Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
425 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (363)romantic (261)notable wine list (188)fit for foodies (134)good for groups (82)vibrant bar scene (82)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (42)late-night find (29)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Always outstanding, the food is absolutely the best around and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014It was definitely good, quality food. Was it my most favorite dining experience ever...no, but it was still really good. I would definitely go back if it's in the budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scoupe93Dined on 9/26/2014Donovans always exceeds our expectations! Our favorite place for date night. Can't wait to visit your new location!Special Features:
- Ben SavingamblerDined on 9/26/2014Always enjoy dining at Donovan's. Excellent food, service and personal attention that we get from the staff.Special Features:
- We always enjoy eating there.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Went four our anniversary and it was very special. Our food was delicious and the service was outstanding. They even brought us a creme brulee with two candles to celebrate the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRIchardDined on 9/25/2014From the time we walked in the door, until we received our vehicle in the valet parking, the staff at Donovan's was attentive and helpful. It was a great experience all around and I would recommend Donovan's to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovans, goodbyeDoneavansDined on 9/24/2014It's probably going to close in January or move someplace else, but Donovan's was amazing. Restaurant week helped with the prices considering bacon wrapped scallops (although perfectly cooked) were almost 20 bucks. Ouch! But the place is gorgeous and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Wonderful atmosphere, good valet, late on reservation, had another cocktail!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysML896Dined on 9/24/2014This time we went for restaurant week. The food was good, and was prepared well. Service good as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their usual!BasilDined on 9/24/2014The food was excellent, but the service was lacking. Maybe because it is restaurant week.Special Features:
- Awesome food and servicefoodieDined on 9/24/2014The only thing better than the food was the service. My steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. Three waiters ensured we didn't want for anything. Awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingrandallDined on 9/24/2014The best steak in San Diego. The service is also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryDined on 9/23/2014Outstanding, as usual! I am a little sad they're moving because it's so easy to get to right now. La Jolla, while beautiful, is a more difficult drive with traffic and parking is more of a chore. I will also miss the space, which is just as a steakhouse should be!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!dpkraftVIPDined on 9/23/2014When it comes to fine dining, this is the best of the best.Special Features:
- Restaurant week1stimerDined on 9/22/2014Had an amazing first time here. There was actually more to the restaurant week menu. Our waiters great. Great first time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBWMTDined on 9/22/2014Dinner was great was busy with Restaurant week and end of Living Social coupon but the service was excellent and so were the Lamb ChopsSpecial Features:
- Always a wonderful place.MrDimnDined on 9/20/2014Donovan's is always a fantastic steak house. Always enjoyable. Expect to spend a few more dollars than usual, but the quality is phenomenal. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is as good as it getsSDLouDined on 9/20/2014Living back east for most of my life, I find it hard to find a place that truly knows good service. Donovan's hits the ball out of the park. Our server and the other folks on the staff were outstanding. If you're looking for a very nice place to go to for that special occasion, Donovan's is where it's at. Oh and did I forget to mention that the food was excellent. A bit longer wait on the weekends to get your steak the perfect temperature, but who's in a hurry at a place like this. Enjoy the company of wife, girlfriend or friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakkartracrDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time dining at Donovan's. The New York strip steak was excellent (again). We took friends for their first time (it was one of their birthday's). They also enjoyed the steaks (filet and rib eye).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Always a great dining experience: delicious food, wonderful service, nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ExperiencekatielouDined on 9/20/2014It was so nice to be spoiled with such a pleasant and service focused dining experience. The food was delectable and our servers, Chris, Aaron, and Enrique, were amazing and friendly and took such great care of us. Thank you for making our 7th wedding anniversary so special and well treated.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!808LocalDined on 9/20/2014I took my son to Donovan's. It was his first fine dining experience and he enjoyed the food and the wait staff. They were extremely friendly and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingsteakloversuniteDined on 9/19/2014The service was spectacular until the end when we produced a Living Social coupon, at which point it took a dive, despite an almost 25% tip on the total amount before coupon. Up until that point, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMeatloverDined on 9/19/2014Very nice restaurant. Good food. Nice atmosphere. Very slow service. Too many people serving each table. Very confusing and slows the dining process. Only go if you have hours to waste. Avoid this restaurant if you are really hungry. Sat at the table for nearly 30 mins before our order was taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Went there for our anniversary. Everything about this place is FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant and foodsteaksntailsDined on 9/18/2014I went there with my wife for her birthday. Excellent food and service. They gave us a complimentary dessert. Not your everyday restaurant, but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was excellent but too expensive for the relatively small portions.Special Features:
- Wonderfuldamoses21VIPDined on 9/18/2014Everything was perfect! My husbands steak was amazing my Chilean sea bass was amazing, the bread and sides were great! A good quality old school steak house!Special Features:
- AwesomeBobgggggggDined on 9/18/2014AwesommmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meat and Potatoes RestaurantDONEDined on 9/18/2014We have now dined twice at Donovan's La Jolla and found the food good but not outstanding. We tried the Filet Mignon which was dry. Normally when you cut into a nice piece of medium rare beef there is juice on your plate, the juice was not there and the flavor was not as it should have been, although it was tender. Chop salad was good but not the best we have had and the smashed garlic potatoes were very nice. Veges are coated with oils which takes away from natural flavor. White bread is served with meal, prefer more earthy breads. Chilean Sea Bass nice, Bok Choy tough. Calamari good, Crab Cake average. If you like exotic intriguing flavors, you may find Donovan's food a bit bland for your palate. Would love to see menu expanded.Special Features:
- Fave steak jointAmandaTDined on 9/17/2014We love coming here! The food is amazing and the service is always on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolJoemamaVIPDined on 9/17/2014Go to Donovans, La Jolla if you are in to steaks and old schoool dinning. The steaks are perfectly prepared. The service is xlnt. But, you should also be prepared to pat $45-60 for those steaks. My wife and I ate at Donovans for the second time and had a different experience. We had fillet medallions with scampi, and with scallops. Both at $42, and a better value than $60 for the porterhouse which we had the first time.Special Features:
- Best steak EVER!JoJoSanDiegoDined on 9/17/2014Truly a dining experience ... great service, only surmounted by the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went the extra mile...FAARetirementDined on 9/17/2014I reserved a table for a retirement party. When we got to Donovan's, they put us in a special room secluded from the rest of the restaurant. The atmosphere was outstanding and the service even better. While I already knew that Donovan's in La Jolla was exceptional, this took it to another level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We have eaten here many times for special occasions.Special Features:
- great food and great serviceJackLindaDined on 9/15/2014The best steak, cooked exactly as we ordered it,medium rare with a nice seared outside. This was served with a perfectly baked potato and above average veggies. The potato is them topped worth your choice of toppings... butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and real chives(not green onion tops) They are also generous with the bread and butter, which has a nice crust and sweet yeasty flavor. The meals are large enough to share and they gladly split the plate for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service808LocalDined on 9/13/2014If you enjoy a good steak coupled with excellent service, this is the restaurant! Prime cuts of steak are cooked perfectly to order. Plenty of delicious side dishes to choose from along with a vast list of wine, cocktail and beer list. The service is friendly and outstanding!Special Features:
- You know what to expectiheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Consistency is good! The meat is always cooked perfectly. Victor is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent- but moving!CarlaRNVIPDined on 9/13/2014Always a special treat. Wonderfully attentive service. Very sad to hear Donovan's is moving from their primo UTC location to the inconvenient downtown La Jolla (in the Azul location) due to their lease holder discouraging their continued contract. This will occur after the first of the year. What a loss for UTC medical and corporate patrons. Supposedly, a more lunch-friendly moderately-priced, modern trendy (I.e., small "healthy" portions), eatery will replace them, but the Donovan's experience is irreplaceable.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedNewDinerDined on 9/13/2014I thought that the staff was friendly and somewhat attentive. The restaurant was dimly lit, but pleasant. I did not like care for the music playing. I would have liked something more relaxing playing in the background. People that I know have had very positive things to say about Donovan's, but I was not very impressed. The food was good, but not for the price.Special Features: