103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 362-3800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - firstname.lastname@example.org 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (269)special occasion (229)romantic (166)neighborhood gem (150)notable wine list (123)great for lunch (59)great for brunch (36)good for groups (31)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- High tail it to DovetailRegisteredDietitianVIPDined on 11/18/2014We had not been here in many years. The food is superb, the attention to special needs wonderful, the staff attentive helpful and professional. Wine list exceptional. The Prix Fixe dinner well worth the $88.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICE, POOR FOODsalhalDined on 11/17/2014After reading the reviews I was expecting excellent food. We had the 3 course pix fix and every dish way incredibly salty, nothing tasted like the ingredients in it. The dishes were interesting but, again, way too much salt that masked the taste of the real ingredients. Such a shame!
- Wine director lets down foodDCDinersDined on 11/16/2014The. Wine list seems to be be for for show than to provide accessible wines at reasonable prices to enjoy with the creative dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and not worth the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2014The 'set' brunch had absolutely no allowance for a smaller appetite. The first course was somewhat pretentious and not very good...too much yoghurt, not warm enough soup and two bits tiny enough that they couldn't be picked up. Main course OK but dessert did not appeal. One older client at our table had little appetite, ate nothing more than half a portion of salad and was charged full price for three courses. It took half an hour to find that the wine ordered was not available and no effort was made to replace it. Our host had to choose and order a different one. The waiters did a good job but the overall staff were casual and not very polite. When our host asked most politely if there could be some small allowance for the older guest with small appetit the response was a sharp 'No, it is a set menu'. Maybe a little more training and allowing management to have some small discretion in charging would be in order. Also The odd wine at a more moderate price per glass might encourage more return clients...we noticed that no other table seemed to order more than water or tea! Keep trying!
- Late night findVadimDined on 11/15/2014Food, presentation and service were great. It is one of those places you want to visit at least one more time. We used it for pre-theatre dinner but it deserves more time and relaxation. I had a glass of California cab from the 'By the glass' list, but couldn't memorize the name, it was amazing. Venison was great also.Special Features:
- Dovetail is a big hit for usSeedykayDined on 11/13/2014The service from beginning to end was truly remarkable - the antithesis of that smug arrogance that is found in so many other NYC restaurants. Our only regret is that we did not order a larger portion of the gnocchi for our shared entrees. In fact, our waiter recommended that we should order larger but, we were so prejudiced by so many heavy gnocchi experiences, we could not have anticipated the little pillows of heaven that blessed our table. Truly a great experience. We can't wait to get back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too saltynoneDined on 11/10/2014the food was extremely salty. the dessert was great. don't know if it's value for money, though.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningmidoDined on 11/9/2014Visiting from England for a weekend trip we chose Dovetail for a special night out. It exceeded expectations, great atmosphere, attentive service and amazing food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fijiVIPDined on 11/9/2014No need to review. This continues to be simply a great restaurant, and we have been going here since it opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary degustation menu.KazdDined on 11/7/20144 of us met from all over the world for a special occasion dinner and we found the food, wine and service fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingCav1Dined on 11/7/2014Each and every bite was a delight! Dishes were beautifully presented by a very adept staff. Wine list is very comprehensive and the sommeliere, who was very friendly, helped us to navigate the wines and choose a wonderful vintage. Overall a wonderful--and fun--evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did they earn a Michelin Star?AmieVIPDined on 11/5/2014A good menu is not enough to make dinner an experience.. Our distracted waitress let our main course sit under the warmer in the kitchen. As it was fish, it arrived with the telltale signs of sitting around. We were never offered a second drink until our glasses had been empty well into the main course. Granted the room was busy, but that does not excuse the neglect of basic service. When a different waitress from ours realized that the fish we ordered had been languishing on the counter, several members of the staff came around and offered to make amends: a new entree, free dessert, more wine, all of which came across more like pandering than graciousness.
- 4friendsDined on 11/4/2014Other than the noise level which is a bit loud, the dinner was really good, the food is great... service very attentive would definitely go back for a special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in NYCBMOCDined on 11/4/2014This was my second trip to Dovetail and both experiences have been tremendous. The food is outstanding...every course is better than the next, the wine is delicious, and the staff is incredibly attentive and knowledgable. I cannot recommend this restaurant any more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC treatLexdinerVIPDined on 11/2/2014Wonderful dinner after the ballet. Exquisite food, artfully presented. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lili75Dined on 11/2/2014We were a group of 8 people, choosing tasting menu. Food was excellent but some little mistakes of services. Nice eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the sunday suppaElvisDined on 11/2/2014their "sunday suppa" is so nice. would be great to have a healthy dessert option like an all fruit "sundae" for those eating healthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessLondongirlDined on 11/1/2014Took my husband for dinner for his birthday - we chose the four course option with matching wines. The food was delicious without being overly complicated and the wines were amazing - most impressed with the swift, friendly and personal service which exceeded my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memilyVIPDined on 10/31/2014We go often to Dovetail and it never disappoints. The variety of flavors, colors, textures and presentations are thrilling. Our friends are always pleased to come with us. Kudos to the chef!Special Features:
- A wonderful eveningJakeVIPDined on 10/31/2014We returned to Dovetail after quite awhile and instantly regretted the delay in returning. Nothing could have been any better. The food was delicious, imaginative and beautifully presented. The service was super attentive but friendly. The decor was beautiful but not overpowering. The layout of tables provided a sense of privacy and permitted easy conversation. In our case we were a a party of four with two from LA and two from NYC who hadn't really been together in a while. So the evening just flawed magically.Special Features:
- Outstanding: start to finishwilltravel4foodVIPDined on 10/30/2014Outstanding. Dovetail lives up to the high reviews of New York Times, Zagat, Wine Spectator, and Michelin. Dovetail begins with a great ambiance. Next you are greeted by a friendly hostess group. Once seated you feel like you are at nothing less then a high end establishment. The staff was fantastic. Everyone from the water boys constantly filling your glasses, to the sommelier, and to the wait staff explaining every detail about every little thing you were about to taste. The menu was a great collaboration of seasonal items each complimented perfectly with their choice of seasonings, sauces, etc. If you are looking for a great experience from the initial taster to the handmade chocolates/sweets given at the end of the meal, you must go!Special Features:
- Great vegetarian food!SmritigolchhaVIPDined on 10/29/2014Brilliant discovery. Every single bite was delicious from the beginning to the end. Beautiful presentation, excellent food! Great service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had above 76th St.DrLydiaGrayDined on 10/29/2014This restaurant was a delightful surprise. Actually a friend's wife organized a surprise birthday celebration for her husband and invited 5 of his male friends. She set it up for us to have the Chef's tasting menu with wine pairing and the 6 of us had a fabulous time. Being a foodie myself, I was amazed at the style and combination of selections. Everything on the menu was perfectly balanced and the wine pairing was impressive. I'm not sure how one makes a sauce out of graham crackers but it was a revelation when served with the seared foie gras. Book your next meal and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level high at Sunday dinnerUnited2millionmilerVIPDined on 10/26/2014At 7pm on a Sunday, the restaurant was packed. My partner and I sat 3 feet across the table and needed to shout to be heard. Apparently, the $58 three-course dinner on Sunday was very popular. Choice of about 6 appetizers, 6 entrees, and 6 ice cream sundaes (or have a custom-made one). Nicely prepared and served food, but the noise level detracted. Perhaps it's quieter at other times of the week.
- Wonderful dinnerrbrushDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dinner last week. The food was excellent as was the staff & service. A great restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Perfection4tastingmenusVIPDined on 10/25/2014If you have the time--and you should make time--you should have the tasting menu with reserve wine pairings at Dovetail. The meal is worth every penny. The kitchen continues to be inventive. The dishes are imaginative but also substantial--no two flakes of this and one sprig of that served up as a course! Everything is fresh and the combinations are always a delight. The wine pairings are the best available in the city. There's inventiveness here too combined with great expertise. The service is quiet and unobtrusive but as friendly as you would like: the staff takes its cue from the customer. The tasting menu with pairings I had this October 25 made for the most enjoyable meal I've had in NYC in years. I can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Michelin 1-starNYMikeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Fantastic food and preparation with an outstanding wine list. In their wine cellar I spied, among other bottles, a 1940 and 1955 Mouton Rothschild. Dovetail features an $88 four-course meal without wine pairings including amuse bouche, palate clearings and after-dinner bon-bons. Serious food!Special Features:
- Simply DelightfulCanadafoodluverDined on 10/23/2014Dovetail is an absolute Gem! Everything on the menu looks sublime and the dishes we ordered were meticulously prepared, artful and delicious. The Chefs exactingly match flavors and textures and use complex preparation techniques to get the most out of every ingredient. The in-house cured duck appetizer was masterful, setting a new benchmark for excellence in my mind. My partner had the sous vide prepared chicken and said it melted in her mouth. I had the venison which was tender and soft tasting, and nicely complemented by the wild trumpet mushrooms and salsify purée. The service was as impressive as the dishes. The waiter could answer every question and the sommelier was very helpful & friendly. All in, a delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the Upper West SidePillayDined on 10/23/2014Dovetail is a surprisingly large and welcoming space that is virtually hidden behind a very unassuming door. The cuisine is truly delectable, the service attentive and the wine list quite superb. Excellent amuse bouches that were quite unexpected. The first time we had dinner here was in a large group of 10 people. This time we had a more intimate group of 3. It was excellent both times. The staff give you time to enjoy your food and do not rush you out. This is truly the best restaurant on Manhattan's Upper West Side. I recommend Dovetail unreservedly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning food, but a bit crowded.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The food, service and particularly the wine list are superb. However the atmosphere was slightly spoilt by a feeling of being too closet to others, and hearing others private conversations. The vegetarian degustation was amazing. The staff were attentive without being in your face. The food was extremely good, with quality ingredients, modern techniques and beautiful laying.Special Features:
- All around excellenceLarkinCrothersDined on 10/20/2014Went on a Monday night and ordered from the prix fixe vegetarian menu - a tremendous value. Food was creative and very tasty. The sommelier was fantastic and made great suggestions for each of our dishes. This place earned its Michelin star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeggattskisDined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend and I dined here this past Sunday to celebrate my birthday and we had an amazing experience. Our captain, Heather, treated us so well that we felt like VIPs. We had the tasting menu and were blown away by the food and the hospitality. Service was unparalleled, from Maureen (our friendly and efficient front waiter) Heidi (our incomparable sommelier), Luigi (our runner with a vast knowledge of our dishes) and to Babu, who made sure our water glasses were always full with a smile. Our former coworker, Vinny, even popped out of the kitchen to say hello! Hands down the greatest dining experience to date. Bravo Dovetail, we will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/19/2014Awful unprofessional service. Water server terrible body odor. Woman who told us what we were being served only spoke to one of the 6 at our table. I asked her twice to repeat to others w same dish. Asked for an empty wine glass which caused a 10 minute discussion among 5 servers at the servers station before we finally received it. Food could not compensate for this. Never again.
- The two other stars will come...luv3dineDined on 10/19/2014The food was excellent, as is the standard for any Michelin rated restaurant. The bass I received was probably slightly overcooked, but that's being very picky. That is a forgivable mistake for a 1-star. The food aside, (the goose fois gras is one of the best I've ever had) I believe the reason I enjoyed this meal so much is not because I paid 200 bucks for it. The reason it was so good was because their service and Sommelier is absolutely superb. Her food and wine pairing is probably the best I've ever had. Better than the wine pairing at 2-star Aquavit we had just a few nights prior. The service from the hosts to the dining table was absolutely great, with excellent attention to detail. Would go again, regularly if I lived in NYC.Special Features:
- lovely eveningvisitforworkDined on 10/18/2014Dovetail is lovely, and the food is fantastic. It was a perfect place to have an exceptional meal in a low-key, graceful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/17/2014A friend suggested Dovetail to me and I'm thrilled we went. The tasting menu was divine - everyone found something unique. The portions were filling, but not overwhelming. Definitely a great spot for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menusteamysingDined on 10/17/2014Food was amazing. The dishes just kept coming. The combos of flavors were quite uniqueSpecial Features:
- AmazingYummytummyDined on 10/16/2014Delicious food, attentive but unobtrusive service and a wonderful overall dining experience. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrennieDined on 10/12/2014Loved our meals and the staff could not have been more gracious nor accommodating. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great UWS place!BH53Dined on 10/12/2014The food is very tasty, and the overall experience is very polished and pleasant. The experience perhaps deserves the Michelin star, but it's not quite the best Michelin starred restaurant I've been to. Nonetheless, this is an excellent place if you're looking for a nice, moderately high-end dinner on the Upper West Side.Special Features: