Donovan’s Prime Seafood
333 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan’s Prime Seafood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovansprimeseafood.com/
- Phone: 6199064850x
- Hours of Operation:
6 days a week, Bar opens at 4:00pm with Happy Hour from 4-6:00 with Reverse Happy from 8:00pm til closing. Dining Room Hours: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm to 11:00pm
OYSTER BAR NOW OPEN WITH EAST AND WEST COAST OYSTERS!
Seating outside under the stars on Fifth Street Gaslamp
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Arturo Meija
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We are closed on Sunday, however will open for private events of 20ppl or more. Will open for private lunch events of 20ppl or more. Please inquire.
- Private Party Contact: Events Team 8772666336
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Michael Buble
- Special Events: Donovan's Prime Seafood is San Diego's premier private party event venue. With an array of private dining and entertainment options, we can accomodate parties of 50 to 300 guests. Contact Charlotte Waganer for all private dining information.
- Cross Street: 5th & K
- Public Transit: The San Diego MTS, Trolley and Coaster service the downtown area. Visit the San Diego MTS website for timetables and scheduled stops.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet available. Street parking at metered spaces and numerous parking lots available in downtown area. Closest lot at 6th and K, one block from venue.
A word from Donovan’s Prime Seafood
Donovan’s Prime Seafood will ignite the senses with an extraordinary culinary experience laced with world-class service. Donovan’s Prime Seafood is located in the heart of the Gaslamp district, steps away from the San Diego convention center, Horton Plaza, and Petco Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Donovan’s Prime Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good Recommendation2timeoffenderDined on 12/13/2013I couldn't decide between 3 seafood dishes that sounded great and the waiter made a great recommendation of the Chilean Sea Bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome again!Luv2grubVIPDined on 12/12/2013Went here with two of my business pals. We ate like Kings of the Realm. Oysters were so fresh and my cioppino was so flavorful and filled with tasty fresh seafood. Drinks of wine and bourbon were poured generously and the service was very attentive. Great food and a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Yes, Dinner...Maybe NotFoodieChapVIPDined on 11/29/2013Chose this based on OpenTable reviews, but for dinner I was not impressed and was expecting more. To be fair, the happy hour oysters and $3 drafts were great. However, you really can't mess up oysters unless you don't shuck them right or serve them old. We had a couple dozen and then went in for dinner. Chowder was good, but that was about it. Wife's fish seemed overcooked and untasty. Kids and wife didn't like the lobster mac & cheese either. I had the fish and chips and it wasn't overly exciting. It gets a good for the oysters but I think a little too much hype for the the quality of food which was average.
- Disappointed with Donovan's SeafoodPadreDined on 11/16/2013I've been to Donovan's several times before and have always enjoyed it but this last visit was such a disappointment! The ribeye steak was promised to be 16 oz but was very much smaller. My wife started with oysters which were so small it was difficult to see them in the shell! Her local sole was dry and boring! Since it was her birthday I did not want to complain at the restaurant but it was a really disappointing meal and so expensive for what was offered. We will not return!
- Everything was perfect--fromBirthdaydinerDined on 11/16/2013Everything was perfect--from dropping off the car with the valet to picking it up. The service, the food, and the birthday crème brulee were wonderful! Donovan's offers a very elegant but comfortable dining experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Pricey butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2013Food was great. Pricey but good portions. Nice blend of flavors Wine list was extensive. Service was great. It was more casual than What I had anticipated. I like to dress up for a Nice restaurant :) it was my husbands Bday and creme brulle was very Delicious! We will be back for happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan's Steak houseElaineDined on 11/15/2013Excellent sevice! Ambiance was nice and quiet. My steak was like butter that melted in one's mouth. I tasted my friend' salmon and it was equally delightful. The service was fantastic! I always listened to Rick Roberts (760 Am) when he would announce go to Donovan's and ask for Rick Robert's table; then Larry Himmel similar ads. I took the leap and have never been more pleased. Thank you, Elaine McMullenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all that impressedchrisVIPDined on 11/1/2013Nothing compared to the steak house and I am a seafood lover.Special Features:
- Great Seafood and Dining ExperienceluvseafoodDined on 10/26/2013We are glad we chose Donovan's Prime Seafood to celebrate my husbsand's birthday. The Stuffed Mushroom with crab and shrimp (appetizer) was incredible. The Seafood was FRESH and cooked to perfection! --Outstanding!!! Our dining service was A+ everyone was friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. We will return to Donovan's Prime Seafood the next time we visit the Gas Lamp district in San Diego. Awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy & RomanticdrewsilverDined on 10/22/2013This was our first time at Donovan's Prime Seafood and definitely not our last! We enjoyed the food immensely and were pleasantly surprised by the quality. Sometimes seafood restaurants promise one thing and give something totally different. Donovan's Prime Seafood promised top-notch quality and delivered it. I ordered pan-seared scallops ($40.00) and needed only a fork to cut through them. It was the tastiest dish I've ever had when it came to scallops. I didn't have wine but my better half did and thought it was very impressive and the recommended red wine was excellent. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Every aspect of our diningPhenomenalVIPDined on 10/18/2013Every aspect of our dining experience was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; excellentBuckVIPDined on 10/17/2013Excellent food; excellent service; VERY expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodluvgreatseafoodDined on 10/14/2013Know the Donovan's name well. Have eaten at the STEAKHOUSE frequently. Imagine our surprise at discovering Donovan's PRIME SEAFOOD. Great food. Outstanding service.Beautiful setting. One of our best Gaslamp experiences!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really GoodBreeDined on 10/4/2013I attended the restaurant to celebrate my parents anniversary. The food was great and the dining service was wonderful. Friendly staff and quick service. I really appreciated the fact that they brought out a dessert for my parents, and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceSeafoodLover1946Dined on 9/26/2013The entrees were perfect. The chopped salad was not representative of a 4-star dining restaurant--just iceberg lettuce and a bit of carrot. The cheesecake was tasteless and no better than a frozen counterpart like Sara Lee. Von's has better cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 16yrsofbliss16yrsofblissDined on 9/20/2013It was a lovely dinner with my husband celebrating our 16th anniversary. The food and ambiance was amazing and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good service was so soCaboJanDined on 9/18/2013The hostess forgot that she asked us to wait in the bar, finally on our way to our table she asked if we were celebrating anything, to which we replied yes, our 22nd wedding anniversary. That was the last time it was ever mentioned. Our waiter (Matthew) informed us that they had team service and Jessica and Thereza would also be helping us, which is a good thing because I think the waiter forgot we were there after that. I feel that because we ordered from the Restaurant Week Menu the waiter didn't feel the need to give us as good of service as someone who ordered from the regular menu ( although our check was over twice what rest. week costs due to drinks and apps). The food was good but overall experience was lacking!!
- waste of time. literallyduseDined on 9/17/2013The food was decent even the steak came out MW when we ordered MR. The service was awfully. There were 6 tables and we waited 20min in between each time we saw our waiter. The manager was no where to be found. We had enough time to actually talk to other tables and the complained about the same thing.Special Features:
- Just O.K.HotCoupleDined on 9/7/2013So my wife and I go to 2-3 fine dining establishments a month and decided to try out the new Donavans Seafood Restaurant. We were not excited about the food. My wife's crab legs were dry and were not up to par for a seafood specialty restaurant. My scallops were very bland, nothing to them, no special sauce, salsa, nothing to accomodate them...I asked for my filet mignon medium/rare and it came out medium/well on the outside and medium towards the middle...all in all we will not return since the food was not that great. The staff was pleasant and professional but it's all about the food isnt it when you go out?
- Waiters were friendly butOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/27/2013Waiters were friendly but took 2 drink orders from table of 4 and left 2 of us waiting until he came back. For a seafood place, the halibut and sea bass were overcooked. Not bad on balance, but should be perfect at the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gaslamp has MUCH betterSanDiegoMom5Dined on 8/23/2013As one who likes Donovan's steakhouse, was disappointed. There are too many choices in the Gaslamp, If you want repeat business, you need to be exceptional. Offer something for customers to think of your restaurant as "the place to go". The service was exceptional. We started off with a signature cocktail, Pearl Drop martini, truly good. But the menu was limited, no offering of a chefs "special" and offered nothing out of the ordinary. It was all just sort of "okay".The cost for four was $300 (not including tip) which is par for a restaurant of this caliber.There are so many better seafood restaurants within walking distance to PETCO, the convention center or the Embarcadero and even some of the finer steakhouses offer better seafood faire.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2013Fresh fish. Lovely filet. Good for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everythingSFTempTransplantVIPDined on 8/17/2013Donovan's consistently delivers as a place to eat that has great ambience. We went on a Saturday evening, just as a Padres game wrapped up. Thus, eating great food outside was that much better with excellent people watching. The service was excellent; our waiter was exceptionally professional.Special Features:
- AmazingbquickshDined on 8/17/2013Great food and service. This establishment definitely cares about their clientele.Special Features:
- unique but priceyJeffTVIPDined on 8/15/2013The food was nice, especially the raw oyster variety. The staff is very attentive. They don't offer the happy oysters at tables, only at the bar though. Portions are good, but the mussels were VERY small and broth was not very tasty. Calamari was good. Lobster Risotto was good and enough to share. All "fresh" main courses are over 30.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2013Sandy scallops and tasteless risotto. They didn't charge me, but I expected better. Atmosphere not as classy as La Jolla Donovan's.
- Great ServicekmcgrewDined on 8/14/2013We had a team of three people helping us out. Service was very good, food was good. The restaurant was pretty empty, though it was early and there was not a Padre game the night we were there. It is expensive, so I would use it for special occassions, or to celebrate something special. It would be a great place to impress a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$$hotanglerDined on 8/12/2013Great food, bring your wallet, pricy but yummy, 5 scallops for $38 no soup or salad included so beware if you are hungry- you may leave that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan's Prime San DiegoEpicureanDined on 8/12/2013This wonderful restaurant delivers exhuberant service from the door to your seat. We had just the right amount of attention; all sincere and warm. We were delighted by the entree recommendations; the sea bass with mushroom risotto was divine and the shrimp and grits was a fantastic flavorful creation - compliments to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great .. but not a lot of tasteCharlesVIPDined on 8/10/2013drinks - good bread -- great oysters rockefeller -- off the hook good . better than brigantine and brigantine makes what i thought were the best raw oysters-- great Main course -- shrimp scampi -- not enough flavor .. it was like they used a low sodium butter.. would have been better with some cheese.. tomatoes should be sun dried .. give it a 4/10 Blackened swordfish -- outstanding.. vegetables-- perfect .. mashed potatoes-- perfect.. 8/10 Overall i loved The restaraunt but the shrimp scampi was low on flavor ... I noticed many other people using A LOT of salt.. Bill came to $190 plus tip .. which is fair .. make sure to have your fish blackened or I am sure it will be bland also ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasis in the gaslamp districtruthiwVIPDined on 8/10/2013When one steps through the door of Donovan's, you leave behind the craziness of the Gas lamp for a genteel, continental dining experience. Service and food were excellent. We had a number of dietary constraints and the waiter, Renzo, was able to come up with terrific suggestions for us. Would highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the Location, justBernieDined on 8/10/2013We loved the Location, just steps away from the San Diego Convention Center in downtown San Diego’s famed Gaslamp Quarter, Donovan’s Prime Seafood is the epitome of excellence in sea fare. There menu gives variety, without being overwhelming. Our meals were excellant, but the service was not there. We weren't in any hurry, but the service was rather slow. The tables around us were been served there salads and entree's before us. We had been seated before them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2013Awesome staff they have there. Everyone was super nice and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Went for a graduation celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/9/2013Went for a graduation celebration with family and best friend from out of town. Super nice special occasion seafood option. Surf and turf was very much enjoyed given the Donovan steak name. Great dinner, great choice !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperiencetapasDined on 8/9/2013Donavon's customer service was amazing, the dining area was beautiful and the food was very good. We split the 'wedge' salad which was wonderful and had plenty of dressing (thank you-no skimping here). For dinner we had the Chilean Seabass and the filet mignon. Both were excellent. Prices were expensive, but we used a Living Social Coupon that helped with the final bill. The drink/wine list was really extensive and we appreciated the many options.Special Features:
- Very good quality food, excellentPopeyeDined on 8/8/2013Very good quality food, excellent oysters, fish, tuna & wines Thanks for the good treatment and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2013I have been to this restaurant several times with different friends. Every time it has been wonderful and not 1 complaint. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner againFlyfisherVIPDined on 7/30/2013We ad a great dinner again. It is too bad the parking is expensive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a really great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2013Service was awesome. Our 3 waiters were nice. Didn't turn their nose up because we had a Living Social deal. Felt very welcomed. The food tasty. The fish, very thick and flaky. Only bad thing is parking. Have to factor that into cost of night out in Gaslamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times!nitzerDined on 7/29/2013The food was excellent! The service was great (even for a baseball night)! Sitting outside people watching was fun. Great downtown location on 5th. Only negative, really, were that the plates had an annoying design that wouldn't really let you set your silverware on them properly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.