Donovan's - La Jolla
4340 La Jolla Village Drive
La Jolla, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 8584506666x
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm Monday through Saturday.
Happy Hour 4-6pm Monday though Saturday
Complimentary steak sandwiches and $8.00 martinis during Happy Hour
Dinner Service starts at 5 pm. Monday-Thursday: 5pm - 10pm. Friday 5pm - 11pm.
Closed Sunday except in the month of December.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sal Reynoso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Featuring classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: Slow-roasted Prime Rib with Yorkshire pudding every Friday.
A word from Donovan's - La Jolla
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
6 private dining rooms to choose from.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Donovan's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Donovan's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (333)romantic (245)notable wine list (173)fit for foodies (125)good for groups (80)vibrant bar scene (76)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (43)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great steak!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant easily exceeded my expectations. The food was delicious. Absolutely one of the best steaks I have ever had. I recommend the NY strip. Cooked perfectly and great sides as well. The macaroni and cheese appetizer was great as well. I brought my wife here for our anniversary and she enjoyed it as well. The staff was very friendly and their service was excellent. They even suprised us with a complementary dessert to celebrate the occasion. I would recommend this place to anyone! Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food, Service and AmbienceCCSDCAVIPDined on 10/18/2014Although a bit pricey, Donovan's is well worth it! In the style and furnishings of a traditional steakhouse, it was a pleasure to enjoy our meal in quiet, comfortable and classy surroundings. The steak melted like butter to taste and was perfectly cooked. The chopped salad was a true chopped salad and every small morsel was delectable. Service left nothing yo be desired - it was perfect. For a special occasion or just a quiet evening with family or friends, Donovan's is tops on our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My All time favoriteWellnessMDDined on 10/17/2014As a world traveler Donovan's is best of the best. They will soon be moving to La Jolla with an ocean view so this added to the superb service, food preperation, excellent wine and beverage list, full bar, low noise level, etc. you will need to make your reservation early!!! Victor, the manager is outstanding. Everyone there is a VIP. I would eat there everyday if given the opportunity...and the calorie count!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service By Far!JDWD5Dined on 10/16/2014You can't beat the service or the steaks at Donovon's in La Jolla! (Even the other Donovon's in downtown could learn from this location.) Every staff member we encountered thoroughly enjoyed their job and could not be more accommodating. Their attention to detail and friendly manner are things we don't find very often at restaurants today. Donovon's in La Jolla is the best dining experience we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2014Very nice as always! The food, service, and ambience is always wonderful and consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great steak!!steaknwifeDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I travel all around the US and try steak places looking for the best steak. He likes a tender-melt in your mouth steak that stands on its own. Donovan's was number two in a decade. I was impressed. As for me, I don't eat steak. I had chicken and it came with a tomato-caper sauce that I could have eaten as soup with bread it was so good. The service was top notch-attentive but not in your face, friendly, and very much customer first. I would recommend it to any steak lover!! And to anyone who just loves good food and good service.Special Features:
- Amazing Service, Wonderful AmbiancegardenbeeDined on 10/4/2014Donovan's Del Mar Room was a lovely place for a quiet birthday dinner with an old friend. The menu is pure steakhouse, excellent quality but no surprises. Although the prices are quite high, they are a good value. The staff, from the front desk to the busboys, was both pleasant and professional. Will be sorry to see them move to Prospect St. In January.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DPV44732Dined on 10/4/2014We had a wonderful meal with exceptional service. A great night.Special Features:
- Donovan's "never" dissapointsFussy1Dined on 10/4/2014We have been eating ar Donovan's for many years. We have used it for family celebrations and just when we're in the mood to have a mouth watering delicious meal. It NEVER dissapoints. The menu selections are great and we've ordered just about everything at one time or the other and everytime not just most of the time, they prepare our meal to perfection! We feel its like our second family kitchen. The price is a little up there but the food is well worth it. I love Donovans and recommend you give them a try too. You won't be dissapointed. I recommend the filet & bacon wrapped scallops combination. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful birthday.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I went early on a Saturday and it was very quiet. It felt like we were VIPs by the way we were treated and attended to. The food was amazing. Obviously it is pricey. But, with that expectation, it was an amazing night.Special Features:
- FantasticLove3cDined on 10/3/2014My only concern was how very casually dressed some of the patrons were, which slightly affected the general ambiance. Possibly this was due to it being SDRW but old t-shirts to a nice dinner restaurant?!?! Really?!?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingelzorroDined on 10/3/2014Everything was outstanding. Starts out with free valet parking right in front of the restuarant. We were greeting by a very friendly hostes & promted seated in a very comfortable booth with our name on it. We immediately received cold bottled water and hot fresh bread. The waiter was very friendly and effecient. The meal was perfect and we were treated like guest in a home. As we were leaving the manager wish us well and thanked us for coming. A perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I liked it.ButtaFlyBlaqueDined on 9/30/2014The ambiance was a bit dark for my taste. But overall, it was an awesome experience.Special Features:
- Dedevic44Dined on 9/30/2014Wonderful food and ambiance. Service is outstanding.. Steaks are fantastic. Better than Mortons, Flemings and Ruths Chris. Beautiful, classy restaurant. Donovans is now on my list of must dine at while in La Jolla. Wish they had one in Los Angeles.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Always outstanding, the food is absolutely the best around and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014It was definitely good, quality food. Was it my most favorite dining experience ever...no, but it was still really good. I would definitely go back if it's in the budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scoupe93Dined on 9/26/2014Donovans always exceeds our expectations! Our favorite place for date night. Can't wait to visit your new location!Special Features:
- Ben SavingamblerDined on 9/26/2014Always enjoy dining at Donovan's. Excellent food, service and personal attention that we get from the staff.Special Features:
- We always enjoy eating there.4anniversaryplaceDined on 9/25/2014Went four our anniversary and it was very special. Our food was delicious and the service was outstanding. They even brought us a creme brulee with two candles to celebrate the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceRIchardDined on 9/25/2014From the time we walked in the door, until we received our vehicle in the valet parking, the staff at Donovan's was attentive and helpful. It was a great experience all around and I would recommend Donovan's to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donovans, goodbyeDoneavansDined on 9/24/2014It's probably going to close in January or move someplace else, but Donovan's was amazing. Restaurant week helped with the prices considering bacon wrapped scallops (although perfectly cooked) were almost 20 bucks. Ouch! But the place is gorgeous and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- OutstandingFirstDateDined on 9/24/2014Had a birthday dinner recently and everything was outstanding. The steaks were delicious and perfectly cooked, the service was impeccable, and the ambiance was sophisticated. Highly recommend it, especially for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Wonderful atmosphere, good valet, late on reservation, had another cocktail!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysML896Dined on 9/24/2014This time we went for restaurant week. The food was good, and was prepared well. Service good as alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their usual!BasilDined on 9/24/2014The food was excellent, but the service was lacking. Maybe because it is restaurant week.Special Features:
- Awesome food and servicefoodieDined on 9/24/2014The only thing better than the food was the service. My steak was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. Three waiters ensured we didn't want for anything. Awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingrandallDined on 9/24/2014The best steak in San Diego. The service is also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maryDined on 9/23/2014Outstanding, as usual! I am a little sad they're moving because it's so easy to get to right now. La Jolla, while beautiful, is a more difficult drive with traffic and parking is more of a chore. I will also miss the space, which is just as a steakhouse should be!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!dpkraftVIPDined on 9/23/2014When it comes to fine dining, this is the best of the best.Special Features:
- Restaurant week1stimerDined on 9/22/2014Had an amazing first time here. There was actually more to the restaurant week menu. Our waiters great. Great first time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBWMTDined on 9/22/2014Dinner was great was busy with Restaurant week and end of Living Social coupon but the service was excellent and so were the Lamb ChopsSpecial Features:
- Always a wonderful place.MrDimnDined on 9/20/2014Donovan's is always a fantastic steak house. Always enjoyable. Expect to spend a few more dollars than usual, but the quality is phenomenal. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is as good as it getsSDLouDined on 9/20/2014Living back east for most of my life, I find it hard to find a place that truly knows good service. Donovan's hits the ball out of the park. Our server and the other folks on the staff were outstanding. If you're looking for a very nice place to go to for that special occasion, Donovan's is where it's at. Oh and did I forget to mention that the food was excellent. A bit longer wait on the weekends to get your steak the perfect temperature, but who's in a hurry at a place like this. Enjoy the company of wife, girlfriend or friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakkartracrDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time dining at Donovan's. The New York strip steak was excellent (again). We took friends for their first time (it was one of their birthday's). They also enjoyed the steaks (filet and rib eye).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Always a great dining experience: delicious food, wonderful service, nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful ExperiencekatielouDined on 9/20/2014It was so nice to be spoiled with such a pleasant and service focused dining experience. The food was delectable and our servers, Chris, Aaron, and Enrique, were amazing and friendly and took such great care of us. Thank you for making our 7th wedding anniversary so special and well treated.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service!808LocalDined on 9/20/2014I took my son to Donovan's. It was his first fine dining experience and he enjoyed the food and the wait staff. They were extremely friendly and attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingsteakloversuniteDined on 9/19/2014The service was spectacular until the end when we produced a Living Social coupon, at which point it took a dive, despite an almost 25% tip on the total amount before coupon. Up until that point, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. The food was simply amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMeatloverDined on 9/19/2014Very nice restaurant. Good food. Nice atmosphere. Very slow service. Too many people serving each table. Very confusing and slows the dining process. Only go if you have hours to waste. Avoid this restaurant if you are really hungry. Sat at the table for nearly 30 mins before our order was taken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Went there for our anniversary. Everything about this place is FantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.