103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123623800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - firstname.lastname@example.org 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
370 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (271)special occasion (251)romantic (174)neighborhood gem (157)notable wine list (125)great for lunch (66)great for brunch (38)good for groups (26)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Outstanding experience! The only issue for me was that the vast majority of bottles of wine were in the $200 to $1,500 price range. Even the single glasses of wine were in the $16 to $18 price range.Special Features:
- EatableDined on 9/9/2014GreAt ambience of cool dining. Cod enntree was tasteless but rest of dinner was fab - and well presented.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyUWSLiferDined on 9/8/2014This continues to be really outstanding in several respects. I took a colleague there for a business discussion and to catch up after not seeing one another for a few years. The crowd was diverse, attractive and lively. The tables are quiet enough for a real conversation. The "vegetable focused" menu on Mondays is so creative and delicious. The service is warm and helpful, yet unobtrusive. I really like this place.Special Features:
- A gem! Always a pleasure!finefoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our favorite restaurant in NYC for a good reason. The eclectic menu prepared with artistic flavors and a joyous flair. Great staff in a perfect room. A must if you love great dining!Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayboatsDined on 9/7/2014Creative, varied menu brings one happy surprise after another in a relaxed, elegant environment. Service is impeccable without being overbearing. Wine list is pricey but deep. Clientele that seems to be enjoying themselves as much as we did tops off the magic ambiance.Special Features:
- Lovely experience with amazing menufoodiefriendDined on 9/6/2014We had the best time and discovered amazing flavors during our dinner at Dove Tail. Fresh and surprising the menu options had us enraptured with dishes that were fresh, fantastic and unexpected. Loved it and recommend to all that appreciate great food executed with perfection. The wine list is a gem, so go explore.Special Features:
- Sad comedy of errorsDisappointedinMalibuVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is supposed to be a superb restaurant. Our experience was dreadful. The waiter was not at all gracious and numerous staff members, from bus boys to a captain, were virtually clueless. The chef thought a lactose free meal couldn't contain butter (lactose is milk sugar-butter is all butter fat). The repeated errors, omissions and failure to deal quickly and effectively with a small issue ruined the Saturday night reunion of old friends who have been separated by a continent for decades. The manager was the only forthright person, and he only showed up 10 minutes after we politely asked for his help. The food we did receive was of good but not great quality. The restaurant needs to do in better choosing and training their people. Sad!
- The CanadiansAlbertaBoundDined on 9/4/2014We had a special reunion of Canadians in New York and chose the Dovetail for its ratings. The food was outstanding. The service and ambience was fantastic. I would definitely come again and certainly recommend the Dovetail to my friends.Special Features:
- PoppyDined on 9/1/2014The vegetarian menu was formidable. Même les adeptes de la viande ont complètement adoré.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok...kramDined on 9/1/2014Good: great wine list by the bottle, food. not so great: wine list by the glass, service They said they'll give us desert to go cuz we were full but never did. i called and asked and the gm said - they don't do it as a policy - so my wife was kind of put off by the different responses. The service was slow - not exactly michelin star caliber.
- DisappointingwonderfulwinoVIPDined on 9/1/2014First, we were waited 30 minutes to be seated. None of the dishes stood out. While all of the dishes looked beautifully prepared, each dish was bland at best. It was apparent that the sommelier was unfamiliar with the wines served. The wine that I ordered turned out to have been unavailable, so the sommelier suggested a similar wine that was more expensive and he graciously charged the price of the wine that I ordered. But when the wine was poured there was a lot of sediment in our glasses. If he had known about the wine that he offered he should have decanted it before serving it. Most frustrating was a group of six loud drunks that spoiled the atmosphere for the whole restaurant.Special Features:
- Best restaurant on Upper West SideDianaDined on 8/28/2014I have been to Dovetail half a dozen times and it never disappoints. Great location, ambiance, service and food.Special Features:
- delicious flavors and texturesUWSfoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been to Dovetail in a few years. Last time, the tasting menu out-shone the a la carte, but now the a la carte is as spectacular with lots of options and surprising combinations of flavors and textures. Definitely worthy of a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- msjhVIPDined on 8/22/2014Haven't been here in years and was pleased to rediscover it. Food was excellent and we enjoyed the fact that the noise level was so conducive to carrying on a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service review for DovetailUWSdinerat89thDined on 8/22/2014Food carefully presented and delicious. Service was shaky and uncoordinated, although there were plenty of staff milling around. Wine to accompany the meal was served first, long before the entrée appeared.Special Features:
- The Jewel of the UWSAMKoVIPDined on 8/20/2014The dining experience at Dovetail is both unique and elegant, without being fussy or excessively cute. You do pay a good sum for the unusual ingredients and preparations, but for a special culinary experience, there is nothing like it anywhere north of Lincoln Center, except maybe Telepan, which I do not like as much.Special Features:
- Perfection, almostElleWDined on 8/20/2014Everything was perfection, well almost. The carrot dish with lentils had a couple of uncooked lentils in it which were not great for the teeth. The port had a piece of cork floating in it. But other than that, everything was so very good. The chèvre agnolotti & the lamb were our top picks, but every other dish (bar the carrots) was pretty magical too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable anniversary celebrationKenSDined on 8/20/2014We went to Dovetail to celebrate the 11th anniversary of our wedding and we had a truly memorable meal: the vegetarian tasting menu. We were blown away by the extraordinary range of subtle tastes, the inventive combinations of tastes, and the way the meal built from course to course. The service was great, the wine was wonderful, and the atmosphere perfect. Finally, the staff was extraordinarily attentive to our special dietary needs. This was above and beyond the call of duty and it is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 8/19/2014Excellent food, service and wine. Each course was truly delightful!! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Very positive experience. One of our great surprises in NYC. Nice ambience, outstanding service, excellent food. An overall great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchhappyeaterDined on 8/17/2014Brunch is a fantastic deal with a fixed price menu and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic from start to finish!LovetoDineDined on 8/16/2014Truly everything we had was wonderful. The service was pleasant and impeccable. It was slightly quick on a Saturday Night but we didn't feel rushed. This is not simply a nice restaurant. This is an experience not to be forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining on the upper west sidesLarry11VIPDined on 8/16/2014FOr a special occasion this restaurant is beautiful although a little pricey The service was wonderful and we really enjoyed our night the restaurant is quiet And very beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tasting menuswedeDined on 8/16/2014The tasting menu was excellent as in the past. This is the best restaurant on the Upper West Side. The wine list is outstanding but too pricey, good wine does not have to cost >$200/bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!NathalieDined on 8/16/2014Hands down best restaurant we've eaten at in NYC! My husband and I each ordered the four-course menu and each part of it was amazing. The preparation was so delicious and unique that we shared every course! The service was outstanding too. Truly a dining experience to remember!Special Features:
- Notable Neighforhood FindBdaFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Overall Dovetail gets very good ratings? Menu is somewhat limited, but good variety with an interesting structure. Not a chef tasting menu but the option for full a la carte or limited tasting menu with your own selections. The noise level is just right- quiet enough to enjoy, but not so much you are uncomfortable having a laugh! The initial amuse bouche is bread and a few tasty bits. Then another real chef's selection interesting- both flavors and form. All courses of the meal were well presented, appropriately sized and very tasty. We were also given a very interesting sorbet- strawberry and chili pepper- a surprising delight! Service attentive, but enjoyably almost invisible at the same time! Overall worth a visit and a return!Special Features:
- Genny384Dined on 8/15/2014This was my 2nd time at Dovetail and it didn't fail to disappoint. The service and food were both excellent as was the wine suggested to us. The ambience is refined and sophisticated and you can't help but have a wonderful evening here.Thank you once again for a wonderful eveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy to have dined hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Have been meaning to try Dovetail for some time now and it was worth the wait. We dined during Restaurant Week and while this can be a recipie for a sub par dining experience, Dovetail stood up to its reputation and delivered a good performance. Polished service with a minior fault on the delivery of the excellent corn bread. Front end accomodated our delayed arrival with finesse and we were very pleased with the handiwork from the kitchen. Flavors were pronounced and the portions were comfortable for a lunch during Restaurant week. Really enjoyed my steak tartar but wished I had chosen the fluke like my guest instead of the bbq'd pork shoulder which was good but just not as tastyas his. We were sufficiently intrigued & plan to return.Special Features:
- The food was very goodJIJIVIPDined on 8/15/2014This time we had the Restaurant Week menu.Food was excellent, delivered hot and nice size portions.Special Features:
- Upper West Side GemJimInBelmontDined on 8/14/2014First trip to NYC. Wanted a place that was unique to the city and not a tourist trap. Dovetail fit the bill perfectly. We had the four-course wine pairing dinner. Exquisite! I could go on an on, but you simply have to experience this place for yourself. Highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dovetail is my favorite, buttallulahDined on 8/14/2014Like many very good restaurants, they couldn't pull it off for restaurant week. The bread plate fritters were unbearably salty. The avocado salad should have been cut with something less rich. My hake serving was generous but unfortunately flavorless, and the the coconut sauce which accompanied it needed a little nuoc mam and/or lime leaf. My chocolate cake looked dry, hard and unappetizing but was actually creamy, Ganache-like, and delicious. Our waiter was sheer perfection, slightly stiff to begin with but after reading us, warmed to a perfect match. Dovetail remains my favorite restaurant in spite of their less then stellar restaurant week offerings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014An exceptional dining experience! It was quiet enough when we arrived that we could hear the terrific background soundtrack. Every detail is spectacular, from the flowers on the table to the presentation of the cornbread and arancini (not to be missed). The avocado with curried cauliflower danced with flavors that could stand apart but blended into something special. Same goes for the melon gazpacho. The hake was sublime! My friend liked the pork but felt it was a little dry and perhaps oversalted. We were able to sample each dessert and loved them all. Service was warm and friendly. Only slight negative is the musty odor when you go downstairs for the restroom and private dining area. Don't let this stop you!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekPhilip223Dined on 8/14/2014Went here for restaurant week lunch. The food was good, especially the sautéed foie gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fine restaurantArtsLovRDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Dovetail for restaurant week and were pleasantly surprised by the extremely high quality of the food. We've been to many upscale restaurants in NYC, some with celebrity chefs, and this one compares favorably to the top few restaurants in the city. They did not skimp on the quality of their restaurant week lunch menu as so many establishments do these days. Everything we tried, from appetizers to dessert and even the bread, was fresh and delectable with very well-balanced flavors.Special Features:
- Great place for fine-dinningMiniAnnaDined on 8/13/2014I went to there with my friends for restrautant week lunch. Great menu and very friendly recipients. Love the juicy and tender barbecued pork shoulder！Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtherealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Overall experience from beginning to end was exceptional.Special Features:
- Well deserved Michelin star.veggieloveDined on 8/12/2014The food is outstanding... and a real treat for vegetarians. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not impressedJaayVIPDined on 8/12/2014Small lump of pork shoulder for the prix fix. Not a great idea for impressing new customers. They should just forget the restaurant week lunch as I would not go back
- Not that good for valuePasCatDined on 8/12/2014Don't misunderstand me, the food is good there, the service is pleasant and the ambience is cool... But for the value I know better place to eat in Manhattan. I expected a finer food.Special Features:
- Sophisticated w/ great servicejandcDined on 8/12/2014The food was excellent and the setting was sophisticated and very pleasing. Service was truly wonderful, easy-going and efficient. We found it a completely enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.