103 West 77th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dovetailnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123623800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00 - 10:00
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30pm-2:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: John Fraser
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private functions are available, please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Vivar - firstname.lastname@example.org 2123623800x
A word from Dovetail
Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
387 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (281)special occasion (263)romantic (184)neighborhood gem (163)notable wine list (132)great for lunch (64)great for brunch (42)good for groups (26)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- delicious flavors and texturesUWSfoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We hadn't been to Dovetail in a few years. Last time, the tasting menu out-shone the a la carte, but now the a la carte is as spectacular with lots of options and surprising combinations of flavors and textures. Definitely worthy of a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- msjhVIPDined on 8/22/2014Haven't been here in years and was pleased to rediscover it. Food was excellent and we enjoyed the fact that the noise level was so conducive to carrying on a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service review for DovetailUWSdinerat89thDined on 8/22/2014Food carefully presented and delicious. Service was shaky and uncoordinated, although there were plenty of staff milling around. Wine to accompany the meal was served first, long before the entrée appeared.Special Features:
- The Jewel of the UWSAMKoVIPDined on 8/20/2014The dining experience at Dovetail is both unique and elegant, without being fussy or excessively cute. You do pay a good sum for the unusual ingredients and preparations, but for a special culinary experience, there is nothing like it anywhere north of Lincoln Center, except maybe Telepan, which I do not like as much.Special Features:
- Perfection, almostElleWDined on 8/20/2014Everything was perfection, well almost. The carrot dish with lentils had a couple of uncooked lentils in it which were not great for the teeth. The port had a piece of cork floating in it. But other than that, everything was so very good. The chèvre agnolotti & the lamb were our top picks, but every other dish (bar the carrots) was pretty magical too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable anniversary celebrationKenSDined on 8/20/2014We went to Dovetail to celebrate the 11th anniversary of our wedding and we had a truly memorable meal: the vegetarian tasting menu. We were blown away by the extraordinary range of subtle tastes, the inventive combinations of tastes, and the way the meal built from course to course. The service was great, the wine was wonderful, and the atmosphere perfect. Finally, the staff was extraordinarily attentive to our special dietary needs. This was above and beyond the call of duty and it is greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 8/19/2014Excellent food, service and wine. Each course was truly delightful!! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great brunchhappyeaterDined on 8/17/2014Brunch is a fantastic deal with a fixed price menu and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic from start to finish!LovetoDineDined on 8/16/2014Truly everything we had was wonderful. The service was pleasant and impeccable. It was slightly quick on a Saturday Night but we didn't feel rushed. This is not simply a nice restaurant. This is an experience not to be forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining on the upper west sidesLarry11VIPDined on 8/16/2014FOr a special occasion this restaurant is beautiful although a little pricey The service was wonderful and we really enjoyed our night the restaurant is quiet And very beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tasting menuswedeDined on 8/16/2014The tasting menu was excellent as in the past. This is the best restaurant on the Upper West Side. The wine list is outstanding but too pricey, good wine does not have to cost >$200/bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!NathalieDined on 8/16/2014Hands down best restaurant we've eaten at in NYC! My husband and I each ordered the four-course menu and each part of it was amazing. The preparation was so delicious and unique that we shared every course! The service was outstanding too. Truly a dining experience to remember!Special Features:
- Notable Neighforhood FindBdaFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Overall Dovetail gets very good ratings? Menu is somewhat limited, but good variety with an interesting structure. Not a chef tasting menu but the option for full a la carte or limited tasting menu with your own selections. The noise level is just right- quiet enough to enjoy, but not so much you are uncomfortable having a laugh! The initial amuse bouche is bread and a few tasty bits. Then another real chef's selection interesting- both flavors and form. All courses of the meal were well presented, appropriately sized and very tasty. We were also given a very interesting sorbet- strawberry and chili pepper- a surprising delight! Service attentive, but enjoyably almost invisible at the same time! Overall worth a visit and a return!Special Features:
- Genny384Dined on 8/15/2014This was my 2nd time at Dovetail and it didn't fail to disappoint. The service and food were both excellent as was the wine suggested to us. The ambience is refined and sophisticated and you can't help but have a wonderful evening here.Thank you once again for a wonderful eveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy to have dined hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Have been meaning to try Dovetail for some time now and it was worth the wait. We dined during Restaurant Week and while this can be a recipie for a sub par dining experience, Dovetail stood up to its reputation and delivered a good performance. Polished service with a minior fault on the delivery of the excellent corn bread. Front end accomodated our delayed arrival with finesse and we were very pleased with the handiwork from the kitchen. Flavors were pronounced and the portions were comfortable for a lunch during Restaurant week. Really enjoyed my steak tartar but wished I had chosen the fluke like my guest instead of the bbq'd pork shoulder which was good but just not as tastyas his. We were sufficiently intrigued & plan to return.Special Features:
- The food was very goodJIJIVIPDined on 8/15/2014This time we had the Restaurant Week menu.Food was excellent, delivered hot and nice size portions.Special Features:
- Upper West Side GemJimInBelmontDined on 8/14/2014First trip to NYC. Wanted a place that was unique to the city and not a tourist trap. Dovetail fit the bill perfectly. We had the four-course wine pairing dinner. Exquisite! I could go on an on, but you simply have to experience this place for yourself. Highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dovetail is my favorite, buttallulahDined on 8/14/2014Like many very good restaurants, they couldn't pull it off for restaurant week. The bread plate fritters were unbearably salty. The avocado salad should have been cut with something less rich. My hake serving was generous but unfortunately flavorless, and the the coconut sauce which accompanied it needed a little nuoc mam and/or lime leaf. My chocolate cake looked dry, hard and unappetizing but was actually creamy, Ganache-like, and delicious. Our waiter was sheer perfection, slightly stiff to begin with but after reading us, warmed to a perfect match. Dovetail remains my favorite restaurant in spite of their less then stellar restaurant week offerings.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014An exceptional dining experience! It was quiet enough when we arrived that we could hear the terrific background soundtrack. Every detail is spectacular, from the flowers on the table to the presentation of the cornbread and arancini (not to be missed). The avocado with curried cauliflower danced with flavors that could stand apart but blended into something special. Same goes for the melon gazpacho. The hake was sublime! My friend liked the pork but felt it was a little dry and perhaps oversalted. We were able to sample each dessert and loved them all. Service was warm and friendly. Only slight negative is the musty odor when you go downstairs for the restroom and private dining area. Don't let this stop you!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Restaurant weekPhilip223Dined on 8/14/2014Went here for restaurant week lunch. The food was good, especially the sautéed foie gras.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fine restaurantArtsLovRDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Dovetail for restaurant week and were pleasantly surprised by the extremely high quality of the food. We've been to many upscale restaurants in NYC, some with celebrity chefs, and this one compares favorably to the top few restaurants in the city. They did not skimp on the quality of their restaurant week lunch menu as so many establishments do these days. Everything we tried, from appetizers to dessert and even the bread, was fresh and delectable with very well-balanced flavors.Special Features:
- Great place for fine-dinningMiniAnnaDined on 8/13/2014I went to there with my friends for restrautant week lunch. Great menu and very friendly recipients. Love the juicy and tender barbecued pork shoulder！Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EtherealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Overall experience from beginning to end was exceptional.Special Features:
- Well deserved Michelin star.veggieloveDined on 8/12/2014The food is outstanding... and a real treat for vegetarians. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Not impressedJaayVIPDined on 8/12/2014Small lump of pork shoulder for the prix fix. Not a great idea for impressing new customers. They should just forget the restaurant week lunch as I would not go back
- Not that good for valuePasCatDined on 8/12/2014Don't misunderstand me, the food is good there, the service is pleasant and the ambience is cool... But for the value I know better place to eat in Manhattan. I expected a finer food.Special Features:
- Sophisticated w/ great servicejandcDined on 8/12/2014The food was excellent and the setting was sophisticated and very pleasing. Service was truly wonderful, easy-going and efficient. We found it a completely enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a fun vibe!FoodWallahDined on 8/10/2014The cuisine is what I call "American creative" -- combinations of things that are different from the usual. But everything works and is beautifully presented. The special prix fixe, three-course dinner on Sunday night -- which affords plenty of choices for each course -- is a terrific value. The wine list is excellent and very varied. The night I was there, the service director, Heidi, was doubling as sommelier (a position she held previously), and was a terrific guide through the list. The service was flawless but neither hovering nor intimidating. Great food and a fun vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem, esp. for BrunchChippyNYCDined on 8/10/2014The quiet, elegant and superbly friendly and professional service highlighted the incredible dining experience. The food was a fantastic voyage in high culinary artistry and left one with no further want than to come back again and again. The meal will remain embedded in this customer's memory for a long time...or at least until he comes back to enjoy and other wonderful adventure in culinary heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsbenjaminVIPDined on 8/9/2014Dovetail remains an actual food destination... on the UWS of all places. Superb, inventive cooking with a close eye for detail, ven with Chef Fraser busy with his downtown venture. His chef de cuisine must be quite talented. Superb dishes included the heirloom tomato salad, which sounds boring but was anything but. The kitchen constantly plays with what appear to be standard dishes but are not in the least. Great use of vegetables and grains in subtle ways, along with rich ingredients like foie gras or duck.Special Features:
- serabvDined on 8/8/2014Too bad they only serve lunch during Restaurant Weeks.Special Features:
- Janegood2goDined on 8/8/2014Lovely dining experience. Good food, soothing atmosphere, excellent service made for a special meal!Special Features:
- Room with No ViewmmacVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a Restaurant Week lunch here, first time at Dovetail for the three of us. I had hake for my main course, which was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The melon gazpacho for a first course on a warm summer day was refreshing and wonderfully flavored. What the restaurant doesn't have is an inviting decor. It seemed very corporate--rather than reflecting its actual location on the Upper West Side, the room felt like it belonged in midtown Manhattan for the business lunch crowd. However, if one does live on the UWS, it is a convenient place for an excellent meal.
- All I need to say is "go." :) yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Yummmm! Definitely worth the trek. I completely understand why they have a Michelin star!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie from TexasMbell1216Dined on 8/8/2014We own a restaurant in Texas and came to New York for restaurant week. This was the best place we went to! The service was wonderful. The horchata dessert was the best dessert I have ever had in my life. The foie gras was perfectly cooked and the sauces were unique and delicious. The only recommendation I could possibly think of is in regards to my entree. I had the hake with sweet potato and coconut. It was perfectly cooked, I would have loved a bit more spice. But I'm from Texas, and we use a ton of spice so I understand that might not be everyone's cup of tea. Fabulous fabulous experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch is greatFoodloverDined on 8/8/2014Tried Restaurant Week Lunch menu. The food is great, appetizer beef tartar is fresh and in good portion. The fish entree is fantastic, the Long Island Hake is soft and tender with light coconut emulsion. Smooth sweet potato is added to bring the coconut emulsion to next level. This entree tastes perfectly in the hot summer season. Will recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Totally underratedCather123VIPDined on 8/8/2014We've been to Dovetail twice in the last month. Both times were astonishing. The most delicious, fresh and inventive cuisine. Dinner was expensive and worth every cent. Restaurant week lunch was a bargain, same amazing level of food and service, and a lovely bargain wine to go with it. Just lovely, and super professional and friendly service. Our new absolutely favorite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeavenJockDined on 8/7/2014From beginning to end, Dovetail was an exquisite culinary treat. The atmosphere is modern with close attention paid to flowers. They softly mix metal with nature in an elegant manner. It is sophisicated and elegant. The perfect setting for a special or romantic occasion. Daniel is a gem. There is nothing he does not do or pay attention to. He anticipates all needs and addresses every detail. His timing is impeccable. The chef has golden hands. He artfully blends herbs and vegetables to enhance the taste. Presentation is a sculptured delite. Pure heaven in every bite making one desire more. Elegant,romantic, but not stiff. Culinary heaven.Special Features:
- RW: Bumpy start turned out greatnycfoodienewbieDined on 8/7/2014We came here for the summer restaurant week prix fixe lunch. It was very busy. We waited at the bar but no-one offered to serve us and it took over 10 minutes and multiple requests before we were served. We were seated approx. 25 min later. We ate foie gras and steak tartare starters, pork and chicken mains and chocolate and carrot cake desserts. The bread for the foie gras took too long to arrive. But the food was excellent. Starters were well prepared and the meat mains were succulent and juicy. Portions were on the small side but to be expected for RW. There were specially chosen wines for the RW menu and we opted for a white Alsatian. Overall, food was excellent, servers were professional but the choreography could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentlovetoeat123Dined on 8/7/2014loved Dovetail. Hake in coconut sauce was amazing. Tartare was cut too course and too dry. Dessert of carrot cake exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.