Don't Tell Mama NYC
343 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don't Tell Mama NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 757-0788
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Fri, Sat, Sun open until midnight. Lunch will be open for Special groups and parties (Reservations by Phone or Email).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Piano Bar has live music including singing acts done by the entire staff.
- Special Events: Please contact our special events coordinator, Limor Shekhter, for more information about private parties and special events. (212) 213-4485 x13, or email@example.com
A word from Don't Tell Mama NYC
Located on renowned Restaurant Row in the heart of New York’s Theater District. New American Cuisine with a world-class atmosphere and a seasonally changing menu offering the freshest ingredients resulting in something for every plate as well as choices of delicious desserts and a wonderful selection of fine wines. Piano Bar & Cabaret Rooms are also featured at Don't Tell Mama. Founded in 1982.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Don't Tell Mama NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Don't Tell Mama NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)late-night find (30)good for groups (23)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (18)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (13)hot spot (11)notable wine list (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- What a findTorontoLDDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I dined at Don't Tell Mama as I thought it would be a nice place to take her for her birthday. As it turned out, the food, service and pace of the meal were all excellent. We ordered a chicken and salmon dish from the prix fixe menu and they were both excellent right from the appetizer through to the desert. It was reasonably priced and had a good variety. A special shout out to our waiter Max who did a great job serving our food and made us feel like valued guests.. After our meal we went into the piano bar where we thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on a Tuesday night consisting of the pianist/singer Joe Regan and the bar team of Alison Foley, Elaine Brier and Paul Pilcz all made for a great evening. A must see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyableChillaquaDined on 6/17/2014Thoroughly enjoyed my meal here. Service was good, very attentive. Recommendations were worth it, drinks were good, not too strong or skimpy. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Very good food, service not so muchcacr1120Dined on 6/14/2014We had a large party and the restaurant was accommodating even when we added 2 more. We told them we had to catch a bus by 8pm and asked if it would be a problem as soon as we were all seated. We did not receive our food until 7:35 and had to inhale it and race to our bus. The waiter was very nice but too busy. We had to catch him to ask for drinks, which took awhile to get, my salad was never brought out and we received one basket of bread about 45 minutes after we sat down. The food was very good and the piano player was very entertaining. Because the food and entertainment were good, I would like to visit again when we have a smaller group and see if our service is any better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findCozmoDined on 6/14/2014I don't go to the city often so I had to search for a place for lunch before the theater. The reviews were good so we tried it. We were seated quickly at a nice table. Everyone in our party of 4 was thrilled with the service and quality of the food especially based on the very reasonable pre fix menu we selected. Overall excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls day out4girlsinthecityDined on 6/14/2014We headed to NYC on a bus trip ( Ted's Tours) for a fun filled girls day out to see "Kinky Boots". Ted sent us a restaurant list prior to our big day of places that he has been to or referred to by past trip passengers. So we decided on Don't tell Mama. The weather was beautiful so we opted to sit outside. Our waiter was Max. He greeted us with a nice friendly smile. The food presentation was wonderful and the service was fast. There were four in our party and everyone was very pleased with our experience there. We even made friends with the other diners around us.....who were also there to see the same show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumz the wordOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Found this cute place by walking down restaurant row. The hostess was very nice and knowledgeable of the menu. My waiter was very nice and gave me great suggestions. Had the crab pizza which was just delicious and a NY Strip which was cooked perfectly. Defiantly will be back again MAMASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at BestNMason33Dined on 6/7/2014The restaurant looked exiting and fun because of its caberet and bar, but the restaurant was nothing special. Skip the meal and head to the bar for the entertainment.
- GoodKimBryanDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the meal. Service was fast, seated quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food for not much $$BabsyDined on 5/30/2014DTM is a find especially for the pre-theater crowd. The food is always well-prepared and the service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carino e simpaticoGigiDined on 5/26/2014Separato dal locale dove si suona musica il ristorante Don't Tell Mama e' un posticino simpatico per una cenetta romantica. Il cibo e' di buona qualità' la carta non molto ampia, il servizio molto gentile.Special Features:
- No Entertainment or Live MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014I was hoping to hear music or be amused by the entertaining staff. However, neither was present during my dining experience. I was a bit disappointed; although the food was tasty but the salad was skimpy. Thank goodness for the Prix Fix menu as it was worth the $24.Special Features:
- MikeVIPDined on 5/24/2014It was ok, but there are so many good restaurants in NYC to go to some place which is just average. We were here for dinner only. We did not stay for the piano bar itself which looked like it could be fun. Go for the drinks and the music, but eat somewhere else.
- It was Great!LynnMDined on 5/23/2014The food and the service was excellent. We really enjoyed the food and everyone was really friendly. We all had a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- Great for pre-theaterPeteDined on 5/21/2014We greatly enjoyed our visit, prior to a show. Despite having a large group seated before us, our waiter made sure our food order was expedited to avoid delaying our getting to the theater on time. As a result, we were able to relax and enjoy the great food. Our waiter was quite responsive and pleasant. Food was good and reasonably priced, including the best pricing on a prix fixe meal we have found. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Love the piano barNYCtheatrefanDined on 5/17/2014Best time at the piano bar, you can request most any song from broadway to top hits and they usually can accommodate. Even more fun is that most if not all of the wait staff are also performers and sing and serve sometimes at the same time! Great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but...ShoegalDined on 5/17/2014The food was very good. Nice fish choices and good salads also, which are big enough for sharing. There was a price fixe offered, however, our server never mentioned this or offered it to us. We found out about it after dinner, when we saw a billboard advertisement outside of the restaurant. We felt that wasn't right! We would return because we did enjoy the food and the noise level was low, however, next time WE will ask about the price fixe deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Loved the setting on restaurant row. Small restaurant, but service was very nice. I was running late due to traffic and was so pleased to arrive and the restaurant had held my table. I did advise that I was running later. Everyone enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. I would come again before the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DickyDined on 5/15/2014The food was good, beautifully presented and not too expensive. The service was attentive all during the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2014Food was good and reasonably priced. Bread was a little tough without oil.Special Features:
- Mother!s day treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Food and service was great . Fixed price meal had good choices and generous portions . Meal was served at a nice pace . We sat outside which allowed us to enjoy the beautiful day and city atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice stopSiriusVIPDined on 5/10/2014Pleasant happy hour specials; super friendly staff; food very appealing and eclectic; cabaret is a gem Make a stop and be surprised!Special Features:
- Good food, fun piano barNanMDined on 5/7/2014We had dinner in the restaurant first and really enjoyed our meal. We had sliders, crab cakes and clams prosillipo as appetizers. And for dinner we had the Chilean sea bass, the halibut and the Marsala chicken busicuit. It was all delicious. Our waiter was very attentive and the ambiance was perfect for dinner conversation. After our meal, around 9pm, we moved over to the piano bar next door and what a treat that was. Bartenders and servers are friendly, fun and talented. The piano player engaged the crowd the minute he sat down. He played all sorts of great songs and everyone was encouraged to sing along. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014i picked this restaurant from restaurant row with my fingers crossed. i was looking for a place to eat prior to a broadway show. pleasantly surprised, the food was excellent portioned perfectly and the service was great. really cute cozy spot for couples night.Special Features:
- Great pre-show spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014It's small, so reservations are a must. We all had italian dishes and they were excellent. There are a few tables on the "front porch" ~ we sat there and liked being outside watching the hustle. Service was fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, fast servicePragmaticGourmetDined on 5/2/2014We were staying there as a group of 16 and could be accomodated all together at the same table. We choose a menu prix fixe, which was quickly served and very delicious. The portions are rather small compared to the US standard. The waiter was very attentive, but sometimes a bit too eager in taking the half-empty plates away, which made us feel a bit rushed. Overall I can really recommend this place, if you want delicious food, in an intimate atmosphere and relatively quickly served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre theaterLindaroseDined on 5/2/2014I was skeptical after reading a negative review, but I am glad I went. My daughter and I went for a pre theater dinner and we were not disappointed. We both had the market salad which eats delicious and the pan fried salmon which was perfectly prepared. It was part of the prix fixe menu for $28 and came with a choice of dessert. I had a warm walnut brownie which was the best I ever had. The hostess was very warm and friendly and our waiter was attentive. We ate outside which made for a quiet perfect dinner.Special Features:
- Super cute and cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014We just loved this place. The restaurant was super cute and cozy not like most places that are huge and loud. Menu had such a great variety didn't need to go anywhere else. They had everything. Service was great all of the waiters are so friendly and accommodating. Food was delicious and perfect.. amazinnngggg garlic bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Pre or Post theater fooddrjayDined on 4/29/2014Ate here before seeing a broadway show. Food was delicious, and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Great pre-theater place to eat. Staff is super nice and the host was very friendly. Food was so yummy and the cocktails were delicious. I will be back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Nothing bad about the place at all. Pleasant service, we were seated right away, service was timely and food was fair. Nothing outstanding....just good enough.
- Resist the temptation to eat here.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Tried this place for something different. Truly disappointing. Food was nothing special. Almost felt out of the bottle. Noisy. Water service was good but service generally was uninspired. Expensive for what you get. Drinks are also expensive. Just try to avoid this place given the choices of places to eat in the theater district.
- Disappointed!4disappointedpeopleDined on 4/20/2014The restaurant side is very tiny. Only about 40/50 people could fit so reservations a must. Staff was friendly but it didn't make up for the disappointments. This is the only restaurant I've ever been where they don't put a basket of bread on the table prior to ordering. In fact the only bread basket was the appetizer we ordered, garlic bread. There wasn't even enough for the four of us! Then dinner came. Chicken piccata was small, dry and tasted microwaved. Chilean sea bass had absolutely no flavor! I suspect it was frozen and then heated. Maybe the shrimp fra diavalo was okay but who could tell with all the sauce and little shrimp. No complains for plain pizza.
- Great night out!TonyVIPDined on 4/19/2014We walked by early in the afternoon, peeked in the restaurant and was greeted by Ellen a bartender. We had a great talk and decided to make our reservations on Open Table for 11:00pm, because of Ellen. We arrived and were again greeted by a friendly staff member. The place was winding down for the evening but could not be more attentive. We had three Salmon entree's and one Lobster Ravioli all were wonderfully cooked and presented. We also had cocktails and beer. Pricing was very reasonable. We will go back. Ellen thank you for a great recommendation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I won't tell MamaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/19/2014What a disappointment. From the Open Table description I was expecting Ellen's Stardust Diner with sophisticated food. Not only was there no singing but the food was horrible. My husband's fish and my daughter's scampi were like rubber. I will not tell mama.
- Nice find!Yum3Dined on 4/15/2014Great food & service followed by a fun time in the piano bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014The ambiance was nice but we were told when the waiter first arrived that they didnt have the pizza and also had no other bread since their bread delivery did not arrive that day.
- Pre- or Post- Theater Place1marylandDined on 4/14/2014We were there for an early dinner before a 7:00 show in their adjacent lounge. Only one other table was occupied, so it was very quiet and service on the ball. Food was tasty, nothing out of this world. Prices typical of NYC. Excellent location near Broadway theaters.
- we went early last SundaynangudDined on 4/13/2014we went early last Sunday after a matinee. The restaurant was very quiet with not much activity. There was a new waitress but we couldn't even tell she was new until she told us at the end of the meal. My chicken was okay. My son's short ribs were delicious and my husband's salmon was very good. Did not have dessert. Drinks were tasty, beer was cold.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My thanks for a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014My thanks for a great experience on Saturday with our bus full of 37 people. Everyone has continued to give high praise for the meals, especially the sea bass. Our wait staff was terrific and we thank you! Eileen KSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first visit!ketaVIPDined on 4/8/2014This was my first time at this restaurant & I really enjoyed it. I will return & the next time, I want to go into their bar area after eating so I can hear the music & singers who our waiter told me were aspiring Broadway actors. My food was great & so was my dessert which was tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.