8 Church St
Dorset, VT 05251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dorsetinn.com/
- Phone: (802) 867-5500
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Serving daily 8:00 - 10:00am
Lunch: Serving Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Serving nightly 5:30 - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Gatewood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dorset Inn
Dinner at The Dorset Inn…always a treat! All of us here love food and enjoy sharing that with you. The warm and welcoming ambiance of the historic red dining room, cozy New England tavern and al fresco dining on the front porch allows guests to relax and enjoy the food, the wine and the friendly hospitality. As a member of Vermont Fresh Network, we support as many local farms and businesses as possible. Our cuisine is an uncomplicated, bistro-style that demonstrates classic culinary techniques and traditions with regional influences and reflects the freshest ingredients available. To showcase Vermont’s four unique seasons, the menu changes frequently.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Dorset Inn - Best Restaurants in Dorset ›
Dorset Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)special occasion (14)romantic (13)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- excellent food, recommend the duck....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014First visit requested thru open table ...a table that was away from other tables and more private.... which they accommodated......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableHikers4Dined on 10/4/2014We loved everything. Our meals were excellent from appetizers to desserts and the surroundings were elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were great!MikeDined on 9/1/2014We had the privalege of staying at the inn so we sample breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was some of the best we've ever had and diner was equally impressive. Nice selections, with well prepared locally sourced ingredients. We sat in the tavern/bar side with the locals and it was a little bit darker and cozy. Can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014Attractive restaurant with friendly, professional service in a historic building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuestVIPDined on 8/26/2014Always warm, welcoming and wonderful! Nuni is the best waitress in the state, perhaps, or maybe the universe, and the reason we all keep returning - a true treasure. Of course the great food plays a part as well. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a gem in DorsetBarbDined on 8/13/2014the Dorset Inn offerers a sophisticated menu in an odd the beaten path location. Historic and charming, the village of Dorset is lovely and unbelievably picturesque. It is noted for its beautiful bucolic settings and in the summer, flowers abound wherever you turn. The Inn offers gracious dining as well as a vibrant bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnerRuperteerDined on 8/7/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday in a charming setting. Began with cocktails in the bar, followed by a wholesome dinner -- nothing fancy but well prepared and served. Accepted the waiter's wine recommendation - spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceMashaDined on 8/1/2014Strongly recommend this place. Love the atmosphere. Food made with local ingredients. Very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dorset Inn is specialcjbenjVIPDined on 7/24/2014Choose between the informal tavern setting at a table or at the bar, or the lovely more formal dining rooms. You can order anything from a burger to a fine, delicately prepared fresh fish or a delicious grilled steak. The service is lovely and the restaurant is located on the picture perfect Dorset green in a centuries old inn. It does get pricey since everything is a la carte - but it's very special so we bring our out of town guests.Special Features:
- The following 43 reviews are from the Dorset Inn reviews archive.
- GuestVIPDined on 7/17/2014A warm welcome, a delicious dinner and prompt and friendly service. A wonderful spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VT BreakfastEllenVIPDined on 7/8/2014The Dorset Inn is a wonderful place for a relaxing breakfast. The Garden Room is an especially nice place to start the day.Special Features:
- Charming Dorset innLocalgemDined on 6/2/2014The village of Dorset is charming and quaint. The restaurant at the Inn is also. Good food. Pretty dining room. Good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFanaticVIPDined on 5/29/2014Hope it never changes!! The staff, the building, the kitchen are perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GuestVIPDined on 5/18/2014The Dorset Inn is a wonderful, welcoming place with really delicious food. The service makes you feel like one of the family, and the menu offers everything from a hamburger to sophisticated seafood entrees. All this in an authentic Vermont country inn set in a picture perfect town - a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dorset InnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014A very nice and relaxing brunch . The service was excellent and the food , just perfect , in a typical New England environment on a cool Sunday afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried and TrueFoodFanaticVIPDined on 4/20/2014The Dorset Inn has never failed us. This visit was for Easter dinner, and even though they surely had been working like made for the Easter brunch crowd, the welcome and the food was as wonderful as we could have wished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatLucilleDined on 4/20/2014The food and ambience at the Dorset Inn never disappoint. From the martinis to the dessert, everything is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter brunchAzulaLaMerDined on 4/20/2014Nice selection of items, including something appropriate for my gluten-free, dairy free husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/28/2013this might be the best southern vermont restaurant out there. Food is to die for- all fresh, well prepared, well presented, great drink list. Could not recommend more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dorset InnDuncanDined on 12/25/2013this is a charming space. they obviously care about the quality of the food and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Loved Dorset InnLucilleDined on 11/2/2013My husband and i as well as our very close friends all celebrated out anniversary at the Dorset Inn. The food was delicious, the service outstanding and the Inn is just beautiful! We loved it so much, we reserved it for Thanksgiving dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDarleneRDined on 10/13/2013The Dorset Inn was highly recommended by friends and it had taken us some time before we were able to get to Vermont. We had thought it would be comparable to the Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck, New York but it fell short of our expectations, as did the food. We found the food to be quite pricey, considering the quality.
- Vermont classicDiDiDined on 10/12/2013Beautiful restaurant for authentic Vermont atmosphere, food and service. Perfect location if you are going to the Dorset Theater - within walking distance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulFoodFanaticVIPDined on 9/5/2013From the moment you are greeted until the moment you say good-bye, it's a great dining experience. Wonderful locally sourced food is prepared and presented beautifully. I wouldn't change a thing!Special Features:
- It was overall a bad experience.HooverDined on 8/21/2013It was overall a bad experience. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Cold mashed potatoes. My wives entree was basically a $24.00 house salad with 3 falafal balls. the Inn cliamed all of the listed items were on the dish. They were wrong! Save money go to anther restaurant that is better operated.When we expressed our disatisfaction through a comment card. The Inn emailed us back telling us that we were wrong that all of the menu items were on the plate. They were not and as a chef of 25 years a know what feta cheese and olives look like.
- Almost missed the show4gettheserviceDined on 8/20/2013The food wasn't bad at all. But our waitress almost made us miss the show. I explained that we had a 7 o'clock show. But at 6:55 we still didn't have our bill. And we arrived at 5:30. And we did not have time for coffee or Desert. The food was very good. But the service gave Me indigestion! So what I ended up with was a very High priced stomach ache.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top SpotMediocrityDined on 8/3/2013Recently a group of us dined at the restaurant prior to going to the theater. The dining room had the warm feel of a country inn. The greeting and the service was friendly and efficient. The food was excellent...lick your plate good. Can't say enough good things. Too bad it is four hours from where I live.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Dorset Theatre RestaurantEllenVIPDined on 7/25/2013Very enjoyable pre- Dorset Theatre dinner. We parked our car at the theatre and walked to and from the Dorset Inn.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Dorset PlayhouseLadyFromRyeDined on 6/29/2013Had dinner there before a play. Although the curtain was at 8pm the restaurant recommended we dine at 6 instead of 6:30 as we preferred. Since the service was on the slow side it was bettter that we allowed more time. I had the lobster mac and cheese -- just ok, not terrific. Had room for dessert and tried a spice cake that the waitress recommended. It was very good although there was no taste of the fruit that was supposed to be in it based on its name. The room was very crowded. I will try somewhere else for dinner next time I go to the Dorset playhouse. The play was excellent, by the way :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of a kind serverlocaldinerDined on 6/20/2013Being waited on by our server would have made the experience worthwhile all by itself. A long term employee with a Vermont charm that cannot be described, simply has to be experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulLibbbyDined on 5/25/2013The meal and service was wonderful. Would definitely go back. A special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed a delicious EasterFoodFanaticVIPDined on 3/31/2013Enjoyed a delicious Easter dinner here. The special Easter brunch buffet had ended but there were dinner specials and the ever wonderful regular menu. We usually enjoy eating in the Tavern Room, but it was full so we ate in the simple elegance of the main dining room. There was a fire burning in the fireplace and wonderful service. We've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- My daughter & I come to VTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013My daughter & I come to VT every year for our spring break 'chick trip!' This year is our 9th. We always have at least one meal at the Dorset Inn. A few years ago, the quality dropped dramatically. I found out they had a new chef and the transition was rough. We were disappointed for two years. We thought the Dorset Inn had lost its magic but decided to give it one more try this year. We're so glad we did! Our meal was delicious and the menu looked really good! Our server was lovely and the kitchen split our dishes for us (we said we were going to share two entrees). Everyone was really nice and accommodating. The ambience has always been wonderful and that hasn't changed! Now they just need to bring back some of their classic dishesSpecial Features:
- A perfect spot for a coldFoodFanaticVIPDined on 2/28/2013A perfect spot for a cold Vermont night. Fire was blazing; the service was welcoming and warm; the food was very good. We are never disappointed here.Special Features:
- This is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/1/2013This is one of our favorite restaurants in Vermont. Unfortunately we don't get to come here too often because we live in New Jersey. The last time we were here was 5 years ago. The food was still excellent, the service great, and the atmosphere was wonderful! The host was so accommodating; He made us feel instantly welcomed and at home!Special Features:
- The temperature was 2 degreesFoodFanaticVIPDined on 1/24/2013The temperature was 2 degrees F. However, there was nothing cold about the atmosphere inside the Dorset Inn. We were given a very warm greeting from the receptionist, who led us into the Tavern Room (which we had requested) where a warm fire was blazing. (There was also one in the dining room) The food was delicious and the service friendly. The only thing to complain about was not being able to simply leave the table and climb into bed upstairs. It is worth the 30 minute drive to enjoy such hospitality.Special Features:
- My daughters and I recentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013My daughters and I recently celebrated a birthday in this picture-perfect Vermont inn. The restaurant's ambiance was quaint and charming. The food was delicious, great wine selection and the service top notch.Special Features:
- Lovely spot and excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/6/2013Lovely spot and excellent food. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- New England TreatMrBlzVIPDined on 12/17/2012Dinner at this 1796 new england inn was just extrodinary. The flavor and presentation were outstanding. A wonderful treat. The pub is also very lovely - warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- always enjoy coming to theNancyDined on 12/1/2012always enjoy coming to the Dorset Inn, especially at holiday time.