Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (858) 450-6666
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
367 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (313)romantic (232)notable wine list (172)fit for foodies (121)good for groups (80)vibrant bar scene (79)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (44)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great SteakPmenDined on 11/18/2014Very nice dining experience albeit very expensive. Hard to dine as a single when out on business. Wanted to treat myself to a good steak. Wasn't disappointed. Waitstaff were somewhat cold to a single diner, but the meal was delivered in a timely manner. Probably will not return, but do recommend for premium meat entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakBigDDined on 11/15/2014I had the bone in ribeye. Rhe steak was perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, and tasted awesome. I recommended Donovan's to anyone looking for a great Steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DMffodiedmfoodie1VIPDined on 11/14/2014We dined at Donovan's prior to attending play in La Jolla. Waiter was excellent, very knowledgeable with regards to selecting a bottle of wine for our table. Fish Chowder was very good. Meat was cooked perfect, however all the potato dishes were lacking in flavor and creativity. Overall service was outstanding.
- Really slow service, good food...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2014Went here for dinner and the service was slow. It started off well with the waitress coming over to take our drink order, but it took 10 minutes for my drink to come. For appetizers my friend ordered a wedge and I ordered a cup of chowder. My friend got their wedge, but never got my chowder. At first I thought it was going to come later , but it never came. It took me 5 minutes to flag down someone and then found out it was never put into the system. While our steaks were perfectly prepared, it took 40 minutes for them to come out after the appetizers were finished. We ordered dessert which was good. Bill came out to be $235 for two people and in my opinion, if you're spending this kind of money, the experience should be better. On a side note, the staff was really friendly and attentive.
- Birthday DinnereagleDined on 11/8/2014After taking her to lunch several times, she said she liked Filet Mignon and I said it was my favorite as well. I made reservations through Open Table for Donovan's. I have never made online reservations, but it was easy. When we got there we were greeted right away by the staff. The wait staff were great and made us feel very welcome. We already knew what we were going to order, but when the Filet Mignon came it was tender, flavorful and exceeded my expectations. She enjoyed the Filet as well and said it was the best she'd ever tasted. She opened her presents and right after they brought out Creme Brulee with a candle on it. We discovered another favorite we both had in common and shared the dessert. Best Birthday dinner, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- me eat goodmeeatgoodDined on 11/6/2014it's moving to downtown La Jolla : I will not go to that traffic mess not matter how much I love this returant. well,, there's still Fleming's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedRLBLVIPDined on 11/5/2014Love the food and excellent servive! We took our parents there for the first time and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No comment.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2014No comment. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before it goesLaJollaLoveDined on 10/31/2014Donovan's is classic and cozy. You can get dressed up or wear good jeans with a blouse. The wine selection is good, but not too vast or bizarre. It's location is HARD to find across from the mall hidden behind office buildings, but that is a large reason they are moving to downtown La Jolla. I assume once there they may not be so quiet and may be a little less of a hidden gem. So go there now while you can enjoy the slow atmosphere that allows you to eat at your own pace. Once downtown, they may need to rush people out as good steak in downtown is hard to find since Jake's closed, Donovan's is taking over Azul's, and Manhattan's is always booked.Special Features:
- NocookingVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food was Excellent food as was the service. The meal was a little pricey! We all enjoyed what we ate.Special Features:
- Great AnniversarysatisfieddkDined on 10/24/2014This was our eighth visit to Donovan's. Every dining experience both business and pleasure has been wonderful. The service we received on Friday night was the best ever. Our every need was catered to by at least four staff members. Eric, Thomas and Lisa we unbelievable. My wife also received a Happy Anniversary for the hostess. I would give everyone involved 5 stars for making our evening the best Anniversary ever. The only down side to the evening was hearing that they were moving from their current location to Prospect St. in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.foodlaserDined on 10/24/2014Food was as good as advertised. The service however, was well beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krusenjDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I came here for our respective birthdays. The service was great and the prime rib and steak were excellent. I would have been happy with the whole meal, but the shrimp scampi was not good. In that respect, I was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialoccasionbob1Dined on 10/23/2014Atmosphere is great---prime steak was not as good as in the past --new supplier in the past year or so? prices are extremely high! $68 for one steak with a potato and a few veggies! Still love Donovans but would go more often if prices were more reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST in san diegodanielDined on 10/23/2014Went there for my wife's birthday we were amazed 5 star rating For sure. But you pay for what you get. Best food = high prices. But if you have the extra money I strongly recommend donovansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great steak houseBeenThereDoneThatDined on 10/23/2014Excellent food. Steaks were perfect, service was impeccable, friendly people, easy free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What are you waiting for?TBrezDined on 10/21/2014I can't rave enough about the food and the service. Courtney's team was spot on with making sure we had a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!!FrishDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant easily exceeded my expectations. The food was delicious. Absolutely one of the best steaks I have ever had. I recommend the NY strip. Cooked perfectly and great sides as well. The macaroni and cheese appetizer was great as well. I brought my wife here for our anniversary and she enjoyed it as well. The staff was very friendly and their service was excellent. They even suprised us with a complementary dessert to celebrate the occasion. I would recommend this place to anyone! Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food, Service and AmbienceCCSDCAVIPDined on 10/18/2014Although a bit pricey, Donovan's is well worth it! In the style and furnishings of a traditional steakhouse, it was a pleasure to enjoy our meal in quiet, comfortable and classy surroundings. The steak melted like butter to taste and was perfectly cooked. The chopped salad was a true chopped salad and every small morsel was delectable. Service left nothing yo be desired - it was perfect. For a special occasion or just a quiet evening with family or friends, Donovan's is tops on our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Donovan's was amazing, I love valet parking (takes away stress) the staff was attentive and the food was divine from the chopped salad to the creme brulee. I do not normally write reviews but felt compelled because it was such a good experienceSpecial Features:
- My All time favoriteWellnessMDDined on 10/17/2014As a world traveler Donovan's is best of the best. They will soon be moving to La Jolla with an ocean view so this added to the superb service, food preperation, excellent wine and beverage list, full bar, low noise level, etc. you will need to make your reservation early!!! Victor, the manager is outstanding. Everyone there is a VIP. I would eat there everyday if given the opportunity...and the calorie count!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service By Far!JDWD5Dined on 10/16/2014You can't beat the service or the steaks at Donovon's in La Jolla! (Even the other Donovon's in downtown could learn from this location.) Every staff member we encountered thoroughly enjoyed their job and could not be more accommodating. Their attention to detail and friendly manner are things we don't find very often at restaurants today. Donovon's in La Jolla is the best dining experience we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014Very nice as always! The food, service, and ambience is always wonderful and consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great steak!!steaknwifeDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I travel all around the US and try steak places looking for the best steak. He likes a tender-melt in your mouth steak that stands on its own. Donovan's was number two in a decade. I was impressed. As for me, I don't eat steak. I had chicken and it came with a tomato-caper sauce that I could have eaten as soup with bread it was so good. The service was top notch-attentive but not in your face, friendly, and very much customer first. I would recommend it to any steak lover!! And to anyone who just loves good food and good service.Special Features:
- Amazing Service, Wonderful AmbiancegardenbeeDined on 10/4/2014Donovan's Del Mar Room was a lovely place for a quiet birthday dinner with an old friend. The menu is pure steakhouse, excellent quality but no surprises. Although the prices are quite high, they are a good value. The staff, from the front desk to the busboys, was both pleasant and professional. Will be sorry to see them move to Prospect St. In January.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DPV44732Dined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful meal with exceptional service. A great night.Special Features:
- Donovan's "never" dissapointsFussy1Dined on 10/4/2014We have been eating ar Donovan's for many years. We have used it for family celebrations and just when we're in the mood to have a mouth watering delicious meal. It NEVER dissapoints. The menu selections are great and we've ordered just about everything at one time or the other and everytime not just most of the time, they prepare our meal to perfection! We feel its like our second family kitchen. The price is a little up there but the food is well worth it. I love Donovans and recommend you give them a try too. You won't be dissapointed. I recommend the filet & bacon wrapped scallops combination. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful birthday.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I went early on a Saturday and it was very quiet. It felt like we were VIPs by the way we were treated and attended to. The food was amazing. Obviously it is pricey. But, with that expectation, it was an amazing night.Special Features:
- FantasticLove3cDined on 10/3/2014My only concern was how very casually dressed some of the patrons were, which slightly affected the general ambiance. Possibly this was due to it being SDRW but old t-shirts to a nice dinner restaurant?!?! Really?!?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingelzorroDined on 10/3/2014Everything was outstanding. Starts out with free valet parking right in front of the restuarant. We were greeting by a very friendly hostes & promted seated in a very comfortable booth with our name on it. We immediately received cold bottled water and hot fresh bread. The waiter was very friendly and effecient. The meal was perfect and we were treated like guest in a home. As we were leaving the manager wish us well and thanked us for coming. A perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014Went there for my son's 16 bday, with his grandmother and two little sisters. He wanted steak and we had never been there. Everything was delicious. The staff was so nice with the youngest sister - 7 years old. A place for a great meal that is nice and quiet so that we could actually talk and enjoy each other. Definitely one of the more expensive meals we have had in SD, and worth it. Great wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked it.ButtaFlyBlaqueDined on 9/30/2014The ambiance was a bit dark for my taste. But overall, it was an awesome experience.Special Features:
- Dedevic44Dined on 9/30/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. Service is outstanding.. Steaks are fantastic. Better than Mortons, Flemings and Ruths Chris. Beautiful, classy restaurant. Donovans is now on my list of must dine at while in La Jolla. Wish they had one in Los Angeles.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Always outstanding, the food is absolutely the best around and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014It was definitely good, quality food. Was it my most favorite dining experience ever...no, but it was still really good. I would definitely go back if it's in the budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scoupe93Dined on 9/26/2014Donovans always exceeds our expectations! Our favorite place for date night. Can't wait to visit your new location!Special Features:
- Ben SavingamblerDined on 9/26/2014Always enjoy dining at Donovan's. Excellent food, service and personal attention that we get from the staff.Special Features:
- We always enjoy eating there.4anniversaryplaceDined on 9/25/2014Went four our anniversary and it was very special. Our food was delicious and the service was outstanding. They even brought us a creme brulee with two candles to celebrate the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRIchardDined on 9/25/2014From the time we walked in the door, until we received our vehicle in the valet parking, the staff at Donovan's was attentive and helpful. It was a great experience all around and I would recommend Donovan's to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovans, goodbyeDoneavansDined on 9/24/2014It's probably going to close in January or move someplace else, but Donovan's was amazing. Restaurant week helped with the prices considering bacon wrapped scallops (although perfectly cooked) were almost 20 bucks. Ouch! But the place is gorgeous and the service is impeccable.Special Features: