Doris & Ed's
348 Shore Drive
Highlands, NJ 07732Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Doris & Ed's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dorisandeds.com/
- Phone: 7328721565
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Donohoe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Doris and Ed's offers several catering options. Please contact Jim Filip, Cindy Fligor, or Thomas Donohoe with inquiries.
- Special Events: -Join our mailing list for free Birthday Lobster promotions. -Sundays are BYO Wine evenings. -Wine dinners throughout the year. -Carryout is available
A word from Doris & Ed's
Revered for years as one of New Jersey's best restaurants, Doris & Ed's has been honored with countless prestigious dining awards, national recognition, featured television segments and acclaimed reviews from the New York Times, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, New Jersey Monthly, The Star Ledger and more. Now, in our 33rd year, we're better than ever before - with fresh new tastes, a completely updated décor and renewed commitment to bring you the finest dining experience in the tri-state area. Offering distinctive views of the Navesink River and Sandy Hook, our refined setting was once home to a nineteenth century hotel attracting honeymooners, seafarers, and New York's elite summering at the Shore. Today, epicures, wine enthusiasts and foodies from all walks of life are drawn here to enjoy memorable occasions and everyday delights. As owner/operator, Jim Filip and his landmark seafood restaurant have become living legends in the culinary world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doris & Ed's reviews from OpenTable diners
- I was disappointed this time.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2011I was disappointed this time. Food was just okay. The King crab legs with my meal were small, salty, and fishy. I have had snow crab legs much bigger then those. For their prices and reputation, It should have been much better.
- Fabulous Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2011This is the best resaturant at the Jersey Shore. My lobster was fantastic, my companions meal from the "new menu" was delicious. I recommend it highly. As frequent diners, we have noticed a drop in quality and service in the summer at Jersey Shore eztablishments, but not at Doris and Ed's. it is as wonderful as it was my first time there, 30 years ago.Special Features:
- Good food / very noisy / ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2011Good food / very noisy / ambiance was not romantic / too bright insideSpecial Features:
- I hadn't been there in 10travler153VIPDined on 8/19/2011I hadn't been there in 10 years, and now I remember why. It's just ok. No longer anything special. Service was mostly by kids, not polished pros. Food was good, not great.
- We have been coming here forpkaampsDined on 8/18/2011We have been coming here for 20+ years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Maybe the worst meal I everLuvagoodmealVIPDined on 8/18/2011Maybe the worst meal I ever had at any restaurant. The wine list had $15 bottles of wine for $60. Would never go back.
- The menu had the perfect numberOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2011The menu had the perfect number of choices. The hardest part was choosing which one to order. We each ordered different items and each one was better than the next. It's a little expensive as a la carte but they also offered a 3-for-$30 (appetizer, dinner, dessert) which was a great deal.Special Features:
- Although we sat by the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011Although we sat by the kitchen entrance (our choice) our dinner was wonderful. We had 8 pm reservations and did have to wait about 15-20 minutes for our table, it was very crowded, even the bar was packed and people were not just drinking but eating. Hostess kept us apprised of when our table would be ready. Bar staff was very good as was our waitress and table staff. Menu had excellent choices. We have been going for my birthday the past few years, wish we could go more often, but it is just a little too pricey for us to make it a more regular stop, but nonetheless, it is a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- A bit out of the way for me,cyndyrellerDined on 8/10/2011A bit out of the way for me, but had a very nice family dinner. Not too crowded on a week night. An older crowd.Special Features:
- A wonderful culinary experience.SteveDined on 8/7/2011A wonderful culinary experience. A varied menu of seafood and other meats made finding a meal worth eating simple. Service was excellent. We all came away satisfied and would return happily. The meal was a bit pricey but you certainly got a very fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Doris&Ed's did not disappoint.PabloDined on 8/6/2011Doris&Ed's did not disappoint. We were seated immediately for our 6:30 reservation and had attentive but not intrusive service for the entire meal. Our friends enjoyed the soft shell crabs-BLT, the B being pancetta, the L arugula, and the T heirloom tomatoes stacked next to the crabs. My wife had scallops "to die for" and I had the halibut a la plancha. The $35 bottle of 2008 Tramin Pinot Grigio (Italy) enhanced the meal. The only thing that could improve Doris&Ed's would be better chairs. BTW, Google maps incorrectly has Doris&Ed's in Atlantic Highlands, but correctly maps it in Highlands, NJ.Special Features:
- This was not our first timenicknamelessDined on 8/6/2011This was not our first time dining at Doris and Ed's. But, I'd give it three P's: pricey, professional and pleasing. We will return for special occasions.Special Features:
- Went to Doris and Ed's onOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2011Went to Doris and Ed's on Saturday Night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Everything was fantastic. My wife had the twin lobster tails and I had the seafood combo. The food was cooked to perfection. This is one of the best seafood restaurants that we have been to. The service was great and so was the atmosphere. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- .No scenic view. Not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2011.No scenic view. Not very accomodating to the diner. Grossly overrated. Would never recommend to anyone under 70 years old. Everything ala carte and not worth the price. I could have a better seafood dinner down the shore. Which is where I headed this Saturday, July 30th.
- Nice litte findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/29/2011The appitizer and entre were excellent. I had cerviche and the salmon. For dessert I had the peach tart, it had been reheated in the microwave, the crunchy topping was soft and mushy. The view, a parking lot and then the bay. The tables are VERY close to one another.Special Features:
- Great food, interesting menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2011Great food, interesting menu. Waiter was a little aloof. Blueberry crumble as some horrible gelatinous filling. The river view is just beautiful. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Not worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2011The food was the best part of the experience -- and it was only good, not great. We were seated at a table in a hallway next to the bar. It was noisy and crowded. Overflow from the bar meant that we had people standing immediately behind us the whole dinner and my chair was bumped frequently as people tried to make their way closer the the bar. Service was indifferent at best. The waiter was always looking somewhere else when she was talking to us -- not that we completely blame her, the noise from the bar was very distracting. We do not need to go back here again, but if we do we will insist on a table near the windows, If we can't get one, we will leave.
- had reservation at 7:45,didntOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2011had reservation at 7:45,didnt sit till almost 9pm, they overbooked, they take reservations @ the bar which is ludicrious, where are you supposed to sit and wait and have a drink while you wait over a hour for your table, i heard a lot of good things about Doris and Ed's ,my response to them is "really",food is average at best.I noted it was my wife's bday, they made no attempt to cater to us. The view is great,wine selection is above average,but do you really need to take reservations at the bar. come on!
- Not as good as the originalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2011Not as good as the original Doris and Ed's. Probably will not go again.Special Features:
- THE FOOD WAS REALLY REALLYOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/16/2011THE FOOD WAS REALLY REALLY GOOD, DRINKS WERE GREAT-LOVE THOSE BLUE CHEESE STUFFED OLIVES IN THE MARTINIS, AND THE SERVICE WAS BETTER THAN USUAL. WE HAVE BEEN HERE AT LEAST TWICE BEFORE BUT THIS WAS THE BEST BY FAR, OVERALL, ESPECIALLY THE FOOD!!Special Features:
- We have been regulars hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2011We have been regulars here for years and have always enjoyed our evening and meal. Stay away from the Yesteryear menu and explore the right side of the menu. I hd a friedn who I sent here who told me the food was just OK. When I asked him what he ordered he told me the fried fish combo platter!!! Go to Seaside if you want fried fish. Explore the menu, order some oysters, get a good bottle of wine and order one of the creative entries. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Jim Filip is a gem. We neededOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2011Jim Filip is a gem. We needed some help in selecting a wine and he enjoyed helping us as much as we enjoyed the wine, which was great.Special Features:
- Not what was expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2011We had an 8 o'clock reservation and arrived about 7:10 intending to have a cocktail at the bar before being seated for dinner. After a curt greeting we told the maitre'd that we would like to go to the bar and were first told all of the seats at the bar that were reserved for 8 o'clock before reluctantly being told which seats we could have. We should have simply been shown to the seats that were available. The martini was perfect, the bartender professional, the barmaid friendly and the view terrific. At eight we were frostily shown to our table. The food was well prepared but unimaginitive. The wine list was interesting. The waiter was helpful and unobtrusive. The hard surfaces made for a very noisy dining room,not a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Would definitely recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/15/2011Would definitely recommend Doris and Ed's. Superb.Special Features:
- Not for the budget cautious,ZukopackerDined on 7/14/2011Not for the budget cautious, but definitely for foodies. Been going for many years usually to celebrate a special occasion, sometimes just for stress relief. Absolutely top seafood. Always feel great after dining here.Special Features:
- Disappointed with this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2011Disappointed with this restaurant. It's on the water, but what you see from large windows is a large gravel parking lot & cars. The water is past this.
- food good and so was service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2011food good and so was service. Only complaint was amount of alcohol bill. Seems out of proportion to food bill.Special Features:
- Terribly overpriced. EntreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2011Terribly overpriced. Entrees come with no sides and the wait staff didn't tell us that. the caesar salad lettace was wilted. Peach cobbler was gummy and served with a rasberry-lemon sorbet which was melting and made no flavor sense anyway.
- Our dinners were outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/9/2011Our dinners were outstanding. We loved the corn chowder with lobster salad and truffle oil - not heavy and truly delicious. The soft shell crabs were perfect - served with arugula and pancetta. It was nice to be there before dark to enjoy the view.
- Honored reservation - seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011Honored reservation - seated right away. Food was very fresh - nice presentation. Service was very slow. We waited at least an hour for our main course, however the staff kept coming over to see if there was anything else we wanted and apologized for the kitchen being backed up with orders. We were greeted with a champagne toast for our anniversary. Since it was my husband's "special birthday year" the waiter came over with complimentary sorbet and a scoop of ice cream lit with a candle. This made our dinner celebration all that more special. We highly recommend Doris and Ed's. It's a great place for that special celebration in your lives.Special Features:
- It seems the restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/2/2011It seems the restaurant was a little overwhelmed with guests without reservations. In the past, we have always had a table by the window, but this time we were told that eight people were ahead of us waiting for a window seat. I was surprised since we had a reservation, but regardless, we were seated at a table about 15 feet from the entrance. I found it very distracting as people were coming and going.Special Features:
- Doris & Eds never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2011Doris & Eds never disappoints. The food is delicious. All lobster fans must splurge on the butter poached lobster. It melts in your mouth!Special Features:
- Great dining on the Jersey ShoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/1/2011Excellent from start to finish. The Jersey Shore at it's bestSpecial Features:
- Doris & Ed's is by far oneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/30/2011Doris & Ed's is by far one of my favorite restaurants. The food is always amazing and the staff is top notch. Great place! Just love it!Special Features:
- Not alot for your moneyIzheDined on 6/30/2011We had a nice time as we sat in the room furthest from the view. That room was too noisy and therables were small and close together. Service was ok. Alot of people pitched in on the service but for a high end restaurant it was just not up to par. As for the food. Way expensive. $10 for a cup of lobster bisque. Certainly not worth it. In the end I had the price fix menu and no drinks. My date had two drinks and some very fresh lobster. She forgot to order the side. Wage had coffee. Forgot her appetizer and was $175 bucks. I know plenty of great restaurants where we can eat three times for that money. We won't be back. Go to the ATM first !!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2011Excellent food and service. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- I had soft shell crabs andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2011I had soft shell crabs and they were tinny,not worth the steep price of $32.The caesar salad was good. My husband had scallop scampi and said it was nothing special. His clam chowder was watery, We are not hard to please but I would not go back.Special Features:
- Great seafood by the seashorecarlylecatVIPDined on 6/25/2011Had a great meal, the black bass was one of the best pieces of fish I have had EVER! Great service, fun time, great wine!Special Features:
- Reliably good food offeringElsasolseatsVIPDined on 6/25/2011Reliably good food offering traditional favorites, modern takes on the classics, warm hospitality. Flexible, popular and fun.Special Features:
- Still on the A list for us!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2011Haven't been there for at least 10 years. After reading some of the negative reviews, I was leary of making a reservation but was certainly glad I did. The food and service was excellant. We both had seafood (Scallops and Salmon) which were superb! Clams on the half shell were the freshest I think I have ever had and the Ahi tuni app that my husband ordered was wonderful (and he is hard to please!). Salads were a bit of a disappointment (Caeser and House). Caeser dressing was not very flavorful and there was a bit much of it. House dressing was uneventful. However, desserts were yummy - bread pudding and creme brulee. Service was great. No hovering but there when needed. Will definately return to enjoy again this wonderful place.Special Features: