184 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://donatellanyc.com/
- Phone: 2124935150
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Shepard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Donatella Restaurant has an extensive catering menu. Pick from one of four pre-selected packages or create your own. Please email our Catering and Events Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: Book the chef's table by the glittering pizza oven for an intimate party of up to 15 or rent the entire bright and airy 2,000 square foot space for your next holiday party. And don’t forget about D Bar, a sleek and sophisticated cocktail lounge connected to the restaurant via a secret door.
- Private Party Contact: Daniely Oliveira 6465940497
- Special Events: Let us host your next event! Whether you're planning a kids birthday, corporate happy hour, or holiday party, we have the perfect private space and mouth-watering menu for you.
Our signature pizza-making and cupcake-decorating party is perfect for kids of all ages. You can even schedule a pizza and meatball making class for adults!
Please email our Catering and Events Manager: email@example.com to inquire.
A word from Donatella
Donatella is the flagship restaurant of celebrity chef & food network star and iron chef judge. Donatella Arpaia. Located in the heart of Chelsea, Donatella serves authentic Southern Italian cuisine with a focus on traditional Pizza Napoletana. Built from the ground up with volcanic stone imported from Mt. Vesuvius, 8th-generation builder, Stefano Ferrara was able build a pizza oven to rival those of Naples! The 5-ton wood-burning oven delivers guests an authentic taste of Pizza Napoletana with its soft center and crispy crust. There’s something for everyone at Donatella. Don't miss Donatella famous meatballs, as 2 time wine of meatball madness. Offerings include a selection of homemade pastas,eggplant parmesan , there’s even a delicious grass-fed rib eye! Compliment your meal with a selection of wines focusing on Southern Italy. Finish your meal off with a selection of imported rare cheeses from Italy and handcrafted pastries from Pastry Chef Andrea Jarosh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Donatella reviews from OpenTable diners
- Disappointing! Food was average.OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 12/21/2013Disappointing! Food was average. Service was poor. We wanted to share dishes and space out the courses and it was the opposite We were done dinner in 40 minutes! Place was dead on a Saturday night before the holidays!
- Who's in charge?MattVIPDined on 12/12/2013No greeter, so we finally flagged down a kitchen staffer to find the front of house staff, even though we came in at our reservation time (on a Thursday night!). Room temperature wine, food (including the "world-famous" meatballs) seemed reheated and overly spiced - either very salty or very fishy. Although the menu is pretty limited, the pasta seemed to be the only thing freshly cooked. Please, get better!
- Overpriced, underwhelmingjep1283Dined on 12/10/2013This place charges way too much for just "ok" food. My risotto was undercooked and the scallops on top smelled terrible. Couldn't really finish the dish.
- Great experience in NYCMoloDined on 12/6/2013We were recently on a short business trip to NYC and this was by far our favorite dining experience. Each member of our party raved about their dinner and dessert choices and how delicious everything tasted, the flavors extraordinary. The setting is cozy and warm with beautiful lighting. The service was amazing, we were treated like special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfy Warmth in ChelseacuzncjDined on 12/3/2013A golden glow, comfortable atmosphere, comfort food with an elegant twist, and an amiable wait staff, are the true highlights of this neighborhood favorite in the heart of Chelsea. Great meatballs! And we hung out with family and friends (kids included) for hours and never felt rushed out.Special Features:
- not greatdebeatDined on 11/16/2013we went with 6 people the restaurant was not full but our waiter kept tryng to rush us through the meal. my sons girlfriend ordered the parpadelle and the portion was not even big enough for a appetizer. we were having pasta and we had to ask for bread. would not recommend this place, too many other restaurants we could have gone to and not be rushed to finish, especially since there were other empty tables, I can see why!
- Enzo Yes!ahoughjr3Dined on 11/11/2013Terrific pizza, and the meatballs definitely deserved to win all of its awards. I used to live in Chelsea, and it was great to come back to Donatella and see it's still as great as I remember it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GoodlmsdVIPDined on 11/9/2013Overall the dining experience was fine, but the food was not very good. It wasn't inedible, just so so. I like all of Donatella Arpia's restaurants and this one does not even come close to comparing. I had also ordered an item that was not on the menu and the waiter said they may not have it because they did not have it yesterday. He left to ask (which is something he should have been made aware of before he started his shift) and when he returned he acted annoyed at the restaurant for not having it. Not something we as patrons should have seen. I would not return to the restaurant nor would I recommend it.Special Features:
- not impressed, donatella arpaiabrchelseaDined on 11/8/2013i wonder when donatella arpaia last checked in on the restaurant to which she's given her name. from the moment we walked in the door, we were underwhelmed by the experience. no one at the host station to greet us. when the host did finally approach us, the greeting was not exactly hospitable, nor was our table ready. apparently, reserving a table means nothing and they will seat walk-ins ahead of you. once we finally did sit, the service was very rushed. our appetizer, the beet caprese salad, was pretty bland. it was under-seasoned and the giant disk of ricotta on the plate tasted like the cheapy polly-o brand from gristedes. the atmosphere and decor were not at all special, very much any other place on 8th ave in chelsea. overall, meh.
- Food disappointing, nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2013The space itself is quite beautiful and the staff was very friendly. But the food was disappointing. We ordered a Cappellaccio pie (mushroom pizza) and the Paccheri Alla Genovese pasta. Neither one was good and the portions were very small for the price. We will not be returning. Our waiter did not ask us how it was at the end. Maybe he knows?
- Are You Kidding Me?runnerDined on 11/2/2013We made reservations at Donatella and when we got there, they told us that they didn't have pizza dough and wouldn't have any for another hour or two. This was at 6:30 on a Saturday night at a place famous for their imported brick oven pizza. Ultimate Fail. In fact, the host wasn't even apologetic. I would never recommend this place to anyone.
- Out of Chianti & Broken Pizza OvenSDRunnerDined on 11/2/2013My ordered a glass of Chianti only to find out they were out of Chianti. I don't know how an Italian restaurant runs out of Chianti, but the waiter did bring over an alternate wine to try, and that was good enough. The waiter then told us that the pizza oven was out of order and that no pizzas would be available that night. It seems careless for a restaurant known for pizza to get to Saturday dinner service and only then find out their oven is broken, but stuff happens. What really bothered me about the whole experience was that the waiter couldn't even recommend another pizza place in the area. He just put up his hands and said he wasn't from around there, and then left. Luckily, we found Patsy's on 23rd and had an excellent meal.
- Surprised…and not in a good way...scottyVIPDined on 11/1/2013Donatella is supposed to be synonymous with exceptional food and service. Neither were present on this visit. Basic Margarita pizza came out undercooked and lacking any flavor. Wait service was virtually unseen as he forgot orders and everything took forever to hit the table which makes the undercooked pizza all the more surprising. Follow up service was equally nonexistent. Only bright moment were their award winning meatballs.. The only item of the evening worthy of the Donatella name. Ownership needs to pay more attention to this or risk it's demise...
- Not better than my Nonna.NSAdocNYCVIPDined on 10/25/2013The meatballs are slated to be better than my grandmother's and they weren't. They were not seasoned at all and contained too much breadcrumbs or bread. There was no depth of flavor in them. The Enzo pizza was good.
- donatella no moredowntownerDined on 10/15/2013I have dined in other donatella's restaurant before but never a big fan of it, but decided to give this one a try because of the 1000 opentable points. It was very mediocre with over priced (for the food quality and the neighborhood that's in) and small portion. The service was ok. The day we went looked like they were short on staff. I think a person who cleans the tables and picks up dishes was also doing double duty as the "maitre d"Special Features:
- Lovely food and placeAlphafreakDined on 10/4/2013It was a love place to eat and the food was very good. However, I got a pasta and to me the size was for a child (I am a girl and weigh 50 kg). So it was not enough for me - but I just ordered a delicious dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go before a showDagmarDined on 10/2/2013Just across a street from the Joyce Theater, it is a great place to dine before a show and in the meantime watch people go by on the street. Food was lovely, so was wine and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Place!Paula85Dined on 9/23/2013Donatella had amazing food and drinks! They have a great happy hour special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brick oven pizzzaAnon818Dined on 9/22/2013Went to Donatella with a small group of friends. The food was amazing and the service was attentive and friendly. Will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to brunch with the family.BarbandbarVIPDined on 9/15/2013Went to brunch with the family. They were so accommodating as they put my bicycle in the restaurant for safe keeping and allowed us to bring our home made birthday cake to celebrate a family birthday and even lit the candles and brought plates. They made us very welcome and made it a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood ItalianKEENJVIPDined on 9/8/2013Good neighborhood Italian specializing in pizza, and known for it's meatballs, which won the Audience Choice Award at Meatball Madness 2012. The menu consists mainly of pizza, and there's a smaller selection of other small plates and entrees.Special Features:
- DownhillrevmeltDined on 9/6/2013We have been to Donatella's many times, but haven't been for a few months. It seems like things are not going well for the restaurant. They've switched to paper napkins, there are lots of lightbulbs burned out, and it's just looking shabby in that cutting corners kind of way. Our waiter ignored us, we would have ordered dessert but he didn't come back for so long we passed. The food quality has also decreased. I ordered a pizza roll, which was soggy and burned. Hope they turn it around because it was a great spot.
- First time a charm!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2013The meatballs were AMAZING! The pizzas were great and the cannoli and the chocolate torts are musts! Great place to go! Our waiter was right on the mark and guided us perfectly! Many thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food and service werequeenmitziDined on 8/31/2013the food and service were very good and very close to the Atlantic Theater on 20th between 8th and 9th ave. the appetizers were especially good...the biggest winner was the eggplant parmagianno.Special Features:
- Amazing Pizzas and desertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2013A great place to sit and watch the streets and traffic go by. The pizzas are amazing and the deserts are exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Pizza well aboveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2013Good food. Pizza well above average. Interesting drink menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous!Stevek45VIPDined on 8/24/2013The pizza and meatballs were so good, we were planning our return visit before the meal was over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't take the last reservationJackDined on 8/14/2013don't take the last reservation spot! everything was in a hurry (cleaning the room while you eat, forgetting desserts and coffee, no wine was offered, ...)... bad impression even if the food was amazingSpecial Features:
- Pre-Pilobus PerfectionLonsueDined on 8/2/2013Just right when going to the Joyce. Portions are ample for sharing. Tasty pizza and salad. Very friendly and attentive service. Enjoyed very much and will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2013Upon entering, we were greeted in a warm, friendly manner. We were seated before our reservation time. The waitstaff was kind, accommodating and overall, great! Menu varied-something for everyone. Food fresh, delicious, and reasonably priced. It was a good experience and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Host poorly dressed, no acOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2013First impression of a restaurant is determined by the host or hostess. The host was dressed in a golf shirt and khakis--very unprofessional. The temperature was uncomfortably warm, to the point where we almost left. We were moved to a table farther back and it was slightly cool, but we were all still uncomfortable. Donatella's has been a favorite spot for our group, and this is the first negative experience we've had there. Maybe they're trying to save on electricity by keeping the AC low. The food was probably fine, but we were so hot and sweaty and uncomfortable, we couldn't enjoy any of it. We bought a bottle of rose, and it was not cold. We will likely not go back for the rest of the summer. and maybe give it another try in the fall.
- Delicious PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/2/2013Prosciutto Rotolino... that is all... order 2 :) The best thing on the menu... I also like the Diavola and Polpette. My favorite trio. These dishes are so easy to share so come in a group and order a few.Special Features:
- Service?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/23/2013We have been going to Donatella since it opened- for brunch, lunch and dinner. On this last visit, the food was as tasty as usual but it seemed like the service was sketchy. We waited for a long time for everything when the restaurant was far from busy. Our friend ordered eggs and asked for bread and after a very long wait someone brought more focaccia but it was strange.Special Features:
- Great pizza and more...hol2d2VIPDined on 6/22/2013We really enjoyed Donatella's. I've been on a big pizza kick lately and this fit the bill. We went for a Saturday date night and it was the perfect mix of great food and atmosphere. We ordered a few appetizers, the garlic bread, and the mushroom pizza - all of which were really good. I'd definitely go back for dinner or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!!!StinkyJDined on 6/18/2013Awesome experience, loved the décor and ambience. The service was great and the food was even better. If it's your first time, you absolutely must have the meatballs, #meatballstodieforSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unacceptable service, mediocre foodBdinerDined on 6/15/2013We were greeted by the server, who was not very polite. After ordering our drinks, we waited for about 15 minutes before our server took our order. We asked if we could have capellini instead of spaghetti. Originally she said no. I asked her to ask and she asked another server who said she could. We had to ask for appetizer share plates. I also had to ask for another glass of wine and more water on several occasions. The food was okay. When we received our bill for a party of three, the server had added gratuity to the bill. I asked the host if this was customary. She blamed the computer and asked the manager to remove the tip. It is not acceptable for a server to put a tip on a check for three people (especially when she was not good.)
- Mediocre... expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/14/2013I knew Donatella wasn't super gourmet, but I was pretty dissapointed in my meal there on a Friday night. The restaurant itself has a nice feel, but a lot of the details were off - silverware felt cheap, and it wasn't consistent. Also, the menu had changed, but the menu we were given was not updated. When I went to order my dish I was then told of the new preparation. Our waitress was very helpful though as she then asked the kitchen if they coule prepare it as written - which they did so that was very accomodating. My ($13) Caesar salad was average at best - I don't mind spending that, but would think it would be better than the one I can get at the pizza place. The meatball appetizer was very good. My pasta was OK, but nothing special.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013The shredded pord pasta dish and the artichoke pizza were amazing! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try their veal meatballsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/23/2013You must try their veal meatballs and the pizza is very good !Special Features:
- Surprise findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2013Surprise find of an Italian restaurant. I took area locals here for their first time and by the end of the meal they were planning their next visit. Really enjoyable food, staff and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.