Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
1571 Poipu Rd.
Poipu, HI 96756Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grandhyattkauai.com/
- Phone: 8082406456x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Monday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm; Closed Tuesday/Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shimada
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai
Bistro café style Italian can now be found at Dondero’s. Traditionally bistro’s serve moderately priced simple meals in a modest setting, while our setting is that of a grand Tuscan villa, the ambiance is casual, the food - classic Italian and the prices reasonable. The new menu features many classic dishes and Neapolitan style pizzas. Our delicious house made gelato makes the perfect dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai - Best Restaurants in Poipu ›
Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (32)romantic (25)special occasion (24)great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (10)neighborhood gem (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- has changed menuhavingagreattimeinkauaiVIPDined on 8/25/2014On previous visits we have enjoyed several meals at this Hyatt restaurant. We were disappointed to find this year that not only had they closed Yum Cha but also changed this restaurant also. The food was mediocre and not what I expected.
- Nice WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Food was well presented. All fresh ingredients. The shrimp dish was very good. Our waiter was very pleasant and congenial. Do not order the house Chianti it is not what you expect; their Pinot Noir is a much better choice.Special Features:
- beautiful settingMaryDined on 7/13/2014This restaurant has a gorgeous setting. The service was very good. A bus boy did spill water all over my foot. Fortunately I had flip flops on. I had shrimp with linguine which was almost tasteless. I don't know why. It could have been wonderful. My husband had pasta with pesto and chicken which he said was very good. The gorgeous setting was worth going to this restaurant not the food.Special Features:
- Not the best serviceNotthebestserviceDined on 7/10/2014Food was good. Wait stuff polite, professional and friendly but service was average. We ran out of water and no one noticed. Ran out of bread and no one asked if we wanted more.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner at Dondero'sBigcitybluesDined on 7/6/2014Ask for a table outside and you will have a wonderful view to complement a delicious dinner. Pasta, fish, chicken and osso buco were all outstanding, as was dessert. Service was friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 7 dinnerTaitam11Dined on 7/6/2014Food taste and selection good; had the chef's special pasta and veggie which were very good. May want to check on the spice level as I enjoyed the kick, but may not be for everyone's liking. Service was a bit slow, but all in all a good experience - definitely would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vanessa our server is awesome!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been going to Dondero's for several years as we visit Kauai regularly. We ask for Vanessa to be our server every time as she is attentive, friendly, and truly amazing!!! She is top notch!!! My husband and I have dietary restrictions and they were very accommodating. I do wish they would not have limited their menu so much compared to their previous menu choices. Perhaps, a few more "healthy" options for the low-carb diner. Overall, always wonderful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Exceptional food and service. Great dining experience; beautiful view on outdoor patio. Thoroughly enjoyed celebrating our 30th anniversary dinner at Dondero's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjnapaliDined on 6/28/2014Donderos was great! the view is fantastic-the only downside was the Hula show next door took away from the ambience of an Italian villa-but we are in Hawaii-so just schedule your dining later if this bothers you. The calamari appetizer was tasty but nothing special-the lobster and crab pasta was delicious and the pannacotta dessert very nice-small portion-so not really enough for 2 to share- The décor is really outdated and could use refurbishment but over allit was a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHi@DonderosJeHiVIPDined on 6/26/2014Food was disappointing (pasta tasted just fatty). Too expansive, no real value for the money.Special Features:
- Just pass this up.SkipDined on 6/26/2014Don't waste your time dinning at Donderos. Although we had reservations, we were not allowed to dine outside because a luau was taking place, and it was noisy inside the restaurant from the drums of the luau. The interior décor is very dated. Although our waiter was pleasant, he seemed to be busy with a larger party, so we didn't get the service we expected. We sent a drink back, because the bartender didn't know how to properly make a lemon drop. After the drink returned, exactly the same, the bartender kept giving our table "the look" of annoyance. The food was average, but nothing worthy of praise. If you are male, good luck finding the restroom. You're in Kauai, dine elsewhere.
- Outstanding at Dondero'saaammgbDined on 6/23/2014We had a great meal, with great service and a waiter who grew up on the island and even though we have come to Kauai for vacation 11 years, we still learn something every time we come as the waiter provided us some new information about some local places and this was our first visit to Dondero's, but it won't be our last as we are going back tomorrow evening. Highly recommend Dondero's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHi@DonderosJeHiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food is good and values the money, wines are definitely too expensive and not that special to justify the price.
- Da Bomb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Wow! We have been coming here for 8 years when staying at the Hyatt. Normally we trade between eating at tide pools (our favourite) and use Dondoro's for a change ( great but not memoir able). This year food is awesome! Would rather eat here than tide pools. Absolutely fantastic! Molakai sweet potatoe ravioli and pea/ asparagus risotto best vegetarian dishes I ever ate! Roasted pineapple gelato sorbet should be marketed! 10 out 10! Beautiful view ( request outside or view). Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful View and Great Foodmpk123VIPDined on 6/14/2014Sat center court on the outdoor patio and was very impressed with the beauty of the scenery; temperature was perfect in June. Both fish and pasta dishes ordered were delicious. Wine list was extensive. A lovely evening!Special Features:
- perfect placeimpressedDined on 5/31/2014From the service to the food, I can't think of a better place to enjoy a delicious dinner on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in KauaiMaximeDined on 5/30/2014My boyfriend and I visited Dondero's the first day of our trip and couldn't help but go back. The pasta was delicious and the service incredibly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014Excellent ocean view from outdoor patio. Food was very good and price was about as expected. Good variety on menu, good selection of wines as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2014Wonderful food, we had ceasar salad ,lemon linguini with shrimp, and the dessert was amazing chocolate budini with vanilla bean gelato. Heavenly and gluten free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLaurieSVIPDined on 5/19/2014Not to be missed! Outstanding in every way! Floor is amazing and innovative. Service outstanding eat outdoors for an incredible view.Special Features:
- The following 169 reviews are from the Dondero's - Grand Hyatt Kauai reviews archive.
- Nice viewJAEdwardsDined on 5/17/2014We had a nice dinning experience. Great table on patio with a view, excellent service and good food. We would dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Setting/Great Italian FoodBKauilaniDined on 5/16/2014Went here for my 61st birthday with my husband. Very romantic terrace table overlooking the sea and sunset. Their osso bucco was fall off the bone excellent. Disappointed that of all the"nicer" restaurants on Kauai this one does not offer any kind of birthday candle or goodie. This extremely disappointed my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection in ParadiseJimCVIPDined on 5/15/2014This is hands-down the best upscale restaurant on the south shore of Kauai. We ate here 3 times the weeks we stayed, including once on the outdoor terrace overlooking the ocean. The large salads are exceptional, fresh and interesting and an excellent value. The pastas were very good, utilizing local and fresh seasonal ingredients. The classic(no cream) fettucine alfredo is the best I've had since leaving Boston 30 years ago(of course it is very rich, two could share one and pair with the enormous salads). It was a very good value for the quality and location.Special Features:
- Dondero'smehmetDined on 5/2/2014Beautiful view if you request an outside table. Service was excellent. The food was quite good, a vast improvement from the last time we ate there 2 years ago. The menu has been simplified, which I guess allows them to focus better. I had the cioppino, which was quite tasty although it was the first time I have had cioppino without any shrimp in the fish mix. My wife had a lobster and crab with marscapone sauce on a shell pasta which was very good. The only negative (and a minor quibble) is that the bread was blah, not real Italian bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHelehopeVIPDined on 4/21/2014We returned to Donderos because I heard they had redone their menu and it was more casual dining and less expensive. What they should have done is redo the restaurant!! It looks like a Florida restaurant from the 60's. Yes, the view is beautiful but really still has seashells all over the walls? The food was fine. Our waiter was great. Prices still higher than explained to me. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceKauaiceDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I went for a special occasion and our whole experience was just that: Special! The service could not have been better. Jessie was personable and extremely helpful with the menu. And the menu, WOW. We started with the Ahi Carpaccio that was fresh as can be. Then we tried the sweet potato agnolotti that was out of this world. For entrees we opted for the wild mushroom risotto and the Osso Bucco. I've had both dishes at some of the finest restaurants in the country and these were second to none. This place is a must while on Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around lovely restaurantVegheadfoodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014Interesting menu, food beautifully prepared, very good service. One of us has severe shellfish allergy and vegetarian and the restaurant was very accommodating and there were delicious vegetarian options on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice dinner!FineDinnerVIPDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I had a lovely evening. We arrived a little early for our reservation and were seated promptly. Our waitress was very attentive and the food was great. Everything was ala cart on the menu, but the appetizer portions were quite generous and we found that we didn't need sides with the entrees. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was there wine list was a little disappointing & was out dated by at least a good decade. It was very commercial, most items I could find in any supermarket. . I was hoping since it was an Italian restaurant there would be a little bit more of an old world selection or a least some smaller wineries out of Cali. Despite that we will most definitely be back, we visit Poipu at least twice a yearSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious pasta dishes. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/4/2014Delicious pasta dishes. Great service. Beautiful view of the ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening............KimoDined on 3/29/2014After being seated at an excellent table with such a beautiful outdoor scenic view,everything was superb.The atmosphere and setting was romantic.From the wine to the pasta,the food was absolute authenticity.Dont forget to try the Tiramisu.And,the service was nothing short of first class treatment.Such a wonderful evening.Thanks Dondero's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servingsHnlDinerVIPDined on 3/27/2014Server was attentive and recommendaitons were good.Special Features:
- If it isn't raining or tooOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/24/2014If it isn't raining or too windy, make sure to ask for a table outside on the patio.
- Beauitful sunset at Dondero'smanoiDined on 3/23/2014We went for my 60th birthday. We had a beauitful view of the sunset. the music was nice and not over powering. The wait staff was there when needed but not in you face. You able to have an romantic dinner and talk with out someone constinely coming by with this or that reason. The food was wounderful and tasteful. Every one was very nice and friendly. We will go again and bring friends.Special Features:
- Just okay but not surprising reallyLoveToEatInTODined on 3/22/2014Let me preface this review by saying that we live in Toronto and are lucky to have great Italian food available and real Neopolitan style pizza. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised that the food wasn't super given that we were on a small island in Hawaii. The pizza was really disappointing so I would not recommend it. The setting inside the restaurant is not my style so I would suggest getting a seat on the patio if possible - book well ahead of time.
- uninspiredNormVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was uninspired and average at best. Cioppino was bland and seafood in it overcooked and mushy. Chicken entree was also bland and a small portion. Both were overpriced.
- Food was not on par with pricing ..BlondieDined on 3/17/2014I was so excited to find an Italian restaurant with gluten free options! My meal started out with four slices of toasted gluten free sandwich bread. It was a nice gesture, underwhelming on the execution. I was expecting something similar to the dinner rolls at Legal Seafood. I ordered the gluten free fettuccine alfredo. My dish was served with penne, the gluten free pasta of the night. There isn't much that can be said of the pasta - it is what it is. The sauce - therein lies much of the disappointment. Alfredo sauce is something I splurge on, but at least make it worth my while. This meal left a lot to be desired. The consistency was satisfactory but off-put by a bland taste. Alfredo is an art that has yet to be mastered at Dondero's.
- Best Italian food on KauaiEpicureanqueenDined on 3/3/2014The lobster pasta was excellent with portions large enough to satisfy a hungry man.. Both the regular and gluten free were equally delicious! We were well attended to and not interrupted. The decor while easy to have a conversation, could use some updating to give a more Hawaiian feel.Special Features:
- Seafood pasta was very disappointinEmartinDined on 2/28/2014Seafood pasta was very disappointing. There was way too much sauce. Brussels sprouts were over sauced as well. Surprising for an upscale Italian restaurant.
- Excellent as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014We visit this restaurant every year fof the last 15+ years, and have been always satisfied with their perfection. Again this year, the seafood pasta was amazingly delicious with the new taste. Definitely we will return next year aslo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningkavaDined on 2/16/2014My husband and I have enjoyed Dondero's in the past and were looking forward to their new menu. We were not disappointed. I was impressed with their many vegetarian and gluten free options. My husband really enjoyed the local hamakua mushroom soup, and loved the spaghetti bolognese. I had the lemon garlic shrimp linguine,nice garlic flavor and great pasta . We had the side order of Parmesan polenta - super good, super rich! Portions were good sized and we're having some for lunch today! I couldn't finish dinner, but of course had no problem finishing dessert - lilikoi pineapple crostata - with their homemade sorbet and gelatos! Service was very friendly and knowledgeable. Mahalo Donderos for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.