Don the Beachcomber - Royal Kona Resort
75-5852 Ali'i Dr
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Don the Beachcomber - Royal Kona Resort
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://royalkona.com/
- Phone: 8089303286
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Th-Sa 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kenneth Omiya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wine
A word from Don the Beachcomber - Royal Kona Resort
Set right on the water"s edge with impressive ocean and sunset views from every seat, diners will enjoy the Polynesian retro-tiki chic atmosphere, flavorful award-winning cuisine and legendary original Mai Tais at the signature Don the Beachcomber Restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Don the Beachcomber - Royal Kona Resort reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Perfect for romancePadlawDined on 9/5/2014We were on the Big Island celebrating our 25th anniversary and the Beachcomber was highly recommended. The restaurant did not disappoint. It's best to get there before sunset as the view is phenomenal. In addition to the romantic atmosphere, the food was awesome. We had the humongous fungus, surf n surf, filet mignon and creme brûlée. The service was attentive but not rushed. Highly recommend the Beachcomber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant, marginal foodSushiZenVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is a beautiful restaurant. Its 60's tiki theme is classic and classy. Our table was outside facing the water and enjoying apps and rum drinks over sunset here was first rate. But the food was very marginal. Alternately overly salty or bland, overcooked. The scallops tasted a little too fishy and rubbery. We left most of the food. The restaurant seemed tired and vacant. Its now only open Thu/Fri/Sat, and thats because nobody goes. Note: parking was miserable. Lot was full and no valet. Had to scramble for a spot several blocks away. Prices were quite high given the quality of the food, but about the same as any very high end spot on the island. The restaurant needs a major reboot. Go for the drinks and apps and view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner in paradise!SZQ86Dined on 8/23/2014Don The Beachcomber's was recommended to us by a friend as a great place to have dinner and watch an amazing sunset. We were pleased to find that not only was the view spectacular but the service & food were also fantastic! The Hostess was very pleasant and our Server and all of the Wait Staff were wonderful. Our food was delicious - I highly recommend the Kahuna Don's Island Breeze Salad! I had the Catch of the Day which was Ono with asparagus & rice - for me the fish was just slightly over-cooked but I realize that I like my fish less cooked than most people and it was still delicious so this is not a complaint. The view and ambience were amazing just as our friend suggested it would be. I would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good spot for sunsetsAkivetDined on 8/15/2014My daughter wanted a birthday dinner with sunset view and this restaurant really fit the bill. Wasn't too crowded, only 'noise' was from crashing waves and the waiter was super-attentive. The drinks were great but the food just so-so. I ordered the seared ahi and it tasted fine, but was a cut of fish that had a lot of silvery connective tissue making it harder to eat and less appealing. I should have sent it back, though I figured all the filets would be of the same low quality. I suppose I could have ordered something else off the menu as it was a pricey item.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Don the Beachcomber - Royal Kona Resort reviews archive.
- Awesome viewAnneVIPDined on 4/24/2014Don the Beachcomber has the very best view of the ocean in Kailua. It is situated out on a point right by the ocean and the views are superb. The tropical cocktails are varied and unusual as well as delicious. We had excellent roast beef and ribs for dinner as well as a molten lava dessert. Very nice evening.Special Features:
- How 'bout that prime ribOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2014Outstanding! What a way to top off enjoying Henry Kopono at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunsets & mai tai's!doveDined on 4/11/2014This became our favorite place to go during our vacation. The views were spectacular, the ambiance was fantastic and the prices were very reasonable. Would highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Hawaiian CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014So pleased to return to this classic restaurant overlooking Kailua Bay. It brings back fond memories of special visits 30 plus years ago. The soaring 'tiki" architecture still has an authentic appeal. Entree portions were generous, our swordfish was delicious and the cheerful wait staff were attentive and friendly. We stayed chatting long after dinner, they made us feel so at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One if the best overlooked placesBarthmanDined on 3/13/2014An ocean front gem. Often overlooked in Kailua Kona. It should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful viewdinerDined on 2/20/2014Everything about Don the Beachcomber is 70s. The food is adequate - nothing special - and cooked well. The reason we go there is to take visitors from the mainland for a nice dinner so they can enjoy the sunset and the beautiful view and the open-air dining. It's very pleasant. That is all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad drinks, bad food, good viewLSinvestig8rDined on 1/10/2014We were extremely disappointed in our sunset meal. The tropical Drinks were harsh, the crab cakes were fishy, the Entrees were tired. The view was awesome and the Service was attentive. Not going back.
- worst meal in 20 years.BanksbizDined on 12/12/2013The food was not special. The service was HORRIBLE!! The waitress was terrible and badly needs training. No manager was available.Special Features:
- Fabulous View, So-So FoodpashberDined on 12/12/2013The view from the tables on the outer edge of the restaurant is fabulous. We had a head on view of the waves crashing against the boulders,refectory illuminated by the flaming tiki torches. We also had an interesting view of the Celebrity Century cruise ship a chord in the bay, which was visiting Kona that day. We made a reservation for 5:30, which is pretty much when you have to arrive to get the great tables (there are about 8 of them). The food varied from pretty good (a special appetizer with crabcake, ahi, ginger, shrimp) to blah (an extremely fatty, gristle-laden prime rib with no flavor). The Mai Tai was fine, but had a minty aftertaste, which I'd grade at an A-.Special Features:
- Dinner with a view but food so-soMattDined on 11/23/2013Very nice view of the Kona bay and seafront but the food was somewhat disappointing, the Hawaiian sampler was nothing special and other dishes were a little bland if not greasy. Not bad, but nothing to remember either... A much better option a little further is Fish HopperSpecial Features:
- Best Friend's BirthdayKonaBarb65Dined on 10/17/2013We had a wonderful dinner. The view was fantastic and our friend enjoyed her birthday as one of her most memorable.Special Features:
- Garlic industry share holdersgawill1234Dined on 9/26/201314 cloves (full cloves) of garlic on a mushroom appetizer. Heart burn. It's supposed to flavor the appetizer, not be the appetizer. Prime rib not the most tender. If you can't give me rare, just say so and I'll order something else. Veggies were great. For what is supposed to be one of the top 4 in the Kona area, I'd say try again. The food tastes good enough. You won't be fleeing in gastrointestinal agony. But it does not come close to expectations. On the up side, of the other 3, only one fulfilled our expectations. I don't drink, so I can not comment on wines or the bar.Special Features:
- We could not belive this place!!NewlyretiredDined on 9/14/2013I called and asked for something special for a birthday and an engagement. They went out the their way to cater to our every need. My future wife and I had a very special night with top of the line everything the sun even played along and gave us a great sun set. This place offers the most spectacular sunsets in all of Kona. Thank you to the staff, cooks and management for a wonderful time. We recommend the Don Mac and cheese with truffle oil and mushrooms and any of the fish.We went down each night to the cocktail lounge for drinks and appies. Ask what the happy hour specials are to avoid expense. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Don the BeachcombersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2013Wonderful ocean setting with comfortable seating , beautiful sunset, excellent drinks and pupus, and service was very friendly and attentive. Several of the entrees were just average ( the Thursday special prime rib) but others were excellent .Prices a little steep, but good for a special occasion. They provided a special dessert for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great Hawaii ExperienceletsgomichiganDined on 8/23/2013This was our first visit to Kona. We made reservations on Open table a few weeks prior. We arrived early just to check in just in case they were crowded. When we arrived they were not crowded, and they had our table already set for us. It was beautiful. We had a beautiful ocean view table the weather was great the view was amazing.. Our waitress was great. the food was great.. Will i go again uh-yeah!!!!.. thanks for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place.. food.. serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/16/2013fantastic setting.. and surprisingly good food.. especially after what the other reviews have said.. we all thoroughly enjoyed the dinner and the setting.. especially at sunset.. was unforgettable.. so why did poor service.. the old amazing disappearing waiter.. have to happen.. its a shame when a basic.. almost ruins a great experience.Special Features:
- Mahalo, Don the Beachcomber!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2013I have been visiting Kailua-Kona for 25 years, and always make a point of dining at Don the Beachcomber at the Royal Kona Resort. It is one of my favorite places on Hawaii Island! The food is excellent, the service is top notch and the ambiance (scenery) is truly amazing. Even better, the cost for all this aloha is quite reasonable for Big Island dining. As a added bonus, Don the Beachcomber sells on of the very best Mai Tais to be found in Hawaii. Try to get there for Happy Hour. I can assure you that you will be "happy" after a couple of their Mai Tais!!! Not to worry, just walk across the walkway into the restaurant and have a wonderful meal. The seafood entrees are very good, as well as the prime rib.Special Features:
- Great Value-Prime Rib SpecialTwidDined on 8/9/2013Margaret our server was excellent and good knowledge of food, wine and area . enjoyed our meal and the beautiful surf! Best buy in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was friendly butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Our server was friendly but a bit slow with getting food out and checking back with us. She seemed busy the entire time, i think they just had too many tables for her to adequately give close attention too. Nice time though, food was good. Great view and sounds of the crashing ocean.Special Features:
- We went for dinner our lastboatbrideDined on 4/4/2013We went for dinner our last night in Hawaii. We timed it so we could watch the sunset and were given an outdoor table which was very nice. Our server, Margaret, was very nice, knowledgeable, and capable. The restaurant seemed understaffed as she had too many tables to cover. We enjoyed our entrees but the dessert - a chocolate volcano cake that required 15 minutes - was a complete failure. There was no molten chocolate - it was cooked too long. the banana creme brulee was similarly disappointing, chunky and bland. The wine list is incredibly overpriced but there are excellent cocktails from which to choose.Special Features:
- Very average. Had bookedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013Very average. Had booked thru Open Table, but restaurant did not have reservation. Thank goodness not busy.Special Features:
- Best spot in Kona!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/21/2013THis place was outstanding, awesome food, fantastic service and the view and environment is just so peaceful, and the best clam chowder I've had to date. Whenever you are the big Island of Hawaii this place is a must.Special Features:
- Table for two facing the sunset,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2013Table for two facing the sunset, outdoor seats, no kids. Tables spaced apart so you feel like it is just you and your spouse. Service was outstanding! Food was superior, although we ate too much! Great wine selection and you can't beat the sunset!Special Features:
- Just a perfect Kona DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2013Just a perfect Kona Dining experience. We could ask for nothing better.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our dinner but whenLaurieDined on 3/9/2013Enjoyed our dinner but when we got to the restaurant they did not have our reservation that we booked on open table.Special Features:
- Amazing view, food was great,prodinerVIPDined on 3/8/2013Amazing view, food was great, and the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- BEST OF KONA FOR WATERSIDE DININGwoohooVIPDined on 3/2/2013THIS BAR AND RESTAURANT HANG OVER THE OCEAN LIKE NO OTHER PLACE. THEY HAVE THE REAL HAWAIIAN FEELING, AND WERE GRANDFATHERED IN 40 YEARS AGO. WE ALWAYS GO THERE WHEN IN KONA TO FEEL THE SPRAY OF THE WAVES IN A ROMANTIC SETTING.Special Features:
- What really makes Don theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/16/2013What really makes Don the Beachcomber notable is the outdoor seating on the water, which makes for a great view. The food was good but not spectacular, and considering the price, I expected a lot more in quality and quantity. You're definitely paying for the view here.Special Features: