Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
570 K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (619) 237-9700 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm, Happy Hour is 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily. Dinner Service starts at 5 pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Holiday Hours may apply, call for specifics.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: We have 2 private rooms that can accommodate up to 40 guests.
Please call or email Charlotte Wagner.
A word from Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 300 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)romantic (84)notable wine list (63)fit for foodies (51)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (17)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Go for the beef!justmeDined on 11/23/2014It's hard to esteem which was better--the beef or the service. Although the prices are high, you don't need to order any sides. If you can splurge, get the Ahi tuna appetizer. It's as good as what you'd eat in Hawaii--better than Seattle. Our server was both helpful and unobtrusive. If you are interested in a quiet dining experience, ask for a table far away from the bar, especially if a sports game is playing on the tvs. All of the swearing and screaming detracted from our special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Diego's FinestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014First time in San Diego and was looking for a high quality steakhouse. Donovan's exceeded our expectations. Spacious with soft lighting with a team style wait staff which eliminated any delay in orders. Food was top notch with adequate portion sizes, and medium rare was actually medium rare. Overall Donovan's provided us with a romantic evening out to enjoy the Southern CA weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ChoiceGoodEatsDined on 11/17/2014It was an amazing dining experience. Would go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale, downtown atmosphere with Superb service.JMS92Dined on 11/14/2014Donovan's service and overall dining experience was superb. Our steak dinners were served to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely loved the evening :)16thAnniversaryDined on 11/14/2014We chose Donovan's for our anniversary dinner and it was wonderful! The atmosphere was warm and inviting, and the food was very tasty and presented very nicely. Our server was conscious of our desire to take our time with dinner, no rushing us. We both liked that the dinner menu included vegetables and a choice of potato with the entree vs, everything having to be ordered separately. We will be going again, and will be recommending Donovan's to our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service, fine meal, superb overall.NS2014Dined on 11/10/2014Went to Donovan's for a special birthday celebration for my wife. The staff is genuinely friendly and professional. Quiet on a Monday night, but perfect for conversation and enjoying every bit of this experience. Surf and Turf was fabulous. The wine selection is also noteworthy. Fantastic experience every time I dine there. Our server, Katie made the evening a success with her attention to detail and friendly, but professional demeanor. I reserve this restaurant for the most exquisite occasions and they never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak, ridiculous wine listBusinessTravelerDined on 11/10/2014Steak is always great at Donovans, but on a recent trip it was disappointing to see the wine list. I expect to pay a premium for a bottle of wine, but reason should prevail. $100+ for a very mediocre bottle of wine is absurd. Was a little disappointed in the amount of time it took to receive our meal.
- Everything is PrimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2014Donovan's serves the best steaks. Their aged prime beef is the finest, period. They have a suitable wine list to go with it. And their seafood tower full of ran and more is al OST a reason to go here alone. Great service, not pretentious, very skilled and helpful.Special Features:
- SuperbFinediner1Dined on 11/8/2014Once again Donovans does not disappoint. We celebrated my husband's 60th Birthday there on Saturday and everything was fabulous, as always. The quality of the steaks and seafood are unsurpassed. The sauce on the Shrimp Scampi was so delicious I almost asked for more! The steak was so tender you could cut it with a fork. The service is impeccable and very well timed. Thanks again for making our visit memorable again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDonavansDined on 11/8/2014This is a prime spot for special occasions where money is no object. The service is impeccable. The food was outstanding and cooked exactly as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDaveDined on 11/6/2014Our party had the T-Bone, the bone in Kansas City and the Fillet. We all agreed that our steaks were tough, over/under cooked and lacked flavor.Special Features:
- Just OkayNomTimeVIPDined on 10/27/2014We've been to many steakhouses across the U.S., and heard great things about Donovan's. After eating there, it was just okay. The staff was excellent, but our first appetizer, Cajun Lamb Chops came out cold. The bone in rib chop was just okay. We would give it another try, but with so many restaurants in the district, not anytime soon.
- Incredible Evening!AllieBeeDined on 10/27/2014Met friends to celebrate a mutual friend's birthday. Food was glorious! Creme Brulee was over the top!!!!!Special Features:
- Steak lovers welcomeDelishdelightsVIPDined on 10/25/2014My brother and I took my father here for his 60th...as soon as we got in the wished my fathers happy birthday and so did the waiter. The waiter was so attentive and explained the menu.. He was very helpful. The interior is very nice we love our steak and this place was just delish..we all had different cuts of meat the filet mignon was the best and each dish comes w sides so no ala cart which was great the scallops were amazing. So was there hiuse salad..we had such a nice quiet dinner I would recommend this go anyone in the San Diego are.Special Features:
- A superb place to celebrateErikTheRedDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary here. They were able to have roses upon the table as per my request and we received a complementary desert. The service was professional and friendly. We never went without anything we desired. The food was top notch. Everything was cooked perfectly. I look forward to eating here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ExperienceromaticDined on 10/22/2014The food was delightful. The wine list was expansive and covered all types of wines. The staff was polite. The food was perfect and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I was disappointed with the portion of food served, I believe after spending $167.00 including the tip, I shouldn't have left the restaurant hungry.Special Features:
- Love it!Amateurfoodie2Dined on 10/18/2014We come here every time we come to San Diego. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary spot!MrTimehDined on 10/11/2014So attentive and very knowledgable about good and wine. Took care of us well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueConsistentDined on 10/11/2014Always go to Donavan's when in San Diego. Consistently provides good atmosphere, food and service. Wine list always good as was the sommelier picksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have enjoyed this Donavan'sLouisDined on 10/10/2014By far our favorite place to hang out, dine, get away. Service always outstanding, Food simply fabulous, ambiance, cocktails - all good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seemeeatDined on 10/9/2014Grown up persons restaurant. formal yet unpretentous.Special Features:
- Donovan'sSatisfiedDined on 10/9/2014Very good steakhouse serving only premium aged meats. The side portions (e.g., mushrooms, brussel sprouts, etc.) are large and meant to be shared. Because the meals come with vegetables and some form of potato or rice, I recommend only 1 side dish for every 2-3 persons. Too many restaurants are noisy, making it impossible to carry on a conversation. Donovan's is different. The restaurant has paid attention to acoustics. As a result you can talk at a normal conversational level. That feature is a big factor to me. I avoid restaurants like Ruth Chris' where conversation is difficult. In addition, the service was attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Still my favoriteCdffiremedicDined on 10/4/2014Celebrated anniversary number 23 and it is still as good as it was when we celebrated our 20th. Amazing service, very chic and trendy clientel, and of course EXCELLENT FOOD. My opinion is it is nowhere near as presumptuous as Ruth's Chris, nowhere near as overpriced as Mastro's, and mich better quality than Flemings. Overall a 10 on a 10, and as much as I eagerly await the La Jolla new location, Gaslamp will always be my very favorite. Strong work, and thank you for making my anniversary memorable (again) The PhillipsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceloveatingVIPDined on 10/2/2014Dined with friends on a Thursday evening and could not have been more pleased. Everything from the appetizers to the desserts was terrific. The steaks were prepared exactly as ordered, medium rare. The wine list was vast but included several choices for those looking for an inexpensive bottle. We chose a 2004 Spanish red that was delightful. The service was beyond reproach as our waiter knew the menu inside out and offered suggestions when asked. All in all a truly delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at Donovan'sLV2EatDined on 9/28/2014We booked a table before the Paul McCartney concert, we were 2 blocks away from the venue. Despite the crowds outside, it was relatively calm inside, and we were seated at our appointed time. My husband and I both got versions of the filet mignon, it was delicious. The service was attentive without being obnoxious. I would recommend Donovan's for anyone who wanted a special evening in the Gaslamp District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Quality Meat!flyfisher25Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went to Donovan's for our second time, this time for our Anniversary. Wait staff was on point and friendly, made great recommendations for wine and food. It was a little loud for our first 30 minutes due to 2 large groups who were already seated in our area when we arrived for our reservation. After they left, it was much better. The food and service won't dissapoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJCVDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I went to Donovan's during the SD Restaurant Week. Because I have a gift card, I figured what a perfect time to use it! It has been over 20 years since we have gone out to dinner alone, so we felt a little awkward. We found the best parking garage which was only a block away from the restaurant that only charged $1.00/hr. When we got seated, my husband and I did not feel very comfortable because the place was too upscale for us. We requested to be moved towards the wall -- our request was gladly accommodated. We ordered from the special menu and decided on getting the Filet Medalions and Salmon. OMG! DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Good EatsMandalorDined on 9/24/2014Great spot for a Gaslamp experience, I would recommend Donavan's to any visitor...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperenceMurphyDined on 9/24/2014This was a meal that was handled by three wait staff, done with elegance. The food was top notch, made right and every aspect was worthy of their reputation. If you are considering this place for a meal, stop searching and go there.Special Features:
- Great dinningRomanceDined on 9/22/2014Good food, nice romantic place to celebrate special ocationsSpecial Features:
- OutstandingMoomDined on 9/22/2014Have never been disappointed at a Donovan's. Unbelievable food and service. Great for a special occasion or before going to a Padre game. Would usually dress up for a restaurant like this, but with it next to Petco Park, they're good the more casually dressed Fans as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated our one year anniversary at Donovan's and loved it. We have gone to Ruth Chris and Carvers and enjoy both as well, but the service at Donovan's was amazing. Nit to mention the best porterhouse steak I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Thank you I had a good experience definitely I will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalGrammiDined on 9/19/2014My experience at this restaurant was fantastic. Food, service, and atmosphere were absolute perfection. I eagerly await my next trip to San Diego so I can revisit this amazing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aztrim12aztrim12Dined on 9/19/2014One of San Diego's best restaurant. 5 Stars all the way. Our group of 8 was handled with no problem. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bring Your Ear Plugs!RorydinesVIPDined on 9/10/2014If I had dinner on the 50 yard line in the center of Century Link Field during a Seahawks game it would be quieter than this restaurant. I left with hearing loss. This was on a Wednesday night - can only imagine a week-end night. The combination of large groups all trying to talk over each other combined with terrible acoustics in the dining room was toxic.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectILoveSteakDined on 9/7/2014Great food, wine and service. We came for dinner for our 3rd anniversary and were treated like royalty. We didnt have a great seat though. They sat us in the room on the oposite side if the bar in the corner by the window. There was a large table bahind with noisey people and a window right in front of us where we could see all the wonderful drunk people us downtown stumble by. Loved every other park of the night but really wouldve been perfect if we had that nice corner booth with the dim lighting that was a little more private.Special Features:
- Great food. Not sure I'd go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Great food. Not my style of décor and pretty loud. We initially were sat next to a bachelor party that was crude and obnoxious. The staff was accommodating in moving us when we asked, but then I noticed they sat another couple right where we had been so think that was a little rude knowing they had an obnoxious group there, but at least they moved us when we asked.Special Features:
- Great steaks, great serviceDisappointedDinerDined on 9/6/2014Wait staff was attentive and friendly. Steaks were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.