1041 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donatoenoteca.com/
- Phone: (650) 701-1000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Donato Scotti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Special Events: Please contact Krista Merlino at 650-454-5644
A word from Donato Enoteca
Set in the heart of downtown Redwood City, Donato Enoteca offers true and honest contemporary Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Donato Scotti that changes weekly determined by the freshest available seasonal produce. Homemade pastas, wood-burning oven pizzas, meat and fish courses are available, executed in an authentic yet modern way. The menu spans every region of Italy and incorporates artisanal products, such as fresh imported burrata, prosciutto, grappa and olive oil. Other in-house specialties include sausages, mostarda and lamb prosciutto. The wine list focuses on smaller-production boutique wineries from Italy, California and France.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Donato Enoteca - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Donato Enoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (51)notable wine list (47)good for groups (45)great for outdoor dining (41)great for lunch (38)romantic (29)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (9)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014We went for our 10 year anniversary and had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMikeVIPDined on 11/23/2014Food service and wine are all worth the trip. Parking can be a hassle but not a show stopper. dsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great WaiterNadineDined on 11/22/2014Two of us had dinner at Donato Enoteca Saturday 2 November. This was about my fifth time there, both for dinner and lunch. Our waiter was a handsome, gracious, completely professional young Italian from Tuscany who could not have provided better service without a hint of obsequiousness. I just wish I'd thought to ask for his name, but he and his service were outstanding. I ordered in Italian and he complimented me (I grew up speaking it), which was a genuinely spontaneous reply. This is a gem of a place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reservation at DonatoGreatscenicfoodnotsogreatDined on 11/21/2014I made reservations at Donato thru Open Table and requested a quiet booth. I had an important lunch meeting and wanted a quiet location at Donato. When I arrived 15 minutes early to "check-in"...I was abhorred when the host showed me my table in front of the restaurant next to the cash register!!!! I objected. He showed me another table in front of the bar. I again objected because everyone coming into the restaurant would have to go by our table. Looking around, the quiet tables were not available during lunch....said the waiter. So, I choose a table at a corner. I had trouble getting the attention of the staff.....I was told that only 2 waiter was working during lunch! Food was OK......very slow. Maybe dinner would be better....but the lunch was very disruptive and food was bland. Sorry....but the restaurant crammed too many tables up front .
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Talented live band on the Thursday night we went ! Not sure whether that's a regular occurance. Especially liked the pasta dish with oxtail & asparagus. The space seemed a bit large to call 'romantic', but it probably depends on where you are seated. They could certainly pull it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaPort63VIPDined on 11/14/2014The Bigoli Pasta is the best I have ever had. Oxtail and Fresh Asperagis . Cocktail are great as well. Very friendly and efficient staff including manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle deliciousLove2eatDined on 11/9/2014Great way to celebration a special occasion. We had the chef's truffle tasting menu...delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on Peninsula!ccnpalmomVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is by far our favorite restuarant on the Peninsula....everything about it is outstanding!Special Features:
- outstanding!LalaVIPDined on 11/8/2014beat all expectations....food was phenomenal! enjoyed it so much.Special Features:
- Delicious Italian FoodluvitalianfoodDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I had our birthday night dinner here. It was our first time here and we were really surprised that we hadn't been here before considering how good everything about it was. Service was good, wine list was pretty impressive, and food, food was superb! Now, I have traveled extensively in Italy and been to almost every region from northern Bolzano to Souther Palermo so I have very different standards when it comes to Italian food. Donato Enoteca is by far the best Italian food I have had outside of Italy! Will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- SalesTravelerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We arrived early for dinner, pre-movie attendance, and the restaurant was able to get us out in time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- geozDined on 11/6/2014PARTY OF FOUR. Two ordered the veal chop. One well done and one medium. When the waiter served the two dinners, he did not ask who had the medium cooked. He obviously did not know the two orders were different. Maybe the waitress did not record our request. When asked at the end of our meal, I told the waitress of my dried out veal chop. She replied "OH".
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/6/2014This was our second visit to Donato's. We enjoyed the first so much we invited friends to join us this time. The food was outstanding, but the service deplorable. It took an hour and forty five for a glass of wine, some pasta and a gelato. Our wa1ter seemed to be consumed with drying dishes at a small service counter. Will try it again since the food was so good.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodJeff7VIPDined on 11/1/2014Enoteca Donato is always very consistent and always very good. Donato watches over the open kitchen and approves each dish that goes to a customer. It's a chef-driven kitchen and it shows in the consistency and quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It Depends on the RoomWaldoLydeckerDined on 10/31/2014We were first offered a small table in a noisy, narrow bar section, complete with big screen TV and mooky suburbanites wearing shirts without buttons. The hostess gave us a quick glance to say "Why wouldn't you want to spend an evening with a collection of hearty former frat boys?" but moved us to a much more civilized and carpeted back room. Conditions immediately changed for the better with excellent food and well-trained service. Extra points for having more than a few vegetarian choices. Although this is not crucial to me, it does mean that the management is creative and adventurous.Special Features:
- Lots of funmauifolksDined on 10/27/2014We chose this restaurant because it was conveniently located between where we were staying and where our niece and her fiance worked. We were NOT disappointed. Food and service was great. Not your "standard" Italian food. Waiter was helpful and fun. Willing to accommodate our requests and even to create a dessert that was not on the menu, but which my niece knew from Italy. Recommended.Special Features:
- Great Serviceromance2Dined on 10/27/2014Food was amazing, the service was fantastic. We had a great time. They really respect the customer. Very highly well maintained management. Quite! Yes, you can have conversations.Special Features:
- Did you care we were there?DisappointedDined on 10/27/2014I recommended Donato's but I was disappointed. There were not many customers but it took for ever for our order to be taken (maybe 20 minutes) the waiter was not friendly and I have to say the calamari salad had very little calamari and Very little green. It felt like an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific sandwich!OhmaDined on 10/27/2014Flank steak on focaccia was enough for two--had our second serving mid-flight across the Pacific. Sure beat the "snacks for purchase" offered by the flight attendant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!PaloAltoDinerDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful selection of traditional, Italian fare, served with a refined, updated flair. Service was friendly and helpful. It's nice to have Italian waiters in an Italian restaurant to add an air of authenticity. Squid ink pasta was authentic. Ravioli was a hit with the kids. Nice selection of Italian wines. Multiple rooms allows the ambiance to feel lively without being crowded.Special Features:
- DoublerainbowDoublerainbowVIPDined on 10/23/2014When we asked about some specific wines, the waiter said I'll bring you a taste of what he decided we would like, rather than describing the wines. The waiter pushed the calamari appetizer, which we ordered per his recommendation. It was very good, but mainly filled with beans and 5 small bites of calamari. The eggplant entree was very good. In the reservation, I mentioned we were celebrating a birthday. The lemon panna cotta was outstanding, but arrived with no candle. The waiter came over and showed us numerous photos of his cat. We were having a private conversation and not interested in the photos.
- authentic Italian foodhighstandardsDined on 10/23/2014Great menu. We had bruschetta with wild boar, which was delicious and so hard to find on the menu here in the States. The spaghetti with squid ink were very good, although perhaps a tad bit too salty. The ravioli with lamb/beef/sausage were divine. Will definitely come back. Hard to find an authentic Itsluan restaurant south of SF, and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014It was a great experience! Hidden gem in Redwood City! We started at the happy hour (everyday from 3-6pm) and the drinks we had were delicious. We then moved into the dining area for dinner, with the same waiter from happy hour. We had the same wait from happy hour, he was very kind and helpful with the menu. The food was good! We enjoyed the bass and squid ink pasta the most. It was my mom's birthday. They were very accommodating and surprised her with a birthday dessert :) The people are very welcoming and the service was on point. We will be back at Donato Enoteca!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodLeslieTVIPDined on 10/15/2014I had to ask with persistence for a table for 2 in the back quiet much more sophisticated dining room. I made the reservation over a month in advance yet got seated immediately in the front just inside the door. I didn't even need a reservation for that! Felt like i was in the main lighted cafeteria style ambiance walk path and did not like it at all considering I can see right over into the nicer separate dining room which had a fabulous ambiance and much more cozier, and clearly with available seatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPatPatDined on 10/14/2014When I make the reservation, I specific listed my friend's birthday. When I arrived, I mentioned to the server is my friend's birthday as well. At the end, not even one candle on our dessert. Even a small mom and pop restaurant will say something nice for the birthday person or offer a simple scope of ice cream with candle on it. Very disappointed.
- Delicious ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant is the right place to go for a special night out. More than pasta options are offered. For an appetizer the calamari is exquisite. It is grilled and spiced in a way that had never had before. The insalata di pomodori had thinly, side sliced cucumbers and heirloom tomatoes. Wow! I had the eggplant ravioli. It was light and not too cheesy. My wife had the seafood stew and loved it. We all shared my daughter's Pizza Margherita - very good. We all ordered a dessert and shared. They were enjoyed by everyone. We would definitely come back to this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014First time there (dinner with assorted antipasti) with another couple. Food was delicious. Good for casual dining. We weren't rushed. As we are all Italian we appreciate good Italian food at an authentic Italian restaurant operated by Italians! Also noticed review in "San Francisco" magazine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experience 9/26/14BillDined on 9/26/2014I asked about the chef's signature dish and ordered it. It was an unusual pasta with oxtail and the sauce from cooking the oxtail. The waiter gave a good description and the dish answered in every respect. It was delicious. I ordered a glass of Italian Pinot Noir and was disappointed in how little one-fifth of a bottle is, which is what the wine list explicitly stated for a glass. The waiter was excellent except that he did not pick up the check folder with my credit card payment for 15-20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a DelightjohnbizprofVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here at least a dozen times and everything has always been great!Special Features:
- mb650VIPDined on 9/21/2014Food was very good, nice atmosphere and very good waiter who went out of his way to answer all the questions we had about the food.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Love Donato's, never disappointed. Bigoli pasta was to die for, as was the mussels and all the yummy winesSpecial Features:
- Lovely Italian RestaurantKleemanimalDined on 9/10/2014We had a small group in for dinner. The food was excellent. We had a nice cove to conduct business in a very comfortable environment. The wine list is broad; ranging from inexpensive to very expensive.Special Features:
- NOT YOUR TYPICAL PASTA JOINTEYEWANTMOREVIPDined on 9/7/2014Menu and specials show wonderful creativity while being true to Italian ingredients. The special sounded so good all three of us ordered it, and were grateful we did - handmade paparadelle with a pesto/italian parsley/butter/olive oil (quality)/butter sauce, and chantrelle mushrooms. We each ordered separate appetizers, and all three - two salads and a wild boar bruschetta were outstanding. We really enjoyed our server, whose recommendations were spot-on: Pooja was her name, and she was delightful.Special Features:
- Perfect birthday celebrationMarthajaneDined on 8/31/2014Six of us celebrated my daughter's 25th at dinner on a quiet Sunday evening. The decor, food and our waiter were all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a valuable Italian in the ValleyMarcoDined on 8/27/2014I had business lunch there and I enjoyed sitting outdoor under the sun. menu list not too long (that's good) but food not outstanding as the place inspires. service just fair, likely because we are a bit late on weekday's lunch time. in a nutshell a place to try again, dinner time and having a more complete meal with wine.Special Features:
- A gem on the penninsulaDonatosDined on 8/23/2014We usually go to San Francisco for our date night but on the way to the musical, Dream Girls, in Redwood City we decided to eat at Donato Enoteca. What a treat! The very polished waiter offered us his recommendations of the best dishes and wine as we sat outside under perfect weather conditions. They offer everyone an olive tapenade with garlic that is amazing with their fresh bread to start off. They have a full bar with many specialty drinks including a barrel-aged Manhattan that was the best I have ever had. The warm calamari salad was amazing as was the ox tail pasta dish, all complemented by a bold Barolo wine. This restaurant is a very good one that competes well with Italian restaurants in San Francisco. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Mostly GooddeetravelDined on 8/22/2014We visited this restaurant after flying into town for a weekend trip. Donatos was kind enough to adjust our reservation at the last minute due to changes with our flight. We were seated promptly. The restaurant was very busy as it was a Friday night. We thought our server was ok, but could have been better. I think he had too many tables to cover. My pasta dish was quite good, but my husband's chicken was overcooked, with a few black spots on the skin from burning too long in broiler. We did enjoy a delicious dessert and coffee. Overall experience could have been a bit better, so perhaps we will try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutaloteatoutalotDined on 8/22/2014Great food and great service. Nice to find a place that serves pasta carbonara, too, with real bacon!Special Features:
- Disappointing EveninggonzoDined on 8/16/2014I've eaten at Donato Enoteca 8 - 10 times before my most recent visit. Every time was wonderful: the food, ambiance, and especially the service. Last Saturday evening the food and ambiance were still great but the service was terrible, prompting several in my party to begin discussing where we should go to get something to eat when we walked out. Everyone at the restaurant apologized but things did not get significantly better: the drinks we ordered were slow in arriving, and our main course order was not delivered correctly (and one person's order was wrong). Management did substitute a superior wine for the one we ordered but too little too late. I'll go back but only once if the next experience is anything like this last one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!DeltaTDined on 8/15/2014I recommend the Prosciutto as an appetizer and Pork Belly Risotto for the main course!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.