Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
570 K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192379700x1
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm, Happy Hour is 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily. Dinner Service starts at 5 pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Holiday Hours may apply, call for specifics.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: We have 2 private rooms that can accommodate up to 40 guests.
Please call or email Charlotte Wagner.
A word from Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 300 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)romantic (88)notable wine list (65)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (28)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (7)scenic view (6)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (5)Show More
- delicious and elegantbebedubsDined on 8/19/2014We had a quiet, romantic table in the corner. The staff was very friendly & attentive. Our dinner was great-NY strip, filet, scallops, great sides, lovely bottle of wine, and finished up with the tiramisu. We really enjoyed it. The style is a little dated, but this place was wonderful.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service Great FoodCharlineDined on 8/19/2014We once again were impressed with the service and the delicious food at DonovansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the steaks; kudos to the chef. Very attentive staff and hostess made the evening birthday celebration very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a rare touch of class in san diegoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Donovan's has their act together. They do everything right: food, service, ambience. Our server, Eric, is the epitome of professionalism. Easy sell, good sense of humor. The food was as good as it gets. Sure, the price is steep, but you are paying for a combination of food, ambience and theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014We didn't think the food was that great for the price.Special Features:
- Loved it!MsMy34Dined on 8/16/2014I brought a friend here for a bon voyage dinner before he deploys. We both had a great time, the food was amazing, ambience was beautiful and the customer service was beyond awesome. I would definitely recommend dinning here for a special occasion. I am definitely going to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightMandoDined on 8/16/2014Highly recommend for any special occasion. Very attentive staff and excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Even Better StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Awesome dining experience for my girlfriend and I. We were celebrating a romantic evening together. We were a little more intimate than we should have been in this setting but the staff left us alone until we focused on the menu. They were very pleasant and accommodating and our server, Matthew, made some excellent recommendations that we followed and were extremely pleased with. When being seated, I pulled the chair out for my date and then assisted her by sliding it back in beneath her. The hostess made a nice comment about how sweet it was and how she loved that. Just everything allowed us to be intimate and feel romantic without being rushed or judged. Very nice staff! The steaks were great and potato and veggies included in the price.Special Features:
- You Don't Know JackchefbobcatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jack was the Captain/Server for our dining experience at Donovan's - San Diego Gas Lamp. Jack and his team provided service that was attentive, but not intrusive, timely, but not pushy and excellent in every way. In this day over of diners not understanding proper dress codes, we appreciate a restaurant that still pays attention to detail including Tuxedos worn by the Captain. The meal started with very tasty bread and the butter served on a heated plate that made it easy to spread. My excellent Oysters Rockefeller was served on a heated plate and were our main courses. Donovan's is a classic Steak House that is unfortunately disappearing from the dining culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80th birthday dinner celebrationjackramDined on 8/14/2014there were three of us celebrating the 80th b'day of one of the women. the service was wonderful, as was the food. the staff took means to make our friend's b'day a celebration, which included a creme brûlée that was excellent, and a glass champagne for all. we could not have asked for more. my second time here and I will definitely go back. best filet mignon I've ever had, and it was cooked correctly for me, med. rare.Special Features:
- HomerSimpsondinVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great for Steaks. Outstanding service. A top notch steak restaurant. Too bad guests do not show proper respect. Sandals and T-shirts. I do not blame the restaurant. Same people board aircraft in flip flops and shorts. That is our world. It is what it is. But food was great and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of hype...NikNakDined on 8/6/2014Let me just start by saying my Ahi steak was amazing! My issue, and a very minute issue, were the side dishes. I had the au gratin potatoes which were bland...my girlfriend had the garlic smashed potatoes, again bland. I just expected for a restaurant of this caliber to not rely so heavily on their star attractions(steak).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AlwaysManoloDined on 8/5/2014One of my three favorites steak and wine restaurants in the USA. Always great quality food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Food and service was greatBigfootDined on 8/3/2014Had the fillet and scallops. The food and service was great. Love there bread. Restaurant is very nice with a classy vibe. Lighting was way to bright, we were upstairs and the wife had to change chairs to avoid the over table light blinding her in the eyes. That's was the only issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Knowledgeable wait staff. Food was very good. Did not have dessert.Special Features:
- magnificentcrazycomboDined on 8/1/2014My boyfriend and i celebrated our second yaear anniversary at donovans. We loved the food and the service was Amazing. We cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks Good ValueFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 7/27/2014Donovan's in San Diego Gaslamp district offers great quality meats prepared expertly. Unlike other steak houses which require all sides to be purchased a la carte, Donovan's serves each entree with a vegetable and a choice of potato. This makes is a good relative value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old time steak houseluvefoodDined on 7/25/2014Loved the food and service,steaks are great.wood paneled walls old time San DiegoSpecial Features:
- Top 3 NY Strips of all timebding93Dined on 7/19/2014My son and I are big fans of NY Strip steaks. He was at Camp Pendleton for some summer training and we took him to Donovan's for his 16th birthday while in town to pick him up. In my estimation, the Donovan's NY Strip steak is one of the top 3 that I have eaten throughout our continuing quest for the perfect NY Strip. It it vacillating between number one and number two. Kudos to Donovan's for a great meal and fantastic ambiance. The drinks weren't bad either! We will definitely return if we are in San Diego again.Special Features:
- Outstanding Prix Fixe!INDinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014We enjoyed the twin filets, and all that came with! Everything was prepared and presented beautifully. HIGHLY recommend for a special steak dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS RESTAURANT!!FoodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014I wanted a really nice, romantic restaurant where we could celebrate our anniversary, while we were visiting San Diego. We were not disappointed one bit, when we dined at Donovan's -Gaslamp in SD!! We received excellent service & food in a beautiful atmosphere, concluding with a complimentary dessert for our anniversary. The steaks are quality & cooked to perfection, and the menu selection is great. We recommend this restaurant to those who are seeking a good steakhouse with wood paneling, low lights & white tablecloths. We felt the price was reasonable for what we got. Try it...........you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tim and LaurieOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014All you want in a steak restaurant! From fast valet parking to fantastic desert. We have been there several times and will return.Special Features:
- Must visit for steak loversSamtanDined on 7/8/2014We went here on our first night in San Diego , the steaks were really good . My son had the fillet migion and I had the T bone, I think the fillet migion was slightly better. We ordered a bottle of the catena alta Malbec which was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unca98VIPDined on 7/7/2014Every time we go to the downtown Donovan's we are not disappointed. Great food. I was there for my 79th birthday dinner and the lamb chops were to die for. They always give special attention to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last guest to sit and l leave..ZapatajuanjDined on 7/6/2014I walked in at 9:45pm with my business partner and was seated promptly. Food was great, steak was cooked to perfection and service couldn't be better! The three waiters on the floor were very professional and didn't give us any hint that it was late and they wanted to go home. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody looking for a great meal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurantIWgirlDined on 7/5/2014We chose this for a very special anniversary for some dear friends. Everything about Donovan's was amazing; especially the service! I highly recommend this fabulous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $10 Martini was goodHungryDined on 7/2/2014Went there to use a Living Social coupon but it was for La Jolla. They wouldn't honor it. Aren't the restaurants related? We said that was OK, we would just have a drink. They ushered us to the bar even though there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant at 5pm. The waiter in the bar was very friendly. The bar menu said the Happy Hour included complimentary Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches and pulled pork sliders. We had 2 drinks each at $10 a piece (happy hour price!) and were given 2-1 inch slices of a Philly sandwich. Never did see the sliders! The waiter said they didn't have food because there weren't many people in the bar. Went to Spaghetti Factory across the street for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic GetawayRomance4twoDined on 6/29/2014We went with the premise that it was a good place to eat. We ended up loving the ambiance and great service. The food was very good along with their signature cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014Went for our anniversary and were not disappointed. We normally go to a Morton's for special events when we are in a location they serve. Donovan's was a last minute change and it was excellent, service was attentive, food quality and preparation was bang on, and a great wine selection to accompany the meal was all you could ask for. Steaks are their specialty and they have perfected the cooking of them. Only issue I would have is they have priced themselves into the special occasion selection with steaks in the $50 range then add on the extras. But special event it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced but excellent meatJGJGDined on 6/27/2014Overpriced but excellent meat; served a whiskey sour that was sweet; excellent Malbec by the glass.Special Features:
- Vacation DiningGreatSteakDined on 6/27/2014On vacation from Chicago. Donovan's was comparable to Chicago's great many steakhouses. Excellent dinning expeience with outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food unbecoming a steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014The filet I ordered as medium arrived well done. The herb crusted chicken was dry. The bread was excellent. The service as well. Will not be back as the food you receive is not a value at their prices.
- Always GreatDeliciousosDined on 6/26/2014We've been to Donovan's multiple times and it is consistently excellent. The food is simple delicious and the service is attentive. Hands down one of the best steakhouses anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014We were there pretty early because we had a concert to catch at 7:30. Food, service, everything was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIFIC DINNERDowntownGirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014We recently enjoyed a birthday dinner at Donovan's Steak House in downtown San Diego. The service, atmosphere and food were all excellent. Great staff who were very attentive and brought a delicious birthday dessert.Special Features:
- Our 25th Wedding AnniversaryNixer286Dined on 6/23/2014My wife and I had great dining experience at Donovan's as we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary. From the time we walked in and the hostess wished us a happy anniversary to the time our waiter, Eric, made us feel 100% at ease and welcome. His knowledge of the menu helped my wife and I choose our meals, which exceeded both our expectations. My wife had the bacon wrapped filet with lobster and I had the rib eye. Both were cooked to perfection and loaded with flavor. At the conclusion of our meal, we were treated to a tasty creme brule. My wife and I were very happy when we left. The staff, the meal, and the ambiance at Donovan's really added to our anniversary celebration. Thank you! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowElizabethandJustinDined on 6/22/2014My husband and I celebrated our one year anniversary at Donovans and the team created a magical evening we will never forget. The food, service and overall experience exceeded our expectations and our Captain Jason went out of his way to make us feel special. We cannot say enough about this place! Pure magic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Donovan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014We are always impressed with Donovan's. It is our kind of special restaurant. The food and service is great and the environment is quiet. The waiters are attentive, knowledgeable and gracious. The steaks are the best in San Diego.Special Features:
- best steakOcfoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014after eating out all week at a conference this was the best mealSpecial Features:
- Simply wonderfulMaxidunnDined on 6/21/2014I have had the pleasure of dining at Donovan's 4 times in the past year, and let me assure it is amazing. Service was beyond, with there knowledge and recommendations. There is not one item here that I can say is average. Always a pleasure dining at Donovan's gaslamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.