Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
570 K Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.donovanssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192379700x1
- Hours of Operation:
Cocktail lounge opens at 4 pm, Happy Hour is 4:00pm - 6:00pm Daily. Dinner Service starts at 5 pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Holiday Hours may apply, call for specifics.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature classic American music, including Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Special Events: We have 2 private rooms that can accommodate up to 40 guests.
Please call or email Charlotte Wagner.
A word from Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp
Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 300 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Donovan's - San Diego Gaslamp reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (97)notable wine list (67)fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (26)late-night find (15)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great meal at Donovan'sLV2EatDined on 9/28/2014We booked a table before the Paul McCartney concert, we were 2 blocks away from the venue. Despite the crowds outside, it was relatively calm inside, and we were seated at our appointed time. My husband and I both got versions of the filet mignon, it was delicious. The service was attentive without being obnoxious. I would recommend Donovan's for anyone who wanted a special evening in the Gaslamp District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Quality Meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went to Donovan's for our second time, this time for our Anniversary. Wait staff was on point and friendly, made great recommendations for wine and food. It was a little loud for our first 30 minutes due to 2 large groups who were already seated in our area when we arrived for our reservation. After they left, it was much better. The food and service won't dissapoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJCVDined on 9/25/2014My husband and I went to Donovan's during the SD Restaurant Week. Because I have a gift card, I figured what a perfect time to use it! It has been over 20 years since we have gone out to dinner alone, so we felt a little awkward. We found the best parking garage which was only a block away from the restaurant that only charged $1.00/hr. When we got seated, my husband and I did not feel very comfortable because the place was too upscale for us. We requested to be moved towards the wall -- our request was gladly accommodated. We ordered from the special menu and decided on getting the Filet Medalions and Salmon. OMG! DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Good EatsMandalorDined on 9/24/2014Great spot for a Gaslamp experience, I would recommend Donavan's to any visitor...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperenceMurphyDined on 9/24/2014This was a meal that was handled by three wait staff, done with elegance. The food was top notch, made right and every aspect was worthy of their reputation. If you are considering this place for a meal, stop searching and go there.Special Features:
- Great dinningRomanceDined on 9/22/2014Good food, nice romantic place to celebrate special ocationsSpecial Features:
- OutstandingMoomDined on 9/22/2014Have never been disappointed at a Donovan's. Unbelievable food and service. Great for a special occasion or before going to a Padre game. Would usually dress up for a restaurant like this, but with it next to Petco Park, they're good the more casually dressed Fans as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated our one year anniversary at Donovan's and loved it. We have gone to Ruth Chris and Carvers and enjoy both as well, but the service at Donovan's was amazing. Nit to mention the best porterhouse steak I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Thank you I had a good experience definitely I will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalGrammiDined on 9/19/2014My experience at this restaurant was fantastic. Food, service, and atmosphere were absolute perfection. I eagerly await my next trip to San Diego so I can revisit this amazing place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aztrim12aztrim12Dined on 9/19/2014One of San Diego's best restaurant. 5 Stars all the way. Our group of 8 was handled with no problem. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- Bring Your Ear Plugs!RorydinesVIPDined on 9/10/2014If I had dinner on the 50 yard line in the center of Century Link Field during a Seahawks game it would be quieter than this restaurant. I left with hearing loss. This was on a Wednesday night - can only imagine a week-end night. The combination of large groups all trying to talk over each other combined with terrible acoustics in the dining room was toxic.Special Features:
- Almost PerfectILoveSteakDined on 9/7/2014Great food, wine and service. We came for dinner for our 3rd anniversary and were treated like royalty. We didnt have a great seat though. They sat us in the room on the oposite side if the bar in the corner by the window. There was a large table bahind with noisey people and a window right in front of us where we could see all the wonderful drunk people us downtown stumble by. Loved every other park of the night but really wouldve been perfect if we had that nice corner booth with the dim lighting that was a little more private.Special Features:
- Great food. Not sure I'd go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Great food. Not my style of décor and pretty loud. We initially were sat next to a bachelor party that was crude and obnoxious. The staff was accommodating in moving us when we asked, but then I noticed they sat another couple right where we had been so think that was a little rude knowing they had an obnoxious group there, but at least they moved us when we asked.Special Features:
- Great steaks, great serviceDisappointedDinerDined on 9/6/2014Wait staff was attentive and friendly. Steaks were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak housejackmo74VIPDined on 9/5/2014I live up the street from Donovans and made a reservation for my boyfriend's birthday. We both have dined in numerous steak houses and have our favorites. We shared things: Bacon wrapped scallops, chopped salad, bone-in NY, and creme brulee. The appetizer and salad were good, but i felt the quality was not exactly what i thought i was paying for, but scallops were surprising cooked really well, just lacking flavor which is surprising since its wrapped in bacon. Bone in NY, priced 71, was good. Cooked perfect, med-rare, and was enjoyable. Best part of the dinner was our creme brulee. Best i've had. Definitely would go back, but maybe for more of a casual dinner at the bar.Special Features:
- Donovan's San DiegoHihoSilverDined on 9/5/2014Another superb visit to Donovan's. The bone-in New York was excellent--we had it Oscar-style and split it, which was plenty for two! Next time we'll try the "Anniversary Table" for an even more special evening.Special Features:
- Great service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014The waiter was AMAZING. He was SO FUNNY and so knowledge about all the food and drinks. It was an awsome experience and I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceKenyonDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding service, knowledgeable and attentive staff- great food! Loved it- it was our son's 21st birthday and the dinner went great!Special Features:
- ExcellentStevoskiVIPDined on 8/31/2014Donovan's never fails to exceed expectations and the food was so good as usual. Service was impeccable made more so by Matthews personal attention to detail and very good wine advice. Thank you again Donovan's for another wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Simply amazingKv88Dined on 8/28/2014Was my friends birthday and the food and service was just amazing. Definitely made it a special night! Thanks for taking such good care of us :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above Average PlacepiqpstVIPDined on 8/26/2014Amazing place and food was great. Nothing negative to say and we had a good time. It didn't hit 5 stars because the wow factor wasn't there. Not sure if we would return again as it was a basic steak place comparable with any average steak restaurant.Special Features:
- Very GoodHonestWinerDined on 8/24/2014I got the New York strip and it was delicious. The chocolate moose was average. I would return to Donovon's steak house again.Special Features:
- Best steakbluegirlDined on 8/23/2014We found this place through the food network app. It was a great find. The steak was astounding. It is the best steak by far we have had. The service was great. It is not cheap, but for a special occasion very well worth it.Special Features:
- Terrible experienceCC2014Dined on 8/23/2014We made a reservation for early dining to beat the crowds and night life of downtown. We arrived early for our reservation and had a cocktail in the bar. We were only one of two tables. This experience was okay. Once we finished our drinks and crab cake we moved to our dining table. With a very empty restaurant we were seated upstairs on a two top in a dark corridor. There were other open tables throughout the entire venue. My fiancés steak was full of gristle. My shrimp were overcooked. This is not a fine dining venue. The over all experience was less than satisfying. We go the Donovan's in LJ and love it. We will not go back to the Gaslamp Location.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner w/ Love of my LifePhilKnowsFoodDined on 8/22/2014Martini at the bar while we waited for a cozy table. Free mignon wraps - holy cow! Price Fix - Chop salad (add blue cheese), blue cheese mignon, crème brulee with a La Roach Pinot Noir to wash. Amazing. PerfectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and elegantbebedubsDined on 8/19/2014We had a quiet, romantic table in the corner. The staff was very friendly & attentive. Our dinner was great-NY strip, filet, scallops, great sides, lovely bottle of wine, and finished up with the tiramisu. We really enjoyed it. The style is a little dated, but this place was wonderful.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service Great FoodCharlineDined on 8/19/2014We once again were impressed with the service and the delicious food at DonovansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BirthdayEpicureanDined on 8/18/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the steaks; kudos to the chef. Very attentive staff and hostess made the evening birthday celebration very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a rare touch of class in san diegoalansappetiteDined on 8/17/2014Donovan's has their act together. They do everything right: food, service, ambience. Our server, Eric, is the epitome of professionalism. Easy sell, good sense of humor. The food was as good as it gets. Sure, the price is steep, but you are paying for a combination of food, ambience and theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Di1951Dined on 8/17/2014We didn't think the food was that great for the price.Special Features:
- Loved it!MsMy34Dined on 8/16/2014I brought a friend here for a bon voyage dinner before he deploys. We both had a great time, the food was amazing, ambience was beautiful and the customer service was beyond awesome. I would definitely recommend dinning here for a special occasion. I am definitely going to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightMandoDined on 8/16/2014Highly recommend for any special occasion. Very attentive staff and excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Even Better StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Awesome dining experience for my girlfriend and I. We were celebrating a romantic evening together. We were a little more intimate than we should have been in this setting but the staff left us alone until we focused on the menu. They were very pleasant and accommodating and our server, Matthew, made some excellent recommendations that we followed and were extremely pleased with. When being seated, I pulled the chair out for my date and then assisted her by sliding it back in beneath her. The hostess made a nice comment about how sweet it was and how she loved that. Just everything allowed us to be intimate and feel romantic without being rushed or judged. Very nice staff! The steaks were great and potato and veggies included in the price.Special Features:
- You Don't Know JackchefbobcatVIPDined on 8/15/2014Jack was the Captain/Server for our dining experience at Donovan's - San Diego Gas Lamp. Jack and his team provided service that was attentive, but not intrusive, timely, but not pushy and excellent in every way. In this day over of diners not understanding proper dress codes, we appreciate a restaurant that still pays attention to detail including Tuxedos worn by the Captain. The meal started with very tasty bread and the butter served on a heated plate that made it easy to spread. My excellent Oysters Rockefeller was served on a heated plate and were our main courses. Donovan's is a classic Steak House that is unfortunately disappearing from the dining culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 80th birthday dinner celebrationjackramDined on 8/14/2014there were three of us celebrating the 80th b'day of one of the women. the service was wonderful, as was the food. the staff took means to make our friend's b'day a celebration, which included a creme brûlée that was excellent, and a glass champagne for all. we could not have asked for more. my second time here and I will definitely go back. best filet mignon I've ever had, and it was cooked correctly for me, med. rare.Special Features:
- HomerSimpsondinVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great for Steaks. Outstanding service. A top notch steak restaurant. Too bad guests do not show proper respect. Sandals and T-shirts. I do not blame the restaurant. Same people board aircraft in flip flops and shorts. That is our world. It is what it is. But food was great and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of hype...NikNakDined on 8/6/2014Let me just start by saying my Ahi steak was amazing! My issue, and a very minute issue, were the side dishes. I had the au gratin potatoes which were bland...my girlfriend had the garlic smashed potatoes, again bland. I just expected for a restaurant of this caliber to not rely so heavily on their star attractions(steak).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent AlwaysManoloDined on 8/5/2014One of my three favorites steak and wine restaurants in the USA. Always great quality food at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Food and service was greatBigfootDined on 8/3/2014Had the fillet and scallops. The food and service was great. Love there bread. Restaurant is very nice with a classy vibe. Lighting was way to bright, we were upstairs and the wife had to change chairs to avoid the over table light blinding her in the eyes. That's was the only issueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.