Don't Tell Mama NYC
343 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don't Tell Mama NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127570788x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Fri, Sat, Sun open until midnight. Lunch will be open for Special groups and parties (Reservations by Phone or Email).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Piano Bar has live music including singing acts done by the entire staff.
- Special Events: Please contact our special events coordinator, Limor Shekhter, for more information about private parties and special events. (212) 213-4485 x13, or email@example.com
A word from Don't Tell Mama NYC
Located on renowned Restaurant Row in the heart of New York’s Theater District. New American Cuisine with a world-class atmosphere and a seasonally changing menu offering the freshest ingredients resulting in something for every plate as well as choices of delicious desserts and a wonderful selection of fine wines. Piano Bar & Cabaret Rooms are also featured at Don't Tell Mama. Founded in 1982.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don't Tell Mama NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)late-night find (24)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (15)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- ok for a quick bite.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food and service ok. Bit disappointed that having eaten here, the bottle of wine did not count to their 2 drink minimum for their bar next door. Overall dining at their restaraunt gains you nothing and is not that special so a bit misleading that you will get the same experience as their bar.
- good food and friendly serviceandi21Dined on 8/16/2014My best friend and I arrived for an early dinner. I ordered the ny strip and my friend, the penne a la vodka. It was great. My only complaint was their garlic bread. It had way to much going on. Otherwise service was prompt and my meal was delicious. I will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice for pre-theatre dinnerJaygeeDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed dinner here--a varied menu with something for everyone. Our waiter was friendly and attentive; salads and pasta quite good and not expensive. Special "Orangtini" was just ok. We were there before the theatre dinner rush (5:30) and the place filled up and got a little more crowded and noisy, but not in a bad way.Special Features:
- Just okdonna68Dined on 8/7/2014This restaurant was just ok. We spoke with the wait staff about my daughter's dairy allergy so a recommendation was made to change the sauce on the ravioli dish she wanted. When the plate was brought out, they had sprinkled it with cheese. :( A new plate was quickly brought out and my daughter loved the dish. I had a shrimp pasta dish and it was just ok.
- A++ FoodTaniniDined on 7/26/2014A group of us, celebrating a bachelorette party went to Don't Tell Momma's restaurant on Saturday night and all of us enjoyed our meals and dessert very much! Great little area surrounded by restaurants and entertainment. :)Special Features:
- Sliders were awesomeACEADined on 7/23/2014We had to move our first booking which was not a problem for this helpful restaurant. the food was huge portions and great quality. Good Menu something for everyone and very helpful staff. Nice location in a quiete brown stone street but in the heart of it ! We did think we would have access to some music or entertainment not sure if this is clear on bookingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old and TiredLocalDined on 7/19/2014This is an old NYC restaurant that has chosen not to update anything. Food was good and the bartender and waiter were very nice and accommodating, but the ambience was below normal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very good food and next door great bar scene. The shows are great also.Special Features:
- Here4uVIPDined on 7/19/2014ENJOYED OUR AFTER THEATER DINNER. FOOD WAS VERY GOOD AND SERVICE WAS TERRIFIC. WILL DEFINITELY RECOMMEND TO MY FRIENDS.Special Features:
- I've had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Although there was nothing WRONG with this restaurant, I've had better in NYC. Don't Tell Mama's fell a bit flat. The menu had standard fare, nothing unique or original. Sweet potato ravioli was tender-not drowned in sauce, but just missing that "oomph" to make the dish stand out among all of the Italian eateries on 46th street. My SIL indulged in the chicken picatta. Again, a good dish, but average in taste and presentation. I do commend the wait staff here, as our waiter was both attentive and attune to our wants and needs - never making us feel rushed, but accommodating other diners who were dining before attending an 8:00 pm show. Note: dining in the restaurant does NOT mean you get music or a discount on the cabaret or piano bar!!!
- Another good mealMoochieDined on 7/16/2014This was our second visit and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. Great drinks, good food and friendly waitstaff. Although the portions were a little small, it was a good value overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceHankDined on 7/9/2014We were seated promptly and the service was fine. We both chose the price-fixed menu, which was a bargain. The salmon and the talapia were very good. We would certainly go back when we are in the theater district.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014The service was very good but the food was mediocre at best. I had the guacamole as an appetizer and the Mama's salad as a main course - it would have been great except for the fact that the guacamole is discolored and most of the chunks of avocado were blace and the lettuce in the salad was not fresh - many of the greens were wilted and discolored.
- Awesome Piano BarRyanMPLSDined on 7/7/2014Food was really great, which was un expected considering we went for the entertainment aspect. Staff was great, and TALENTED. We had to make ourselves leave so we could get up early the next morning. Could have stayed there all night!Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service.MoMcDined on 7/5/2014We had a birthday dinner for 16 using the prix fixe menu of $28 per person (on a Saturday night in Manhattan!! It is $24 weekdays). It was incredibly reasonable! The restaurant is small and was not crowded over July 4 weekend, so we essentially had the place to ourselves. The Couscous & Chorizo Risotto, Dijon Marinated Chicken Breast and Sautéed Tilapia were all excellent. The service could not have been better. I would recommend "Don't Tell Mama to anyone" (and already have!) On a side note, the piano bar looked inviting in another room. I wish they did not have a 2 drink minimum in the bar because not everyone in the party drank alcohol. It would have been nice to finish the evening with music in the bar.Special Features:
- Great Dinner & CabaretMattyDined on 7/5/2014Phenomenal restaurant, our fourth visit in three years. We live in another State and we try to get to New York once a year and always stop at Don't Tell Mama's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to piano bar. Skip the food.KkassVIPDined on 7/2/2014The food was typical bar food. There are alot of better restaurants in NYC. I think people go for the piano bar which I've heard is good.
- Don't tell mamaBeanieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Enjoyed the meal, varied menu, very good service. A bit noisy but a fun atmosphere with tasty food, worthy of a second trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinner1AcsinkyDined on 6/27/2014Don't Tell Mama was able to accommodate us with a lovely outdoor table for dinner. The service was excellent and the food was very good! It's a great option for a pre-theatre dinner. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to sing at Don't Tell MamaMiracleman5678Dined on 6/26/2014I loved performing there back in the early 80's, I loved eating there, hanging out there and meeting friends there and especially after the theater and do you know what? I still do and it's 2014! I highly recommend this establishment especially to visitors & old New Yorkers like me returning to NYC!It brought back such fond memories and now I have a brand new fond memory. One I made and celebrated my twentieth anniversary with my husband, Casimero who, BTW, just adored the place, the ambience, the food, the service especially Roberto, the floor manager who made us feel right at home. He was terrific. Ask for Roberto when yo go there because you will not be disappointed at all by his personality and great service. Thanks for the memories !!!Special Features:
- Ok but just averageLoriVIPDined on 6/25/2014The good news is that they could Accomodate a party of 9 with only a couple of days notice. The food was mediocre and portions were small. Recommend the clams in white wine sauce and the garlic bread.Special Features:
- Dinner and showsmileDined on 6/24/2014The food and service was good. But we were disappointed that the dining room is kept separate from the piano bar and you cannot enjoy the performance while having dinner. Not a place for dinner and show. Better to just go for the show and drinks at the piano bar section.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceB4theShowDined on 6/21/2014Couldn't recommend this place high enough! Stopped by before the theater, had a great meal and enjoyed fabulous service. Oh yeah...you have to try the crab pizza...to DIE for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingMNtravelsDined on 6/21/2014Our group has a lot of food allergies and they were able to inform us of ingredients and don't make it seem like a hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Day in the City!FormerteacherVIPDined on 6/21/2014From the minute we got to the restaurant, we had great service from a delightful waiter. The food and the value were terrific from beginning to end. My friends from Massachusetts were thrilled! I have eaten there before so I knew how great it was and they definitely agreed! I will be back!Special Features:
- fave place to eat in nyck8conroyDined on 6/19/2014Hands down my fave place to eat in NYC. The garlic bread is the best I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little find.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014So happy we found this place. My daughter and I had such a great experience. The staff recommended great dishes and very attentive. My daughter took the 3 course prefix menu portions were just right and I have the feta crumble bruschetta which was so flavorful and the Duck which was cooked perfectly. We will be back.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnerLicriticDined on 6/18/2014Three of us had the 3 course pix fixe dinner before a 7pm show. Two of us ordered from the regular menu. The service was good and they asked our curtain time. The food was ok and moderately priced, but all the portions were very skimpy-- half the size of a normal portion elsewhere. Overall, a safe place to get a quick bite pre-theater if you want basic food at at fair price and portions that won't leave you stuffed before sitting 2 hours in the theater.Special Features:
- What a findTorontoLDDined on 6/17/2014My wife and I dined at Don't Tell Mama as I thought it would be a nice place to take her for her birthday. As it turned out, the food, service and pace of the meal were all excellent. We ordered a chicken and salmon dish from the prix fixe menu and they were both excellent right from the appetizer through to the desert. It was reasonably priced and had a good variety. A special shout out to our waiter Max who did a great job serving our food and made us feel like valued guests.. After our meal we went into the piano bar where we thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on a Tuesday night consisting of the pianist/singer Joe Regan and the bar team of Alison Foley, Elaine Brier and Paul Pilcz all made for a great evening. A must see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyableChillaquaDined on 6/17/2014Thoroughly enjoyed my meal here. Service was good, very attentive. Recommendations were worth it, drinks were good, not too strong or skimpy. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Very good food, service not so muchcacr1120Dined on 6/14/2014We had a large party and the restaurant was accommodating even when we added 2 more. We told them we had to catch a bus by 8pm and asked if it would be a problem as soon as we were all seated. We did not receive our food until 7:35 and had to inhale it and race to our bus. The waiter was very nice but too busy. We had to catch him to ask for drinks, which took awhile to get, my salad was never brought out and we received one basket of bread about 45 minutes after we sat down. The food was very good and the piano player was very entertaining. Because the food and entertainment were good, I would like to visit again when we have a smaller group and see if our service is any better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findCozmoDined on 6/14/2014I don't go to the city often so I had to search for a place for lunch before the theater. The reviews were good so we tried it. We were seated quickly at a nice table. Everyone in our party of 4 was thrilled with the service and quality of the food especially based on the very reasonable pre fix menu we selected. Overall excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls day out4girlsinthecityDined on 6/14/2014We headed to NYC on a bus trip ( Ted's Tours) for a fun filled girls day out to see "Kinky Boots". Ted sent us a restaurant list prior to our big day of places that he has been to or referred to by past trip passengers. So we decided on Don't tell Mama. The weather was beautiful so we opted to sit outside. Our waiter was Max. He greeted us with a nice friendly smile. The food presentation was wonderful and the service was fast. There were four in our party and everyone was very pleased with our experience there. We even made friends with the other diners around us.....who were also there to see the same show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yumz the wordOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Found this cute place by walking down restaurant row. The hostess was very nice and knowledgeable of the menu. My waiter was very nice and gave me great suggestions. Had the crab pizza which was just delicious and a NY Strip which was cooked perfectly. Defiantly will be back again MAMASpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at BestNMason33Dined on 6/7/2014The restaurant looked exiting and fun because of its caberet and bar, but the restaurant was nothing special. Skip the meal and head to the bar for the entertainment.
- GoodKimBryanDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the meal. Service was fast, seated quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food for not much $$BabsyDined on 5/30/2014DTM is a find especially for the pre-theater crowd. The food is always well-prepared and the service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carino e simpaticoGigiDined on 5/26/2014Separato dal locale dove si suona musica il ristorante Don't Tell Mama e' un posticino simpatico per una cenetta romantica. Il cibo e' di buona qualità' la carta non molto ampia, il servizio molto gentile.Special Features:
- No Entertainment or Live MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014I was hoping to hear music or be amused by the entertaining staff. However, neither was present during my dining experience. I was a bit disappointed; although the food was tasty but the salad was skimpy. Thank goodness for the Prix Fix menu as it was worth the $24.Special Features:
- MikeVIPDined on 5/24/2014It was ok, but there are so many good restaurants in NYC to go to some place which is just average. We were here for dinner only. We did not stay for the piano bar itself which looked like it could be fun. Go for the drinks and the music, but eat somewhere else.