4905 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
MoroccanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.doukkalarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5106538691x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:30
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Contemporary French / American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Eric Lanvert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We can organize Moroccan Belly dancing for private party's
We can organize private cooking classes
A word from Doukkala
Contemporary California Moroccan utilizing local products and produce with an emphasis on well beingContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doukkala reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (12)romantic (6)special occasion (6)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SeasonedmanDined on 9/20/2014It was a fine place to try new foods. The waiter answered all questions, and the serivce was very good. I enjoyed my meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try DoukkalaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2014Waiters were very nice, friendly and we will definitely recommend Doukkala and return there for dinner.Special Features:
- New restaurant with great futuredragonreesVIPDined on 8/21/2014This fairly new restaurant (august 2014) is still finding its way, but off to a great start. The food is very tasty. We tried two tangines. The lamb Kofta with carrots, olives, potatoes was very good, but the Marin beef cheek tangine was exceptional. Terrine of duck liver mousse was also very tasty as was the pan roasted monkfish in a Moroccan tomato sauce. For dessert, the chocolate fondant was a bit dry. They were out of the pastille which was a bit disappointing. There is an interesting wine list that includes Moroccan and Lebanese selections. The servers were very friendly and accommodating but they don’t yet have their act quite together. I am sure in time it will be fine. The décor is warm and soothing. We will return.Special Features:
- California Moroccan FoodPhilDined on 8/7/2014Creative menu with flavorful dishes. We had an early weeknight dinner, so the restaurant was quiet with few diners. Beet salad was bland, but good. Crab and asparagus salad was tasty. Vegetable tagine was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Really excellent food and service that is perfectly balanced between friendly/engaged, but not too intrusive.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereCaptainVIPDined on 8/2/2014Doukkala is a beautifully decorated restaurant with outstanding cuisine. The tagines were just excellent. This is a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014appetizers were fantastic as were the deserts. stumbled on the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Moroccan Fusion FindSteffiDined on 7/26/2014Heard the chef on KGO that day - we were free & made a reservation on OT & scored an early spot. Doukkala has tasteful decor, helpful & pleasant staff and delicious (and plentiful) food. The Bastilla was yummy (I would next time share this as a group appetizer, as it is often served), the Cous Cous with Merguez Sausage, Duck Confit & Oxtail was luscious. we shared our Bastilla with our neighbor table & he shared his Escargot Mint Butter sauce with us & then proceeded to order us the crunchy/crusty Onion Bread to dip in it! great experience! we also had the Heirloom Tomatoes with Grilled Mackerel- this was good, but would have preferred to have more tomatoes in the dish- especially as the season is current, & less fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!pierotDined on 7/25/2014Food was dry, not a Moroccan restaurant, the Pastilla more like a burrito, was terrible, trying to be French/California/Moroccan but that fusion is not working!
- Delicious & FriendlyLadybugRDined on 7/19/2014Went to Doukkala for a belated birthday dinner. We started with a carafe of Citrus Sangria-exactly what the warm day needed. I had a Roasted Beet Salad w/Quail Eggs & I enjoyed it thoroughly. Not a conventional salad but it was delicious! Birthday Girl ordered a veg. Moroccan Salad Sampler & she was very happy with the spices & textures in each dish. ENTREES: I ordered the Quail Pastilla. This was marvelous! A filo dough shell baked to a crispy perfection. inside is a combination of Quail, almonds, honey, pears & Spices. It was exactly what I was looking for on a Moroccan menu! My friend ordered the Vegetable Tagine a spiced & lemony mix of leeks, eggplant, carrots & other vegetables. She loved that the lemon was bringing it all together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetable TaginePamNDined on 7/9/2014Our experience was generally good - good ambience, nice wait staff. The restaurant was relatively empty when we arrived and we were waited on right away. My friend and I had heard about the vegetable tagine and ordered a full entree to share between us. What arrived was surprisingly little more than a cup of vegetables. The first person who double-checked said that portion was correct. The second waitperson ordered another 1/2 portion for us. This portion was at least double what the first "full" portion was. So there was some kind of glitch between ordering and serving, which was corrected. We both enjoyed the lamb merguez (3 sausages) and the bread was delicious and hot on arrival. I'm sure we would both enjoy returning a second time.Special Features:
- Yikes- this is not Moroccan foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/8/2014The Moroccan place that used to be in this spot was great and that might be why I was so disappointed with Doukkala. How do you make bland Moroccan food? Well the menu only has the slightest hints of Moroccan flair. Meal started great with escargot and sangria. We should have stopped there. Go for happy hour and drink sangria and eat oysters and escargot... if you venture beyond that be ready for the slow train to bland-town.
- The following 8 reviews are from the Doukkala reviews archive.
- We love the food here!judybatDined on 6/15/2014Love the lamb and the quail dishes. Staff is friendly and accommodating. This place is great for hanging back and enjoying a leisurely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Overall my experience for a new place was very good. They have work to do on their vegetarian main courses. They were bland and tasted alike. I have had tangines before and the ywere more flavorful elsewhere. The small plates, salads, deserts, drinks were wonderful. We also had the lamb sausage and it was tasty but overdone. I'm sure they will improve in the months to come as they were eager to please. I would go back for their sangria, salad plates and special bread and stick to small plates.
- Lacking in serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/23/2014One of a kind dining exerpience. 1. Inexperienced server - forgot the names of recommended wines, forgot to tell us about the specials 2. Main courses immediately after we received our salad/soup appetizers 3. My main course, salmon, was raw on the inside. When I told our server, he said 'that's how our chef intended it to be, it's seared, but i'll give him your feedback'. My friend had to ask him to take it back to cook it through. He game back later with the same piece of salmon, now cooked. 4. Prices - Vegetarian tagine at $19. Server recommended a bowl of couscous for $5 since the tagine had no side carb. 5. Charged our credit cards incorrectly (wrong table's bill), multiple voids, then incorrectly charged our requested split