Don't Tell Mama NYC
343 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don't Tell Mama NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 757-0788
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Fri, Sat, Sun open until midnight. Lunch will be open for Special groups and parties (Reservations by Phone or Email).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Piano Bar has live music including singing acts done by the entire staff.
- Special Events: Please contact our special events coordinator, Limor Shekhter, for more information about private parties and special events. (212) 213-4485 x13, or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Don't Tell Mama NYC
Located on renowned Restaurant Row in the heart of New York’s Theater District. New American Cuisine with a world-class atmosphere and a seasonally changing menu offering the freshest ingredients resulting in something for every plate as well as choices of delicious desserts and a wonderful selection of fine wines. Piano Bar & Cabaret Rooms are also featured at Don't Tell Mama. Founded in 1982.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Don't Tell Mama NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Don't Tell Mama NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)late-night find (32)special occasion (24)good for groups (23)romantic (18)fit for foodies (18)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (14)hot spot (12)notable wine list (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- We had a wonderful lunch andsunfunDined on 9/12/2010We had a wonderful lunch and the waitress was most accomodating. Great experience, I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- This restaurant came highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2010This restaurant came highly recommended by our concierge, so perhaps our anticipation was too high. We were very disappointed with this restaurant. It was certainly busy (for a Monday) but not enough to excuse the poor service. Our appitisers took ages to come, then one of these was wrong and had to go back. Having eaten our appitisers seperately, we then waited a further half hour before the entrees came. One of these bore no resemblence to the meal detailed on the menu, but having waited so long it was not worth sending it back again. Finally, when the check came, they had got that wrong too, and it had to be sorted out by the manager - so another long wait. All in all very disappointing.Special Features:
- Food was good. Service wasdinendinerVIPDined on 8/18/2010Food was good. Service was poor, nice people but slow between bringing appetizer , entree and dessert. Had to ask for check.
- small but sweet, reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2010small but sweet, reasonably priced 3 course selection menuSpecial Features:
- This has to have been theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2010This has to have been the worst dining experience I have ever had in New York City. First the restaurant cancelled my reservation twice and when I tried to contact them they did not answer my eamil and they do not answer the phone or take voicemail messages. Second the food was very close to inedible. I ordered a salad and asked for NO bacon - there was a lot of bacon in the salad. My fish was overcooked and the mushrooms (at least I think they were mushrooms) were vinegar soaked and inedible. There was some kind of glaze on the plate- horrible and the fish was surrounded by little hard dough balls. The fusiili with cheese had no taste of cheese and was dry - yuck!
- WE HAD A PLEASANT TIME, GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2010WE HAD A PLEASANT TIME, GREAT SERVICE,GREAT FOOD,GREAT DRINKING EXPERIENCE IN THE PIANO BAR WITH GREAT LIVE MUSIC,THE SEPARATE DINING ROOM WAS QUIET AND COMFORTABLE FOR OUR ROMANTIC DINNER.Special Features:
- They charged for a secondJLefVIPDined on 8/5/2010They charged for a second cup of coffee. Sodas were filled half way. The waitress was barely there. The Prix fix for theatre was reasonably priced. I wouldn't rush back.
- I have to say, I really enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2010I have to say, I really enjoyed it! As we were passing by, we were greeted by a delightful hostess. The waitstaff was knowledgable on the menu and seemed to really care about how we were doing. I went with my husband as we were celebrating a special occasion. We really loved the food. We were not expecting so much from this tiny gem. We are certainly coming back! Thank you!Special Features:
- I had lunch here, and it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2010I had lunch here, and it was awesome! I chose this place because it is in one of my favorite neigborhoods in Manhattan. I went with a friend I have not seen in a very long time and it was perfect. Just the right atmosphere...intimate enough for us to talk and catch up. The prefixe also fit in my budget...the food was the best part besides the service...I am so coming back.Special Features:
- This place is an awesome find...theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2010This place is an awesome find...the food was great, the service was impecable! We really enjoyed ourselves...the staff was knowledgable of the food and wine and they really made us feel welcome. We will def be back again.Special Features:
- this is the second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2010this is the second time at DTM restaurant, the food is excellent as well as the atmosphere and service. we had a great time and we will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- I was expecting the dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2010I was expecting the dinner tables to be set around the entertainment. Did not know that the restaurant was in a different room. The food was delicious. Went to the piano bar in the other room after dinner. The entertainment was cheesy. Some of the singers were horrible. The speakers were right over our ears and the singers were singing way too loud for that little place. The concept was good, the service was good, but the guest who went up to sing, sang better than the hired help! Sorry, won't be coming back to visit this spot any time soon!Special Features:
- The excellent Prix Fixe packageChickieBVIPDined on 7/8/2010The excellent Prix Fixe package sort of made up for a lot of problems... It wasn't until about 15 minutes after we ordered, and after an inspection tour by the manager, that the waiter brought bread to our table. Then 3 plates of un-ordered food came to us. Finally, when the orders were sent back and corrected, one of us didn't get his meal until 20 minutes after the rest. Some accommodation should have been made for these errors -- an extra appetizer for the person who was waiting for his meal, an upgrade in desserts, anything to show concern for the errors. But when we got our food, we liked it. Would we go back? Not if we were on a tight schedule or trying to have a carefree dinner.
- I would recommend the prix-fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2010I would recommend the prix-fixe option for this restaurant based solely on my very limited experience here. I ordered off the regular dinner menu and the sliver of striped bass suffocated by sauce and some unpleasant mushrooms did not seem nearly as appetizing as the prix-fixe options I saw around me. The gnocchi was really tortellini but my greatest objection was the extremely limited amount of fish on my plate. What there was of the fish was tasty but miniscule. My dinner companion had a pasta dish that was, per his opinion, just okay. I really hate to bad mouth any restaurant at the moment unless it was really, extraordinarily bad. So I won't.Special Features:
- The minute you walk into thefoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2010The minute you walk into the place you can smell the mustyness! The halibit we ordered was a decent piece of fish but what I think was potatoes were old and in the sauce too long. Not a place I would every think of returning to, especially for the price we paid.
- The food was satisfactory. TheSbartVIPDined on 7/2/2010The food was satisfactory. The Manager was rude....there was a mix-up on the desert order and he was insistent on us paying for the desert. Most other establishments would have addressed the issue to the benefit of the clients.
- We enjoyed the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2010We enjoyed the restaurant. There were 4 of us and 3 ate from the Price-Fixe menu and our food all came at the same time, the 4th person's food came much later than the rest of the party's.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/23/2010The food was excellent and the service was good. The glasses of wine were pricey. There were two choices for dessert but they ran out of one by 11:30 am. That was a bit disappointed but I must say the one that was served was excellent.Special Features:
- The ambiance and decor ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2010The ambiance and decor of dtm was very nice. It felt very comfortable, welcoming, and the wait staff was very good. The prix-fixe menu was a bit limited. I didn't care for my chicken that much. The brownie desert was fair. My husband and friends had the lemon merengue, so so. I would definately try lunch or the music lounge, but don't think I would go for dinner again.
- I was shockingly suprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/19/2010I was shockingly suprised at how good the food was. The service was great. My waiter was there for everything I needed. We had a very enjoyable night dinning there and can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Was a good, reasonalbly pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/12/2010Was a good, reasonalbly priced post matinee stop before boarding the train to home.Special Features:
- This last visit was a realBabsDined on 6/8/2010This last visit was a real disappointment. We had been in 12/09 and it was amazing - so we were looking forward to a return visit. The Market Salad is superb - interesting ingredients and lightly dressed - yum. The problem was the special - the Mahi Mahi was overcooked and extremely salty. Although we didn't have it, the $22 3 course pre-theatre special is a great deal.
- It was great for pre theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/5/2010It was great for pre theatre for us. Cozy and nice. We did feel like the food was a bit salty?Special Features:
- dtm Dont Tell Mama was a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2010dtm Dont Tell Mama was a great preshow spot for dinner. Menu was a great mix of modern american dishes eSpecial Features:
- Gave me cause for worry when,MagsDined on 5/25/2010Gave me cause for worry when, on a Tuesday at 5:30PM, they were out of so many dishes (tuna tartare, tuna steak, crab salad). Not to mention no Pinot Noir by the glass. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality & quantity of the crabcake appetizer, the salmon main course and the Dijon chicken, as well as the mashed potatoes and asparagus. Food was very tasty, hot and it turned out to be a very nice meal.
- We had a wonderful pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/19/2010We had a wonderful pre-theater lunch. The food was good; the service prompt and friendly. The one problem was the noise and smell of traffic. The door is left open during lunch and the traffic is quite loud and the smell of exhaust was strong. I think they leave the door open to entice pedestrian traffic to peak in and perhaps dine but it will definitely discourage me from returning at lunch.Special Features:
- They advertise a prix fixeDeeGDined on 5/9/2010They advertise a prix fixe meal for $22.50, but on Mother's Day the prix fixe was $55. We didn't see anything on that menu to justify the price, so we ordered off the regular menu. The chef has a love of bacon, which appeared in almost every dish we ordered. Good, but too much a one note taste. The scallops were a little overcooked. Not likely to return when there are so many restaurants to try.
- I found the price fix menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010I found the price fix menu was very good......and choices were very good. Our food was excellent. This was my second time eating there before going to the show and I think it was a great place to eat with exceptional good food and attentive waiters...
- Unfortunately we never gotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2010Unfortunately we never got to eat there. We were having too much fun shopping. Your ratings don't give you that option.
- The restaurant was very accommodatiDoremommyDined on 5/7/2010The restaurant was very accommodating with our lateness due to traffic. After that though, the service was slow and the food was ordinary.
- Our experience at Don't TellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2010Our experience at Don't Tell Mama was mixed. The restuarant was hot, the dinner luke warm to cold and the main entree went to have was not available. Overall the restaurant was dissapointing. I will not go back. The Cabaret/Bar was fantastic... The service was exceptional, the prices reasonable and the crowd was extremely friendly. It was an incredible experience and will go again every time I am in NYC!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- I was there for a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2010I was there for a concert when the air conditioning broke down. The staff handled the problem (changing rooms and drink orders for 40-50 people) with amazing grace and efficiency. I was very impressed, and had a wonderful time, despite the problem.
- I came from Los Angeles toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2010I came from Los Angeles to visit New York, and I found this restaurant, it has a really good food and people is very nice. I recommend it.Special Features:
- Great place for pre-theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/24/2010Great place for pre-theatre dinner. Good bar with top shelf brands. Menu broad enough to appeal to most patrons.Special Features:
- This was a good choice forWoolyDined on 4/24/2010This was a good choice for a before theater meal. The $22 prix-fixe was certainly a great deal and included some nice choices, tuna steak and salmon among them. Smallish portions but certainly well worth the money and plenty of food for before theater. The service was pleasant and had no trouble at all getting us out in plenty of time without having to rush.Special Features:
- We were disappointed to findFarhills8VIPDined on 4/21/2010We were disappointed to find they were out of many items on the menu. The selection was moderate- food that we had was ok-plates were beautifully presented. Probably will try some place else next time.
- We enjoyed our meal at Don'tWWCitizenVIPDined on 4/16/2010We enjoyed our meal at Don't Tell Mama. If you're into truffles (black and/or white), there are LOTS of great selections on the menu. I got my fill of them; had a craving that was filled quite nicely. The wait staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and fast. There wasn't a lot of noise, either, which was great because we were with friends and wanted to chat. Also, heading to a Broadway show, this place was perfect, although, getting there before 6:30 is a good idea if you're a walk-in (we had a reservation). The place was fairly packed by the time we left. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The slowest kitchen in NewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2010The slowest kitchen in New York! 15 minutes for our appetizers to arrive, another 45 for the pastas, another 10 for the brownie desert...and we were the only 2 people there for lunch. The food is good if you've got all day.
- The menu selection and mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2010The menu selection and meal were both very disappointing.Special Features:
- While we had a nice meal here,RayUWSVIPDined on 4/10/2010While we had a nice meal here, their wine selection is basically non-existant (we were told that they're phasing out certain wines, but that's no excuse for not having new options).