Don't Tell Mama NYC
343 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don't Tell Mama NYC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donttellmamanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127570788x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Fri, Sat, Sun open until midnight. Lunch will be open for Special groups and parties (Reservations by Phone or Email).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: Piano Bar has live music including singing acts done by the entire staff.
- Special Events: Please contact our special events coordinator, Limor Shekhter, for more information about private parties and special events. (212) 213-4485 x13, or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Don't Tell Mama NYC
Located on renowned Restaurant Row in the heart of New York’s Theater District. New American Cuisine with a world-class atmosphere and a seasonally changing menu offering the freshest ingredients resulting in something for every plate as well as choices of delicious desserts and a wonderful selection of fine wines. Piano Bar & Cabaret Rooms are also featured at Don't Tell Mama. Founded in 1982.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don't Tell Mama NYC reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (28)special occasion (19)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (17)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (9)hot spot (7)notable wine list (6)scenic view (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Efficient service and good size servings. Dessert was delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This is a lovely restaurant for before a show. The area is slightly overwhelming, but you cant tell once you're sitting down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!CarnivoreDined on 10/17/2014This was the best butternut squash I have ever had! I also had the Market Salad and it was very good! I would recommend this restaurant, I already have, to everyone. There is something on the menu for all food types.Special Features:
- BarbaraDined on 10/15/2014The service was excellent & the food was great. The warm mushroom salad is definetly worth coming back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuisineDiannVIPDined on 10/15/2014Consistently good, convenient to Broadway Theatres, courteous staff that offers good recommendations. Am a frequent diner here. Would like to see some better house wines on the menu. Otherwise I recommended highly.Special Features:
- Great on Second RoundmahvelousDined on 10/12/2014Visited and enjoyed DTM a few months back. Invited guests to celebrate an occasion with us there on Sunday - we were all impressed with the entire experience - ambience, food quality, wine list! We'll be b a c k!Special Features:
- Great time at Don't Tell Mama!WillCDined on 10/11/2014We had a group of 17 for dinner at Don't Tell Mama and it was a fantastic night. Evereyone raved about their meals and the service was terrific! The place has a very cool vibe and if you have time you need to stay for the Cabaret show or the piano bar where patorns can get up and belt out their favorite songs. We will definitiely be back again!! Don't Tell Mama is on our NYC Top 5 list!Special Features:
- Entertaining NightchaswegDined on 10/7/2014This combination restaurant, piano bar, cabaret location has a bit of everything. We only had dinner, which was very good, but you could make a night of it by taking in the cabaret show(s) of just enjoying small plates in the piano bar. I had the beef short rib entree. I did not use my knife it was so tender. The prices were reasonable considering the location is "Restaurant Row" in NYC. We will return to take in the show and have dinner again. It's a great place to fill a night while traveling.Special Features:
- make sure to reserve the table!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant was recommended by my friend for a "piano bar"... but I was greatly mistaken. I visioned a restaurant with a piano in the center.. but the place was divided into two sides. There was a music/performance side of the restaurant- the "cabaret" side, where there are cover charges depend on the performer for the day between $15-25, and two drinks minimum. The restaurant side was just the restaurant with no "piano" (my bad) but good music playing over the speakers. My friend doesn't drink and we desperately needed actual food so we only were at the restaurant side. Food portions were very big, neither of us girls could finish our dish. Very delicious and definitely going back for the music! Staffs were nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOTS of talent at the piano bar!kmickey31Dined on 10/2/2014We went to Don't Tell Mama after a Broadway show on the night of our 10th anniversary! We had a blast at the piano bar! SOOOO much talent working there and the pianist on 10/2/14 was amazing! We arrived at 10pm and stayed for 2 hours! So much fun, good drinks, nice comfort food (who doesn't want sliders and grilled cheese and chips???). We'll be back and have already recommended to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bartenderRickyDined on 10/2/2014Went to see Seth Rudesky and had a great time. This place really knows how to make great cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal at a Reasonable PricefivegrandsDined on 10/1/2014We enjoyed a 3 course prix fix meal that was good from start to finish. We had a personable and very helpful waiter and loved our dining experience.Special Features:
- Food not very goodVisitingDined on 9/27/2014The service was fine and everyone was pleasant but the food quality was mediocre.
- Had a Blast!NYgirlDined on 9/25/2014Our party of four had dinner reservations, then moved over to the Piano Bar for drinks. The entertainment was AMAZING!! We were there on a Thursday evening and the place was packed! The piano player and all three of the waitstaff were just awesome. The singing was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but less than greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2014We expected better. Took forever for food. The halibut was totally over cooked. The spaghetti dishes and sauces were not notable. Nice enough place overall and nice staff plus great proxity to evenings theater fun. But we won't return as like a better quality.
- Loved loved lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014This place was just fantastic. The hostess was so nice and accommodating Which made you feel welcomed and good about the place not like other restaurants where the hosts are cold and rude. The menu had a great variety of different foods. Could make a decision on the lobster ravioli or the duck glad the waiter suggested the duck. It was cooked to perfection. Will defiantly be back when in town again.Special Features:
- Good food - GREAT Entertainment!TNTravelerDined on 9/20/2014Went with my sister and her daughter during a recent trip to New York. Location right off of times square is awesome, food is very good (not fabulous, but very good), servicer was good. The real treasure is next door, though, in the piano bar. We had an absolute blast singing along!!Special Features:
- Not what it's made out to be.ParrDined on 9/19/2014Restaurant was fine reasonable service, reasonable food. Piano bar was not at all what it's made out to be. The night staff arrived at around nine and was notably rude to existing patrons, pushing people in to small corners and adding dozens of additional seats. Bar ends up overseated by at least 25 percent. Distinct impression is that night staff does not want the dinner patrons at the venue. This is a kids party shack, not a legitimate music venue. Restaurant alright for a meal, avoid the piano bar if you are over 25 and looking for entertainment.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 9/18/2014Advertised pre fix menu but was told it was incorporated into the regular menu (reservation time 6:30) shared shrimp cocktail was fresh Entrees were well prepared. Hearty serving of pumpkin lasagna - more than expected and was quite good. Chilean sea bass was also good with julienne vegetables , fresh and good. Then came dessert. Waiter had recommended chocolate cheese cake - poorly presented and obviously brought in from the outside. After such a surprising good meal everything became flat. Ordered expresso and it arrived luke warm. Had told the waiter we were going to the theatre and we had had quite a discussion about - he still had to be reminded to bring the check. Would think twice about returning and would not plan to impress
- Do Tell Mama about Don't Tell MamaAl101713VIPDined on 9/18/2014In the heart of the theater district, DTM is an excellent choice for a pre show dinner and/or an after show drink, or both. That's what we did. We ordered off of the prix fixe menu. Appetizers, entrees and desserts are very reasonable and very good. Service is excellent After the show, we returned for a drink and entertainment. A wonderful night out.Special Features:
- Fun DinnerMandMDined on 9/17/2014Met 2 family members there....easy to get too..parking next door....not the greatest looking restaurant but service and food quality was very goodSpecial Features:
- Nice dinnerSeattlevisitorDined on 9/13/2014The food was good here. It was perfect for a girl's night out. We all enjoyed our meals. The wait staff was very attentive and the hostess seated our group even though everyone wasn't there right on time. We had plenty of time to enjoy our meal before heading to the theater.Special Features:
- NicetlobriVIPDined on 9/13/2014Music was very good, although, the bartender stole the show when she sang. Food was very good as well. Nothing too fancy about the place, but fun to be entertained over dinner. Gets a little loud, so not conducive to conversations with your dinner partner/friends. Enjoyed it and would dine here again.Special Features:
- So disappointed with foodTonyDined on 9/6/2014Saturday evening before a show. Friendly host greeted us & seated us. A small roach of some type on the table. I pushed off table and killed it. Not a good start. We order a Caprese salad. It is summer people. Tomatoes should be dark red and flavorful; not here. Lt. pink, tasteless smothered in olive oil. Main course. If you don't like garlic mashed potatoes not the place for you, almost every side and not even worth it, no flavor. My wife ordered salmon, asked for it medium. I order the braise beef. Her salmon came out like sushi and sent back and asked to cook it a tad longer. Came back from kitchen about 10 minutes later hard as a rock. My braised beef I think was a piece of flank steak dipped in sauce for a very short time.
- Very pleasedMamas1Dined on 9/6/2014Had lunch with 5 friends here before our show and was very impressed with the food and service. I would tell my other friends about this place, did not have any problems what so ever. Thank you Joush for the excellent service. Very good.Special Features:
- EmeryEmeryDined on 9/4/2014Meet my nephew for dinner. The host even know who I was Meeting an where he was sitting Staff was very excellent !!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedpmwildcatDined on 8/31/2014We had heard this place had great music and had not read anything about the food. We were both very happy with our dinners. They were delicious. We had chicken Marsala and butternut squash ravioli and they were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!LolitaDined on 8/30/2014This was the first time we've eaten at Don't Tell Mama, and we were not disappointed. Food was very good and the wait staff were most attentive. Prices were reasonable considering the area it is in. I recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!Bb4491VIPDined on 8/29/2014Best find ever. Great pre-theater dinner. Cute, quiet and great food. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!JamrocksVIPDined on 8/28/2014This was a random restaurant selection but a great surprise. It's quieter than you would expect for pre-theatre crowd. Service is fast and lots of attention to detail. Food was very good with great daily specials. I highly recommend the crispy salmon. It was amazing. Its not a huge entree but very filling. The chocolate mouse cake dessert was absolutely sinful and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok for a quick bite.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Food and service ok. Bit disappointed that having eaten here, the bottle of wine did not count to their 2 drink minimum for their bar next door. Overall dining at their restaraunt gains you nothing and is not that special so a bit misleading that you will get the same experience as their bar.
- good food and friendly serviceandi21Dined on 8/16/2014My best friend and I arrived for an early dinner. I ordered the ny strip and my friend, the penne a la vodka. It was great. My only complaint was their garlic bread. It had way to much going on. Otherwise service was prompt and my meal was delicious. I will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice for pre-theatre dinnerJaygeeDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed dinner here--a varied menu with something for everyone. Our waiter was friendly and attentive; salads and pasta quite good and not expensive. Special "Orangtini" was just ok. We were there before the theatre dinner rush (5:30) and the place filled up and got a little more crowded and noisy, but not in a bad way.Special Features:
- Just okdonna68Dined on 8/7/2014This restaurant was just ok. We spoke with the wait staff about my daughter's dairy allergy so a recommendation was made to change the sauce on the ravioli dish she wanted. When the plate was brought out, they had sprinkled it with cheese. :( A new plate was quickly brought out and my daughter loved the dish. I had a shrimp pasta dish and it was just ok.
- A++ FoodTaniniDined on 7/26/2014A group of us, celebrating a bachelorette party went to Don't Tell Momma's restaurant on Saturday night and all of us enjoyed our meals and dessert very much! Great little area surrounded by restaurants and entertainment. :)Special Features:
- Sliders were awesomeACEADined on 7/23/2014We had to move our first booking which was not a problem for this helpful restaurant. the food was huge portions and great quality. Good Menu something for everyone and very helpful staff. Nice location in a quiete brown stone street but in the heart of it ! We did think we would have access to some music or entertainment not sure if this is clear on bookingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old and TiredLocalDined on 7/19/2014This is an old NYC restaurant that has chosen not to update anything. Food was good and the bartender and waiter were very nice and accommodating, but the ambience was below normal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Very good food and next door great bar scene. The shows are great also.Special Features:
- Here4uVIPDined on 7/19/2014ENJOYED OUR AFTER THEATER DINNER. FOOD WAS VERY GOOD AND SERVICE WAS TERRIFIC. WILL DEFINITELY RECOMMEND TO MY FRIENDS.Special Features:
- I've had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2014Although there was nothing WRONG with this restaurant, I've had better in NYC. Don't Tell Mama's fell a bit flat. The menu had standard fare, nothing unique or original. Sweet potato ravioli was tender-not drowned in sauce, but just missing that "oomph" to make the dish stand out among all of the Italian eateries on 46th street. My SIL indulged in the chicken picatta. Again, a good dish, but average in taste and presentation. I do commend the wait staff here, as our waiter was both attentive and attune to our wants and needs - never making us feel rushed, but accommodating other diners who were dining before attending an 8:00 pm show. Note: dining in the restaurant does NOT mean you get music or a discount on the cabaret or piano bar!!!