Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
282 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (235)romantic (170)notable wine list (125)fit for foodies (90)good for groups (64)neighborhood gem (43)vibrant bar scene (41)hot spot (29)late-night find (27)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointedMSTONEVIPDined on 7/26/2014Have been to Donovans in the past and its not what it used to be, The waiter Chris was excellent, Food average. Dressed nicely and found people in the restaurant on a Saturday night in shorts, cut ff jeans and looked like they were eating at in and out burger. Does not have the class it used to.
- Wonderful eveningSharonSDined on 7/23/2014We had a great evening out with amazing steaks. Was pleased to see that side dishes (veg/choice of potato) are included with the entrée. Many other steak houses charge extra for these. Our filets were perfectly cooked and the recommended wine complemented the food precisely. Would definitely go back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service/food is parJNOX1Dined on 7/23/2014I ordered the 16oz rib eye and my dinner date had the bone in ny strip steak special. We both ordered medium well. Mine came out perfect...medium well. The NY steak didn't get the same result. We also ordered the sautéed mushrooms which was tasty n so was their cheesecake. What's nice about Donovon's is they also give you vegetables medley and a choice of potatoes with the entree. The Bill came out to be about $170 including a $20 corkage fee. We gave them $200 since their service was spectacular. =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing birthday dinner celebrationYumyumDDined on 7/22/2014Went to dinner for mom's birthday dinner. Everything was great. When we walked in the hostess told my mom happy birthday before we sat down. The wine list had a good selection. It is nice to go to eat somewhere it feels like the waiters really want you there and genuinely care about how you feel. The food was so awesome. Had a steak, it was cooked to perfection. You could cut the steak with a butter knife, it was so tender. The money spent here is always well worth it, the people, the food, the ambiance was all perfect. Got a great desert with a birthday candle. Everything was perfect, I can't think of anything I would change there.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!MrdimnDined on 7/22/2014Donovan's is a fantastic restaurant when it comes to steaks. I don't know about the fish, but the steaks are amazing. The steaks melt in your mouth.... Staff is friendly and helpful! Expect to drop a bit of cash. It's not cheap but it's a great place for business write-offs, and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbyDined on 7/22/2014as always, the dining experience at Donovan's is superb......no wonder people buy so many living socials......Special Features:
- Head waiter not friendlyoceansaverDined on 7/22/2014The head waiter wasn't friendly - this may be because we were using one of the local coupons. The food is alway top notch at Donavan's but this waiter made this outing a bad experience for my wife and I. Not sure if we will return to Donavan's again - there are plenty of quality restaurants in the area. Its not always the food that make the experience your waiter always sets the tone of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great staffDDubDined on 7/19/2014Donovan's is an excellent restaurant with fantastic steak and seafood dishes. The staff is attentive yet unobtrusive, and they do whatever they can to ensure everyone enjoys not just their meal, but their entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014For the prices . It was ok . Food was excellent ! Service when you have three staff members staffing your table should be a little more attentive. A disgusting piece of old moldy bread was between the seat and wall where our booth was . ( lost my appetite after this )several items my brother attempted to order we're no longer available and one of the meals of the 5 did not come with the others. This meal was top dollar, in addition to excellent food -I also expect service , ambiance , cleanliness to come with the experience .
- OutstandinghjermoianDined on 7/19/2014Best restaurant in North County. Excellent food and Service.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteDatenightDined on 7/19/2014Nothing but the best from the best when you arrive at Donovan's.Special Features:
- RochmanisDined on 7/18/2014Great Food, Great Service as usual ! Must try the Prime Rib Roast on Fridays only--Outstanding!Special Features:
- Great service and foodRobertDined on 7/17/2014Expect high-level service from knowledgable and attentive staff. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan's - La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2014This was a very classy place. The service was outstanding, and steaks were incredible along with the spinach salad.Special Features:
- Exceptional Attn to DetailSBPinotFanDined on 7/12/2014Elegant but relaxing. Service was the best we've had in years. Never felt like we were in a restaurant, but more like a meal at a home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening outsweetlouDined on 7/12/2014Our meal at Donovan's was a very pleasant experience. The food was delicious, and it should be for the exorbitant prices they charge. OK for an occasion, but not often.Special Features:
- Our 1st visit to Donovan'scountrygirl333Dined on 7/12/2014went for my hubby's bday. we were both had a wonderful experience. the best mac n' cheese I've ever had. augratin potatoes were delish too! hubby cut his steak with a FORK!! he was thrilled! got a complimentary crème brulee for dessert. it was delish too!! was too full to finish so I took it home, tasted just as good for breakfast the next day! will DEFINITELY go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ultimate Date NightpublicanDined on 7/11/2014We don't dine at fancy restaurants all that often so when we do we appreciate all the exceptional elements of fine dining. Donovan's met all the expectations and more. Great place to take your love and to have conversation over tender steak and savory sides. The dress code is clearly not enforced at the bar but it doesn't affect the ambience.Special Features:
- best of the bestdpkraftVIPDined on 7/10/2014This is the place if you want possibly the best meal you've ever had!Special Features:
- DonovansAcapulcoboldDined on 7/10/20145 Star Service, excellent food, Prime beef at its greatest. Simple ingredients, cooked to perfection. A++ highly recommended....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDoug700Dined on 7/10/2014It's been way too long since we've eaten at Donovan's and that won't happen again. It's nice to go to a real restaurant with real service and superb food. Nothing is left to chance. Love the ambiance, décor, soft appropriate background music and wait staff who know how it's done. Our experience couldn't have been better, and we won't wait so long next time.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLuvLJfoodDined on 7/9/2014The food was great, I had filet and shrimp with a baked potatoe. My wife had chicken, with au graten potatoes wheich she really enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donavan'sfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Fixe price menu is the best deal. Stay away from the crab legs add on. It's expensive and they were dry and over cooked The shrimp are good with the filet. Potatoes were solidified, so order one of the other side dishes. Our waitress didn't overview them for us so we didn't know at the time we had choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overallbananasplit5Dined on 7/5/2014Great ambiance, service, & food. The lamb chops were perfect, but I think they need to serve mint jelly or something other than ranch. The filet mignon was cooked perfectly. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and had the right amount of crunch to it. The mashed potatoes had a great consistency, texture, & flavor. I loved the roasted garlic in it and the texture added by the potato skins. The potatoes au gratin had a great buttery flavor and a nice crust on top. The ribeye was undercooked. I ordered it medium rare and it came out rare. The outside had a beautiful sear to it like the filet, but the inside was red and chilled. I should've asked for a fix, but I was so shocked that they undercooked my steak for such a nice specialized place.Special Features:
- Dependably outstanding!v8240zVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have tried most of the steakhouses in town, and Donovan's is by far the best, The level of service, the ambiance, and most of all the food, are always exceptional. If you are looking for a delicious meal and an evening that you will remember, this is the place. We recommend Donovan's to everyone we know for that extraordinary culinary endeavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedCNNLDined on 7/5/2014We had great service, great food as always. You never disappoint.Special Features:
- kpOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Food was not up to par. My husband tried two rib eye steaks. Both were riddled with chuncks of fat. Not marbled at all. The potatoes with the guyere cheese were under done and not edible. My filet was very good. However only one good meal for 200.00... No bueno!Special Features:
- One of the best Steakhouses in townaznmomDined on 7/3/2014I love this place. It never fails. They serve the best steaks, cooked to perfection as ordered and provide top notch service. It is worth the money especially when you are celebrating something special. My fiancé and I were celebrating our anniversary and we had the perfect table. The only distraction was we were seated next to another couple and one of them was talking really loud. It sort of ruined the romantic mood for me. Glad the food was great, though.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaystrueskewDined on 7/1/2014I went with the ribeye this time and was happily impressed by the taste. My wife felt the same about the filet mignon. Service is always excellent... they work for the customer. My check was ready and I had the card on the table, and the bus boy grabbed and said "let me get that for Brian". That's how it should work. I ate at another place last night, same situation, and a lot of people passed by my check without giving it a though.Special Features:
- Good dinnerrobiotDined on 6/28/2014The food was great. My husband had the soup of the day & ribeye and I had the shrimp scampi, both meals were delicious. For dessert, we had the complimentary creme brulee and that was absolutely amazing. The reason for my 3 star review: Our waitress was very nice but she dropped the ball on my wine order and my husband's soup came out after out entrees were served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experience!HenryDined on 6/27/2014Excellent service, food and wine list. I highly recommend this place for any special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than stellarNYfoodieDined on 6/27/2014I am not a meat eater but my party enjoyed their steaks. What I didn't enjoy was the service. I don't like partial clearing: wait until all the diners have finished a course before clearing the plates. I had to stop the servers twice from clearing plates before all the diners had finished. I shouldn't have had to say it at all. This is an expensive restaurant and no one should feel rushed. Our main server was also "snooty". He may have thought he was being cute, but his manner had an edge and his affect was a bit arrogant. Our party may not have been important to him; we were from out of town and weren't regulars. My feelings were reflected in the tip.Special Features:
- Always delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014This is one of my all time favorite places to dine. Staff is especially attentive and polite. Food is delicious and well presented. The whole package that Donovan's embodies is why it's my favorite place....especially for my birthday!Special Features:
- Great steaks and service as usuallclee70Dined on 6/26/2014I've been to Donovan's and as usual, the service and food are excellent.Special Features:
- Awesome experienceDivinedinerDined on 6/21/2014Food was excellent , service was flawless , and over all experience was fantastic!! We have gone to Donovan's many times for special occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan's Steak and Chop HousewammieDined on 6/21/2014We bought a Living Social coupon and thought we would go try it out had heard it was an Amazing place to go for dinner and it was just that we had a really Amazing Dinner and Appetizers but even more than that we had Amazingly Great Waiter (Thomas) he went way out of his way to make sure everything went just Perfect can't wait to go back but will make sure Thomas is working and get one of his Tables.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiance all aroundAndreaCDined on 6/21/2014Food was spectacular and the service was just as good. The martini's are strong and perfect, just the way they should be. Good wine you can find many places, including here, but the martini's are the best in San Diego.Special Features:
- So great!GJandCsmommaDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I went to Donavan's to celebrate my husbands birthday. We were treated like gold the entire time we were there. Like we mattered. It was also fun that everyone wished him a happy birthday too. The service and the food was spectacular and the complimentary birthday creme brûlée was the icing on the cake. Thank you, Donavan's for a wonderful evening and for helping us celebrate in style. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!BrettDined on 6/18/2014As always, Donovan's never disappoints! My out of town guests were very impressed.Special Features:
- Very disappointingDarlaDined on 6/15/2014Through the years my family has used Donovan's as our elegant special occasion restaurant. The service was always outstanding and the food was always wonderful. Something has changed there and we don't know what, but our last two experiences were not up to the same level we always had there. My Porkchop was so tough I couldn't cut it with my steak knife and our waiter had to take it back. My daughter's vegetarian plate had little on it that was appealing. For a restaurant of this caliber we were beyond disappointed in our food. The only course I can recommend that night was their Caesar salad which was up to par. Sadly I have no desire to go back there again for any special occasion or even just for dinner.