5004 Telegraph Avenue
Oakland, CA 94609Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.donatomas.com/
- Phone: 510-450-0522
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schnetz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
Dona Tomas is a special restaurant where you almost feel like you're at a lively villa in Mexico enjoying fresh squeezed lime margaritas in the courtyard patio or dining on the authentic regional Mexican cuisine in the main room or the crimson red bar room.
With our seasonally changing menu and our love and respect for Mexican food and culture, we strive to present a culinary experience highlighting our favorite dishes from Mexico. These are often hard to find in American restaurants and it is our goal to update these classics with the bounty of what is available in the Bay Area, serving them in a fun atmosphere where the energy is always exciting.
We use organic, local produce when available, sustainably raised beef, pork and chicken, authentic items like hard to find dried chiles, huitlacoche, verdalogas and much more. We pride ourselves on serving unusual and long forgotten dishes that we have tasted and recreated from our many journeys to Mexico.
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
- Food disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014For Mexican food the dishes were particularly bland. That was the ceviche, the carne asada, and the chilles rellenos. My wife thought the mashed potatoes were poor. Cesar salad was good and the flan excellent. Finished well.Special Features:
- WaitPerson Where Art Thou?LUNGONOTVIPDined on 10/19/2014Went with friends for a birthday brunch- WORST table service I have had in a while. I should have been on notice, after waiting about 7 mins. at the "please wait here" stand at the front door to check our group of six in for Sunday Brunch. Waiting. Waiting. Finally, I did a 'walkabout' in the restaurant, trying to find someone. Finally did, we were seated. Later, the waitperson gave us our menus then went AWOL for about 30 mins. Fortunately the Bloody Mary's carried us through. When our orders were taken (finally!- after practically tackling a staffer, asking to PLEASE find our waitperson), we didn't see our food for another 25+ minutes. When the food came out, 5 of 6 of us got food- the last pour soul waited 25 extra minutes.
- one of my favorite restaurantsgrandmakDined on 10/18/2014really good authentic Mexican food. staff accommodated our request for a quiet corner-there is a lot of noise most places in the restaurantSpecial Features:
- outforfoodVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food is always good here. We've been coming for years. The chili Relleno is my favorite. Always order their house margarita.Special Features:
- Good food, but seating issueReally1Dined on 10/16/2014Service and food was great, but the host tried to seat us next to a party of 6 with a high chair that was practically on top of the table we were offered. In my open table notes, I said the occasion was an anniversary, which maybe means here to give the worst table to us. We asked to sit outside instead, under the heatlamps, and they offered us blankets to go with it. We noticed the host offered the original table we were offered to 2 parties, who also refused it. Next Time I go there, I will request the front dinning room. The patio and back room was full of families, which is normally fine but not for a special occasion like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable, but something offJustSummaVIPDined on 10/16/2014I expected more from Dona Tomas. The enchiladas were amazing, but the carnitas were dry. The guac, and tostada apps were delicious, but the beans were meh. The margarita was tasty. The waitress and other servers were efficient, if not friendly; but the hostess was off-putting. She seemed annoyed at having to do her job. Overall, I'll be back, but I wish the entire experience had been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lets talk serviceHowingtonDined on 10/10/2014I have never been to a restaurant where I have felt as cared for as this. From the first step in to the last out it was clear how much they cared. We picked this place because we knew the food was amazing, we will always return because we can say the same about the service.Special Features:
- Above and BeyondOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Everyone at Restaurante Dona Tomas went out of their way to make our dinner exceptional. Even though we were a large party (20 people), they accommodated us together on their beautiful patio as a single party. We had let them know we were getting married that evening and they PRINTED MENUS WITH OUR NAMES ON THEM and had them on the table for our guests. Whoa. The food was outstanding, the drinks were perfect, and the service was in excess of five stars. Could not recommend more, though I wish I could.Special Features:
- Excellent service adds so muchUCity63Dined on 10/10/2014The excellent service provided by our server made this dinner a most pleasant experience for us. She recognized us and knew that we liked a more quiet place to eat and so warned us that an engagement dinner would be close to our table in the back room, so we were able to choose a much quieter place on the patio that still provided enough warmth between two heaters. The Margarita was delicious, as was the arugula salad and the carnitas. They cooked the fish to order, in olive oil and not butter, and provided the substitute greens instead of the rice. Overall, a very warm experience!Special Features:
- Less than inspiring brunch farelunagoesglobalVIPDined on 10/4/2014It was easy to get the feeling that someone told the owners that brunch in the Bay Area on weekends is a lucrative enterprise and they'd be foolish not to pursue adding this meal on. Certainly, the patio was lovely on a warm and gorgeous day and you could sit there for eons on a lazy weekend, pet your dog and sip a mimosa. The food was highly mediocre. Huevos Rojos was simply scrambled eggs perched on top of soggy tortilla chips soaked in a a cheesy red sauce. It was like bad dorm food. I asked if there was fruit. The waitress shook her head- none to be had. I will not be rushing back here. And I used to like coming to DT for dinner. This recent meal put me off them unfortunately.Special Features:
- WonderfulSeasonedmanDined on 10/1/2014I very much enjoyed my steak meal. It was recommended by the waitress. The margritia was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/30/2014Chose this restaurant for a special occasion and am sad to report that we were disappointed. We were seated in an odd spot (and should've requested to be moved since the restaurant wasn't busy). The dishes were just ok. It seemed that very little thought was given to the actual presentation of the items. Flavors were fine - just nothing special. There was no mention of the occasion - even tho we noted it in the reservation. I know there is no obligation on the restaurant's part - but we've been pleasantly surprised elsewhere at thoughtful touches (a handwritten note, complimentary item or just a verbal congratulations). The service was a bit too efficient - twice a server tried to take food that we weren't finished with.
- Unique Mexican RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014I've been to Dona Tomas a few times now and it never fails to please. It' s always a pleasurable experience with great, friendly staff and delicious food. This last visit was for a friend's birthday and they actually had individualized menu's waiting for us stating "Happy Birthday" at the top with my friends name printed. Food as always was fantastic - I had the shrimp tacos this time which came with a corn zucchini pudding on the side - very different and was absolutely delicious. I typically have the carnitas, which is so awesome; I wanted to try something different. One of my friends did have the carnitas dish and fell in love with it. Dessert is also a treat here as well as the cocktails. Try this place if you haven't already!Special Features:
- great carnitasperfectmealsDined on 9/25/2014it was so noisy we had to yell to talk across the table, but the food was worth it!Special Features:
- Best Mexican in Bay AreaPatspawsVIPDined on 9/18/2014If you're looking for something beyond the usual Americanized Mexican fare laden with cheese or unremarkable sauce, this is the place. Everything tastes fresh and the subtle complexity of top-notch ingredients shine. My most recent visit was with a serious foodie friend from Chicago who worships at the alter of Rick Bayless...he was justifiably impressed. Chile rellenos, guacamole, and margaritas are my favorite, but it's hard to imagine a bad meal here. If the weather' since, ask to be seated on the back patio. And, the wait staff is friendly/professional and really knows the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A return to my old neighborhoodLillieDined on 9/13/2014We arrived 1/2 an hour early and fully expected to be seated at the bar while we waited for our 3rd guest. We were delighted to be seated out in the back room of the patio. All the staff were delightful and there was no pressure about ordering immediately. Cocktails were delicious and creative and the Albondigas app was truly tasty. Main courses were; Carnitas, Camarones tacos and sole w/ avocado sauce. The only disappointment was that the avocado sauce overpowered the delicate sole. None the less, would go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Upscale Mexican. Always satisfying meal. Lovely patio. Friendly servers. Great margaritas.Special Features:
- Foo-foo black beansBerkeleyfoodieDined on 9/10/2014My husband (a lover of Mexican food) had wanted to try Dona Tomas for awhile. It was disappointing. The menu was limited, the music was loud and annoying. The food was ok but not close to being worth the price. (We could have had dinner at a good French Bistro for less.) I had the Caserola which was very nice, my husband had enchiladas with mole which was just okay. For the price, I think one should also expect a very pleasant atmosphere. The décor is Spartan, non-existent really. Service was friendly, but we waited a long time for the main course. Nice sunset, though.
- Great foodCaptainVIPDined on 9/6/2014Dona Tomas remains consistently excellent. My wife always orders the pulled pork and I have to confess, it is fabulous - very different from most restaurants that serve it. Dona Tomas' is sort of a dry rub that gets really crispy and tastes great. Love all their dishes and the chocolate pie was perfect for dessert.Special Features:
- Onion skin ?PockyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a delicious dinner there but my friend ate pieces of onion skin that she said tasted like plastic instead. We felt and looked at it and it was very hard like she said. We informed the waitress and checked with the kitchen staff. They confirmed that it was onion skin, albeit a thick and hard one.The waitress took that entre off our bill ... That was very thoughtful of her. Food was excellent; especially the petrale and the enchiladas with mole .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a delightFoodie13Dined on 8/28/2014Staff was friendly and helpful. Food, in particular, the carnitas and enchiladas, was excellent. Sangria was perfect. Everything was tasty and well composed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointingdantwDined on 8/21/2014I'd heard awesome things about Dona Tomas, but my experience was kind of meh. The jalapeno margarita was just weird. The guacamole was excellent, but the chips were so hard I thought I might break a tooth. My carnitas was dry and surprisingly bland. All in all, a mediocre food experience.Special Features:
- happinesshappinessDined on 8/20/2014absolutely delicious food. drinks are unique and yummy. Staff and patron culture is natural happiness.Special Features:
- Ok but not what we expectedOaktownGuyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Overall a bit disappointed. Food was good but not particularly interesting or different. Service started attentive and quickly moved to absent. Drinks served with not before dinner, server MIA even after asking for attention. Too bad, I've looked forward to eating here.
- Simply delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014My wife loves this place but we rarely get over to Doña Tomas. The drinks are great, the service is fast and adaptable and everyone seems to be having a good time. What more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Spot!MillyDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful for brunch and dinner. Great food, interesting cocktails and beautiful art on the walls. The only thing that we did not enjoy was the chimichangas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodBebopDined on 8/7/2014Better than the usual Mexican fare. Good portion sizes and variety of menu choices. A great margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014I took my sister here from out of town who loves Mexican food and she was found the food amazing from start to finish. We over ordered so we could taste different foods and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Service was spottyOkraDined on 7/31/2014Took a long time to get tortillas? Why? I have no idea. Seems easy but no reason was given. My coffee was served 10 minutes after everyone else's. Why? I have no idea. I had to jump up to ask my waitress, who seemed to visit every table except ours to stroll by. Is there a manager? An expediter? Oh well, a complaint will do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yuppie Mexican FoodmeatbirdDined on 7/29/2014A "yuppie" Mexican restaurant with high quality ingredients. Creative sides (yellow summer squash) but nothing that really "pops," especially given menu pricing. $18 for chicken mole enchiladas with no particular zing, zest or heat...? Portion are also relatively small. Might be a great "chick spot" with light entrees but my guy would need more substantial food. Even with happy hour margaritas (at $7 each), you're looking at $25-40 for a light meal. I can do better and find easier parking.Special Features:
- Great for dinner. Mediocre brunch.BlinkflopsDined on 7/27/2014I've been here for dinner many times and had an amazing, romantic experience - food, service, cocktails were all fantastic. I've been here with my friends and their twin boys for dinner as well and had a great experience. I went to brunch with the same friends with twins and everything fell flat - the food wasn't nearly as good as dinner, our service was slow, as parties seated after us were attended to and served before us, out seating request was honored - it was all sub-par when compared to the amazing dinner service. I will be back for dinner without a doubt, but I will pass on brunch go forward.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 7/25/2014Fantastic service! Best margaritas ever. Carnitas was crispy and moist. Food was excellent. Very disappointed, though, that corn pudding was not on the menu in the middle of summer! It's their signature dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- malvinDined on 7/25/2014Great food as usual but on a hot night (record temps in the city!), it was steamy inside. Nevertheless, the guac here is still my favorite ever.Special Features:
- yumDCgirlDined on 7/25/2014Great Mexican food with an updated twist. The chips and salsa are excellent. Enchiladas and carnitas are fab...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre and overpricedJbsfVIPDined on 7/24/2014This place came highly recommended and it has a nice patio. The food was incredibly overpriced for the most flavorless enchilada mole. The chicken had no flavor and the mole tasted like paste. My friend had the ssme to say about the tostada. We were sat in a forgotten corner. Had to ask the hostess twice to get a waiter. He took order, never came back til we had to get up to ask for check.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerGembutterflyDined on 7/15/2014We couldn't decide between the great entree choices so we shared and it was definitely the way to go. Great service and the food came quickly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014We are outside and loved everything we ordered. We will definitely be back frequently.Special Features:
- Tasty and kinda guilt-freeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food is great. Healthy enough options. Everything I've had there has been very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 973 reviews are from the Dona Tomas reviews archive.
- once again a delight...zenveloVIPDined on 6/28/2014On a warm summer evening, we sat in the open doorway to the back building, shaded yet in the air and perfumed by the wafting flowers. And of course the food was superb, as usual. My date had Sopa and ceviche while I had halibut; all of the dishes were so skillfully matched, with unanticipated accents and wonderful flavor notes.Special Features:
- Repeat customersNanaDined on 6/26/2014This is the go-to restaurant when we have guests to entertain. We are certain that the food and service will be great. We like that the menu evolves, we are never disappointed.Special Features: