Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
131 Dartmouth St
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://douzosushi.com/
- Phone: (617) 859-8886
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 2:55pm Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 11:25pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sushi Chef
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We cater Sushi and Japanese cuisine to all types of establishments in the greater Boston area.
- Entertainment: Fun and vibrant with great people watching.
- Cross Street: between Columbus Ave & Southwest Corridor Park
- Public Transit: Located a few feet away from Back Bay Station, home Amtrak, the commuter rail, and the Orange line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Validated Parking at 131 Dartmouth St. Garage, 3 hours for $5 after 5pm; valet parking Thursday through Saturday after 5pm
A word from Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
When diners enter this stylish restaurant in the heart of Boston’s Back Bay – steps away from the South End & Theater District – they are immediately enveloped in earth tones, rich dark wood and the airiness of high ceilings reverberating with the energy and excitement of the space. The lively bar area is a popular gathering spot offering a selection of cocktails, sake, wine and beer. Guests look on as the team of chefs create cutting-edge sushi dishes, or they settle into an experience of award-winning cuisine in the main dining area. From the knowledgeable and attentive waitstaff to charismatic owner Jack Huang’s pleasure at meeting diners, expect the comfort of being warmly welcomed at Douzo. Like the atmosphere, Douzo’s healthy and fresh cuisine seamlessly combines warm tradition and modern innovation of Japanese classics. Douzo offers inventive dishes that make the restaurant both a neighborhood fixture and a critically acclaimed destination, signature items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (54)hot spot (54)special occasion (45)great for lunch (38)good for groups (34)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (31)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (15)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- such a great findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2014Fantastic experience. Our server Jackie was knowledgeable and entertaining. Food was soot on. Banana tempura will change your life, if you like dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!kennoakDined on 11/22/2014The food was definitely good! We go the rainbow and the caterpillar sushi roll. The fish and eel was very good and fresh! Wrapped well done and cooked well. Would definitely recommend the rolls. Unfortunately, we found our waiter to be very pushy asking trying to get us to get more things, but we were going to another place afterwards, so we didn't want to eat too much at this particular restaurant. Just didn't get a good vibe from our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid pick.ShannonDined on 11/18/2014Inside is nice and simply decorated. They have a good list of sake. The tuna tataki was great. The rolls were good, but the only one that was impressive out of the four our table had was the Toro Jalapeno. The waiter was very attentive. When the place got full it was a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushiJMSBeantownVIPDined on 11/17/2014This is consistently my "go to" place for sushi lunch. Great, fresh fish. Prompt, attentive service. Best choice in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location to meet upfancyskipetteVIPDined on 11/17/2014Close to everything and the lunch box menu is a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 11/17/2014This is my fourth time at Douzo for a business lunch. My clients are always impressed at the super fresh sushi/sashimi and the beautiful presentations. The service is top notch as well... very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good as always. The music is not very goodDDDDVIPDined on 11/16/2014Very good as always. The music is not very compatible with the restaurant vibe
- Another great meal at DouzoJewelrydesignerDined on 11/8/2014This was our second time at Douzo and definitely not our last. Three of us dined at 6:30 PM on a Saturday night prior to going to the theater at the Lyric Stage. Unlike the last time we did this, when the music and noise level made conversation difficult, this time the noise level was fine. The decor of the restaurant is sleek and very elegant, making it suitable for a special occasion. The food is wonderful and the presentation and styling of the plates is exquisite. Other than the fact that our waiter forgot to bring our friend her drink, the service was very good, efficient and gracious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good mealstevegVIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Douzo many times. It is our favorite restaurant for sushi, etc. The food and service ( and hosts ) are consistently very good. Although their prices have risen somewhat sharply, we plan to return...probably not as oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Excellent Boston sushi and hot and cold Japanese dishes. Small plates were delicious.Special Features:
- TOP 5!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/4/2014Coming from Canada this restaurant is Very great! Delicious food for an affordable price! I have tried a lot of Japanese restaurants and this is on one of my top 5's. I will definitely come back if I come back to boston:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I have ate at this restaurant previously and it was great. This time it was just OK. The hostesses were lackluster. We walked in they starred at us, after about a minute of starring they finally said hello and asked us if we had a reservation. The server was very good. The food was nothing special. I was disappointed, as I had returned to the restaurant because the first time I went I enjoyed everything about it.
- YUMmacattack711VIPDined on 10/28/2014Delicious sushi that comes surprisingly fast! In addition to being generally friendly, our server was willing to help us 'create' rolls that would fit our sushi restaurants! So yummy, as always!
- Quality food, pleasant atmosphereMB11Dined on 10/25/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and quiet this restaurant was. The food was fresh and tasty. The service was great as well. We had a very nice dinner here and would recommend it.Special Features:
- Mediocre but well pricedjoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 10/25/2014Adequate quasi-Japanese food. Some dishes, like the gyoza or the seaweed salad, are really quite good. Others, including the tempura and sashimi are adequate but nothing special. Service is pleasant enough but slightly disorganized. The room and decor are okay but generally neither here nor there. Okay if you're in the area for shopping, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushijenjVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is my favorite sushi place in Boston. Every time any of my bosses are in town from France they request we go here.Special Features:
- Always great foodKarenDined on 10/11/2014Brought family who were visiting & they loved it. Food & drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant food and scenedocDDined on 10/3/2014Food was a delight. Second best meal on recent visit to Boston. Service was attentive on a very busy night. Scene brought to mind the vibrancy of Tokyo in the movie Lost in Translation. Worth checking out if you are in Boston.Special Features:
- Great Sushi placeRedpanda89Dined on 9/27/2014The fish was really fresh. My sashimi dinner was great. All the fish was fresh as it should be, notably the tuna. My drinks were awesome. And are waitress was so friendly and professional she was probably the best waitress we've ever had.Special Features:
- Lovely food, beautiful presentationJewelrydesignerDined on 9/20/2014My husband, a friend and I enjoyed a pre-theater dinner at Douzo on Saturday night. It was our first visit to the restaurant. We were immediately struck by the elegant and very modern decor (and surprised by the casual attire of many of the diners). Unfortunately the music was intrusive and loud enough to make conversation difficult. But the food was served promptly, presented beautifully and tasted amazing. The platter of sashimi and sushi that our friend ordered was a work of art! The service was courteous and efficient. Although $19 seemed rather steep for vegetable tempura, we probably will return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Great dinner and great service. Large menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luke in JapanGiackDined on 9/11/2014The food is amazing, it respects the Japanese tasteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in BostonRTBBostonVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always enjoy coming to Douzo. Sushi is fresh. The appetizers, seafood kaiyaki in particular, are awesome! This place is a busy hot spot with an active bar/lounge area. If you bring children/adolescents, please make sure they behave. NOTE: chopsticks are utensils and not intended to be used as drum sticks.Special Features:
- Nothing specialNot2PickyDined on 8/25/2014Sushi is nothing special here, although relatively high priced. Not as good as sushi I get at comparable price in NY, North Carolina, even New Haven. Fine place, but will try somewhere else before going back.
- Fading OutPrincecharmingDined on 8/15/2014With worn-out and damaged upholstery and tables, annoying and unidentifiable loud music, and some very over-priced menu items, we are in no hurry to return. The miso yaki appetizer is a mere 2 bites for $14, and the lousy 3 spare ribs are entirely fat and gristle. However, various sashimi items (baby yellowtail, toro, mackerel, wild salmon, sweet shrimp, eel) and the spider roll were all excellent. The overall experience, however, is just not special enough to make us think about returning. It is probably time for both an interior and menu makeover.
- Noisy and uncomfortableExperienceddinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food but the place was uncomfortably loud and the hostess told me he was reserving this other table for connect it become a 4top. He just ended up sitting another couple there later. They have good sushi, but this was one of the worst settings I have been in, in a long time. I never write reviews, as usually I'm pleased, and it takes a lot to tick me off. Trust me use this place for pick up only
- Fun, great food, well managededfromDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Other than the fact that this restaurant serves terrific food, the attentive service by the wait staff, and their supporting staff, there is always a "suit" with a smile wandering the tables and ensuring that your experience is an excellent one. I have been here with just one other dining partner, my entire family, and a group of 10 and it's always the same... A+.Special Features:
- Nice sushi placeCarolDined on 8/12/2014I liked the phoenix roll, it tasted very special and I loved it.Special Features:
- fatboyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Really good, if pricy sushi. Loud rock music was distracting.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Great food as always. Service was polite, efficient and friendly. Loved the menu suggestions will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- JoeMac27VIPDined on 8/4/2014This was our first visit to Douzo and we will definitely be back. We were greeted by the hostess and manager (possibly the owner) and seated in a nice, elevated booth overlooking the restaurant and sushi bar. We had several apps, all of which were very good and innovative - we enjoyed the different twists the chefs presented. The fried oysters were so fantastic I had 2 more orders!! They were unbelievable; fresh, slightly sweet, moist and, frankly, I found it hard to believe they were fried at all. Our waitress was very good; attentive without being pushy, yet gave us space without ignoring us and she was knowledgeable regarding their various Sakes. A tad pricey, but not when compared to equally high-end sushi restaurants. We will be back!Special Features:
- Amazing Sushi!TrenewtonDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great drink, great service. Make sure you have a reservation. We waited 20 minutes on a Friday night even with a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 127 reviews are from the Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- AMAZING!CashmirDined on 7/29/2014The food was delicious and one of the BEST customer service focus i've seen in a while! We were greeted the moment we stepped foot inside and everyone who worked there was alert and made us feel truly special! AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Douzo!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014Everything was great - delicious starters and sushi, amazing service, and great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great experienceja49449Dined on 7/27/2014Great sushi with reasonable prices. Outstanding all around value.Special Features:
- Delicious!noms123Dined on 7/26/2014Best sushi I've ever had! And my friends and I are sushi aficionados. crunchy salmon roll was absolutely delicious, but so were the more common rolls. The fish, especially salmon was incredibly fresh. Server was super friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Sushi made with great care. Best miso soup I've ever had, with tiny little mushrooms in it. No complaints whatsoever! My friends and I LOVED it! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceCap66VIPDined on 7/21/2014Freshest fish since Tokyo. Good sake selection. Our server was incredible: great personality, knew the menu and was attentive without hovering. Great for a business dinner - no problem reserving and you can actually converse because the noise level is low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi loversParents2dineDined on 7/18/2014Service was prompt and knowledge of menu was sufficient. The sushi was fresh and melted in your mouth. The soft shell crab was delightful. We ended up getting the Douzo platter a little expensive, but worth it. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLOVEJAPANESEDined on 7/17/2014It was one of the best Japanese restaurants we have ever been to; it was outstandingSpecial Features:
- excellent mealstevegVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have been to Douzo many times and it never disappoints. Service and food were excellent despite being very crowded. we will definitely returnSpecial Features: