Donovan's - Phoenix
3101 E Camelback Road
Phoenix, AZ 85016Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - Phoenix
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (602) 955-3666
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm nightly. Dinner Service begins at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm Friday-Saturday: 5pm - 10pm Closed Sunday and Major Holidays. Special Holiday Hours may apply.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Thomas Hunyady
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Donovan's Martini Hour, Monday - Saturday from 4:00 - 8:00pm. We offer complimentary USDA Prime Filet sandwiches from 4:00 - 6:00pm.
Donovan's also has 8 private dining rooms, for private dining or receptions that can accomodate 8 to 120 guests.
A word from Donovan's - Phoenix
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Donovan's - Phoenix - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Donovan's - Phoenix reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (174)romantic (132)fit for foodies (82)notable wine list (76)good for groups (43)neighborhood gem (42)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (15)late-night find (10)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- BogartDined on 11/22/2014This was the worst dining experience I have had in years. The service was terrible and the food worse. The steak portion a filet was small and filled with fat. We will never ever eat at this restaurant again. We have been there many times the quality of execution and food is declining
- Anniversary CelebrationHungryVIPDined on 11/22/2014We were greeted and seated by a courteous and professional staff. We were congratulated on our anniversary by all. The table had rose pedals on it in our honor. Food was terrific. Couldn't be happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kennVIPDined on 11/15/2014As always, an incredible meal. We have dined at Donovan's 10 plus times, never a bad moment from the time we walk in until the time we leave. Our favorite restaurant. Do yourself a favor and dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantWendyinAZDined on 11/14/2014We went for a business dinner, and the server was great, as was the food. We love going to Donovans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance, OverpricedDebbieDined on 11/10/2014The décor and service was amazing. The food was good, but not up to the level we expected for the price.Special Features:
- Why make ReservationsAkuunyaaDined on 11/8/2014The food and server was outstanding. Getting seated was another story. We were a large party and made reservations, we even were in contact with Donovan's twice the day of the reservation to confirm. We arrived 10 minutes early for reservation time and had to wait an additional 30 minutes before we were seated. I guess the part that bugs me is no manager came over and apologized for the 40 minute wait to be seated.Special Features:
- Treatment we receivedLovetotrynewthingsDined on 11/7/2014We arrived and the hostess had asked my date to remove his hat which I could understand being a nice restaurant and all. After we had completed our dinner and waiting for the check to come, we see a large group seated and most of them were wearing hats, and t-shirts. Now, I am not one to complain about the food or service but if I am paying good $$$$ to eat at this so called nice place, I would expect that the same rules apply to all customers. I had expressed my dissatisfaction to our lovely waitress but the manager came by and said sorry like it was no big deal. Regardless of why we were treated differently, If I am going to fork up $200 to eat at a nice restaurant I expect respect, great service and great food.Special Features:
- Awesome Martini's and Prime Steaks!ChopperfromphillyDined on 11/6/2014Our server Tina was fantastic! My guests and I enjoyed great Martinis (steakhouse size!) at the elegant bar and a wonderful prime steak dinner prepared to perfection! Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVinceVIPDined on 11/5/2014Our waitress was very friendly and helpful, and the food was outstanding. All in the party were very impressed.Special Features:
- New house manager neededOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2014The service was awful. We were a party of 3 and waited 45 minutes for our entrees to be served. At the time the resturant did not inform us until our entrees were practically done that the reason for the long delay was that there was a large ticket of 85 entrees ahead of ours. The resturant knew that ticket was there when our order was processed but negelected to inform us at the beginning that the kitchen was backed up and our entrees would be delayed for a significant period of time. I find this lack of communication unacceptable given that this is billed as a fine dining establishment. The house manager should have been at our table explaining long before she actually did arrive. This was a birthday dinner and it was runied because of this lack of communication.
- Very high expectationsBayer6464Dined on 11/4/2014This was a great dining experience. However the filet mignon was on the cold side. Not impressed with the cruisine. Service was perfect. #3 best filet on Phoenix, Donavan's #2 Meastros #1 Capitol GrilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Everything about our dining experience was perfect! The wait staff, the food, the pacing of courses, etc. Wouldn't change a thing except wish we'd had room for dessert!Special Features:
- 2AdventurersDined on 10/29/2014Wonderful meal. We were entertaining a large customer and the setting was perfect. Pleasant atmosphere and good acoustics for a business discussion.Special Features:
- Wonderful Evening...WonderfulDiningDined on 10/24/2014Excellent professional service, excellent food & perfect steaks, wonderful relaxed ambiance.. One of our favorite restaurants.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DONOVAN'S REVIEWBoxstermanDined on 10/21/2014Everything was outstanding until we got the check which had several errors and overcharged us about $50. It was corrected immediately when called to their attention. Donovan's uses a team approach (we had three different servers at different times) and I think that contributed to the problem on the check.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner!kcsazDined on 10/17/2014The steak was amazing and our waiter (Jay) was attentive and entertaining! We couldn't have asked for a more wonderful dinner. We will be back to celebrate our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wonderful servicestockdsDined on 10/17/2014Donovans is wonderful. The food is great, the service is impeccable. I love going here with my friends for special dinners. They make you feel welcome from the time you pull up to the valet. Our server was Merlin and he was truly a wizard. All of the service staff were great, they work together to ensure your experience is the best. The food is also wonderful...cooked to perfection. I had the halibut and it was just perfectly cooked and the beurre blanc sauce was to die for. My friends both had a filet, what a beautiful piece of meat and again cooked to perfection. Thank you for another wonderful dinner. We will be back. Oh I almost forgot..the chocolate mousse cake....oh my goodness...yummy!!!!! Try it...Special Features:
- Great in the end.BillVIPDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I were initially seated at a very small table (same size table next to it was being used for parties of one). We were moved immediately to a larger table when requested. We both ordered the medium filet mignon and were of the opinion that they were overcooked (or too charred per our waiter). They were immediately taken away and a short time later we were served two delicious filets that were just as we ordered. Thus the food and especially the service became outstanding after our initial disappointment. The overall value was also excellent in that our bottle of wine was complimentary when we received the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodturnerDined on 10/16/2014Very pricey, but good,,,good service,,restaurant was not to noisey, need to have more area to wait for tables, if not seated on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now this is a steakhouseReggie53Dined on 10/16/2014Every detail of this restaurant screams old school steakhouse: dark wood, subtle lighting, professional wait staff , excellent steaks and amazing martinis. It's a bit pricey but the experience is special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbiancePJsPicksDined on 10/16/2014This is the place ...great big city feel...excellent service...perfect steaks..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- personal all very very nice.foster8boysjbDined on 10/16/2014The salad was cut up too much not used to scooping a salad and the price also high. Meat too small for the price and 4 snow peas one carrot. Potato was good. The bread was good.
- AMAZINGDevineDined on 10/16/2014This has to be the best restaurant in the greater Phoenix area and yes, that includes Scottsdale and/or Paradise Valley. I just wish that I could go more often as it is a little pricey but it is an upscale restaurant.Special Features:
- Not Donovan's standardvisitorDined on 10/15/2014We go to Donovan's because of their earned respect for the highest quality and taste of food This time was disappointing on the steaks Both meals the steaks were dry and average quality for any chain restaurant not even close to Donovan's standard for a $200.00 mealSpecial Features:
- DisappointingKMMcVIPDined on 10/15/2014We had a couple of surprises. The first was, we arrived about 15 minutes early for our reservation and was told to wait until it got closer to our reservation time of 5:15 pm. The restaurant was empty at the time. The bigger surprise of my two was to see the pattern of 'Living Social' coupon holders being placed in a small room together. We still spent $200 and was placed at a table that rocked. When the waitress saw it rock, she placed a small plate under one of the legs. I feel like we were treated like second class customers, mainly by the hostess, based on being Living Social coupon customers. Both of my negative surprises were initiated by her. It was a disappointing experience and we have no plans on returning to Donovan's.
- IrishgirlIrishgirlDined on 10/15/2014We have been dining at Donovan's for years. This is the first time that it was mediocre. Steak was very good, not great. Soup du jour, split pea wasn't cooked. Had the soup numerous times in the past and it was cooked and seasoned perfectly. Asparagus wilted, baked potato undercooked and my crabmeat tasted like it had been served previously. I never write reviews, but I felt our last visit was warranted a comment. On a positive note, the martini was delicious.Special Features:
- scottsdalediningDined on 10/11/2014Excellent fine dining experience! We were here for a romantic wedding anniversary dinner just for the two of us. After being led to a quiet corner booth in the restaurant , we were seated at a "rose petal" covered table where we enjoyed our cocktails, followed by wine and our Prime filet mignon dinners. The filets were cooked to perfection! Sarah B and team provided us with outstanding service throughout the meal as well as surprising us with a complimentary dessert to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJediRob1VIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our second visit to Donovan's, and again it was fantastic. The food was wonderful--easily some of the best, if not THE best, steaks in town--and the service was equally great. This is a wonderful choice for a romantic dinner, a special occasion, or if you just want to splurge and treat yourself to an amazing steak with great side dishes.Special Features:
- AngelenoVIPDined on 10/10/2014Has to be a better way to deliver fresh fish in the desert
- Disappointing experienceNevadaKateVIPDined on 10/9/2014Dined at 6:30 on a Thursday. Upon ordering, we were informed that they "just ran out" of the ribeye. A steakhouse, running out of steak?! a young manager stopped by our table to explain that they had not received the order from their supplier. Reluctantly ordered the filet which was mushy in texture. Finally ended up with a sea bass full of small bones. In addition, our server only checked back with us once during our entire dinner and that was after we flagged him down. This used to be my favorite special occasion restaurant for birthdays and anniversary. We also held our annual Christmas office party here. There was been a significant decline in the once polished service. I'm sad to see this happen to this once-great steakhouse.
- ExcellentDisappointeddinerVIPDined on 10/6/2014We went to Donovan's to celebrate our anniversary while on a recent trip to Scottsdale. The service was top notch. Everyone from the hostess to the bus staff wished us a happy anniversary. Excellent special summer salad, steaks were cooked perfectly, and Brussels sprout side was also very good. Creme brûlée for dessert was good, but not the best I have had. Overall, a solid choice for a steak dinner in the Greater Phoenix area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks and morecytodocVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our 4th time was just as great as our first time with one exception. A table of three women were enjoying their food and wine rather spiritedly disrupting our relaxing and peaceful dinner. Service is usually good but this last time the waitress was trying too hard. Regardless, the food is always consistently great and we will be back.Special Features:
- 1gooddayDined on 10/4/2014This was my second visit to Donovans. As with the first, the service was amazing and the food was spectacular. Thank you for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014Very disappointed with the quality of our Filet. Definitely not worth the price we paid.
- Very good old school steakErin150VIPDined on 10/3/2014Reminded me of Peter Luger's in New York, the service was very good and I thought the steak was great. The menu however was very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014I mentioned when I made the reservation through open table that we would be celebrating our 33rd Wedding Anniversary. When we arrived at our table, which was a very nice rounded booth, there was a heart made of individual rose petals laid out on the table. Each person that approached our table greeted us by name and also congratulated us on our 33rd anniversary. The food was spectacular as was the service. The staff made everything very special and memorable! Thank you Donovan's!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerSealhunterDined on 9/30/2014On a business trip to Phoenix, needed a restaurant for a business dinner with senior company management. Excellent restaurant. Food was superb, service was outstanding. We were not rushed as we sat & discussed several issues we were reviewing.Special Features:
- capsDined on 9/27/2014The dining experience was fair due to the lack of our waiter's attention. We had to keep asking for another cocktail. The coffee was brought out to us and we had to ask for the dessert which was ordered all at the same time. This was a little unusual being that we were there a few times before and had no problems with the service. It was also "restaurant week" in Arizona, so not sure if this was the issue when we gave him our voucher... It seemed liked we were then treated differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Think Good Old Boys ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014reminds me of a restaurant we used to go to in California. So brings back memories. Good food and service.Special Features:
- Great service, good foodCharshaffDined on 9/27/2014Great spot for a special okay Asian or romantic dinner. The food was delicious and the service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.