Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
1571 Poipu Rd.
Poipu, HI 96756Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grandhyattkauai.com/
- Phone: (808) 240-6456
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Monday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Closed Tuesday/Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shimada
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
Bistro café style Italian can now be found at Dondero’s. Traditionally bistro’s serve moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting, while our setting is that of a grand Tuscan villa, the ambiance is casual, the food - classic Italian and the prices reasonable. The new menu features many classic dishes and Neapolitan style pizzas. Our delicious house made gelato makes the perfect dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai - Best Restaurants in Poipu ›
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (29)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (26)special occasion (25)fit for foodies (14)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Delicious Italian in KauaiGalwayGirlDined on 11/17/2014Koko, our waiter, provided superb service - patient and attentive. He recommended the crab and lobster pasta, which we shared. It was delicious and more than enough food for two!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodSophiaDined on 11/16/2014The location was great . The food was not worth the money . We ordered the different pastas with seafood and there was basically no seafood to be found . Not worth it. Rum Fire or Beach House down the street much better .Special Features:
- ordinaryJoeyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Did not have a large selection of entrees, but included dinners along with pizza. The Italian flavor we are accustomed to was altered with a asian twist. A little disappointing, but service was great. Questionable I would rush back unless to try their pizza.Special Features:
- great food great servicefoodisgoodDined on 11/3/2014We always enjoy Dondero's when we visit Kauai. The service is warm yet professional . The menu is interesting and all the food is fresh and and wonderful. We will return there every time we visit the island.Special Features:
- Donderos is always excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2014I've been going here with friends for years! One of our favorite places! Especially love the risotto!! But you can't go wrong whatever you choose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/19/2014Juan, our server, was really subpar. He not once poured our wine - we had to pour our own wine. Not once did he refresh our water glasses when I saw him doing that for other guests. I saw him look toward our table a few times and so he knew our glasses were standing half empty. He didn't make any food recommendations, dropped off the dessert menu without a word, and clearly didn't think we were worthy of his time. The busser, on the other hand, was great. Good attitude, helpful. Young blond man. I has the carbonara - wouldn't recommend it. My husband had the special rib eye and he really liked it.Special Features:
- lovely!misskatsVIPDined on 10/17/2014although it was the night before the hurricane, and it was rainy, we still got to grab a patio seating. the waiter Alexandro was super and so was the hostesses. they were very accomdiating to my requests with my young children. we also met Vanessa, who was really nice as well. food was great! We rushed out the kids food as my son could not stay up and ended up sleeping on the table. he woke up the next morning still dreaming of his Vanilla Gelato .Special Features:
- Wonderful food and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Alessandro, as always, provides wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dondero's KauaiTavernDined on 10/16/2014We try to get to Dondero's each time we visit Kauai. Food is excellent; service is friendly yet professional. Restaurant is elegant. The place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jillyfishDined on 10/13/2014Overall a very good dinner for a special night out. Slightly overpriced, but what isn't in Kauai. Great gluten-free options - even gluten-free bread brought to the table! Service was excellent and dinner was delicious - my husband could not stop raving about the mushroom alfredo! If the prices were more reasonable we would come again...Special Features:
- Quite a meatballOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Dondero's features everything from osso buco to pizza. But a pizzeria it's not. Homemade pastas, mostly standard preparations, but well handled. I had the spaghetti and meatball- just one, but it was the size of three. Surprisingly it was moist ans well cooked, which is sometimes a problem for oversized ones. My wife had a fish and pasta dish which even we east coasters thought was pretty good. The wine list is extensive and there are several offered by the glass. There was a small wedding party there that night, but the space is large enough to handle groups without it being a bother to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I actually enjoyed this restaurant so much that we ate there two nights in a row. Excellent italian dining, great food, wonderful atmosphere, excellent views, unbelievably delicious dining. Everything on the menu is a homerun.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Went no knowing what to expect. We were greeted by Rosemary our server who was fantastic. Food was superb. Great time fir all of us!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has changed menuhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/25/2014On previous visits we have enjoyed several meals at this Hyatt restaurant. We were disappointed to find this year that not only had they closed Yum Cha but also changed this restaurant also. The food was mediocre and not what I expected.
- Nice WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Food was well presented. All fresh ingredients. The shrimp dish was very good. Our waiter was very pleasant and congenial. Do not order the house Chianti it is not what you expect; their Pinot Noir is a much better choice.Special Features:
- The following 187 reviews are from the Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews archive.
- beautiful settingMaryVIPDined on 7/13/2014This restaurant has a gorgeous setting. The service was very good. A bus boy did spill water all over my foot. Fortunately I had flip flops on. I had shrimp with linguine which was almost tasteless. I don't know why. It could have been wonderful. My husband had pasta with pesto and chicken which he said was very good. The gorgeous setting was worth going to this restaurant not the food.Special Features:
- Not the best serviceNotthebestserviceDined on 7/10/2014Food was good. Wait stuff polite, professional and friendly but service was average. We ran out of water and no one noticed. Ran out of bread and no one asked if we wanted more.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner at Dondero'sBigcitybluesDined on 7/6/2014Ask for a table outside and you will have a wonderful view to complement a delicious dinner. Pasta, fish, chicken and osso buco were all outstanding, as was dessert. Service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 7 dinnerTaitam11Dined on 7/6/2014Food taste and selection good; had the chef's special pasta and veggie which were very good. May want to check on the spice level as I enjoyed the kick, but may not be for everyone's liking. Service was a bit slow, but all in all a good experience - definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vanessa our server is awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been going to Dondero's for several years as we visit Kauai regularly. We ask for Vanessa to be our server every time as she is attentive, friendly, and truly amazing!!! She is top notch!!! My husband and I have dietary restrictions and they were very accommodating. I do wish they would not have limited their menu so much compared to their previous menu choices. Perhaps, a few more "healthy" options for the low-carb diner. Overall, always wonderful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Exceptional food and service. Great dining experience; beautiful view on outdoor patio. Thoroughly enjoyed celebrating our 30th anniversary dinner at Dondero's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjnapaliDined on 6/28/2014Donderos was great! the view is fantastic-the only downside was the Hula show next door took away from the ambience of an Italian villa-but we are in Hawaii-so just schedule your dining later if this bothers you. The calamari appetizer was tasty but nothing special-the lobster and crab pasta was delicious and the pannacotta dessert very nice-small portion-so not really enough for 2 to share- The décor is really outdated and could use refurbishment but over allit was a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHi@DonderosJeHiVIPDined on 6/26/2014Food was disappointing (pasta tasted just fatty). Too expansive, no real value for the money.Special Features:
- Just pass this up.SkipDined on 6/26/2014Don't waste your time dinning at Donderos. Although we had reservations, we were not allowed to dine outside because a luau was taking place, and it was noisy inside the restaurant from the drums of the luau. The interior décor is very dated. Although our waiter was pleasant, he seemed to be busy with a larger party, so we didn't get the service we expected. We sent a drink back, because the bartender didn't know how to properly make a lemon drop. After the drink returned, exactly the same, the bartender kept giving our table "the look" of annoyance. The food was average, but nothing worthy of praise. If you are male, good luck finding the restroom. You're in Kauai, dine elsewhere.
- Outstanding at Dondero'saaammgbVIPDined on 6/23/2014We had a great meal, with great service and a waiter who grew up on the island and even though we have come to Kauai for vacation 11 years, we still learn something every time we come as the waiter provided us some new information about some local places and this was our first visit to Dondero's, but it won't be our last as we are going back tomorrow evening. Highly recommend Dondero's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHi@DonderosJeHiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food is good and values the money, wines are definitely too expensive and not that special to justify the price.
- Da Bomb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Wow! We have been coming here for 8 years when staying at the Hyatt. Normally we trade between eating at tide pools (our favourite) and use Dondoro's for a change ( great but not memoir able). This year food is awesome! Would rather eat here than tide pools. Absolutely fantastic! Molakai sweet potatoe ravioli and pea/ asparagus risotto best vegetarian dishes I ever ate! Roasted pineapple gelato sorbet should be marketed! 10 out 10! Beautiful view ( request outside or view). Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful View and Great Foodmpk123VIPDined on 6/14/2014Sat center court on the outdoor patio and was very impressed with the beauty of the scenery; temperature was perfect in June. Both fish and pasta dishes ordered were delicious. Wine list was extensive. A lovely evening!Special Features:
- perfect placeimpressedDined on 5/31/2014From the service to the food, I can't think of a better place to enjoy a delicious dinner on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in KauaiMaximeDined on 5/30/2014My boyfriend and I visited Dondero's the first day of our trip and couldn't help but go back. The pasta was delicious and the service incredibly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014Excellent ocean view from outdoor patio. Food was very good and price was about as expected. Good variety on menu, good selection of wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Wonderful food, we had ceasar salad ,lemon linguini with shrimp, and the dessert was amazing chocolate budini with vanilla bean gelato. Heavenly and gluten free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLaurieSVIPDined on 5/19/2014Not to be missed! Outstanding in every way! Floor is amazing and innovative. Service outstanding eat outdoors for an incredible view.Special Features:
- Nice viewJAEdwardsVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a nice dinning experience. Great table on patio with a view, excellent service and good food. We would dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Setting/Great Italian FoodBKauilaniDined on 5/16/2014Went here for my 61st birthday with my husband. Very romantic terrace table overlooking the sea and sunset. Their osso bucco was fall off the bone excellent. Disappointed that of all the"nicer" restaurants on Kauai this one does not offer any kind of birthday candle or goodie. This extremely disappointed my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection in ParadiseJimCVIPDined on 5/15/2014This is hands-down the best upscale restaurant on the south shore of Kauai. We ate here 3 times the weeks we stayed, including once on the outdoor terrace overlooking the ocean. The large salads are exceptional, fresh and interesting and an excellent value. The pastas were very good, utilizing local and fresh seasonal ingredients. The classic(no cream) fettucine alfredo is the best I've had since leaving Boston 30 years ago(of course it is very rich, two could share one and pair with the enormous salads). It was a very good value for the quality and location.Special Features:
- Dondero'smehmetVIPDined on 5/2/2014Beautiful view if you request an outside table. Service was excellent. The food was quite good, a vast improvement from the last time we ate there 2 years ago. The menu has been simplified, which I guess allows them to focus better. I had the cioppino, which was quite tasty although it was the first time I have had cioppino without any shrimp in the fish mix. My wife had a lobster and crab with marscapone sauce on a shell pasta which was very good. The only negative (and a minor quibble) is that the bread was blah, not real Italian bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHelehopeVIPDined on 4/21/2014We returned to Donderos because I heard they had redone their menu and it was more casual dining and less expensive. What they should have done is redo the restaurant!! It looks like a Florida restaurant from the 60's. Yes, the view is beautiful but really still has seashells all over the walls? The food was fine. Our waiter was great. Prices still higher than explained to me. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceKauaiceDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I went for a special occasion and our whole experience was just that: Special! The service could not have been better. Jessie was personable and extremely helpful with the menu. And the menu, WOW. We started with the Ahi Carpaccio that was fresh as can be. Then we tried the sweet potato agnolotti that was out of this world. For entrees we opted for the wild mushroom risotto and the Osso Bucco. I've had both dishes at some of the finest restaurants in the country and these were second to none. This place is a must while on Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around lovely restaurantVegheadfoodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014Interesting menu, food beautifully prepared, very good service. One of us has severe shellfish allergy and vegetarian and the restaurant was very accommodating and there were delicious vegetarian options on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.