Don't Tell Mama NYC
343 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don't Tell Mama NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 757-0788
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Fri, Sat, Sun open until midnight. Lunch will be open for Special groups and parties (Reservations by Phone or Email).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Piano Bar has live music including singing acts done by the entire staff.
- Special Events: Please contact our special events coordinator, Limor Shekhter, for more information about private parties and special events. (212) 213-4485 x13, or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Don't Tell Mama NYC
Located on renowned Restaurant Row in the heart of New York’s Theater District. New American Cuisine with a world-class atmosphere and a seasonally changing menu offering the freshest ingredients resulting in something for every plate as well as choices of delicious desserts and a wonderful selection of fine wines. Piano Bar & Cabaret Rooms are also featured at Don't Tell Mama. Founded in 1982.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Don't Tell Mama NYC - Best Restaurants in Theater District / Times Square ›
Don't Tell Mama NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)late-night find (31)good for groups (23)special occasion (23)fit for foodies (18)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (13)hot spot (12)notable wine list (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Had a terrific dinner with the wife. Food and service was spectacular. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/21/2014We booked at this Restaurant Row location just for pre-theater convenience and expecting the typical "tourist place" experience. Nice surprise! Superb food and service in a quiet and friendly space. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting placelaxmom17Dined on 11/20/2014Our first time there, didn't realize there were 3 parts...piano bar, cabaret and regular restaurant. Our dinner was great, huge portions. Next time we'll skip the dessert. We ordered the brownie which was delicious but the menu description said it was served with ice cream and triple think hot fudge. Well, there were 3 small spoonfuls of ice cream, didn't even equal a scoop (maybe they were running out!) and there was a drizzle of chocolate and caramel on the edges of the plate. So the dessert was totally not worth it, but the entrée was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a very cold night........JanetVIPDined on 11/18/2014And we walked in off the street and it was like walking into a cocoon, it was so warm and friendly and cozy!! The food was good, satisfying, presented beautifully. Vey fresh and appetizing. A decent wine selection, priced well. Our waitress was just right, friendly, helpful and efficient. I would go back, and bring friends . There was some kind of a club attached, which had live music, but not sure how they were related.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great date spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Saturday night, I was taken out by my date to this great spot. I had been here once before, after the theatre, several years ago. On both occasions, I had a really great time and very much enjoyed the music. This evening was definitely more special. As dates in New York City go, this place is prime for someone who loves Broadway, music, and a good crowd. I had a great time singing and laughing. It was also great to enjoy live music with great company. I would HIGHLY recommend this place to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BristolUKDined on 11/15/2014We booked table for our group at DTM following recommendation from our friends who visited NY recently and we were not disappointed. Good food, wonderful atmosphere and very talented staff entertained us till late hours on Saturday night. We really recommend this place if you are looking for effortless entertainment in a very friendly and welcoming place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to meet for dinner, good veg meals:)Nice2eatinNYCsometimesDined on 11/15/2014Butternut squash ravioli is nice with hint of nutmeg. Vegtarian friendly. Side salad just right ratios. My cousin had spaghetti which was a very generous bowl full which seemed to grow. Nice service. A bit loud- brick walls but overall really good. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Row FindHolidayHannahDined on 11/15/2014This was our first experience at Don't Tell Mama. Although it is known for its late night entertainment, we were in NYC for a day trip so tried it for lunch. We both had delicious salads with a lobster tail. The presentation was beautiful & the lobster was prepared perfectly. The only reason I did not rate the restaurant with 5 stars is because I asked for no corn on my salad & it came with corn!! Our server was extremely pleasant & even assisted us with directions to the theatre after lunch. I would recommend Don't Tell Mama for lunch or any other food/entertainment experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bou85626Dined on 11/8/2014Don't tell Mama's was a pleasant surprise. The food was fantastic. The wait staff were very good to assist with one of our friends gluten allergy and knew exactly what she could and couldn't have. Highly recommend it and would definitely go back. We didnot have time for dessert but it looked delious and one of the other patrons raved about their lemon pie!Special Features:
- Babs5332Dined on 11/5/2014We went to this restaurant after an afternoon matinee. It was too early for dinner , so we sat at the piano bar, where drinks were well priced for happy hour. The restaurant area was very warm so when we were asked to sit in a covered outside area( very small, only 2 tables, we accepted. The service was attentive & accommodating. We ordered from the prix fixe menu which had a few choices which were well prepared. We didn't care for either if the two dessert choices.
- Great placeBiturboDined on 11/2/2014Very good welcome. Very good food. Nice experience. I recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bones in seabassWontGoBackDined on 11/1/2014Very disappointed in the seabass and the short ribs entree was actually a pot roast with sauce put on it.
- Good food. Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Food was good and portion sizes were ample. I had the tilapia and shrimp; my wife had the trio of seafood. Both were good. This was a nice after theater find. Note: we were told that the piano bar does not get hopping until after 9pm.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I made a reservation for 10 as we were going to see a 2:00pm show. There was only one bartender who was also our server. No one else working! I was wondering if he was going to be the cook as well! Because they had advertised 9.99 unlimited Bloody Mary's and Mimosas, I thought he'd be prepared. He started making them one at a time. I suggested he make a pitcher to save time. OMG! We barely made it to the theater on time.
- Great time!CarlosCTJDined on 10/31/2014We heard about Don't Tell Mama's while having slate night cocktail at another venue and decided to check it out on a Friday night making reservations via Open Table. It's a great neighborhood located venue with very good food and service. We headed next door to their piano bar and had a great time. Highly recommend this place, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Tell Mama NYCbvn759Dined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed a delicious pre-theater meal. Staff was friendly and fun. We will definitely make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bennDined on 10/29/2014We had to be ask to moved from a noisy area and then put by a door which was cold. The restaurant was empty as well so no issue on were they could put us!!!Special Features:
- Tasty menu & reasonably-pricedDoreenMDined on 10/26/2014Very good for pre/post theater lunch or dinner. Comfortable seating & relaxed environment for an enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but okay experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I made a reservation for two for 8:30 on a Saturday night. We arrived at 8:20 but had to wait a few minutes for them to get our table ready. The table they gave us wasn't being used so I feel like it should have been ready for us even if we arrived early but perhaps I'm mistaken. Food was good, service was good. The pasta dishes don't line up in terms of portion sizes. The butternut squash ravioli is less than food than the penne a la vodka. The penne a la vodka could serve two people. I did like the ambiance of "Don't Tell Mama" since it was quiet and and intimate. I didn't feel like I had to yell in order to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do tell mamafoodiendeeDined on 10/24/2014We went there for dinner before a Broadway show,and we're pleasantly surprised to have the service be efficient and quick. A tad pricey but the food was good. It's a good place to have a pre or post Broadway date with your significant otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerJudiVIPDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I shared a very tasty salad as a starter. The salads are large and can easily be shared. I enjoyed butternut squash ravioli. It tasted like comfort food to me with a creamy white sauce and fresh parmesan. It is fresh pasta but not made in house. I was told it was made by the same business that makes their desserts. The restaurant portion of Don't Tell Mama is very small and below street level. They have several outdoor tables which would have been fun had they been available. The wait staff was very attentive and pleasant.Special Features:
- Spicy shrimpCLD1VIPDined on 10/21/2014Really great food and service. Had the spicy shrimp and pasta which was fabulous. Order the garlic bread!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinneroutfor2Dined on 10/19/2014Efficient service and good size servings. Dessert was delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is a lovely restaurant for before a show. The area is slightly overwhelming, but you cant tell once you're sitting down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!CarnivoreDined on 10/17/2014This was the best butternut squash I have ever had! I also had the Market Salad and it was very good! I would recommend this restaurant, I already have, to everyone. There is something on the menu for all food types.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 10/15/2014The service was excellent & the food was great. The warm mushroom salad is definetly worth coming back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuisineDiannVIPDined on 10/15/2014Consistently good, convenient to Broadway Theatres, courteous staff that offers good recommendations. Am a frequent diner here. Would like to see some better house wines on the menu. Otherwise I recommended highly.Special Features:
- Great on Second RoundmahvelousDined on 10/12/2014Visited and enjoyed DTM a few months back. Invited guests to celebrate an occasion with us there on Sunday - we were all impressed with the entire experience - ambience, food quality, wine list! We'll be b a c k!Special Features:
- Great time at Don't Tell Mama!WillCDined on 10/11/2014We had a group of 17 for dinner at Don't Tell Mama and it was a fantastic night. Evereyone raved about their meals and the service was terrific! The place has a very cool vibe and if you have time you need to stay for the Cabaret show or the piano bar where patorns can get up and belt out their favorite songs. We will definitiely be back again!! Don't Tell Mama is on our NYC Top 5 list!Special Features:
- Entertaining NightchaswegDined on 10/7/2014This combination restaurant, piano bar, cabaret location has a bit of everything. We only had dinner, which was very good, but you could make a night of it by taking in the cabaret show(s) of just enjoying small plates in the piano bar. I had the beef short rib entree. I did not use my knife it was so tender. The prices were reasonable considering the location is "Restaurant Row" in NYC. We will return to take in the show and have dinner again. It's a great place to fill a night while traveling.Special Features:
- make sure to reserve the table!kalim90Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant was recommended by my friend for a "piano bar"... but I was greatly mistaken. I visioned a restaurant with a piano in the center.. but the place was divided into two sides. There was a music/performance side of the restaurant- the "cabaret" side, where there are cover charges depend on the performer for the day between $15-25, and two drinks minimum. The restaurant side was just the restaurant with no "piano" (my bad) but good music playing over the speakers. My friend doesn't drink and we desperately needed actual food so we only were at the restaurant side. Food portions were very big, neither of us girls could finish our dish. Very delicious and definitely going back for the music! Staffs were nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOTS of talent at the piano bar!kmickey31Dined on 10/2/2014We went to Don't Tell Mama after a Broadway show on the night of our 10th anniversary! We had a blast at the piano bar! SOOOO much talent working there and the pianist on 10/2/14 was amazing! We arrived at 10pm and stayed for 2 hours! So much fun, good drinks, nice comfort food (who doesn't want sliders and grilled cheese and chips???). We'll be back and have already recommended to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartenderRickyDined on 10/2/2014Went to see Seth Rudesky and had a great time. This place really knows how to make great cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal at a Reasonable PricefivegrandsDined on 10/1/2014We enjoyed a 3 course prix fix meal that was good from start to finish. We had a personable and very helpful waiter and loved our dining experience.Special Features:
- Food not very goodVisitingDined on 9/27/2014The service was fine and everyone was pleasant but the food quality was mediocre.
- Had a Blast!NYgirlDined on 9/25/2014Our party of four had dinner reservations, then moved over to the Piano Bar for drinks. The entertainment was AMAZING!! We were there on a Thursday evening and the place was packed! The piano player and all three of the waitstaff were just awesome. The singing was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but less than greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2014We expected better. Took forever for food. The halibut was totally over cooked. The spaghetti dishes and sauces were not notable. Nice enough place overall and nice staff plus great proxity to evenings theater fun. But we won't return as like a better quality.
- Loved loved lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014This place was just fantastic. The hostess was so nice and accommodating Which made you feel welcomed and good about the place not like other restaurants where the hosts are cold and rude. The menu had a great variety of different foods. Could make a decision on the lobster ravioli or the duck glad the waiter suggested the duck. It was cooked to perfection. Will defiantly be back when in town again.Special Features:
- Good food - GREAT Entertainment!TNTravelerDined on 9/20/2014Went with my sister and her daughter during a recent trip to New York. Location right off of times square is awesome, food is very good (not fabulous, but very good), servicer was good. The real treasure is next door, though, in the piano bar. We had an absolute blast singing along!!Special Features:
- Not what it's made out to be.ParrDined on 9/19/2014Restaurant was fine reasonable service, reasonable food. Piano bar was not at all what it's made out to be. The night staff arrived at around nine and was notably rude to existing patrons, pushing people in to small corners and adding dozens of additional seats. Bar ends up overseated by at least 25 percent. Distinct impression is that night staff does not want the dinner patrons at the venue. This is a kids party shack, not a legitimate music venue. Restaurant alright for a meal, avoid the piano bar if you are over 25 and looking for entertainment.