Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
131 Dartmouth St
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://douzosushi.com/
- Phone: 6178598886x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am - 2:55pm Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 11:25pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sushi Chef
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We cater Sushi and Japanese cuisine to all types of establishments in the greater Boston area.
- Entertainment: Fun and vibrant with great people watching.
- Cross Street: between Columbus Ave & Southwest Corridor Park
- Public Transit: Located a few feet away from Back Bay Station, home Amtrak, the commuter rail, and the Orange line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Validated Parking at 131 Dartmouth St. Garage, 3 hours for $5 after 5pm; valet parking Thursday through Saturday after 5pm
A word from Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant
When diners enter this stylish restaurant in the heart of Boston’s Back Bay – steps away from the South End & Theater District – they are immediately enveloped in earth tones, rich dark wood and the airiness of high ceilings reverberating with the energy and excitement of the space. The lively bar area is a popular gathering spot offering a selection of cocktails, sake, wine and beer. Guests look on as the team of chefs create cutting-edge sushi dishes, or they settle into an experience of award-winning cuisine in the main dining area. From the knowledgeable and attentive waitstaff to charismatic owner Jack Huang’s pleasure at meeting diners, expect the comfort of being warmly welcomed at Douzo. Like the atmosphere, Douzo’s healthy and fresh cuisine seamlessly combines warm tradition and modern innovation of Japanese classics. Douzo offers inventive dishes that make the restaurant both a neighborhood fixture and a critically acclaimed destination, signature items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)hot spot (51)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (35)great for lunch (33)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (16)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- YUMmacattack711VIPDined on 10/28/2014Delicious sushi that comes surprisingly fast! In addition to being generally friendly, our server was willing to help us 'create' rolls that would fit our sushi restaurants! So yummy, as always!
- Quality food, pleasant atmosphereMB11Dined on 10/25/2014I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and quiet this restaurant was. The food was fresh and tasty. The service was great as well. We had a very nice dinner here and would recommend it.Special Features:
- Mediocre but well pricedjoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 10/25/2014Adequate quasi-Japanese food. Some dishes, like the gyoza or the seaweed salad, are really quite good. Others, including the tempura and sashimi are adequate but nothing special. Service is pleasant enough but slightly disorganized. The room and decor are okay but generally neither here nor there. Okay if you're in the area for shopping, etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushijenjVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is my favorite sushi place in Boston. Every time any of my bosses are in town from France they request we go here.Special Features:
- Always great foodKarenDined on 10/11/2014Brought family who were visiting & they loved it. Food & drinks were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant food and scenedocDDined on 10/3/2014Food was a delight. Second best meal on recent visit to Boston. Service was attentive on a very busy night. Scene brought to mind the vibrancy of Tokyo in the movie Lost in Translation. Worth checking out if you are in Boston.Special Features:
- Great Sushi placeRedpanda89Dined on 9/27/2014The fish was really fresh. My sashimi dinner was great. All the fish was fresh as it should be, notably the tuna. My drinks were awesome. And are waitress was so friendly and professional she was probably the best waitress we've ever had.Special Features:
- Lovely food, beautiful presentationJewelrydesignerDined on 9/20/2014My husband, a friend and I enjoyed a pre-theater dinner at Douzo on Saturday night. It was our first visit to the restaurant. We were immediately struck by the elegant and very modern decor (and surprised by the casual attire of many of the diners). Unfortunately the music was intrusive and loud enough to make conversation difficult. But the food was served promptly, presented beautifully and tasted amazing. The platter of sashimi and sushi that our friend ordered was a work of art! The service was courteous and efficient. Although $19 seemed rather steep for vegetable tempura, we probably will return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Great dinner and great service. Large menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luke in JapanGiackDined on 9/11/2014The food is amazing, it respects the Japanese tasteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in BostonRTBBostonVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always enjoy coming to Douzo. Sushi is fresh. The appetizers, seafood kaiyaki in particular, are awesome! This place is a busy hot spot with an active bar/lounge area. If you bring children/adolescents, please make sure they behave. NOTE: chopsticks are utensils and not intended to be used as drum sticks.Special Features:
- Nothing specialNot2PickyDined on 8/25/2014Sushi is nothing special here, although relatively high priced. Not as good as sushi I get at comparable price in NY, North Carolina, even New Haven. Fine place, but will try somewhere else before going back.
- Fading OutPrincecharmingDined on 8/15/2014With worn-out and damaged upholstery and tables, annoying and unidentifiable loud music, and some very over-priced menu items, we are in no hurry to return. The miso yaki appetizer is a mere 2 bites for $14, and the lousy 3 spare ribs are entirely fat and gristle. However, various sashimi items (baby yellowtail, toro, mackerel, wild salmon, sweet shrimp, eel) and the spider roll were all excellent. The overall experience, however, is just not special enough to make us think about returning. It is probably time for both an interior and menu makeover.
- Noisy and uncomfortableExperienceddinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Good food but the place was uncomfortably loud and the hostess told me he was reserving this other table for connect it become a 4top. He just ended up sitting another couple there later. They have good sushi, but this was one of the worst settings I have been in, in a long time. I never write reviews, as usually I'm pleased, and it takes a lot to tick me off. Trust me use this place for pick up only
- Fun, great food, well managededfromDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Other than the fact that this restaurant serves terrific food, the attentive service by the wait staff, and their supporting staff, there is always a "suit" with a smile wandering the tables and ensuring that your experience is an excellent one. I have been here with just one other dining partner, my entire family, and a group of 10 and it's always the same... A+.Special Features:
- Nice sushi placeCarolDined on 8/12/2014I liked the phoenix roll, it tasted very special and I loved it.Special Features:
- fatboyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Really good, if pricy sushi. Loud rock music was distracting.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Great food as always. Service was polite, efficient and friendly. Loved the menu suggestions will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- JoeMac27VIPDined on 8/4/2014This was our first visit to Douzo and we will definitely be back. We were greeted by the hostess and manager (possibly the owner) and seated in a nice, elevated booth overlooking the restaurant and sushi bar. We had several apps, all of which were very good and innovative - we enjoyed the different twists the chefs presented. The fried oysters were so fantastic I had 2 more orders!! They were unbelievable; fresh, slightly sweet, moist and, frankly, I found it hard to believe they were fried at all. Our waitress was very good; attentive without being pushy, yet gave us space without ignoring us and she was knowledgeable regarding their various Sakes. A tad pricey, but not when compared to equally high-end sushi restaurants. We will be back!Special Features:
- Amazing Sushi!TrenewtonDined on 8/1/2014Great food, great drink, great service. Make sure you have a reservation. We waited 20 minutes on a Friday night even with a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!CashmirDined on 7/29/2014The food was delicious and one of the BEST customer service focus i've seen in a while! We were greeted the moment we stepped foot inside and everyone who worked there was alert and made us feel truly special! AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Douzo!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/27/2014Everything was great - delicious starters and sushi, amazing service, and great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Great experienceja49449Dined on 7/27/2014Great sushi with reasonable prices. Outstanding all around value.Special Features:
- Delicious!noms123Dined on 7/26/2014Best sushi I've ever had! And my friends and I are sushi aficionados. crunchy salmon roll was absolutely delicious, but so were the more common rolls. The fish, especially salmon was incredibly fresh. Server was super friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Sushi made with great care. Best miso soup I've ever had, with tiny little mushrooms in it. No complaints whatsoever! My friends and I LOVED it! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceCap66VIPDined on 7/21/2014Freshest fish since Tokyo. Good sake selection. Our server was incredible: great personality, knew the menu and was attentive without hovering. Great for a business dinner - no problem reserving and you can actually converse because the noise level is low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi loversParents2dineDined on 7/18/2014Service was prompt and knowledge of menu was sufficient. The sushi was fresh and melted in your mouth. The soft shell crab was delightful. We ended up getting the Douzo platter a little expensive, but worth it. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLOVEJAPANESEDined on 7/17/2014It was one of the best Japanese restaurants we have ever been to; it was outstandingSpecial Features:
- The following 120 reviews are from the Douzo Modern Japanese Restaurant reviews archive.
- excellent mealstevegVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have been to Douzo many times and it never disappoints. Service and food were excellent despite being very crowded. we will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Great SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Great food and service! Definitely would like to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the waitress was very anti-socialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014the waitress was not friendly, not professional andcshe was half deaft or did not understand english well. we did not like her service at all.Special Features:
- terrific mealstevegVIPDined on 6/12/2014We have been to Douzo many times...this was one of best meals that we have had here. Food and service were terrific including some recently new menu items. we continue to view Douzo as the best sushi restaurant in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite resturant in townyogi44Dined on 6/3/2014I love Douzo! As a Boston resident who eats out a good deal, this is the place I go to the most. It is clean, consistent, very healthy food, beautiful presentation and a truly amazing staff. The adagashi (sp) tofu , a traditional dish, is the best I have ever had anywhere. Wise to make reservations, they are always busy.
- Great Sushi!ChadDined on 5/30/2014We visit Boston often but this is our first time trying sushi in the city. We were not disappointed! Douzo has a great modern feel with house music playing in the background which was perfect. Menu included great food and drink options for all. Rolls were delicious and everything was fresh. I had the house salad to start and their ginger dressing was the best I ever had at a sushi restaurant. The service was superb as well, our waiter was top notch. We will surly return to this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great sushi!!JDBphillyVIPDined on 5/30/2014Visiting from philadelphia we found this gem on open table. Sushi was very fresh & the fish pieces very large. Next time in boston we will absolutely return to this resestaurant. On a side note they also have a take out section separate from resestaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but...bonmanVIPDined on 5/26/2014Miso Soup, Edamame, Seaweed Salad and Salmon Tartar were all really good! Little disappointed in the sushi rolls. Seemed to fall a little flat, especially the Scallop Kiwi roll which came recommended by the waitress roll this bitter sauce on it which ruined the whole thing.Special Features:
- Solidly AveragesomervilleatsDined on 5/20/2014There is nothing distinct about the sushi at Douzo. It is fairly run-of-the-mill sushi like you would find in the hundreds of other average sushi places around town. individual cuts on the nagiri were very small and most of their rolls were the same combinations that you find everywhere else. We sat at the sushi bar and the waitress was very attentive and actually recommended a sake that turned out to be one of the best I have ever had. The sushi chefs, who were chatting loudly throughout the meal in an Asian language I could not identify (but definitely not Japanese), did not pay any attention to anyone sitting at the sushi bar. Maybe I'm a traditionalist but it is nice to at least get a "thank you" or something when getting up to leave.
- Great lunch box!fancyskipetteVIPDined on 5/19/2014Salmon teryaki and spicy tuna roll -- the best. Wait staff a little pushy during lunch hour, service not so great, but food and quick turnaround makes for a good lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJarodDined on 5/18/2014My favorite sushi in Boston. The place is amazing. Waitress was really nice too :)Special Features:
- Average sushi for double the pricetspearsDined on 5/18/2014The restaurant is beautifully decorated in a modern style, and uses the space very well. The service was OK, but they didn't know anything about Japanese food, and had a hard time with the Sake list. We ended up ordering a ton of food, and it was all edible, but it's the same "Japanese" food that you can get everywhere, just more expensive. The Nabeyaki Udon was the same soup you'd get at a mall food court, and the sushi wasn't that much better. Unfortunately in MA, there are many resturants like this that claim to have Japanese food, but instead are Chinese owned, and serve you the cheapest product they can get. If you actually enjoy Japanese food, including sushi, stay away; if you're the "spicy tuna" crowd, then have at it!
- Has it allCambridgianVIPDined on 5/9/2014Great location, great sushi, vibrant scene. This place has an awesome location, but rises to the occasion with a beautiful interior, fantastic food, and fine service. We were there on a busy weekday lunchtime. No problem. One had the sense that it was easy for them to pull out excellence in every category. I would not hesitate to have an important business lunch here, or a romantic getaway, or just a good meal with friends.Special Features: