1041 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donatoenoteca.com/
- Phone: 6507011000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Donato Scotti
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
- Special Events: Please contact Krista Merlino at 650-454-5644
A word from Donato Enoteca
Set in the heart of downtown Redwood City, Donato Enoteca offers true and honest contemporary Italian cuisine from Executive Chef Donato Scotti that changes weekly determined by the freshest available seasonal produce. Homemade pastas, wood-burning oven pizzas, meat and fish courses are available, executed in an authentic yet modern way. The menu spans every region of Italy and incorporates artisanal products, such as fresh imported burrata, prosciutto, grappa and olive oil. Other in-house specialties include sausages, mostarda and lamb prosciutto. The wine list focuses on smaller-production boutique wineries from Italy, California and France.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Donato Enoteca - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
Donato Enoteca reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (47)special occasion (46)notable wine list (41)good for groups (39)great for lunch (36)romantic (29)kid-friendly (20)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lots of funmauifolksDined on 10/27/2014We chose this restaurant because it was conveniently located between where we were staying and where our niece and her fiance worked. We were NOT disappointed. Food and service was great. Not your "standard" Italian food. Waiter was helpful and fun. Willing to accommodate our requests and even to create a dessert that was not on the menu, but which my niece knew from Italy. Recommended.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2014Food was amazing, the service was fantastic. We had a great time. They really respect the customer. Very highly well maintained management. Quite! Yes, you can have conversations.Special Features:
- Did you care we were there?DisappointedDined on 10/27/2014I recommended Donato's but I was disappointed. There were not many customers but it took for ever for our order to be taken (maybe 20 minutes) the waiter was not friendly and I have to say the calamari salad had very little calamari and Very little green. It felt like an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific sandwich!OhmaDined on 10/27/2014Flank steak on focaccia was enough for two--had our second serving mid-flight across the Pacific. Sure beat the "snacks for purchase" offered by the flight attendant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicioso!PaloAltoDinerDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful selection of traditional, Italian fare, served with a refined, updated flair. Service was friendly and helpful. It's nice to have Italian waiters in an Italian restaurant to add an air of authenticity. Squid ink pasta was authentic. Ravioli was a hit with the kids. Nice selection of Italian wines. Multiple rooms allows the ambiance to feel lively without being crowded.Special Features:
- DoublerainbowDoublerainbowVIPDined on 10/23/2014When we asked about some specific wines, the waiter said I'll bring you a taste of what he decided we would like, rather than describing the wines. The waiter pushed the calamari appetizer, which we ordered per his recommendation. It was very good, but mainly filled with beans and 5 small bites of calamari. The eggplant entree was very good. In the reservation, I mentioned we were celebrating a birthday. The lemon panna cotta was outstanding, but arrived with no candle. The waiter came over and showed us numerous photos of his cat. We were having a private conversation and not interested in the photos.
- authentic Italian foodhighstandardsDined on 10/23/2014Great menu. We had bruschetta with wild boar, which was delicious and so hard to find on the menu here in the States. The spaghetti with squid ink were very good, although perhaps a tad bit too salty. The ravioli with lamb/beef/sausage were divine. Will definitely come back. Hard to find an authentic Itsluan restaurant south of SF, and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014It was a great experience! Hidden gem in Redwood City! We started at the happy hour (everyday from 3-6pm) and the drinks we had were delicious. We then moved into the dining area for dinner, with the same waiter from happy hour. We had the same wait from happy hour, he was very kind and helpful with the menu. The food was good! We enjoyed the bass and squid ink pasta the most. It was my mom's birthday. They were very accommodating and surprised her with a birthday dessert :) The people are very welcoming and the service was on point. We will be back at Donato Enoteca!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPatPatDined on 10/14/2014When I make the reservation, I specific listed my friend's birthday. When I arrived, I mentioned to the server is my friend's birthday as well. At the end, not even one candle on our dessert. Even a small mom and pop restaurant will say something nice for the birthday person or offer a simple scope of ice cream with candle on it. Very disappointed.
- Delicious ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014This restaurant is the right place to go for a special night out. More than pasta options are offered. For an appetizer the calamari is exquisite. It is grilled and spiced in a way that had never had before. The insalata di pomodori had thinly, side sliced cucumbers and heirloom tomatoes. Wow! I had the eggplant ravioli. It was light and not too cheesy. My wife had the seafood stew and loved it. We all shared my daughter's Pizza Margherita - very good. We all ordered a dessert and shared. They were enjoyed by everyone. We would definitely come back to this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014First time there (dinner with assorted antipasti) with another couple. Food was delicious. Good for casual dining. We weren't rushed. As we are all Italian we appreciate good Italian food at an authentic Italian restaurant operated by Italians! Also noticed review in "San Francisco" magazine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experience 9/26/14BillDined on 9/26/2014I asked about the chef's signature dish and ordered it. It was an unusual pasta with oxtail and the sauce from cooking the oxtail. The waiter gave a good description and the dish answered in every respect. It was delicious. I ordered a glass of Italian Pinot Noir and was disappointed in how little one-fifth of a bottle is, which is what the wine list explicitly stated for a glass. The waiter was excellent except that he did not pick up the check folder with my credit card payment for 15-20 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a DelightjohnbizprofVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here at least a dozen times and everything has always been great!Special Features:
- mb650VIPDined on 9/21/2014Food was very good, nice atmosphere and very good waiter who went out of his way to answer all the questions we had about the food.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014Love Donato's, never disappointed. Bigoli pasta was to die for, as was the mussels and all the yummy winesSpecial Features:
- Lovely Italian RestaurantKleemanimalDined on 9/10/2014We had a small group in for dinner. The food was excellent. We had a nice cove to conduct business in a very comfortable environment. The wine list is broad; ranging from inexpensive to very expensive.Special Features:
- NOT YOUR TYPICAL PASTA JOINTEYEWANTMOREVIPDined on 9/7/2014Menu and specials show wonderful creativity while being true to Italian ingredients. The special sounded so good all three of us ordered it, and were grateful we did - handmade paparadelle with a pesto/italian parsley/butter/olive oil (quality)/butter sauce, and chantrelle mushrooms. We each ordered separate appetizers, and all three - two salads and a wild boar bruschetta were outstanding. We really enjoyed our server, whose recommendations were spot-on: Pooja was her name, and she was delightful.Special Features:
- Perfect birthday celebrationMarthajaneDined on 8/31/2014Six of us celebrated my daughter's 25th at dinner on a quiet Sunday evening. The decor, food and our waiter were all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a valuable Italian in the ValleyMarcoDined on 8/27/2014I had business lunch there and I enjoyed sitting outdoor under the sun. menu list not too long (that's good) but food not outstanding as the place inspires. service just fair, likely because we are a bit late on weekday's lunch time. in a nutshell a place to try again, dinner time and having a more complete meal with wine.Special Features:
- A gem on the penninsulaDonatosDined on 8/23/2014We usually go to San Francisco for our date night but on the way to the musical, Dream Girls, in Redwood City we decided to eat at Donato Enoteca. What a treat! The very polished waiter offered us his recommendations of the best dishes and wine as we sat outside under perfect weather conditions. They offer everyone an olive tapenade with garlic that is amazing with their fresh bread to start off. They have a full bar with many specialty drinks including a barrel-aged Manhattan that was the best I have ever had. The warm calamari salad was amazing as was the ox tail pasta dish, all complemented by a bold Barolo wine. This restaurant is a very good one that competes well with Italian restaurants in San Francisco. Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Mostly GooddeetravelDined on 8/22/2014We visited this restaurant after flying into town for a weekend trip. Donatos was kind enough to adjust our reservation at the last minute due to changes with our flight. We were seated promptly. The restaurant was very busy as it was a Friday night. We thought our server was ok, but could have been better. I think he had too many tables to cover. My pasta dish was quite good, but my husband's chicken was overcooked, with a few black spots on the skin from burning too long in broiler. We did enjoy a delicious dessert and coffee. Overall experience could have been a bit better, so perhaps we will try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutaloteatoutalotDined on 8/22/2014Great food and great service. Nice to find a place that serves pasta carbonara, too, with real bacon!Special Features:
- Disappointing EveninggonzoDined on 8/16/2014I've eaten at Donato Enoteca 8 - 10 times before my most recent visit. Every time was wonderful: the food, ambiance, and especially the service. Last Saturday evening the food and ambiance were still great but the service was terrible, prompting several in my party to begin discussing where we should go to get something to eat when we walked out. Everyone at the restaurant apologized but things did not get significantly better: the drinks we ordered were slow in arriving, and our main course order was not delivered correctly (and one person's order was wrong). Management did substitute a superior wine for the one we ordered but too little too late. I'll go back but only once if the next experience is anything like this last one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!!DeltaTDined on 8/15/2014I recommend the Prosciutto as an appetizer and Pork Belly Risotto for the main course!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ignored.MandKDined on 8/12/2014When reserving a table on Open Table, one of the key features is the ability to leave special directions or comments in the reservation form. Since it was our 35th anniversary dinner, I did just this when reserving (we tried to choose a restaurant carefully, noting the romantic ambience comments from others). However, not one person acknowledged this, nor did they ask if we were celebrating anything that evening...from the hostess, to our server, to the manager, who made his perfunctory, impersonal rounds. It was pretty disappointing. Food was pretty good, appetizers delicious and my salmon cooked beautifully. Noise level was high. Service was okay-no smiles or extra care..just okay. Next anniversary dining dollars will be spent elsewhere.Special Features:
- First Visit a HitKK114Dined on 8/12/2014It was our first visit and the restaurant was recommended by a friend. We sat at the food bar and Mari was great to chat with. She also answered all our questions about the menu choices. The food was excellent. I hope we didn't distract her too much.Special Features:
- FabulousGolfinflyfisherVIPDined on 8/9/2014Donato does such a great job.... does not complicate things too much by keeping minimal number of choices within each category. I had the Prix Fixe Menu, an eggplant "salad" that was perfectly balanced - followed by Salmon and an awesome dessert of sliced green apples with gelato. The atmosphere is typical Italian bistro..... great service, and good value for what you get. Be sure to say hello to Donato while you are there. A big man with a big heart and a big desire to produce great food.Special Features:
- The BestJohnVIPDined on 8/3/2014In my opinion the restaurant rates on a scale of 1-10 - ten.Special Features:
- Donato EnotecaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Overpriced and not a good value for the prices. My son ordered a gin and tonic - we paid $9 for the gin and $2 for the tonic. Really? We will not return. Food was mediocre.
- Enoteca means WinebarMiltonBulldog14Dined on 7/30/2014I recommend the Buffalo/Bison appetizer. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/30/2014I have been to Donato several times in the past year and had a good meal every time. Very solid Italian food, no frills and reasonable prices. Nice deco and ambiance, quiet, and convenient (next to the movie theater). Best Italian in Redwood City/Menlo Park/Palo Alto (yes we have been to practically all of the Italian restaurants). We have travelled in Italy extensively and this one is the real deal!
- Great Prix FixeDinerRCDined on 7/29/2014We have eaten at Donatos several times and enjoy their prix fixe menu because of the value and delicious use of uncommon ingredients. Every morsel is something to savor. The wine list of extensive and their well drinks in the bar are perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for business dining.marleyVIPDined on 7/23/2014I've had a couple business dinners here when in town. Service is always great, food is excellent, and the wine selection is nice. I will readily return. Bonus... between my first and second visit, the waiter remembered me and my colleague from our first visitSpecial Features:
- Get together dinnerFelyDined on 7/18/2014The food was very good but the service is poor. We have to wait for a long time for everything we requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian foodRgp007Dined on 7/13/2014Found out about this when searching for Italian food in Pali alto. Several reviewers commented about this restaurant and agree it is a very good itslian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our take on DonatoDougBDined on 7/11/2014The wine list is exclusively unknown, low volume Italian wines which make it difficult for an American wine lover to work with. The waiters are helpful with suggestions. Pasta and fish is usually great here. Stay away from the pizza. They are consistently served with soggy crusts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A marvelous lunchLive2eatVIPDined on 7/5/2014Lunch was perfect. Excellent food, outstanding service from Paul . A perfect afternoon spent with my Mom and husband.Special Features:
- The following 1218 reviews are from the Donato Enoteca reviews archive.
- Opera night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We were going to our first opera so needed to have an early dinner ( a very rare event for us). Dinner at 4:30 service was outstanding (we were the only ones there). The food was wonderful. I hope we can have the same level of service and food quality at a more civilized dinner hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Excellent as always. This has become one of our favorite Italian restaurants.
- not the fancy place you'd hope forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014I wanted to take my wife on a nice date. I looked at Yelp to find the nicest restaurant (by price) in downtown Redwood City, since we were going to see a performance at the Fox afterwards. I was hoping for something romantic -- perhaps with candles and a pristine tablecloth. We dressed up. The ambiance, in contrast with my hopes, was a bit cramped, and there was a moderate amount of conversational noise. Some other patrons were wearing tee shirts or tennis shoes, which cheapened the experience. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. The portions were on the smaller side., and were less adorned than one might find at other nice restaurants. I got the sea bass, and it was essentially a filleted fish and little else.