Don's Lighthouse Grille
8905 Lake Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don's Lighthouse Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donslighthouse.com/
- Phone: 2169616700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Reed
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: The captains room holds up to 50 people for full service dining in a formal atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Kraig Sternquist 2169616700
A word from Don's Lighthouse Grille
Don"s Lighthouse is located along Cleveland's scenic lakefront seven minutes from downtown's sports, theater and concert districts. Situated in a landmark building, Don's offers the freshest seafood, steaks,and chops and is a premier dining spot in Northeast Ohio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don's Lighthouse Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (47)romantic (34)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (16)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014The food was great. Our server who I cant remember her name was great but towards the end of our meal she seemed annoyed when we asked for the wine list again and then all of a sudden she wasn't our server anymore. A very nice young lady who I think was the manager, since we never had a manager visit I'm not sure exactly who she was. She finished of our service for the evening. The open kitchen is never one of my favorites because I don't want to listen to them talk about inappropriate personal topics while I'm enjoying my dinner. I will give it another chance because the food was SO good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Don's Lighthouse remains a good place for a pleasant meal. Food, service and atmosphere are all very good, but nothing extraordinary. Tables are a bit crowded. Lobster-stuffed trout was tasty, but a little light on the lobster, and the dish tended to be overly salty. We remember when any Don's restaurant was a go-to place for a special dinner. (Pomeroy House still is.) We enjoyed the meal, bur have no need to rush back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014We're old. Neither of us can eat an full entree anymore, but we like to taste things. Our fabulous waitress, Abigail, laughed and joked with us and made suggestions which we took. We had 2 cups of soup and one entree. We were FULL and happy. The food was well prepared with attention to presentation. The fish was neither dry nor undercooked. While I could have used less salt, that is my chronic complaint and, I think, outside the mainstream of American tastes these days. We usually dine with a coupon, but we went to Don's because of its great reputation, not because we had a coupon. We will be back - and ask for Abigail as our server!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among Cleveland's BestLizDDined on 10/18/2014With all of the emerging "hot" new restaurants popping up all over the city, it's comforting to know that Don's Lighthouse Grille is/was/always will be a member of Cleveland's culinary scene. It's been among the best for many years and hasn't lost any of its original quality. The menu is ever-evolving, but the décor reminds diners of old Cleveland. We go there for the fresh seafood, but that's just one of many menu options. The service is friendly and professional, even on a holiday (such as Sweetest Day). The bar bustles with activity; the dining rooms are quieter and comfortable, allowing for a leisurely dining experience. Don's Lighthouse Grille has never let us down. A special shout-out to our server, who was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!StephanielynnDined on 10/15/2014This was my first time at Don's Lighthouse, and it definitely won't be my last! The food was AMAZING and the service was excellent! Our waitress was absolutely wonderful! I had the bass special- which came with lobster mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was beyond delicious! Thank you for the great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The overall experience was great !! The ambiance was good the service was outstanding! The menu is fairly large a lot of excellent choices we had the moody blues with a lobster tail added and the scallops meal and they were both very very excellent !! The lobster tail is a little small but with the rest of the meal it was all together enough food !! Honestly probably the best meal we have had in awhile !! The service was outstanding ! They was never a moment where you needed anything or even had to ask they are on top of it here I would recommend this to anyone of your looking for a great meal and night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014A beautiful restaurant with a good menu. Staff is helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Great foodloveseafoodDined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding! It is highly recommended you make reservations before showing up. The prices were a little high, but the food was well worth the extra money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A- rating for an A+ restaurantThomasDined on 10/2/2014Don's Lighthouse is one of my favorite restaurants. We went there for their advertised clambake. The only negative: I had the clambake and it was quite good, but my wife ordered clams as an appetizer, and they were almost out of clams! She got only four clams; they substituted mussels for the remainder of the order. But that won't stop me from coming back to this fine west side restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would come backmangiaDined on 10/2/2014anna lisa great service--very good food---reasonable prices---great for a date---wish watresses would sing happy birthday or at least whistle the tune!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColumbusLunchBunchDined on 9/30/2014Seating was great. Parking was ample. Food was delicious. Ambiance was perfect. Chef was very accommodating and prepared a Special Meal that wasn't on the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.SandyDined on 9/28/2014Hadn't been to Don's for a long time and am happy they are still a top restaurant. Good menu and great specials. A real deal on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, not waitressRoy44145Dined on 9/26/2014Nice place, hasn't changed much in 30 years, but very consistent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceRaeRae27VIPDined on 9/13/2014We missed this nice neighborhood gem. Food and service was great as we remembered in the past. Bar area looks like a great place to stop and eat when in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayEvilroyVIPDined on 8/30/2014Wife & I came w/another couple and had high expectations. They were not met. All of the food was okay, but underwhelming. Appetizers, consisting of salads and escargot were fine. Table agreed entrees, scallops, salmon, and walleye were ok, but wouldn't order them again. My togarashi seared tuna was a lowlight. Looked like a mess in a bowl. The wasabi creme got mixed into the miso broth, making it look like fatty globules. Tuna looked like it had been cut with a knife that wasn't sharp. It did taste better than it looked. Service was clumsy and awkward. A tray full of food missed my wife's head by no more than 2 inches. In Cleveland's increasingly competitive restaurant scene you just need to do better.Special Features:
- mimiDined on 8/25/2014We had a really good time. Our waitress was very nice. We enjoyed our 24th year anniversary date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchScottVIPDined on 8/25/2014Great meal, service was outstanding. I have been going to Don's for over 30 years, never disappointed. I had 4 guests and they enjoyed menu options and have and outstanding server,Special Features:
- Celebrate in Cleveland at Don'solive3meDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating several events in our lives and decided to dine at Don's Lighthouse for a special outing with friends. This was our first time and I was afraid that it might be a bit high-end and stuffy for our group. But I shouldn't have worried. Our hostess invited us to relax in the lounge with a cocktail, even though we had hit our reservation time. The lounge was low key,warm, and welcoming. We even considered dining right there except that our table looked so much more inviting. The wait staff was attentive, read the mood of our group, and kept up the lively table ambiance. Food outstanding - fresh and flavorful seafood. We'll be returning for maybe a quieter dinner for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerRupertDined on 8/23/2014Went for our 1st anniversary and the food was delicious. Started with the calamari which was nothing special but my scallops on asparagus risotto was delicious. My husband got the King crab which were also delicious but quite expensive. Ended the night with a complimentary lemon blueberry cheesecake which was outstanding. Overall it was a great place to spend a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gigantic Portions, OK QualitysorpresivoDined on 8/16/2014The food portions look gargantuan to me, but seem to be on par with other local restaurants. Wide variety of seafood available. The tilapia was overcooked and I expected more of a pistachio crust covering. One appetizer is good for 3-4 people. I would give this place another try mainly because I suspect there are other menu items that are better prepared than what I had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTobyDined on 8/14/2014I took my wife here after reading about this place. Manager was hands on and working the door, reservation was just as we asked; right by a window. Brian was our server and gave us perfect service. Polite, knowledgable, and perfect timing. We had the stuffed mushrooms and shrimp cocktail for apps. We had the filet and lobster and the twin lobster tails for dinner. It was very good. Both those dishes are $10 off Thursday and Sunday. Highly recommend to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and foodbayvillagefoodiesDined on 8/4/2014Don's location at the end of the Shoreway makes it quite accessible for clients coming from east and certainly easy to reach from all points west. Our server was quite attentive and all four meals were excellent. The Great Lakes Walleye was yummy and two of four of us enjoyed that. The others had the salmon and seemed to enjoy that equally. We passed on dessert because we had all enjoyed the delicious bread a bit too much. We let the restaurant having had a delightful evening.Special Features:
- HineseDined on 8/2/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Every time I have been there the staff is so welcoming and helpful in making decisions because it is so hard to choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT old standardKaminDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant is like an old friend. Can always count on it for GREAT food, GREAT service, GREAT drinks and a warm, cozy atmosphere. This time we took family from out-of-state, and they loved it as much as us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jbob49Dined on 7/27/2014The surf and turf special was very very good. The escargots were the best.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodLudwikaVIPDined on 7/23/2014All Don's Lighthouse meals are very well prepared...the seafood is outstanding...fresh...my favorite is their scallop dishes. Its seafood chowder is excellent as well. Wine list is good and their are many reasonable ones of which to pick. If you want fresh, excellent seafood just minutes from downtown Cleveland, this is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Pleasant Dining ExperienceKaminDined on 7/12/2014As always, the drive from the east side to the west side was worth it. Great food, great service, good wine and pleasant "old-fashioned" atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucylocketDined on 7/7/2014We received a gift certificate and enjoyed a wonderful lunch on Monday! Upon arriving we were greeted with a smile from the hostess that made us feel welcome. We sat in the lounge which reminded me of a ships galley. Very calming in deep blue with beautiful grained wood. The bar attendant came over and welcomed up also. She was very pleasant and accommodating. We had the Seafood Chowder as an appetizer. The flavor was amazing, served hot and with delicious crusty bread and crackers. My husband had the enjoyed Walleye; I had the Nantucket Scallops. Both were prepared to perfection. It was a great lunch and a good value! Visit Don's Lighthouse Grille; you will not be disappointed:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCleEatsDined on 7/6/2014Don's Lighthouse is on my list of regular places to go out for seafood; it's usually reliable for food and atmosphere. This last visit, for whatever reason, the service was terrible. The server seemed to have a chip on his shoulder from the minute we declined drinks. He was curt with us, and we waited a long time between stops at our table. His tone bordered on rude. The meal was good, a little greasier than normal. The cheesecake tasted like it had been sitting around for a while. The experience with a server (and the cheesecake) left a bad taste in my mouth. It will be a while before I go back, and next time we'll just sit at the bar.
- Don's Lighthouse Grille - Not Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We had a late dinner for our 34th Anniversary. Our tab was just about $200. The filets were really bad ... so oversalted in parts you couldn't even eat the meat. Had to grab a glass of water to wash the salt away. Almost non-existant fingerling potatoes. (Ran out?) The waitress was semi-surly and her dry 'wit' was not appreciated. Maybe she was just tired, but the day was important to us and we wish we had gone elsewhere.
- The following 307 reviews are from the Don's Lighthouse Grille reviews archive.
- Great foodJennaDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious!All four of our group members enjoyed their experience and food. For it being the restaurant near the beach and labeled the "lighthouse" we expected it to be a little more exciting scenery wise, but was still a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed the evening the service was good. Nice selection on the menu to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitCrationsDined on 6/19/2014First time . Surf and turf. Steak was very good. Lobster lacked that "lobsters taste". Simple house salad very skimpy for price. Need to revisit and sample more of the fare to be fair. Service was very good. Our waiter Brian very good.Special Features:
- Nice experienceTJ23Dined on 6/16/2014Restaurant was quiet but nice for our family celebration. Food was good and wait staff helpful.Special Features:
- DisappointedCleMomDined on 6/15/2014We went to celebrate Father's Day. My girls were really looking forward to taking their dad out to a fancy restaurant. Boy was I taken back when I saw a majority of guests were wearing shorts & t-shirts for dinner. Biggest disappointment was the food...if you're going to charge $40 for a steak you darn well better know how to cook it properly. There are far too many other amazing restaurants in this city now that do know how & I don't mind paying for it. This used to be a special place with nostalgia & good food...now it just seems outdated. It's really too bad. Our server Brian was very good on the other hand & still made the evening special for my girls & their dad.
- Excellent food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food. Service was ok, nothing special. Will be back though as food really was good. We had French onion soup, calamari, steak & lobster tail, and the Delmonico steak, all were excellent.Special Features:
- cfoodluverDined on 6/10/2014While visiting Cleveland for work decided to take husband along. I Googled restaurants in Cleveland and Don's Lighthouse had excellent reviews. We ordered the mussels as an appetizer and Chilean sea bass and Nantucket Scallops for entrée. All were completely amazing, surpassed the reviews. It was definitely a meal to remember. Service was excellent and I will return for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our FavoritesKaminDined on 6/8/2014When we make the trip from the east side to the west side for an event, one of the high points is to dine at Don's Lighthouse Grille. Food, service and atmosphere are always great. Always an enjoyable experience, and so nice to still be able to dine here after all these years--comforting. Good specials on various days of the week. Bar crowd seem to enjoy their time also.Special Features:
- SilverAnnivCoupleDined on 6/3/2014Don's was quiet and a perfect setting for our 25th Anniversary dinner. Food was excellent. We were not crowded in and we were left plenty of time for quiet and private conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!gsmithDined on 6/3/2014Family and friend's dined here for the first time to celebrate my brother birthday and we were all so impressed and enjoyed the whole dining experience. The food was excellent! The service was excellent! The prices were very reasonable especially for the portions. I definitely would recommend this restaurant and will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.