Don's Lighthouse Grille
8905 Lake Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don's Lighthouse Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donslighthouse.com/
- Phone: (216) 961-6700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Reed
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The captains room holds up to 50 people for full service dining in a formal atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Kraig Sternquist 2169616700
A word from Don's Lighthouse Grille
Don"s Lighthouse is located along Cleveland's scenic lakefront seven minutes from downtown's sports, theater and concert districts. Situated in a landmark building, Don's offers the freshest seafood, steaks,and chops and is a premier dining spot in Northeast Ohio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don's Lighthouse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (19)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Pay attention to detail...like taste.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I'm still seething with regret for taking my wife here for our ten year anniversary. A few years back we went to Don's Pomery House in Strongsville and had an outstanding experience. I chose the Lighthouse because we both love seafood but found only a small handful of menu items originating from the ocean. We chose the pretzel crusted walleye as we had this same thing at the Pomery House and figured it'd be as good if not better. They certainly win no points for creativity as it was served atop a fluff of flavorless whipped potatoes, next to two small dollops of grainy mustard and opposite a wet pile of succotash. The two fillets of walleye were stiff and tasteless which is certainly not what I or anyone should expect at $28.50. They were sized somewhere between a zippo and deck of cards. The portion size seemed right but no attention paid to the sides or the quality of the cook on the fish. With no shortage of hip and highly rated restaurants in Cleveland from award winning chefs I feel like we gambled and lost. Wouldn't go back and would suggest to others that they move down the road into Ohio City, Treemont or elsewhere.
- Great food & atmosphere, just outside of downtown.TXDanboDined on 11/14/2014Was able to get an easy reservation for a snowy Friday evening with no hassles. They treated this out-of-towner like a local! Tried the daily special (ribeye, fingerling potatoes and broccoli) - substituted fresh spinach with no hassles as I'd seen it on another listed entrée. Also no issue changing the dressing on my iceberg wedge to balsamic vinaigrette. Fresh sourdough was delivered post-haste and the meal didn't disappoint at any step. I've been to many steakhouses in Texas that didn't grill a steak anywhere near as well. Everything seemed fresh and taste was fantastic. It's definitely on my "must go" list the next time I'm in Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. The best steak I've had in CLE.Granbe1088Dined on 11/14/2014We came here for Cleveland Independents Restaurant Week as first-time diners. We ordered items off the promotional menu and the regular menu, and we're happy to report that everything was EXCELLENT. I've gone to many restaurant week events, and sometimes the quality of cuisine is lowered due to the promotion, but not at Don's Lighthouse. We received great service and great food. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lighthousehuggiebearDined on 11/13/2014Excellent service and quality of food. White table cloth and extensive wine list. Great onion soup and bleu steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood PlaceDshadDined on 11/12/2014We had the swordfish, crab cakes, lobster, trout, and walleye - all were prepared well, great service, and all creative and tasty. The stuffed trout and Walleye were particular favorites, and their crab cake is delicious. The appetizer plates are somewhat small, which we liked, but may surprise those that are used to getting appetizer platters that can feed four. It's a clubby, warm environment, and the tables are somewhat close - so it's difficult NOT to eavesdrop on the other diners. That might be the only drawback if you seek a more intimate, private dining experience. Don's is an old school neighborhood gem on the near west side - it doesn't get the buzz of the trendy places, but it's quite nice for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BDinNCTVIPDined on 11/9/2014Don's has always been one of our favorite restaurants. From the seafood chowder to the chocolate mousse it was great. The surf and turf special couldn't be beat. Our server was great. We let her know we had theater tickets and she kept everything at a good pace and got us out of there with time to spare without feeling rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lobster/steak deal!LuvgreatfoodDined on 11/9/2014Haven't been here since 1990's. No longer work in area. Will return soon. Very impressed with food, mussels and broth, fantastic! Also great bread! One in our party had the resturant week pre-fix meal...very satisfied. We will return soon! I am old enough to remember Howard Johnson on the site....happy the building was preserved and is thriving!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place was hopping!atlasaliDined on 11/9/2014Who knew that 4:00 to 5:30 on a Sunday was such a popular time to go to Don's Lighthouse. Thank goodness I made a reservation. We were dining early due to tickets to a musical. Also, it was restaurant week, and Don's offered a terrific menu. Husband ordered stuffed mushrooms, lobster tail, and chocolate mousse. I opted for their Sunday special of $10 off lobster tail and filet. I also had the mousse, rich and tasty. Food was plated nicely with mashed potatoes and green beans. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. Our server was pleasant and efficient. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Our guest's Steak Oscar was so tough he couldn't chew it. They brought him the wrong dessert. Too noisy for conversation. Seated promptly and waitress attentive, although clearly not enough to get the correct dessert.
- FabulouseatemupDined on 11/7/2014We had a great time at Don's. Our waitress was a bit spacey at times but the food made up for it!! I definitely suggest it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don's Lighthouse is great!!LarrySDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I went to dinner 11-7-14. She had never been there and I hadn't been in about twenty years. The food and service were fantastic - just as it was twenty years ago! We will be back soon. The only not so good comment is the noise - too many diners in many restaurant have no consideration for others around them and this place was a bit on the noisy side. Seems that managers are reluctant to tell diners to be more considerate.Special Features:
- Nice IntroductionashleighDJDined on 11/5/2014I'd been to Don's Lighthouse for happy hour, which was pretty good, but I'd always wanted to do dinner. Thanks to Restaurant Week, I got my chance. My friends and I had a great time. The food was great and the service was as well. I'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!AJFoodieDined on 11/1/2014We are new to Cleveland so we wanted to try Don's. Honestly, I expected Don's to be a rather stodgy place with an older crowd. Not so! Decor was upscale New England…. We both had seafood and our dishes were great! I had sushi grade tuna (seared but rare) on lo mien in a miso broth with edamame, scallions and wasabi drizzle-- Superb! My husband had swordfish-- very good. Tasty, interesting salads. Bottle of wine was reasonably priced. We will be going back.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasionmrhoop01Dined on 10/31/2014Great food and great service. Would highly recommend the Steak Oscar. The Maine lobster tail was also good. Very sweet although a little on the small side. We've dined here several times and have always enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great serviceCLEdinerDined on 10/31/2014Don's Lighthouse consistently offers great food and service at a reasonable price. My wife and I enjoy celebrating special occasions here. It is a solid restaurant that never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/28/2014Had a very good anniversary dinner. You can't go wrong with Alaskan king crab legs. Simply prepared, drawn butter. I didn't care much anout the rest of my plate, but for the money, I'd prefer awesome sides instead of undercooked bland veggies and average mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Yum!hellobethieDined on 10/25/2014We went here for a late dinner, I have always wanted to try this place because I am a huge fan of Don's Pomeroy House. They had a great variety of appetizers so I decided to order the escargot and the mussels. My boyfriend ordered the french onion soup and the clams. The escargot was not my favorite, it was kind of bland. I'm used to having snails cooked in garlic butter but these had a crunchy cheese coating. The mussels were the best surprise. I expected to get maybe a dozen but they gave me a HUGE bowl of them. At least 40 mussels and they were delicious! The clams were yummy, same with the soup. The creme brulee for dessert was the icing on the cake, though. It was fabulous!Special Features:
- Great except...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My husband and I had an early dinner on Sat (5 pm). When seated in an empty restaurant we were put at a small 2 top. We asked to be sat in a roomier booth. The gentleman, who I assume would have been our waiter, moved us to the farthest booth with a broken booth seat no less. Our waitress & the food was so wonderful we overcame our annoyance at where we were sitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Don's Lighthouse is excellent every time we have dinner - service, food - top shelf.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014The food was great. Our server who I cant remember her name was great but towards the end of our meal she seemed annoyed when we asked for the wine list again and then all of a sudden she wasn't our server anymore. A very nice young lady who I think was the manager, since we never had a manager visit I'm not sure exactly who she was. She finished of our service for the evening. The open kitchen is never one of my favorites because I don't want to listen to them talk about inappropriate personal topics while I'm enjoying my dinner. I will give it another chance because the food was SO good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Don's Lighthouse remains a good place for a pleasant meal. Food, service and atmosphere are all very good, but nothing extraordinary. Tables are a bit crowded. Lobster-stuffed trout was tasty, but a little light on the lobster, and the dish tended to be overly salty. We remember when any Don's restaurant was a go-to place for a special dinner. (Pomeroy House still is.) We enjoyed the meal, bur have no need to rush back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!!ckjones55Dined on 10/18/2014We're old. Neither of us can eat an full entree anymore, but we like to taste things. Our fabulous waitress, Abigail, laughed and joked with us and made suggestions which we took. We had 2 cups of soup and one entree. We were FULL and happy. The food was well prepared with attention to presentation. The fish was neither dry nor undercooked. While I could have used less salt, that is my chronic complaint and, I think, outside the mainstream of American tastes these days. We usually dine with a coupon, but we went to Don's because of its great reputation, not because we had a coupon. We will be back - and ask for Abigail as our server!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among Cleveland's BestLizDDined on 10/18/2014With all of the emerging "hot" new restaurants popping up all over the city, it's comforting to know that Don's Lighthouse Grille is/was/always will be a member of Cleveland's culinary scene. It's been among the best for many years and hasn't lost any of its original quality. The menu is ever-evolving, but the décor reminds diners of old Cleveland. We go there for the fresh seafood, but that's just one of many menu options. The service is friendly and professional, even on a holiday (such as Sweetest Day). The bar bustles with activity; the dining rooms are quieter and comfortable, allowing for a leisurely dining experience. Don's Lighthouse Grille has never let us down. A special shout-out to our server, who was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!StephanielynnDined on 10/15/2014This was my first time at Don's Lighthouse, and it definitely won't be my last! The food was AMAZING and the service was excellent! Our waitress was absolutely wonderful! I had the bass special- which came with lobster mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was beyond delicious! Thank you for the great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The overall experience was great !! The ambiance was good the service was outstanding! The menu is fairly large a lot of excellent choices we had the moody blues with a lobster tail added and the scallops meal and they were both very very excellent !! The lobster tail is a little small but with the rest of the meal it was all together enough food !! Honestly probably the best meal we have had in awhile !! The service was outstanding ! They was never a moment where you needed anything or even had to ask they are on top of it here I would recommend this to anyone of your looking for a great meal and night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experiencedmastDined on 10/11/2014A beautiful restaurant with a good menu. Staff is helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodloveseafoodDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding! It is highly recommended you make reservations before showing up. The prices were a little high, but the food was well worth the extra money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A- rating for an A+ restaurantThomasDined on 10/2/2014Don's Lighthouse is one of my favorite restaurants. We went there for their advertised clambake. The only negative: I had the clambake and it was quite good, but my wife ordered clams as an appetizer, and they were almost out of clams! She got only four clams; they substituted mussels for the remainder of the order. But that won't stop me from coming back to this fine west side restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would come backmangiaDined on 10/2/2014anna lisa great service--very good food---reasonable prices---great for a date---wish watresses would sing happy birthday or at least whistle the tune!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColumbusLunchBunchDined on 9/30/2014Seating was great. Parking was ample. Food was delicious. Ambiance was perfect. Chef was very accommodating and prepared a Special Meal that wasn't on the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.SandyDined on 9/28/2014Hadn't been to Don's for a long time and am happy they are still a top restaurant. Good menu and great specials. A real deal on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, not waitressRoy44145Dined on 9/26/2014Nice place, hasn't changed much in 30 years, but very consistent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceRaeRae27VIPDined on 9/13/2014We missed this nice neighborhood gem. Food and service was great as we remembered in the past. Bar area looks like a great place to stop and eat when in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayEvilroyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wife & I came w/another couple and had high expectations. They were not met. All of the food was okay, but underwhelming. Appetizers, consisting of salads and escargot were fine. Table agreed entrees, scallops, salmon, and walleye were ok, but wouldn't order them again. My togarashi seared tuna was a lowlight. Looked like a mess in a bowl. The wasabi creme got mixed into the miso broth, making it look like fatty globules. Tuna looked like it had been cut with a knife that wasn't sharp. It did taste better than it looked. Service was clumsy and awkward. A tray full of food missed my wife's head by no more than 2 inches. In Cleveland's increasingly competitive restaurant scene you just need to do better.Special Features:
- mimiDined on 8/25/2014We had a really good time. Our waitress was very nice. We enjoyed our 24th year anniversary date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchScottVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great meal, service was outstanding. I have been going to Don's for over 30 years, never disappointed. I had 4 guests and they enjoyed menu options and have and outstanding server,Special Features:
- Celebrate in Cleveland at Don'solive3meDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating several events in our lives and decided to dine at Don's Lighthouse for a special outing with friends. This was our first time and I was afraid that it might be a bit high-end and stuffy for our group. But I shouldn't have worried. Our hostess invited us to relax in the lounge with a cocktail, even though we had hit our reservation time. The lounge was low key,warm, and welcoming. We even considered dining right there except that our table looked so much more inviting. The wait staff was attentive, read the mood of our group, and kept up the lively table ambiance. Food outstanding - fresh and flavorful seafood. We'll be returning for maybe a quieter dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRupertDined on 8/23/2014Went for our 1st anniversary and the food was delicious. Started with the calamari which was nothing special but my scallops on asparagus risotto was delicious. My husband got the King crab which were also delicious but quite expensive. Ended the night with a complimentary lemon blueberry cheesecake which was outstanding. Overall it was a great place to spend a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gigantic Portions, OK QualitysorpresivoDined on 8/16/2014The food portions look gargantuan to me, but seem to be on par with other local restaurants. Wide variety of seafood available. The tilapia was overcooked and I expected more of a pistachio crust covering. One appetizer is good for 3-4 people. I would give this place another try mainly because I suspect there are other menu items that are better prepared than what I had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTobyDined on 8/14/2014I took my wife here after reading about this place. Manager was hands on and working the door, reservation was just as we asked; right by a window. Brian was our server and gave us perfect service. Polite, knowledgable, and perfect timing. We had the stuffed mushrooms and shrimp cocktail for apps. We had the filet and lobster and the twin lobster tails for dinner. It was very good. Both those dishes are $10 off Thursday and Sunday. Highly recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.