Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
342 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (292)romantic (214)notable wine list (153)fit for foodies (106)good for groups (72)vibrant bar scene (51)neighborhood gem (50)hot spot (34)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- SuperbStevoskiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Donovan's never fails to exceed expectations and the food was so good as usual. Service was impeccable made more so by Jeb's story about the Gallo brothers! Thank you Donovan's for another awesome evening.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We wanted somewhere special to go to celebrate and I thought of trying Donovan's for the first time. The ambience was gorgeous, the staff could not have been nicer and the food was amazing. We have decided to make this a regular date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A traditionCynHuntDined on 8/14/2014We always celebrate my daughter's birthday at Donovan's. But sometimes when we feel like some very good beef, we will dine there. The meat is always cooked perfectly to order and it's the best steak in San Diego. Service has always been great. I recommend it highly.Special Features:
- stuck in a corneroutcastDined on 8/14/2014Food was good not great we were stuck in a small room in the back felt like pesants i would never eat here again .Don't treat out of town guests like red headed step children.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parents' Rare Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014My dad finally used a Donovan's gift card that he received as a retirement gift to have a nice dinner with my mom (they've been married for 42 years). It was dad's birthday and unfortunately my brother and I were unable to celebrate in the middle of the work week. Between the service and the quality of the food, my parents could do nothing but rave about their Donovan's experience. Thank you for making them feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food once againHappyCustomerDined on 8/13/2014This place never gets it wrong. Love the food here. My wife and I went again this past weekend and the food was just great. I ordered the Cajun Rib Eye. 16 oz. Lightly Cajun seasoned which was just so rich in spices and taste. I ordered the My wife ordered the Prime Filet. 10 oz. and she loved it. Everyone gets the same vegetables with their entry but the side of potato options was great. My wife ordered the stuffed potato which was normal but good nonetheless, and I ordered the skillet potato which was great.Special Features:
- ReservationIrateyouDined on 8/9/2014We had a 6:45 reservation and called them while on the road to say we were running about 10mins. late but we actually got there around 6:50. Definitely did NOT appreciate the long wait and people bumping into us left and right. For such a pricey restaurant, they did not offer a decent lobby space to wait at. We're amateur wine drinker so we expected our server to know what to reccommend based on our taste, but he did asks which was took a while for him to get back just as it took a while for our orders which was not cooked the way we liked. I wanted to experience the place for our anniversary, but for the $$$$ is not what was expected. The ambiance was nice, the outdoor surrounding was even better and our second server was attentive.Special Features:
- Great service and foodSDLocalDined on 8/9/2014Awesome service and food, Bobby is fantastic!!! The steak is the best as are the lamb chops, ask for them to extra spicy!!Special Features:
- Coconutgirl1Coconutgirl1Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely fantabulous restaurant! Michael and I had such great service! The staff was so welcoming when we walked into the restaurant. Such a pleasure to have dine there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treat to eat at Donovan's.girlluvsfoodDined on 8/9/2014This is our go-to place for special occasions. We were however disappointed that there was no acknowledgement that this was a birthday celebration as was noted on the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday celebrationLuv2eatDined on 8/8/2014My nephew and I had a wonderful experience at Donovan's. It was the first time I have eaten here and the service was remarkable. The food mouth watering. I can't say enough about the experience. I have already recommended it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGr8ServiceDined on 8/8/2014Donovan's had wonderful service. We were greeted by two-three servers that worked as a team to make sure we received everything we could even need. They were very friendly and accommodating through out our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- golfflopDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary at Donovan's and had a great time. The staff knew of our celebration and greeted us with a "Happy Anniversary" as we entered the restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. It was my first time at Donovan's (not my wife's), and it was truly a treat.Special Features:
- dlu25Dined on 8/5/2014My wife and I dine here at least 4-5 times a year, the service is always great and the food is always terrific. Coming in for 25 wedding anniversary the staff was energetic but rushed this night, usually not like that but its ok we enjoy the food and atmosphere. We were taken care to the fullest and given a special anniversary crème Brule, most enjoyable. Thanks always for great food, great service and atmosphere, always feel welcomed especially when our name is always at our table.Special Features:
- OKdine81214Dined on 8/2/2014My daughter recommended us to check out Donovan for out 18th anniversary. I've been to several restaurants similar to Donovan and my final experience that it is nothing spectacular. The area we got seated was loud and waiter was talking too loud to other tables. The service was great and food was good.Special Features:
- Great food as usualSue92024Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was busy. First they sat us at a table in a back room with about 6 tables. Very secluded from the rest of the restaurant. There was a light right above my head. It felt light a spotlight. So we were moved to another table in that room. The room just did not have a Donovan's vibe. So we found a table in the bar area and at there. Once there, all was good.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceadsb512Dined on 8/2/2014It's pricey, but it is worth it. Delicious steaks, chops and seafood. Terrific service, especially if Jonathan is your server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 anniversary at D'sOnlythebestDined on 8/2/2014Incredible service and food. Perfect night. Happy hour is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night w/HusbandFunNightDined on 8/2/2014LOVED it ! have been going here for Years and for the First time sat in the "Charger Room" it was Perfect and the our Service from "Thomas" was Spot On :) Great Food and ExperienceSpecial Features:
- The best steak you'll ever eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014What an incredible experience! We want to go back already, though we've made it a special occasion spot. If you are looking for a great steak, you will NOT be disappointed! We have celebrated a birthday two years in a row and the steak was exactly the same each time. The steak is cooked to perfection and the flavor is to die for. The sides and salads are also delicious but nothing matches the steak. This year, we added the chilled seafood tower and what a treat! So fresh, and incredibly delicious! And the presentation is impressive. If you love seafood, try it out!Special Features:
- FrastinDined on 7/30/2014We always enjoy completely, our dining experience and both of us, (Gerrie and Dave) have the same great feeling, which we call ("floaty" and wonderful), that continues even after we have left. Thanks for another great evening!....DaveSpecial Features:
- Much better!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014We have not been to this location in a few years. I can say one thing.....the food was very much better than before. I the chop salad was very good. They could do a little more to shape it on the plate. My wife had the filet and I had the NY strip. I like it when the plates are hot so you can under order the temperature of the steak and cook it on the plate. To us that spells success! I just plum loved the flavor of the NY strip! It was fricking awesome! The filet was very, very...very good!
- Donovan's was a delight! *****Mspersnickety1Dined on 7/30/2014The staff was personable and generously attentive. Scott was on top of our every need... and a thank you to the graceful owner for stopping by to check on us and say hello, what a wonderful touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great birthday dinner for my ladyjwintoshDined on 7/28/2014thoroughly enjoyed our evening. we brought our own bottle of wine, a very nicely aged Napa Valley Zin (well worth the $20 corkage fee). I did not think to ask the waiter to aerate it. and he did not. oh well, still tasted great! we have enjoyed Donovan's and will continue to!Special Features:
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We dined here Saturday Night to celebrate our son's 17th Birthday, his restaurant of choice! We dined here last year and they remembered he was lactose intolerate! Food never disappoints! Our family had the following and all were excellent: Filet, Bone-in Ribeye, Filet w/ Bacon wrapped Scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jschoiceDined on 7/26/2014We love Donavan's in La Jolla. Get there early to enjoy a nice quiet glass of wine or your favorite beverage in their friendly lounge. The potaotes au gratin are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMSTONEVIPDined on 7/26/2014Have been to Donovans in the past and its not what it used to be, The waiter Chris was excellent, Food average. Dressed nicely and found people in the restaurant on a Saturday night in shorts, cut ff jeans and looked like they were eating at in and out burger. Does not have the class it used to.
- Classic DiningCsalenDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I loved the ambience of the restaurant. It has a classic feel to it. This is the kind of restaurant we prefer to go to for special occasions. Not to mention, both the food and the service was wonderful!!Special Features:
- Really good but not superbOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Service was great, the filet wasn't the best I've ever had for sure, the scallops were excellent as was the lobster. Just missed a touch on the steak - seasoning, sear, not sure, just not perfect.Special Features:
- BMain22Dined on 7/26/2014We are always well taken care of and treated like family. The manager makes it a point to spend time chatting with us and makes sure we are comfortable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDwsquaredDined on 7/25/2014We went for my boyfriends birthday. The service was exceptional and food just as good! Our steak was cooked to order and we appreciated being left to relax after dinner and not rushed to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningSharonSDined on 7/23/2014We had a great evening out with amazing steaks. Was pleased to see that side dishes (veg/choice of potato) are included with the entrée. Many other steak houses charge extra for these. Our filets were perfectly cooked and the recommended wine complemented the food precisely. Would definitely go back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service/food is parJNOX1Dined on 7/23/2014I ordered the 16oz rib eye and my dinner date had the bone in ny strip steak special. We both ordered medium well. Mine came out perfect...medium well. The NY steak didn't get the same result. We also ordered the sautéed mushrooms which was tasty n so was their cheesecake. What's nice about Donovon's is they also give you vegetables medley and a choice of potatoes with the entree. The Bill came out to be about $170 including a $20 corkage fee. We gave them $200 since their service was spectacular. =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing birthday dinner celebrationYumyumDDined on 7/22/2014Went to dinner for mom's birthday dinner. Everything was great. When we walked in the hostess told my mom happy birthday before we sat down. The wine list had a good selection. It is nice to go to eat somewhere it feels like the waiters really want you there and genuinely care about how you feel. The food was so awesome. Had a steak, it was cooked to perfection. You could cut the steak with a butter knife, it was so tender. The money spent here is always well worth it, the people, the food, the ambiance was all perfect. Got a great desert with a birthday candle. Everything was perfect, I can't think of anything I would change there.Special Features:
- Fantastic food!MrdimnDined on 7/22/2014Donovan's is a fantastic restaurant when it comes to steaks. I don't know about the fish, but the steaks are amazing. The steaks melt in your mouth.... Staff is friendly and helpful! Expect to drop a bit of cash. It's not cheap but it's a great place for business write-offs, and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobbyDined on 7/22/2014as always, the dining experience at Donovan's is superb......no wonder people buy so many living socials......Special Features:
- Head waiter not friendlyoceansaverDined on 7/22/2014The head waiter wasn't friendly - this may be because we were using one of the local coupons. The food is alway top notch at Donavan's but this waiter made this outing a bad experience for my wife and I. Not sure if we will return to Donavan's again - there are plenty of quality restaurants in the area. Its not always the food that make the experience your waiter always sets the tone of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great staffDDubDined on 7/19/2014Donovan's is an excellent restaurant with fantastic steak and seafood dishes. The staff is attentive yet unobtrusive, and they do whatever they can to ensure everyone enjoys not just their meal, but their entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014For the prices . It was ok . Food was excellent ! Service when you have three staff members staffing your table should be a little more attentive. A disgusting piece of old moldy bread was between the seat and wall where our booth was . ( lost my appetite after this )several items my brother attempted to order we're no longer available and one of the meals of the 5 did not come with the others. This meal was top dollar, in addition to excellent food -I also expect service , ambiance , cleanliness to come with the experience .
- OutstandinghjermoianDined on 7/19/2014Best restaurant in North County. Excellent food and Service.Special Features: