1041 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donatoenoteca.com/
- Phone: 6507011000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Donato Scotti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Special Events: Please contact Krista Merlino at 650-454-5644
A word from Donato Enoteca
Set in the heart of downtown Redwood City, Donato Enoteca offers true and honest contemporary Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Donato Scotti that changes weekly determined by the freshest available seasonal produce. Homemade pastas, wood-burning oven pizzas, meat and fish courses are available, executed in an authentic yet modern way. The menu spans every region of Italy and incorporates artisanal products, such as fresh imported burrata, prosciutto, grappa and olive oil. Other in-house specialties include sausages, mostarda and lamb prosciutto. The wine list focuses on smaller-production boutique wineries from Italy, California and France.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Donato Enoteca - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Donato Enoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (62)special occasion (56)great for outdoor dining (49)notable wine list (46)great for lunch (41)good for groups (41)romantic (40)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (15)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (3)Show More
- Lovely Italian RestaurantKleemanimalDined on 9/10/2014We had a small group in for dinner. The food was excellent. We had a nice cove to conduct business in a very comfortable environment. The wine list is broad; ranging from inexpensive to very expensive.Special Features:
- NOT YOUR TYPICAL PASTA JOINTEYEWANTMOREDined on 9/7/2014Menu and specials show wonderful creativity while being true to Italian ingredients. The special sounded so good all three of us ordered it, and were grateful we did - handmade paparadelle with a pesto/italian parsley/butter/olive oil (quality)/butter sauce, and chantrelle mushrooms. We each ordered separate appetizers, and all three - two salads and a wild boar bruschetta were outstanding. We really enjoyed our server, whose recommendations were spot-on: Pooja was her name, and she was delightful.Special Features:
- Perfect birthday celebrationMarthajaneDined on 8/31/2014Six of us celebrated my daughter's 25th at dinner on a quiet Sunday evening. The decor, food and our waiter were all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a valuable Italian in the ValleyMarcoDined on 8/27/2014I had business lunch there and I enjoyed sitting outdoor under the sun. menu list not too long (that's good) but food not outstanding as the place inspires. service just fair, likely because we are a bit late on weekday's lunch time. in a nutshell a place to try again, dinner time and having a more complete meal with wine.Special Features:
- A gem on the penninsulaDonatosDined on 8/23/2014We usually go to San Francisco for our date night but on the way to the musical, Dream Girls, in Redwood City we decided to eat at Donato Enoteca. What a treat! The very polished waiter offered us his recommendations of the best dishes and wine as we sat outside under perfect weather conditions. They offer everyone an olive tapenade with garlic that is amazing with their fresh bread to start off. They have a full bar with many specialty drinks including a barrel-aged Manhattan that was the best I have ever had. The warm calamari salad was amazing as was the ox tail pasta dish, all complemented by a bold Barolo wine. This restaurant is a very good one that competes well with Italian restaurants in San Francisco. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Mostly GooddeetravelDined on 8/22/2014We visited this restaurant after flying into town for a weekend trip. Donatos was kind enough to adjust our reservation at the last minute due to changes with our flight. We were seated promptly. The restaurant was very busy as it was a Friday night. We thought our server was ok, but could have been better. I think he had too many tables to cover. My pasta dish was quite good, but my husband's chicken was overcooked, with a few black spots on the skin from burning too long in broiler. We did enjoy a delicious dessert and coffee. Overall experience could have been a bit better, so perhaps we will try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing EveninggonzoDined on 8/16/2014I've eaten at Donato Enoteca 8 - 10 times before my most recent visit. Every time was wonderful: the food, ambiance, and especially the service. Last Saturday evening the food and ambiance were still great but the service was terrible, prompting several in my party to begin discussing where we should go to get something to eat when we walked out. Everyone at the restaurant apologized but things did not get significantly better: the drinks we ordered were slow in arriving, and our main course order was not delivered correctly (and one person's order was wrong). Management did substitute a superior wine for the one we ordered but too little too late. I'll go back but only once if the next experience is anything like this last one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!DeltaTDined on 8/15/2014I recommend the Prosciutto as an appetizer and Pork Belly Risotto for the main course!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ignored.MandKDined on 8/12/2014When reserving a table on Open Table, one of the key features is the ability to leave special directions or comments in the reservation form. Since it was our 35th anniversary dinner, I did just this when reserving (we tried to choose a restaurant carefully, noting the romantic ambience comments from others). However, not one person acknowledged this, nor did they ask if we were celebrating anything that evening...from the hostess, to our server, to the manager, who made his perfunctory, impersonal rounds. It was pretty disappointing. Food was pretty good, appetizers delicious and my salmon cooked beautifully. Noise level was high. Service was okay-no smiles or extra care..just okay. Next anniversary dining dollars will be spent elsewhere.Special Features:
- First Visit a HitKK114Dined on 8/12/2014It was our first visit and the restaurant was recommended by a friend. We sat at the food bar and Mari was great to chat with. She also answered all our questions about the menu choices. The food was excellent. I hope we didn't distract her too much.Special Features:
- FabulousGolfinflyfisherVIPDined on 8/9/2014Donato does such a great job.... does not complicate things too much by keeping minimal number of choices within each category. I had the Prix Fixe Menu, an eggplant "salad" that was perfectly balanced - followed by Salmon and an awesome dessert of sliced green apples with gelato. The atmosphere is typical Italian bistro..... great service, and good value for what you get. Be sure to say hello to Donato while you are there. A big man with a big heart and a big desire to produce great food.Special Features:
- The BestJohnVIPDined on 8/3/2014In my opinion the restaurant rates on a scale of 1-10 - ten.Special Features:
- Donato EnotecaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Overpriced and not a good value for the prices. My son ordered a gin and tonic - we paid $9 for the gin and $2 for the tonic. Really? We will not return. Food was mediocre.
- Enoteca means WinebarMiltonBulldog14Dined on 7/30/2014I recommend the Buffalo/Bison appetizer. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/30/2014I have been to Donato several times in the past year and had a good meal every time. Very solid Italian food, no frills and reasonable prices. Nice deco and ambiance, quiet, and convenient (next to the movie theater). Best Italian in Redwood City/Menlo Park/Palo Alto (yes we have been to practically all of the Italian restaurants). We have travelled in Italy extensively and this one is the real deal!
- Great Prix FixeDinerRCDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten at Donatos several times and enjoy their prix fixe menu because of the value and delicious use of uncommon ingredients. Every morsel is something to savor. The wine list of extensive and their well drinks in the bar are perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for business dining.marleyVIPDined on 7/23/2014I've had a couple business dinners here when in town. Service is always great, food is excellent, and the wine selection is nice. I will readily return. Bonus... between my first and second visit, the waiter remembered me and my colleague from our first visitSpecial Features:
- Get together dinnerFelyDined on 7/18/2014The food was very good but the service is poor. We have to wait for a long time for everything we requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodRgp007Dined on 7/13/2014Found out about this when searching for Italian food in Pali alto. Several reviewers commented about this restaurant and agree it is a very good itslian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our take on DonatoDougBDined on 7/11/2014The wine list is exclusively unknown, low volume Italian wines which make it difficult for an American wine lover to work with. The waiters are helpful with suggestions. Pasta and fish is usually great here. Stay away from the pizza. They are consistently served with soggy crusts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A marvelous lunchLive2eatVIPDined on 7/5/2014Lunch was perfect. Excellent food, outstanding service from Paul . A perfect afternoon spent with my Mom and husband.Special Features:
- Opera night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We were going to our first opera so needed to have an early dinner ( a very rare event for us). Dinner at 4:30 service was outstanding (we were the only ones there). The food was wonderful. I hope we can have the same level of service and food quality at a more civilized dinner hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Excellent as always. This has become one of our favorite Italian restaurants.
- not the fancy place you'd hope forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014I wanted to take my wife on a nice date. I looked at Yelp to find the nicest restaurant (by price) in downtown Redwood City, since we were going to see a performance at the Fox afterwards. I was hoping for something romantic -- perhaps with candles and a pristine tablecloth. We dressed up. The ambiance, in contrast with my hopes, was a bit cramped, and there was a moderate amount of conversational noise. Some other patrons were wearing tee shirts or tennis shoes, which cheapened the experience. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. The portions were on the smaller side., and were less adorned than one might find at other nice restaurants. I got the sea bass, and it was essentially a filleted fish and little else.
- Tasty food, nice spacerosskDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant has an Italian look and feel, and we're happy each time we go. For a light dinner, the two appetizers we ordered were really tasty: cod fritters with arabiata sauce, and clams and mussels with wine sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian in RWCOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/22/2014We came sunday early evening - restaurant was moderately busy. We were seated in mid section near window. The blind was lowered but dirty. My husband promptly rolled it up. Table was set but the bill was still there from the previous occupants? Waited 10 mins before our apologetic server came and took our order. Starters: caponata e bufala and bruschetta di cinghiale - both were excellent. Entrees: Spaghetti al nero di seppia e bootarga was a B - I knocked off a grade as they must have put in one real small squid for the whole pasta. Bigoli with oxtail & asparagus was OK - a bit salty. Dessert - a melted gelato when arrived. All in all - good but like the restaurant put some attention to detail in areas mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donato EnotecayvonnecapVIPDined on 6/19/2014I went her for with friend for lunch and was very pleasantly surprised. The menu has plenty of classic italian options, all with a fine food twist. I had the risotto with pork belly, and was very surprised how tender hte prok belly was, and how fluffy the risotto was. By far, one of the best lunch dishes that I have had a while. Located in downtown Redwood City, Donoto Enoteca has great food, wonderful service, and fine dining for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Always the Right ChoiceGreenSmoothieDined on 6/13/2014Absolutely love this place! The “Farm-to-table" sourced ingredients are simply delicious. The fixed price menu is never disappointing - fresh and seasonal. The wine list is extensive. Superb.Special Features:
- The BestJohnVIPDined on 6/13/2014Quite possibly the best real North Italian Restaurant in Bay Area. Nothing on menu not "great".....Simple dishes like Spaghetti Nero - outstanding with the baby squid included.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentCharlieDined on 6/11/2014I have eaten at Donato's for several years and it is one of my favorite restaurants. Almost everything I have tried has been excellent. The wine list is excellent. The desserts are fantastic.Special Features:
- DE RocksFoodcrunchVIPDined on 6/10/2014It is amazing what is happening in RWC. Fantastic development with excellent restaurants cropping up. The food at Donato Enoteca was very good--not quite as good as what I cook at home, but definitely superior to most of what I taste outside. The Highlights: lamb shank that was butttery and flakey, terrific chopped salad, fine pizza--not the best--but definitely in the hunt. The service was spotty, but the wine by the glass (valpolicella) was fabulous. The grilled asparagus was perfect. Max's meat ravioli was juicy and meaty. Desserts were an afterthout. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Sunday the 8th lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed our Sunday lunch very much. I always like to have a wine suggested for me and it has worked well. We were happy to be inside as the temperature reached 99° that day. Food and service was excellent. I am looking forward to a party of 10 scheduled for 8/8, my birthday.Special Features:
- NadineDined on 6/7/2014I grew up on Northern Italian food (my mother was born in the Dolomites) and have just returned from three months in Sicily, Magna Graecia (Puglia and Basilicata) and Sardegna. I've now been to Donatao Enoteca for lunch (inside) and dinner (outside). Both times the food, service, wine and ambiance were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the carbonara.DaFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014The carbonara is the closest that I've found to the ones I've eaten while in Rome. They don't use milk or cream, using egg to give you that creamy sauce. Only offered during lunch time, just a few ingredients and it seems simple, they excel at the preparation and execution.Special Features:
- Great service, great food.greenmrDined on 6/6/2014I took my wife here for dinner on her birthday and she loved it. We were particularly impressed with the waiters, who were friendly and recommended great wine and food.Special Features:
- food you wish you could cookjohnbizprofVIPDined on 6/5/2014I love this restaurant, especially for lunch as it gets pretty busy at night.Special Features:
- Perfection.NelliottDined on 6/1/2014My boyfriend and I tried Donato per the recommendation of a friend who is from Italy and who raved about the food. This truly was a dining experience, we absolutely loved it and will definitely return! The food was authentic and delicious, our server offered great recommendations for wine and each course. I am particular about wine but our server, Tommy, encouraged I try something different as to enhance the flavors of each dish and to broaden my taste for different grapes, I am so glad I did. I can't say enough about how incredible our dinner was, and to make the evening all the more perfect we were able to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful weather and leisurely sunset. I recommend Donato to all! Do not leave without trying the tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donato EnotecaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014We've eaten here many times so we were disappointed that our last visit was sub-par. Our waiter was friendly and informative, but took ages to take our order. Food and coffee for four arrived at different times. Our table was crowded next to a heavy curtain. I regret not asking to be reseated. I will return because this felt like a one-off. I prefer eating at the bar where we can watch the kitchen action. My favorite dish is buckwheat pasta with mushrooms. I decided to try something new this time and had pasta with artichokes and asparagus. It was tasty but needed more sauce and seasoning. The other people in my party were happy, though not ecstatic, with their meals.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The food was excellent. Good wine list, with some excellent italian wines. Great ambience. Friendly hostess and great service.Special Features:
- Nice Italianrokn1500VIPDined on 5/21/2014We had the daily special - crab cake / arugala salad and taglietelle. there was a great desert too. it was very good, although somehow the tagleielle was a little sticky. But overall it was very good. The place is pretty noisy, there were several large groups that were quite loud and it was hard to find a quiet table for two. The chairs are not very comfortable, the seats are saggy and need to be redone.
- The following 1198 reviews are from the Donato Enoteca reviews archive.