Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
354 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (303)romantic (225)notable wine list (160)fit for foodies (115)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (59)neighborhood gem (55)hot spot (40)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (8)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- I'm a regular at Donovan's La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I have been in San Diego for over 26 years Nd have frequented virtually every high end restaurant offered here. By far, Donovan's experience form the the door man to Victor (who is outstanding as a "manager") to the service to the exquisite food, to the valet is a 10 star. I not only have taken high end business associates there but also my family on a regular basis. Dating for the first time?....it's a win win for you! The menu and specials are outstanding. I can not count how many times I have been to Donovan's but honestly have never had one complaint! A comment on the noise leve: perfect for meetings!Special Features:
- Wife B DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Returned to Donovan's la Jolla for wife's Birthday dinner. Overall an outstanding evening hi lighted by stellar wait staff. With regard to the meal the Filet Mignon perfect medium well and while maybe not my absolute favorite steak in town it is certainly a top quality cut of meat. Scallops and Shrimp Scampi 5 star items. And the lobster was succulent, cooked to perfection. Hopefully we can make it 3 years In a row in 2015. Thank you Donovan's for an enjoyable evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ribeye NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Service was great. Both the Cajun Ribeye and the Ribeye steak was amazing, juicy and tender. Mac & Cheese lovers, so always have to order a side. Top off the evening with a slice of cheesecake, which is so light and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014This is a great place but prices aren't for the faint of heart. Well worth the money for the quality of everything from the ambiance to the food to the service. Great for a special occasion or romantic evening. Add the blue cheese to your steak it is to die for, unless you don't like blue cheese.Special Features:
- Overpriced and not worth the valueOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014Eat in the lounge area, not the dining room. The lounge is good when they offer happy hour specials, otherwise cocktails and food are also extremely overpriced. Service in the lounge area was great. Service in the dining room was non-existent. The steak that I ordered was WAAAAY overpriced and everything else was ala carte and also not worth the price. For a restaurant that is supposedly known for their steaks, this was a huge disappointment. I had eaten at their location in the Gaslamp several months ago and had the same experience, so it does not vary by location. You receive the same overpriced product and poor service consistently at both locations. There are much better locations to pay for overpriced food and poor service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent dining as always, Service trio were very attentive and informed. Always a highlight to visit Donovan's.Special Features:
- Suprior Restaurant and ServiceBernieDined on 8/23/2014It was nice to be able to go to a First Class restaurant and not have to pay for parking. Christopher and team were the best. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We dined at Donovans Steak House for the first time on Aug. 23rd to celebrate our 45th anniversary. In past years, we had always gone to nearby Flemings ... and always had excellent steaks and service. However, Flemings was always so loud we had to shout to hear each other at even a small table. Donovans provides a much quieter, more romantic atmosphere where you can talk in a normal voice ... plus comfortable plush booths and steaks and service equal to Donovans. We will return regularly.Special Features:
- Had Better SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Went out for an anniversary dinner. It was our first visit to Donovan's - La Jolla. The restaurant was very nice. The decor and ambiance were both excellent. I heard many times of their amazing service and it was every bit as good as advertised. Truly impressive. We had an amazing crab cake appetizer and ordered New York Strip Steaks. I was anticipating a delicious steak and I was disappointed. It was cooked well (mine was medium rare, the wife's medium) but it seriously lacked flavor and ended up a bit chewy. I have had much better steaks for far less money. Although the overall experience was very good, the steaks just kind of took the edge off the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014We always pick Donovan's for our go to restaurant to celebrate a special occasion and it never disappoints. Great food and excellent service!Special Features:
- ChrissieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a great place to dine for special occasions simply because the food is very good, the service is top notch, but the prices are top dollar. On special occasions you don't mind paying the price.Special Features:
- Great placeMRreviewDined on 8/22/2014I went with my wife and a couple friends service was excellent food was awesome I ordered the filet mignon 16oz and it was cook perfectly it also came with mashed potatoes and vegetables also very good I didn't have dessert I was to full great place I would definitely go again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodJmakDined on 8/22/2014We haven't been to Donovan's in a while and again they did not miss. The filet and ribeye was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerSnuzDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 40th anniversary here. Every person who waited on us wished us happy anniversary. The service was wonderful and we felt very special. We even used a Living Social voucher and we were still treated like royalty. Try the filet mignon, you won't be sorry. By the way they have wonderful bleu cheese stuffed olives and a great martini and we received creme brûlée as a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. We highly recommend and will go back for full price for sure. Thanks Donovan's!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best.FrankDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant is spectacular. The food is consistently remarkable. The service is wonderful. And the management pays great attention to detail. Seeing your name on a brass plaque at the head of the table reminds you that they think you're special. It will always be a place we will celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbStevoskiVIPDined on 8/16/2014Donovan's never fails to exceed expectations and the food was so good as usual. Service was impeccable made more so by Jeb's story about the Gallo brothers! Thank you Donovan's for another awesome evening.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We wanted somewhere special to go to celebrate and I thought of trying Donovan's for the first time. The ambience was gorgeous, the staff could not have been nicer and the food was amazing. We have decided to make this a regular date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A traditionCynHuntDined on 8/14/2014We always celebrate my daughter's birthday at Donovan's. But sometimes when we feel like some very good beef, we will dine there. The meat is always cooked perfectly to order and it's the best steak in San Diego. Service has always been great. I recommend it highly.Special Features:
- stuck in a corneroutcastDined on 8/14/2014Food was good not great we were stuck in a small room in the back felt like pesants i would never eat here again .Don't treat out of town guests like red headed step children.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parents' Rare Night OutOside760Dined on 8/14/2014My dad finally used a Donovan's gift card that he received as a retirement gift to have a nice dinner with my mom (they've been married for 42 years). It was dad's birthday and unfortunately my brother and I were unable to celebrate in the middle of the work week. Between the service and the quality of the food, my parents could do nothing but rave about their Donovan's experience. Thank you for making them feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food once againHappyCustomerDined on 8/13/2014This place never gets it wrong. Love the food here. My wife and I went again this past weekend and the food was just great. I ordered the Cajun Rib Eye. 16 oz. Lightly Cajun seasoned which was just so rich in spices and taste. I ordered the My wife ordered the Prime Filet. 10 oz. and she loved it. Everyone gets the same vegetables with their entry but the side of potato options was great. My wife ordered the stuffed potato which was normal but good nonetheless, and I ordered the skillet potato which was great.Special Features:
- ReservationIrateyouDined on 8/9/2014We had a 6:45 reservation and called them while on the road to say we were running about 10mins. late but we actually got there around 6:50. Definitely did NOT appreciate the long wait and people bumping into us left and right. For such a pricey restaurant, they did not offer a decent lobby space to wait at. We're amateur wine drinker so we expected our server to know what to reccommend based on our taste, but he did asks which was took a while for him to get back just as it took a while for our orders which was not cooked the way we liked. I wanted to experience the place for our anniversary, but for the $$$$ is not what was expected. The ambiance was nice, the outdoor surrounding was even better and our second server was attentive.Special Features:
- Great service and foodSDLocalDined on 8/9/2014Awesome service and food, Bobby is fantastic!!! The steak is the best as are the lamb chops, ask for them to extra spicy!!Special Features:
- Coconutgirl1Coconutgirl1Dined on 8/9/2014Absolutely fantabulous restaurant! Michael and I had such great service! The staff was so welcoming when we walked into the restaurant. Such a pleasure to have dine there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treat to eat at Donovan's.girlluvsfoodDined on 8/9/2014This is our go-to place for special occasions. We were however disappointed that there was no acknowledgement that this was a birthday celebration as was noted on the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous birthday celebrationLuv2eatDined on 8/8/2014My nephew and I had a wonderful experience at Donovan's. It was the first time I have eaten here and the service was remarkable. The food mouth watering. I can't say enough about the experience. I have already recommended it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGr8ServiceDined on 8/8/2014Donovan's had wonderful service. We were greeted by two-three servers that worked as a team to make sure we received everything we could even need. They were very friendly and accommodating through out our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- golfflopDined on 8/7/2014My wife and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary at Donovan's and had a great time. The staff knew of our celebration and greeted us with a "Happy Anniversary" as we entered the restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. It was my first time at Donovan's (not my wife's), and it was truly a treat.Special Features:
- dlu25Dined on 8/5/2014My wife and I dine here at least 4-5 times a year, the service is always great and the food is always terrific. Coming in for 25 wedding anniversary the staff was energetic but rushed this night, usually not like that but its ok we enjoy the food and atmosphere. We were taken care to the fullest and given a special anniversary crème Brule, most enjoyable. Thanks always for great food, great service and atmosphere, always feel welcomed especially when our name is always at our table.Special Features:
- OKdine81214Dined on 8/2/2014My daughter recommended us to check out Donovan for out 18th anniversary. I've been to several restaurants similar to Donovan and my final experience that it is nothing spectacular. The area we got seated was loud and waiter was talking too loud to other tables. The service was great and food was good.Special Features:
- Great food as usualSue92024Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was busy. First they sat us at a table in a back room with about 6 tables. Very secluded from the rest of the restaurant. There was a light right above my head. It felt light a spotlight. So we were moved to another table in that room. The room just did not have a Donovan's vibe. So we found a table in the bar area and at there. Once there, all was good.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceadsb512Dined on 8/2/2014It's pricey, but it is worth it. Delicious steaks, chops and seafood. Terrific service, especially if Jonathan is your server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25 anniversary at D'sOnlythebestDined on 8/2/2014Incredible service and food. Perfect night. Happy hour is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night w/HusbandFunNightDined on 8/2/2014LOVED it ! have been going here for Years and for the First time sat in the "Charger Room" it was Perfect and the our Service from "Thomas" was Spot On :) Great Food and ExperienceSpecial Features:
- The best steak you'll ever eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014What an incredible experience! We want to go back already, though we've made it a special occasion spot. If you are looking for a great steak, you will NOT be disappointed! We have celebrated a birthday two years in a row and the steak was exactly the same each time. The steak is cooked to perfection and the flavor is to die for. The sides and salads are also delicious but nothing matches the steak. This year, we added the chilled seafood tower and what a treat! So fresh, and incredibly delicious! And the presentation is impressive. If you love seafood, try it out!Special Features:
- FrastinDined on 7/30/2014We always enjoy completely, our dining experience and both of us, (Gerrie and Dave) have the same great feeling, which we call ("floaty" and wonderful), that continues even after we have left. Thanks for another great evening!....DaveSpecial Features:
- Much better!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014We have not been to this location in a few years. I can say one thing.....the food was very much better than before. I the chop salad was very good. They could do a little more to shape it on the plate. My wife had the filet and I had the NY strip. I like it when the plates are hot so you can under order the temperature of the steak and cook it on the plate. To us that spells success! I just plum loved the flavor of the NY strip! It was fricking awesome! The filet was very, very...very good!
- Donovan's was a delight! *****Mspersnickety1Dined on 7/30/2014The staff was personable and generously attentive. Scott was on top of our every need... and a thank you to the graceful owner for stopping by to check on us and say hello, what a wonderful touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great birthday dinner for my ladyjwintoshDined on 7/28/2014thoroughly enjoyed our evening. we brought our own bottle of wine, a very nicely aged Napa Valley Zin (well worth the $20 corkage fee). I did not think to ask the waiter to aerate it. and he did not. oh well, still tasted great! we have enjoyed Donovan's and will continue to!Special Features:
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We dined here Saturday Night to celebrate our son's 17th Birthday, his restaurant of choice! We dined here last year and they remembered he was lactose intolerate! Food never disappoints! Our family had the following and all were excellent: Filet, Bone-in Ribeye, Filet w/ Bacon wrapped Scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.