Don the Beachcomber
16278 South Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649Neighborhood:
Huntington Beach / Seal Beach / Fountain Valley
HawaiianPrice: $30 and under
Don the Beachcomber
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/
- Phone: (562) 592-1321
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00am ; TIKI Bar open late every night. Happy Hour from Sunday-Thursday from 3pm-7pm, MONDAY ALL DAY!! Friday & Saturday LATE NIGHT HAPPY HOUR 11pm-1:30am
Open for Lunch Daily 11:30am-4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Delia Snyder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: A step away from the norm. At your next gathering impress your guests with our Island Inspired Banquet Menu. We will also customize a menu to create a one of a kind event your guests will long be talking about. Tempt your guests with Sugar Cane Skewered Colossal Tiger Shrimp, Brie Cheese Quesadilla with Kalua Pork, Kalua Pork Sliders, Fresh Ahi Poke Tacos served in crispy Won Ton shell, or our Island Authentic Bruddah's Spam Roll (Hawaii is the nations largest consumer of Spam. We can arrange for off site delivery.
- Entertainment: Live contemporary and classic rock in the Tiki lounge Friday & Saturday. Call ahead for current entertainment schedule. Live Polynesian entertainment with our Sunday Luau Champagne Brunch featuring the live performance of TUPUA.
- Special Events: We would love to host your event here at Don the Beachcomber! We boast several banquet rooms with full bar and catering capabilities that can accommodate groups of up to 600 people! Please contact our event coordinator Andre Fournier at 562-320-9755.
A word from Don the Beachcomber
Enjoy fresh seafood, tender steaks, famous burgers, huge salads and over a dozen Pupu's (appetizers) with an Island Inspired Flare and an eye toward value without sacrificing quality. Quite simply put, the food is great!! Don the Beachcomber will take you back to Polynesia in a heavy Tiki themed dining room and banquet rooms complete with waterfalls reminiscent of vintage Hawaii. The bartenders at Don's Dagger Bar will craft some of the most delicious and creative (and original!) of Don's tropical cocktails! Banquet facilities and for 20 to over 200 in a fun and unique tropical setting with plenty of free parking. While the average cost of our steak and seafood offerings with a drink and tip range from $31 to $50 we also offer a selection of entree sized salads, and three burger sandwiches featuring prime beef, broiled chicken, or Kalua pork for $12 to $14 per item.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don the Beachcomber reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (9)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great AmbianceLoveSFDined on 11/6/2014We had never been here before even though we lived in the area for over 40 years. Found it via OpenTable and it was a very nice surprise. It has a Tahitian theme with lots of bamboo everywhere and an extremely cool and very large set piece containing Tiki Idols, lots of plants and waterfalls right in the main dining room. Food was good as was the service and after our meal we were drawn to the bar area where a lively guitar duo played classical music. The Martini I had was excellent (Tanqueray straight up). There was ample parking and room for large parties. A very nice theme type restaurant and bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cant go backalanDined on 11/1/2014HI. when I was young my folks would go to the beachcomber on Michigan avenue in Chicago and when I got old enough I went too and then I took my dates there too. it was across the street from the playboy club. it was a terrific place with all kinds of cantoneese foods. the décor was southsea and the drinks, a real upscale place where the meals cost about 3 dollors 50 years ago. the beachcomber in hunting beach is trying to be the old beachcomber. the décor is southsea again I have some pictures and some of the food also. the pressed duck is not how remember it but then it was 50 years ago. I would go back again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawiian delighteztuplzDined on 10/29/2014If you've ever been to Sunset Beach you may remember Sam's Seafood. You could see the Sam's lighted up fish for miles. It became Don The Beachcomber a few years back and basically has the same decor. The menu has changed and I was pleased with the selections. I picked the Rib Eye which was served with a pineapple slice on top, deep fried onion strings, garlic potatoes and interesting vegetables. I'll get again. We'll put Don The Beachcomber on our "to go to list". Our server was great and attentive. We were there early, but I believe they have entertainment later in the evening too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to drink among loud rowdy folksPatTKDined on 9/20/2014Thought we were going to nice Hawaiian themed restaurant. Hoped for Hawaiian music and Polynesian food. Food and drinks may have been fine, but the noise (music and shouting) from two rooms away was too intrusive to tell. The folks in this other room, must have been regulars. They appeared to know and get what they came for. Noise ratings should off "Very Loud". "Energetic" is not negatively descriptive.Special Features:
- Below-average & NOT Kid FriendlyUserDined on 8/31/2014This restaurant should really remove the feature: "Kid friendly" from its list. The restaurant is basically separated into 3 parts. Bar, Dining Room and Banquet Room. The Dining Room area is right next to the bar. It was LOUD and rowdy. Fit for anyone who wants to drink. The dining area seated a few families with small children, our party included. The ambiance was way too loud for the children. There is no changing area for small babies. The food that came from children's menu looked like old food that has been microwaved. It was not pleasant at all. Our food was average, nothing to really leave us wanting to come back. Although service was nice, once we got our food, we hardly saw our server. We will not want to revisit this place.Special Features:
- AliceBDined on 8/30/2014Sorry - very disappointed. Very limited menu. Not the Don the Beachcomber menu that I remember. Service was spotty. No coffee refills were offered. Bar poured a decent drink. Remember this location as Sam's Seafood many years ago.Special Features:
- Fun EveningcarollVIPDined on 8/2/2014OMGosh. A throwback to the days of the original Tiki Bar and Polynesian dining. It was a fun evening with great food and service. The coconut shrimp was yummy. Our Chilean sea bass and king crab entrees were very good too. The service was friendly, informative and helpful. My cocktail was a generous pour. The only knock we have is the wine list was slim. Next time we will know to bring our own wine and pay a corkage fee. There was also live music in the dining room through most of our meal. He was very good and it added to the ambiance of the evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island Style1AdventurousDinerDined on 8/2/2014The place is very nice with the island style decor. The food is great and so are the drinks. I was a bit disappointed because I changed the reservation to coincide with the ukulele entertainment, and found out that the area only had seating for large parties, and we were only a party of two. It was nice to hear the live music, but felt visually deprived.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014This was my first time at Don's. It was a fun place...Hawaiian-themed, and nice music. The food quality left something to be desired. I ordered the surf and turf...6oz filet and 6oz lobster tail. The filet felt like Sirloin and was dry. The lobster tail was also dry. I don't think anyone in our party was impressed by the quality of the food. Though we did enjoy the short rib appetizer. Perhaps it was just an off night at Don's?Special Features:
- The following 242 reviews are from the Don the Beachcomber reviews archive.
- EGC2005Dined on 7/22/2014I took three out-of-town friends to dinner while they were here for a conference. Don's is definitely quirky with kitschy decor and "mystery" recipe drinks, and all three of them enjoyed it! We had the special "Hawaiian chicken and waffles" and fish and chips. The chicken was a teeny bit dry and overbreaded but good flavor with the mix of items across the dish, french fries were nondescript and unimpressive. Fish was terrific and cooked perfectly. Our server was slow to get to the table and did not return once to refill drinks or check on us. Prices were fine. My guests had fun and enjoyed their visit, but it was not particularly spectacular. I'd go back for the ambiance and the uniqueness of the experience more than the food.Special Features:
- enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014very nice setting - something special. food is very good. great cocktails. bread pudding was awesome. life music Sat, Sun nightSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionluvtoeatDined on 7/17/2014Great place to have a Birthday for a friend or family member, as our family did celebrating my mom's Birthday. Great Service and atmospher.Special Features:
- Tiki TimeDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place is a throwback to the days when tiki theme restaurants were all the rage. It is very cute, tiki theme throughout. The food was good, We started with the sticky ribs which were very good. I got the panko crusted fish and chips that was tasty but nothing special. It was a fun dinner, however the service was less than great, we had to wait for everything and after the food was dropped off we never saw our server again until we were finished. But that might have just been a fluke, I'd still recommend this place for a fun night out as they had a karaoke bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HotMissy73Dined on 7/3/2014The tropical steering was nicely done but it extended to hot and humid inside as well. Honestly that is the only thing I didn't like and would go back on a cold night for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outNowKJDined on 6/21/2014Had some drinks off their menu. The Penang Anting Anting and the Navy Grog were both excellent. Had the Mahi Mahi off their weekly specials menu, it was perfect. Fast and attentive service. I love the atmosphere here. Like stepping into a tropical dream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor customer serviceSkipVIPDined on 6/20/2014We walked in and the front desk person...was going crazy! Walking around not knowing what to do first. Grab menus, seat the next party, answer the phone, or greet guest walking in. The restaurant could use a little tlc and remodel!
- Hawaii in Sunset Beach!SolojrnyDined on 6/7/2014Love the decor and ambience of this restaurant. Takes you back to Hawaii. My one complaint would be the noise level. There was music playing that was WAY TOO LOUD. Very distracting. And a large party in a nearby banquet room had their own loud music too. So both were warring with each other. Cold hardly talk to my dinner guest. Would love to hear some quiet Hawaiian music playing. That would complete the "Hawaiian" experience I was hoping for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to the BeachcomberatdapinVIPDined on 5/31/2014We went for the first time to DtB and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Ahi tacos were great and the lobster noodles were fantastic. Great service and fun atmosphere. My wife was extremely happy with the "painkiller" cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, AtmosphereEllenTHVIPDined on 5/26/2014We had the crab sandwiches, which were good, not wonderful. The sandwich included fries and delicious onion rings. The atmosphere was polynesian, somewhat dated. Here's why we were there for dinner. Tom Kubis' band was playing. They play the last Monday of each month. The band was awesome. So very happy that the Beachcomber provides a venue for the band. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TIKI HAVENbradVIPDined on 5/24/2014One of the last of the dozens of Tiki inspired restaurants left in So Cal. Great drink assortment, PU-PU's and Polynesian themed entrees. Think teriyaki rib eye, Huli Huli chicken and their own version of pressed duck. If you love everything Tiki and retro then this place is a must go. It's pretty much the same as it's been for the last 3 decades.Special Features:
- Mothers Day Added GratuityOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The staff was very nice and the restaurant looked awesome. The spread of food options was nice without having too much to choose from. Unfortunately, almost all of the food was cold in the buffet and the dessert was highly forgettable. Lastly I was caught off guard when I received my bill and there was an 18% gratuity added to it for three people at a buffet. I dont know who adds gratuity for such a small amount of people or who would add gratuity at a buffet. That has never happened to me before. Any restaurant should tell the customer up front any added gratuity in the flyer. This definitely made the experience less pleasant. Fathers day is coming up and their flyer for that does not have the gratuity either.Special Features:
- Great Family PlaceRosieDined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day. Lots of kids running around. Food was good enough. The entertainment was great. Very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food was basic. A little salty, not as many options as I was expecting for a brunch buffet, especially for the price. The Polynesian show was great! Hostesses were nice until we asked them if we could be moved from our table with the horrible view of a post and the table of 4 directly in front of us completely blocking the stage. Servers kept our drinks refilled and table clean. Oh and on a side note, I called in to ask what age qualifies for Senior pricing and I was told it was 55+, but was told 65+ when it was time to pay. Not a big deal but I do expect employees of the establishment to be educated on basic information. 3/5 Stars experience only because of the Polynesian dancing and ambiance. Would I come back again, probably not.Special Features:
- Music, food & tropical drinks3onthetownVIPDined on 5/4/2014Reggae music, Pain Killers, Zombies and Huli Huli Chicken. Love this place, the bar plays Gilligan's Island on TV.Special Features:
- Great NiteoutforaniteDined on 5/3/2014Me and my husband went there for dinner and had a wonderful time. It was loud but did not bother us at all, we could hear each other and that was fine. We both enjoyed what we ordered and service was good.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsMarzracergirlDined on 5/3/2014This is the third time I have been to Don the Beachcombers and each time I am very happy when I leave. Great food and drinks. This time we came on Saturday night and they had a musician playing the ukulele and singing to 80's hits in the bar, it was awesome! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Nice place for something different, food was acceptable, good service, drinks are specially madeSpecial Features:
- wonderful bandclausenVIPDined on 4/10/2014Delicious food, great service and The best was the band, High Times!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaiian Theme in Huntington Beachmeeting2Dined on 3/24/2014You'll notice the colorful theme as soon as you walk in. There is plenty of parking also. We had reservations on a Monday night at 5:00 and stayed for little over an hour. Maybe there were two other parties by then. I had their Orange Roughy which was very delicious. My husband had the Mahi which he said was OK. On Monday the restaurant hosts an extended happy hour from 3 to closing. One may have discounted drinks and food in the bar or order from the dinner menu as well. There is an extensive drink menu as the founder was known for all the drinks he invented. The drinks are numbered by potency. My Rum Barrel was a 4, while the Zombie was a 10. Definitely decide ahead of time who will be the designated driver or call for a taxi. Fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hawaii againmikeVIPDined on 3/23/2014its a nice place, we had great service and great food, they always try to make you feel at home, thank you for that, we will continue to go there from time to time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Exciting, Delicious, BeachyPatrickAMinneapolisVIPDined on 3/20/2014A friend recommended that we head to Don The Beachcomber for delicious food and a fun environment. We definitely were not disappointed, and will be back the next time we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of the IslandsGrandpaDined on 3/15/2014I've been wishing I could return to Hawaii...miss the warm sun, tropical breezes...and the food ! Coming to Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach took me back to those happy times. The food and the atmosphere were very Hawaiian! Thank you D the B for the awesome experience.Special Features:
- All I can say is GREAT experience!!BigHert79Dined on 2/23/2014Excellent service and a really cool atmosphere. 2 different bars for different experiences as well as a nice dining room. When we were there, it was karaoke in one bar and a great reggae band in the big bar. We had dinner in the dinning room then went between the 2 bars to check them out. OK so on to the good stuff... The FOOD!!! I have been to Hawaiian restaurants before, but the food was great in comparison! We had just about every appetizer on the menu and there was nothing that was not good. Sliders, Sticky Ribs, calamari (not rings, but calamari steak strips!), PuPus, Ahi Poke Tacos, and Co-Co-Nut Shrimp. All Excellent! Pulled Kalua Pork for dinner and it was great. So Food EXCELENT!! Rum Drink Menu was a cool experience. RECOMMENDED!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service!Datenight101Dined on 2/14/2014Had a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner, the whole evening was fabulous! This place is an institution and one of the best examples of the 40's and 50's Polynesian experience anywhere. Had a drink in about the coolest Tiki Bar I've ever experienced. Dinner was great, (Ahi Poke & Huli Huli Chicken... Wonderful!) During dinner, there were Hawaiian musicians and Hula Dancers in the dining room for the Valentine's dinner crowd. We had a fun, nostalgic South Seas dinner experience right here in Orange County, and a truly enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!genez220VIPDined on 2/7/2014Having read postings about live entertainment, I decided to give it a shot. Well, there was a homeless looking man in an ill-fitting aloha shirt carrying around a bottle of beer who sat down at his steel guitar and started playing. He played well, but a sad sight to see. There was a function going on in the bar/lounge and the DJ could be heard over this musician's music. For appetizers, the ahi poke came out first, then steamed clams a good 15 minutes later. The entrees came out 1 minute after the clams, so now our entrees would sit getting cold. Kahlua pork was dry, ribeye was rare when I ordered medium. To apologize, server offered free dessert- pineapple cake, which was dry. Never going again! No wonder they closed the other locations...
- bad managementChristmasDonTheBeachcombeDined on 12/25/2013Been here before and has good experiences. However on Christmas they were extremely understaffed which shows lack of planning and or management. Even though the staff worked very hard and did the best they could due to bad management for Christmas the service was very bad and slow. The vegetable were also under cooked; hey were raw. Again the staff did the best they could but they could not offset the bad management I will not go back next Christmas and any holiday for it is clear management cannot handle itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different Experience for ChristmasCDG925Dined on 12/25/2013Met some family members here for Christmas dinner. The service was very friendly, but a little slow. We were given the special holiday menu when we arrived, but weren't told you could also order off the regular menu. We saw others doing that and had to ask about it. The drinks were good and strong, just right for a tiki bar! The food was also very good. My companions had the mahi-mahi which came with krispy kale and raved about it. I had the surf/turf, which was also delicious. All in all a good experience. I want to visit the bar for some of their shows and more of those drinks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual Birthday @ Don's!foodsfriendjljDined on 12/21/2013My husband loves Don the Beachcomber and he has decided to make it his annual birthday dinner and he loves it! They do have great mai tai's and the food is good too! Thanks for another great night, Don's!Special Features:
- AtmosphereBlondieDined on 11/5/2013I loved the atmosphere, the music and how it was nice and relaxing. The food was good. We should of tried some of the pork or poke tacos, next time.Special Features:
- Nice quiet place. Feels likeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/29/2013Nice quiet place. Feels like you are in Hawaii. I had the Mahi Mahi and it was kinda greasy and bland. Kinda pricey for the quality. Would come back for specials or happy hour on weekends if we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.