543 Cherry St
Macon, GA 31201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dovetailmacon.com/
- Phone: 4782384693x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Bar Open Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 - Until
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Doug Sanneman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: All ocassions from Dovetail menu or our sister restaurant are personally tailored to your needs through our catering facility, the Armory Ballroom or the Cox Capitol Theatre.
- Private Party Facilities: 24 seat wine room in Dovetail.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Collins 4782384693x
- Entertainment: Ambiance music
- Special Events: Visit our Facebook page for more information on all our special events. htpp://www.facebook.com/dovetailmacon
A word from Dovetail
"Locally Crafted, Southern Inspired". Dovetail is a farm to table concept utilizing local herbs, vegetables and proteins when available.Continued
Starters: $8 - $13
Small Plates: $8 - $15
Entrees: $14 - $29
We have a fully stocked bar, with a diverse selection of whiskeys, wines, and craft beers.
Starters: $8 - $13
Small Plates: $8 - $15
Entrees: $14 - $29
We have a fully stocked bar, with a diverse selection of whiskeys, wines, and craft beers.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dovetail - Best Restaurants in Macon ›
Dovetail reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)fit for foodies (38)romantic (28)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (19)good for groups (16)great for brunch (13)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)Show More
- Not so hotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Sunday brunch far short of expectations. Basic eggs, bacon, biscuits and grits meal not much different than Waffle House except in price. Only the grits were unique. Bacon - greasy and uninspired; fruit side - miserly. Wilted sunflowers hung grimly in mason jar of yucky water. Carpet up the stairs - quite grubby. Glad my Atlanta companions didn't make it - would have been quite embarrassed. Just under $100.00 for three for mediocre experience. Macon, if this is what is supposed to be fine dining, we need to demand better.
- jenniferOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Attentive wait staff, knowledgeable about menu. Great food, nice atmosphere. Great reaturaunt, will def go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014My husband took me here for our anniversary dinner. This was our first visit and we were blown away but everything, from the food, to the service, to the wine and beer. We had a veal with grits entree that was so remarkable I do not know where to begin to describe it. Out waiter was amazing, friendly, and patient is helping us choose the best choices for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightWandaDined on 9/6/2014Cozy, great drinks, great food, very friendly and attentive wait staff! Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect first datemidwestgirlmovessouthDined on 9/5/2014I recently had the chance to go to Dovetail on a first date. Everything was PERFECT. I had the Veal, which was on a beautiful bed of dilled creamed corn, it had two slices of grapefruit on top and whole grain mustard. I don't think I've eaten anything that delicious in months. Dovetail is higher end food without the atmosphere of being snobbish. The small plates and appetizers are extremely affordable and perfect for a special occasion or even a weekday night out. I'm dying to try the brunch there, Looked at the menu and that's definitely my next venture!Special Features:
- GoodCourtneyDined on 9/5/2014Generally, really good. The food was plated really well, with each dish looking really pretty. The food was good as well, some things were a little hit-or-miss, but that probably has more to do with personal preference. The veggie plate was excellent with good portions and the snacks offered a lot of value compared to what you would get in Atlanta. I would say the best word to describe it is "unexpected." Just about everything on the menu was different than your traditional upscale/progressive southern joint. There was a streak, but beyond that - it was a lot of stuff I wouldn't have guessed to be on their menu. That's refreshing, and that's saying a lot, because it can be difficult to find a good, unique meal, in Macon or Atlanta.Special Features:
- Amazing findMrGoodbarDined on 9/4/2014Had been to the rookery right below it many times and never noticed it. This restaurant is absolutely amazing. The farm fresh food was very tasty. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and even made recommendations for our four year old that were not on the menu. Normally I would have to go to Atlanta for a dining experience like this. Not any more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumyum1234Dined on 9/3/2014Excellent food and service and it's wonderful every time I'm there. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My wife wanted to try a new place for her birthday dinner so she found this place online. We LOVED it. They really made the dinner special & the food was amazing. We booked for another night before leaving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome all the way aroundLizGDined on 8/30/2014Staff are great, food was awesome. I will be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the Cracked Pie!!!easycreeperDined on 8/30/2014Went to Dovetail as a treat for my wife's promotion. We sampled many different dishes including two "snacks" (salt and vinegar boiled peanuts & fried chicken skins - both of which were very good), a "starter" (Put-Ups - four spreadable toppings/dips including pimento cheese, lima bean hummus, smoked trout dip, and bacon marmalade), two "small plates" (veal loin & duck breast), an "entree" (blackened catfish), and a shared "dessert" (cracked pie - DO NOT let your significant other convince you to share this; Get your own, eat it as fast as you can, and then try to eat the rest of theirs while they're not looking! It's that good). Well worth the visit and looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner everJennVIPDined on 8/30/2014We drive here from Atlanta it is so good - the put-ups and the veggie plate are amazing!Special Features:
- anniversary mealcajunsinexileDined on 8/27/2014Food was creative and delicious. The use of local products contributed to a wonderful freshness and appeal. Chef concocted a complimentary tropical dessert for us after we mentioned that we had gotten married in Hawaii in 1969. We were treated royally by the whole staff. Best meal we have ever eaten in Macon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tables too closeNew2townDined on 8/16/2014Loved the food and design of the restaurant but the music and how close the tables are ruined our experience. I felt like I was closer to the woman sitting a table away than my date. The music was so loud we couldn't hear each other talk and just decided not to talk and asked for our check to leave it was so bad. We decided not to come back because of this. I was very disappointed especially after paying the amount we did you want to have a good dining experience but instead it was the opposite. The restaurant has so much potential if you could provide a better, more intimate experience for the customer.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodTurtlebug0Dined on 8/15/2014I always love Dovetail- fantastic food, interesting decor, amazing service and cool ambiance. The food never fails to disappoint- this time we tried their Cracked Pie which was a seasonal dessert and it was to die for- sweet and salty oatmeal cookie crust with salted caramel ice cream. YUM. My husband and his friend put a hurting on a number of their whiskeys and my girlfriend and I enjoyed cocktails and wine along with our dinners. The deviled eggs were creamy and delicious and the new chili eggplant was light and quite delightful. Always a good choice!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014The food was excellent as always! Great service and great food!Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This was our first visit to Dovetail and it was wonderful. Michael, our server, was fantastic! The food was superb and the Cracked Pie dessert is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!TeenaDined on 7/27/2014The service and the food was OUTSTANDING! No problems with noise or reservation process. I am a huge fan and I will dine at Dovetail again in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressedMaryDined on 7/25/2014Our food and service was outstanding! We had a larger party and the server was very accommodating and delightful. I would highly recommend Dovetail if you're ever in the Macon area!Special Features:
- Pre Play DinnerbennieculpepperDined on 7/19/2014First time we tried the Dove Tail. Great Food, Great Service... very enjoyableSpecial Features:
- WonderfulNathanDined on 7/16/2014The best dining in Macon, GA. The cuisine impresses in preparation and presentation, the service is exemplary and the atmosphere appropriately reserved without being uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary eveningBoo262Dined on 7/12/2014Dovetail is a great find. Food and service excellent. A neat contrast between the Rookery, also great, but more for a fun evening and the quiet ambience of the Dovetail upstairs. Really enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Farm to table in MaconBarryJ113Dined on 7/8/2014Nothing else like it in Macon! Freshest ingredients, great atmosphere, a real gem. Rivals any fine-dining in Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchJeb1985Dined on 6/29/2014I am a bit of a brunch Junkie... I had one of the best brunch dishes ever in the corn and boudin hash. it was amazing. also they were sold out of the shrimp and grits, but really just out of shrimp so the waiter brought us a bowl of cheese grits with lump crab meat and crawfish gravy to try (basically the shrimp and grits without the shrimp) and that was amazing as well. do yourself a favor and go to the dovetail get a cocktail and enjoy some great food at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantJasonEatsDined on 6/21/2014I have eaten at Dovetail multiple times. The restaurant is quaint and the food always exceeds my expectations. On my most recent trip, my wife and I each had a small plate, main course and dessert - writing this review is making me hungry! The menu changes frequently so there are always new dishes to try. In addition to great food, Dovetail offers a drink menu which includes several specialty drinks. If you are looking for a great place for dinner or a place to get a good mixed drink (or wine), I would recommend Dovetail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp and gritsFoodforthoughtDined on 6/15/2014Great brunch! Shrimp and grits were fantastic! Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectBlueCrisploverDined on 5/31/2014My title says it all. The food and service was great. The Ambience was beautiful. The menu is simplistic, meaning you are not bombarded with a lot selections that will distract you from exquisite chefs creations. If you have not tried Dovetail, you must drop everything and head that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 189 reviews are from the Dovetail reviews archive.
- Great anniversary dinner!kjbaDined on 5/21/2014I had heard good things about Dovetail, so I made reservations for my husband and I to celebrate our 9th anniversary there. Reviews recommended getting a table by a window so when making our reservations on line, I requested it and said it was our anniversary. We were seated in a romantic spot right by a window and greated by our server with a glass of champange. What a great start! The apps were different and tasty, our cocktail, The Resort, was so refreshing, the entrees were large portions and so fresh and I cannot describe adequately how fabulous the Cracked Pie was for dessert! It was one of the best dinning experiences we have ever had-great food and drink, unique atmosphere and great service. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationTravelingFoodiesDined on 5/20/2014I had read about Dovetail over a year ago and wanted to try it, we're foodies and always looking for new, exciting places to sample. My husband's birthday seemed like the perfect reason to go there, we invited another couple to join us. We shared a Put-Ups plate and assorted cheese platter, fresh bread and multiple spreads (smoked trout, bacon marmalade, pimiento spread, and lima bean hummus), all were delicious. My friends ordered the Shrimp Purloo and the Swordfish Filet; my husband and I got the Pork Shank Osso Buco and Seared Duck Breast with a side of Brussels Sprouts. We finished with the Strawberry Shortcake and Betsy's Brownies. Every dish was done to perfection, properly seasoned and beautifully plated. We'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothers day brunchAnotherfoodieDined on 5/11/2014Food was delicious, more affordable than dinner time menu and very filling. We had 3 kids with us who loved the food as well. Service was outstanding and the mothers all felt special. We usually dine here in the evening and wanted to try out brunch. Beats many brunches I have experienced before. White sangria was divine. Will def return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great Food, Great Service, overall a great way to spend Sunday afternoon!Special Features:
- You're not alone.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Reservation at 5:30. Sat at table next to window. Tables are right next to each other. Not too bad when the restaurant is full and enough noise, people, etc to make you forget that you're practically sharing a table with someone else. Our complaint was that they immediately sat someone at the table next to us when the whole restaurant was practically empty! It wasn't until we were almost done with our dinner that they sat the table on the other side of our "guests". POOR planning/table seating!! The food was great but we will not go early again!!Special Features:
- An excellent quiet evening for twoSamplingMaconDined on 4/29/2014The Dovetail was an excellent farm to table restaurant with very attentive & knowledgable servers. It is quietly tucked upstairs over the Rookery which is excellent in its own right, but very noisy when the early bar crowd has gathered. My first impression was that the sound would travel upstairs and ruin the ambiance. That did not happen. The entrees and the pairings were very unique and each taste complimented the rest. Seatings were close, but arranged so as to still give a sense of privacy. We thought it would be a quick, enjoyable meal before a concert. Instead it was a dining experience and we missed the concert! We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A hidden gemkerminatorDined on 4/26/2014Fantastic food and ambiance that would be at home, and hold its own, in a big city like Atlanta or New York City. Simply a gem to find in Macon, GA. Easily the best food and best value for money fine dining experience in Macon. Don't miss out!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Enjoyed the appetizers, main course (egg plant Parmesan) and a killer pie for dessert. Invited a group of business associates and heard positive comments fro each of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, needs some fine tuningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The food was excellent as always! My favorite dinner dishes are the duck over grits with tomato jam and the mac & cheese with tasso ham. At brunch, the waiter was happy to combine the special, corn waffle with berries, with the chicken and waffles on the menu. Also delicious were the fried chicken benedict (bacon jam!) and the corn & boudin hash, and don't miss the crack pie! We were only disrupted while our table was being cleared. Though my silverware indicated I had finished eating and the other 2 plates had been cleared (in separate trips), we had to flag down an employee to ask that he wrap my leftovers. Even though he had cleared a plate moments before, he seemed annoyed that we'd asked. Overall though, another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!4theLOVEofFOODDined on 4/19/2014Dovetail and the MoonHanger group is a wonderful team of people that have almost perfected their craft of making food and providing guests with a wonderful dinning experience. The night we dined at Dovetail was perfect. Every bite deserved a sigh and a heavenly eyeball roll because it was that amazing (I'm pretty sure that did actually happen EVERY bite). The food is RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS! Thanks to Michael for the wonderful treatment and experience. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to EatPapawDined on 4/12/2014A wonderful place to dine, Menus items varied and different. The presentation of the food was excellent and the taste was supperb.Special Features:
- Downtown Treasure in MaconLaneyDined on 4/12/2014Dovetail has become a favorite spot for dinner for us. It has a wonderful ambience, excellent and creative menu offerings, and a terrific staff. The menu is not extensive, but the selection includes both small and large plates. The vegetable plate is one of our favorites. It includes seasonable vegetables prepared in interesting ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular MenuamesyfVIPDined on 4/11/2014The menu at Dovetail is always reflective of fresh, local ingredients. Unique combinations and fancy presentations make diners feel as if they are in a swanky, metropolitan city. Service is consistently impeccable and friendly, and the bartender is the best anywhere! If you are a bourbon aficionado, you'll be tickled by the extensive bourbon offerings!Special Features: