:
- Could have been perfectLovetodineVIPDined on 9/20/2014Dovetail has some great options for vegetarians- among the best in the city. However, the service was really off when we went. I had to continually flag a waiter to get any attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemUWSmooseVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is one of those restaurants that flies below the radar but is really one of the top places in the city. The food (from amuse bouches - yes there are two - on) is reliably delicious, the service is attentive, the place itself is a quiet calm oasis. Cannot recommend it highly enough.Special Features:
- Great for vegetariansJhonnyTDined on 9/17/2014The vegetable tasting menu was excellent, very much on par with other Michelin-starred vegetarian menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memilyVIPDined on 9/17/2014The food is exquisitely presented with tastes and textures that surprise the palate. Service is warm and professional. Always a lovely evening.Special Features:
- REDBANK32RedBank32Dined on 9/17/2014Lovely, lovely..everything was perfect...service, ambiance ,wine and food were superb...so happy I shared a special evening with my son at DovetailSpecial Features:
- California Harvest was greatKenSDined on 9/17/2014We celebrated a birthday on Wednesday with Dovetail's California Harvest Festival dinner and it was really special. The beets with roasted figs were extraordinary and the truffled pasta was magical. The wine pairings were perfect. All of the California wines were new to us and we look forward to having them again.Special Features:
- A New ClassicBGKuroDined on 9/16/2014Everything about Dovetail is just right - the sumptuous food, attentive service, the warm but elegant ambiance (they played a lovely selection of jazz all evening) - they all were top notch. It seems to be the trend here to have over casual restaurants that claim a gourmet menu and wine list (and the exorbitant prices attached) - yet play rock and roll music and have a flat screen TV with the sports channel playing. Dovetail harkens back to the elegance of the pre-90's where dinner out was something special. I will return!Special Features:
- WowsweetoothDined on 9/15/2014We took visiting relatives for dinner recently, and had one of the best meals I've eaten. Everyone said "wow," "ooh," and "mmmm" through the entire evening!Special Features:
- LambchopDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding experience! The only issue for me was that the vast majority of bottles of wine were in the $200 to $1,500 price range. Even the single glasses of wine were in the $16 to $18 price range.Special Features:
- EatableDined on 9/9/2014GreAt ambience of cool dining. Cod enntree was tasteless but rest of dinner was fab - and well presented.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyUWSLiferDined on 9/8/2014This continues to be really outstanding in several respects. I took a colleague there for a business discussion and to catch up after not seeing one another for a few years. The crowd was diverse, attractive and lively. The tables are quiet enough for a real conversation. The "vegetable focused" menu on Mondays is so creative and delicious. The service is warm and helpful, yet unobtrusive. I really like this place.Special Features:
- A gem! Always a pleasure!finefoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our favorite restaurant in NYC for a good reason. The eclectic menu prepared with artistic flavors and a joyous flair. Great staff in a perfect room. A must if you love great dining!Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayboatsDined on 9/7/2014Creative, varied menu brings one happy surprise after another in a relaxed, elegant environment. Service is impeccable without being overbearing. Wine list is pricey but deep. Clientele that seems to be enjoying themselves as much as we did tops off the magic ambiance.Special Features:
- Lovely experience with amazing menufoodiefriendDined on 9/6/2014We had the best time and discovered amazing flavors during our dinner at Dove Tail. Fresh and surprising the menu options had us enraptured with dishes that were fresh, fantastic and unexpected. Loved it and recommend to all that appreciate great food executed with perfection. The wine list is a gem, so go explore.Special Features:
- Sad comedy of errorsDisappointedinMalibuVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is supposed to be a superb restaurant. Our experience was dreadful. The waiter was not at all gracious and numerous staff members, from bus boys to a captain, were virtually clueless. The chef thought a lactose free meal couldn't contain butter (lactose is milk sugar-butter is all butter fat). The repeated errors, omissions and failure to deal quickly and effectively with a small issue ruined the Saturday night reunion of old friends who have been separated by a continent for decades. The manager was the only forthright person, and he only showed up 10 minutes after we politely asked for his help. The food we did receive was of good but not great quality. The restaurant needs to do in better choosing and training their people. Sad!
- The CanadiansAlbertaBoundDined on 9/4/2014We had a special reunion of Canadians in New York and chose the Dovetail for its ratings. The food was outstanding. The service and ambience was fantastic. I would definitely come again and certainly recommend the Dovetail to my friends.Special Features:
- PoppyDined on 9/1/2014The vegetarian menu was formidable. Même les adeptes de la viande ont complètement adoré.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok...kramDined on 9/1/2014Good: great wine list by the bottle, food. not so great: wine list by the glass, service They said they'll give us desert to go cuz we were full but never did. i called and asked and the gm said - they don't do it as a policy - so my wife was kind of put off by the different responses. The service was slow - not exactly michelin star caliber.
- DisappointingwonderfulwinoVIPDined on 9/1/2014First, we were waited 30 minutes to be seated. None of the dishes stood out. While all of the dishes looked beautifully prepared, each dish was bland at best. It was apparent that the sommelier was unfamiliar with the wines served. The wine that I ordered turned out to have been unavailable, so the sommelier suggested a similar wine that was more expensive and he graciously charged the price of the wine that I ordered. But when the wine was poured there was a lot of sediment in our glasses. If he had known about the wine that he offered he should have decanted it before serving it. Most frustrating was a group of six loud drunks that spoiled the atmosphere for the whole restaurant.Special Features: