Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
407 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (344)romantic (253)notable wine list (181)fit for foodies (129)good for groups (79)vibrant bar scene (79)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (44)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always a wonderful place.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Donovan's is always a fantastic steak house. Always enjoyable. Expect to spend a few more dollars than usual, but the quality is phenomenal. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is as good as it getsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Living back east for most of my life, I find it hard to find a place that truly knows good service. Donovan's hits the ball out of the park. Our server and the other folks on the staff were outstanding. If you're looking for a very nice place to go to for that special occasion, Donovan's is where it's at. Oh and did I forget to mention that the food was excellent. A bit longer wait on the weekends to get your steak the perfect temperature, but who's in a hurry at a place like this. Enjoy the company of wife, girlfriend or friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Always a great dining experience: delicious food, wonderful service, nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014It was so nice to be spoiled with such a pleasant and service focused dining experience. The food was delectable and our servers, Chris, Aaron, and Enrique, were amazing and friendly and took such great care of us. Thank you for making our 7th wedding anniversary so special and well treated.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!808LocalDined on 9/20/2014I took my son to Donovan's. It was his first fine dining experience and he enjoyed the food and the wait staff. They were extremely friendly and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The service was spectacular until the end when we produced a Living Social coupon, at which point it took a dive, despite an almost 25% tip on the total amount before coupon. Up until that point, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMeatloverDined on 9/19/2014Very nice restaurant. Good food. Nice atmosphere. Very slow service. Too many people serving each table. Very confusing and slows the dining process. Only go if you have hours to waste. Avoid this restaurant if you are really hungry. Sat at the table for nearly 30 mins before our order was taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Went there for our anniversary. Everything about this place is FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I went there with my wife for her birthday. Excellent food and service. They gave us a complimentary dessert. Not your everyday restaurant, but great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was excellent but too expensive for the relatively small portions.Special Features:
- AwesomeBobgggggggDined on 9/18/2014AwesommmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meat and Potatoes RestaurantDONEDined on 9/18/2014We have now dined twice at Donovan's La Jolla and found the food good but not outstanding. We tried the Filet Mignon which was dry. Normally when you cut into a nice piece of medium rare beef there is juice on your plate, the juice was not there and the flavor was not as it should have been, although it was tender. Chop salad was good but not the best we have had and the smashed garlic potatoes were very nice. Veges are coated with oils which takes away from natural flavor. White bread is served with meal, prefer more earthy breads. Chilean Sea Bass nice, Bok Choy tough. Calamari good, Crab Cake average. If you like exotic intriguing flavors, you may find Donovan's food a bit bland for your palate. Would love to see menu expanded.Special Features:
- Fave steak jointAmandaTDined on 9/17/2014We love coming here! The food is amazing and the service is always on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolJoemamaVIPDined on 9/17/2014Go to Donovans, La Jolla if you are in to steaks and old schoool dinning. The steaks are perfectly prepared. The service is xlnt. But, you should also be prepared to pat $45-60 for those steaks. My wife and I ate at Donovans for the second time and had a different experience. We had fillet medallions with scampi, and with scallops. Both at $42, and a better value than $60 for the porterhouse which we had the first time.Special Features:
- Best steak EVER!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Truly a dining experience ... great service, only surmounted by the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went the extra mile...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I reserved a table for a retirement party. When we got to Donovan's, they put us in a special room secluded from the rest of the restaurant. The atmosphere was outstanding and the service even better. While I already knew that Donovan's in La Jolla was exceptional, this took it to another level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We have eaten here many times for special occasions.Special Features:
- great food and great serviceJackLindaDined on 9/15/2014The best steak, cooked exactly as we ordered it,medium rare with a nice seared outside. This was served with a perfectly baked potato and above average veggies. The potato is them topped worth your choice of toppings... butter, sour cream, bacon bits, and real chives(not green onion tops) They are also generous with the bread and butter, which has a nice crust and sweet yeasty flavor. The meals are large enough to share and they gladly split the plate for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service808LocalDined on 9/13/2014If you enjoy a good steak coupled with excellent service, this is the restaurant! Prime cuts of steak are cooked perfectly to order. Plenty of delicious side dishes to choose from along with a vast list of wine, cocktail and beer list. The service is friendly and outstanding!Special Features:
- You know what to expectiheartpasta1VIPDined on 9/13/2014Consistency is good! The meat is always cooked perfectly. Victor is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent- but moving!CarlaRNVIPDined on 9/13/2014Always a special treat. Wonderfully attentive service. Very sad to hear Donovan's is moving from their primo UTC location to the inconvenient downtown La Jolla (in the Azul location) due to their lease holder discouraging their continued contract. This will occur after the first of the year. What a loss for UTC medical and corporate patrons. Supposedly, a more lunch-friendly moderately-priced, modern trendy (I.e., small "healthy" portions), eatery will replace them, but the Donovan's experience is irreplaceable.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedNewDinerDined on 9/13/2014I thought that the staff was friendly and somewhat attentive. The restaurant was dimly lit, but pleasant. I did not like care for the music playing. I would have liked something more relaxing playing in the background. People that I know have had very positive things to say about Donovan's, but I was not very impressed. The food was good, but not for the price.Special Features:
- Donovan'sdisappointedDined on 9/13/2014Great wine list with good options for half bottles. We were able to have a good chardonnay and pinot for dinner. The appetizers came quickly and were pretty good. The surf and turf lobster and medallions was mediocre. Very dry and tough. The filet was decent. The chocolate cake was all chocolate, very sweet and rich. No options for a lava style cake. The creme brulee was good. Service was good, nothing exceptional. It was an okay evening out but for a $400 dinner, we were expecting better. This was our second time here. The first time was worse, so we decided to give it a second chance. We won't be coming back.Special Features:
- SophisticatedsilentheroesDined on 9/13/2014Great food, amazing service. Really high quality stuff! :)Special Features:
- A Mixed ExperienceStuarts2VIPDined on 9/12/2014Well-prepared if somewhat uninspired food, pleasant and fairly sedate ambiance, excellent sound level (I could hear my table companion), but inattentive service (we saw our waiter at order-taking and never saw him again).
- The "Special" DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014We were offered the "Friday Night Special" of Prime Rib only to find out after we ordered it that they had run out. It was only 6:30 PM. Chef should plan better for busy Friday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want PrIme Rib Fri night...RadiojulesDined on 9/12/2014...Then call first. I had my heart set on prime rib because the last time we were there earlier in the summer, our waiter told us that Friday night, the special is prime rib. Imagine my surprise Friday night when our waiter told us at 6.30pm that they were out of it!!! Don't get me wrong, the peppercorn filet mignon was very good! Still, my yearning for prime rib goes on....Special Features:
- UnforgettableDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful as always! My husband got the clam chowder instead of the seafood tower and LOVED IT!!! This visit was even more memorable than the last... Can't wait for the next one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!43rdAnniversaryDined on 9/11/2014Everything about our dinner was great. The lobster was cooked perfectly & my husband's rib steak chop was huge & also cooked perfectly. I don't know how they do it. The service was awesome. A real class act. Will definitely return for another great dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome food, great service.DaveHDined on 9/10/2014Too bad they are moving from this location... I wish them luck in Del Mar!Special Features:
- Service and quality decliningmarknezDined on 9/10/2014Sorry to say the service and food preparations at Donovan's La Jolla have been on a steady decline since we first started dining there 14 years ago. it's just not the same. we weren't even there on a busy week-end.Special Features:
- great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/10/2014amazing food and service at this La Jolla's Donovans. both were impecable.Special Features:
- Not The Best ServiceDORISDined on 9/9/2014Donovan's is as one would expect it to be if you've been to a high end steak house. However, the service was not good. We ordered a salad and 2 entrees. The waiter said bread would be coming. We didn't get our bread and after waiting for some time, we asked the bus boy to bring us bread. After a minute of receiving our bread, our entree showed up. We were so hungry we didn't notice we didn't get our salad. We decided to forget about the salad and finish our main course. We haven't seen our waiter since ordering our food. Nobody came to our table to ask if our food was good. The waiter's assistant give us the bill. We told him what happened. The head waiter came out and apologized. He gave us dessert and drinks complimentary. That was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food. Fabulous service.StephVIPDined on 9/9/2014You cannot go wrong at Donovans. The food and service were absolutely superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrammaDined on 9/8/2014Wish it weren't so expensive. If it wasn't for Living Social.........I wouldn't be writing this review. Tank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was cold...SouthernDined on 9/6/2014The quality of Donnavons food has significantly declined. My steak was warm at best and dry. Not what you expect for $50 steak! Service was excellent.
- Excellant DinnerA1CustomerDined on 9/6/2014We have dined at Donovan's several time & have been greatly satisfied with the entire package.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversary dinnerAnonymousDined on 9/5/2014From the staff to the food everything was 5 stars. This is one of our new favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best beef in San Deigomtbike36Dined on 9/5/2014Donovans has the finest staff, a great location and the best beef and seafood you could ask for, everything about this restaurant is first rate, from the timing of the drinks and food being brought to the table, to the excellent food and wait staff. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovan's is wonderful!sherbrewer1Dined on 9/4/2014We had dinner at Donovan's last week with friends. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and there was no other restaurant that we felt would compare. The food was fabulous (including the wonderful crème brule they brought us as an anniversary gift). The restaurant is always sparkling clean, the servers are ALL good, and our server, Jeff, was absolutely outstanding. We had a lively ongoing conversation about old movies and their stars, which really pleased the four of us, movie buffs all. I wouldn't hesitate t recommend Donovan's for any occasion.Special Features: