5004 Telegraph Avenue
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donatomas.com/
- Phone: 510-450-0522
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schnetz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Dona Tomas is a special restaurant where you almost feel like you're at a lively villa in Mexico enjoying fresh squeezed lime margaritas in the courtyard patio or dining on the authentic regional Mexican cuisine in the main room or the crimson red bar room.
With our seasonally changing menu and our love and respect for Mexican food and culture, we strive to present a culinary experience highlighting our favorite dishes from Mexico. These are often hard to find in American restaurants and it is our goal to update these classics with the bounty of what is available in the Bay Area, serving them in a fun atmosphere where the energy is always exciting.
We use organic, local produce when available, sustainably raised beef, pork and chicken, authentic items like hard to find dried chiles, huitlacoche, verdalogas and much more. We pride ourselves on serving unusual and long forgotten dishes that we have tasted and recreated from our many journeys to Mexico.
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- a little disappointingdantwDined on 8/21/2014I'd heard awesome things about Dona Tomas, but my experience was kind of meh. The jalapeno margarita was just weird. The guacamole was excellent, but the chips were so hard I thought I might break a tooth. My carnitas was dry and surprisingly bland. All in all, a mediocre food experience.Special Features:
- happinesshappinessDined on 8/20/2014absolutely delicious food. drinks are unique and yummy. Staff and patron culture is natural happiness.Special Features:
- Ok but not what we expectedOaktownGuyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Overall a bit disappointed. Food was good but not particularly interesting or different. Service started attentive and quickly moved to absent. Drinks served with not before dinner, server MIA even after asking for attention. Too bad, I've looked forward to eating here.
- Simply delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014My wife loves this place but we rarely get over to Doña Tomas. The drinks are great, the service is fast and adaptable and everyone seems to be having a good time. What more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot!MillyDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful for brunch and dinner. Great food, interesting cocktails and beautiful art on the walls. The only thing that we did not enjoy was the chimichangas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodBebopDined on 8/7/2014Better than the usual Mexican fare. Good portion sizes and variety of menu choices. A great margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014I took my sister here from out of town who loves Mexican food and she was found the food amazing from start to finish. We over ordered so we could taste different foods and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Service was spottyOkraDined on 7/31/2014Took a long time to get tortillas? Why? I have no idea. Seems easy but no reason was given. My coffee was served 10 minutes after everyone else's. Why? I have no idea. I had to jump up to ask my waitress, who seemed to visit every table except ours to stroll by. Is there a manager? An expediter? Oh well, a complaint will do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuppie Mexican FoodmeatbirdDined on 7/29/2014A "yuppie" Mexican restaurant with high quality ingredients. Creative sides (yellow summer squash) but nothing that really "pops," especially given menu pricing. $18 for chicken mole enchiladas with no particular zing, zest or heat...? Portion are also relatively small. Might be a great "chick spot" with light entrees but my guy would need more substantial food. Even with happy hour margaritas (at $7 each), you're looking at $25-40 for a light meal. I can do better and find easier parking.Special Features:
- Great for dinner. Mediocre brunch.BlinkflopsDined on 7/27/2014I've been here for dinner many times and had an amazing, romantic experience - food, service, cocktails were all fantastic. I've been here with my friends and their twin boys for dinner as well and had a great experience. I went to brunch with the same friends with twins and everything fell flat - the food wasn't nearly as good as dinner, our service was slow, as parties seated after us were attended to and served before us, out seating request was honored - it was all sub-par when compared to the amazing dinner service. I will be back for dinner without a doubt, but I will pass on brunch go forward.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic service! Best margaritas ever. Carnitas was crispy and moist. Food was excellent. Very disappointed, though, that corn pudding was not on the menu in the middle of summer! It's their signature dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- malvinDined on 7/25/2014Great food as usual but on a hot night (record temps in the city!), it was steamy inside. Nevertheless, the guac here is still my favorite ever.Special Features:
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Great Mexican food with an updated twist. The chips and salsa are excellent. Enchiladas and carnitas are fab...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and overpricedJbsfVIPDined on 7/24/2014This place came highly recommended and it has a nice patio. The food was incredibly overpriced for the most flavorless enchilada mole. The chicken had no flavor and the mole tasted like paste. My friend had the ssme to say about the tostada. We were sat in a forgotten corner. Had to ask the hostess twice to get a waiter. He took order, never came back til we had to get up to ask for check.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerGembutterflyDined on 7/15/2014We couldn't decide between the great entree choices so we shared and it was definitely the way to go. Great service and the food came quickly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014We are outside and loved everything we ordered. We will definitely be back frequently.Special Features:
- Tasty and kinda guilt-freeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food is great. Healthy enough options. Everything I've had there has been very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once again a delight...zenveloVIPDined on 6/28/2014On a warm summer evening, we sat in the open doorway to the back building, shaded yet in the air and perfumed by the wafting flowers. And of course the food was superb, as usual. My date had Sopa and ceviche while I had halibut; all of the dishes were so skillfully matched, with unanticipated accents and wonderful flavor notes.Special Features:
- Repeat customersNanaDined on 6/26/2014This is the go-to restaurant when we have guests to entertain. We are certain that the food and service will be great. We like that the menu evolves, we are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Dona TomasPressDined on 6/26/2014We are usually so happy to eat here. Loved the food, ambience, service. At our last visit, we were all disappointed. The pork was dry and overcooked and the enchiladas bland. The sopa heavy and uninspired. Hoping this was just a bad night because we are usually so happy to come here. I love eating our doors in their great out door dining area and love their margeritas.Special Features:
- Carnitassssnom4lifeDined on 6/24/2014My second visit to Dona Tomas! The first time I went with a good friend for dinner--I ordered the Carnitas and she ordered the swordfish. Both were delicious! The restaurant has a cute casual but kind of romantic feel at night. Second time was with my Dad for a birthday early dinner. We sat outside among cute tables decorated with very colorful table clothes. I just had to order the Carnitas again (yum) and my Dad got the steak (Carne Asada?). Both were good! We also got some guac--the chips are thicker, kind of like pita chips. I like them, but my Dad prefers thin chips. I'd recommend this place for a casual date/meetup with friends! Their drinks look yummy too--will try next time.Special Features:
- Usually GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014On this most recent visit, the service was not very good—more an outlier than on other visits. The food was good, which is more typical of this mostly excellent place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discriminating Dinerdiner1VIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first experience at Dona Tomas was a smashing success. We had an Enchilada plate and Carnitas plate both of which were excellent. Service was spot on in spite of the place humming with people and energy. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014I love Dona Tomas and I have been coming here for years, but the service seems to have deteriorated to a ridiculous point. I brought a party of 5 here for a birthday celebration before going to a concert, and the restaurant managed to almost completely ruin our evening. Orders were delayed, mistaken things appeared on the table, and they couldn't deal with a bill paid by credit card plus cash. We were late to our venue and had difficulty with our seating as a result. I am embarrassed to have brought my friends here.Special Features:
- RRedfieldDined on 6/20/2014Dona Tomas does not disappoint! Great food, great cocktails, great service!Special Features:
- Perfect brunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Went with my husband and daughter for father's day. Great food! My 18 month daughter is a very picky eater. She loved everything and drank the fresh squeezed orange juice! Win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Nothing special. The neighborhood is crowded but the patio dining was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor diningUCity63Dined on 6/13/2014It is very pleasant to dine out on the patio on warm summer evenings. The carnitas were delicious as usual, and the margaritas are top notch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014I've been to Dona Tomas 4 or 5 times and have always enjoyed the experience. This last time was special because a friend of mine was here from Perth, Australia and had a hankering for Hispanic food (not available in Perth). It wasn't nearly as crowded as before. We sat on the patio and really enjoyed our meal...food was great. The help staff was very friendly and attentive. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartypOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014We are fans of Dona Tomas. The four of us in our party were very happy with our meals except the two who got the carnita. They were not only crisp on the outside which is good but way to dry on the inside. The greasy spoon on e14th and 17th ave is where you go for carnita in Oakland, Dona Tomas missed the boart on this. My carne asada was very well done with it's chim churri sauce. My brother had the chicken enchiladas in mole which I have had and as usual were wonderful. The deserts were all top flight, as were the drinks. OUr waiter was slow that night,but we have had him before and he is fast I think they had him running between inside and the patio where we usually are. We will go back again because of the things they do well there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican food the way it should be.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014I have eaten Mexican food in literally hundreds of restaurants across North and Central America and this one is a standout. Chili rellenos roasted rather than battered and fried, as good as any I've had in homes and restaurants in Mexico. Moles as rich as those in Pueblo. Best black beans I've had north of Chiapas. Homemade tortillas, masa cakes and real margaritas. And indoor and outdoor spaces are pleasant. What's not to like? Try it if you haven't already!Special Features:
- Graduation BrunchProudmomDined on 6/8/2014We love Dona Tomas, and decided it would be the perfect place to celebrate our daughter's graduation from high school. We were not disappointed. We ate outside -- it was a gorgeous afternoon -- the food, as always was delicious and plentiful and the service was excellent. Our out-of-town family members loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingBobbleheadDined on 6/7/2014This is one of my favourite restaurants in the East Bay. The food and service is always outstanding. We had the Carnitas, Carne Asada, Ceviche de Atun and the Enchiladas en Mole Ranchero. All were delicious. The service was exemplary. Wine list could do with some work, however, although they do offer bring-your-own.Special Features:
- DisappointedlovemexicanDined on 6/6/2014Dona Tomas has always been a solid choice for us but the last few times we've been their, our meal has be just so-so. The margaritas are always great as are the chips that arrive immediately after you sit down, but the food is just kind of tired. Nothing is inventive anymore, and food arrived tepid and just uninteresting. Dona Tomas will need to step it up a notch to compete with all the great new offerings. We probably won't go back.Special Features:
- loveOaklandVIPDined on 5/31/2014What is listed as "energetic" noise level is a positive take on way too loud because there is no effort to include sound absorbing material in the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Dona TomasMalaga6Dined on 5/29/2014High quality, delicious Mexican food - portions were a little on the small side - great service - initially it was easy to talk with my dining companions, but as the restaurant got busy, it was very noisy and impossible to hear each other so we left without having dessert and a coffee. Will definitely go back but earlier in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed AgainalamoVIPDined on 5/24/2014I really don't get this place. I was here once before and had a mediocre meal (actually for the price, it was poor). Everyone told me it as a fluke and suggested I needed to go back. Fair enough! So I went back and it was just as bad. Sorry, I don't get the hype.
- GreetingsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014When we arrived to a rather chilly greeting I told her we had a reservation and she immediately placed us at a table right by the door, I asked for another table and she picked out one even worse . So I again said no a nd she took us to another room to a table very close to the very loud bar and I gave up and that's were we sat.
- Good, but not greatIsraelVIPDined on 5/23/2014I had high hopes for Dona Tomas, but it didn't quite deliver. The quesadillas were OK but a little bland. They were missing a kick. The carnitas were good, but a little dry. Having grown up in Mexico I know how moist carnitas are meant to be, and this wasn't it. Tortillas were very good though - we had more than one basket!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2014Hadn't been here for a few years and the food wasn't as good as I remember. The margarita reyna was tasty but weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.